• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
i think the problem with a podcast is that none of us have spoken to each other and the interactions between us could be awkward. then there is the issue of who would the regulars be and is MGS-GAF a big enough community to warrant it. content could be difficult once MGSV is out and the hype train dies.

sorry breh, not trying to shoot you down. it could work but it would require a lot of planning.

Lernaean

Banned
i think the problem with a podcast is that none of us have spoken to each other and the interactions between us could be awkward. then there is the issue of who would the regulars be and is MGS-GAF a big enough community to warrant it. content could be difficult once MGSV is out and the hype train dies.

sorry breh, not trying to shoot you down. it could work but it would require a lot of planning.

Unfortunately i agree with all this.
Plus I'm a shy person. No, really :p

Pinewood

I wonder what the maps will be filled up with. I know, or at least I think, TPP won't act like a typical open world with quest givers all over the map but Kojima's obsession with detail and secrets means there has to be something there. Unless it's really big in order to make the approaches to the strongholds and settlements as varied as possible with a ton of ways to tackle a mission.

I really fucking want this game.

I hope the game is big and filled with awesome shit instead of "LOOK HOW FUCKING BIG THIS GAME IS" but it's all empty aside from a few places within the area itself.

I'm guessing it's like Far Cry 2 where you have a big map with outposts, patrols SOME collectables (not the FC 3/4 bs) and some interesting points. Which IMO is super. Don't need stuff laying everywhere with markers blinging if I open a chest spewing XP levels and unnecessary loot.

18mfgm84j37gmjpg.jpg

/dead

Unfortunately i agree with all this.
Plus I'm a shy person. No, really :p

What is happening to the almighty Outer GAF!?

Disappointed_Cat.gif

I would love to try and do a podcast at some point, but I'm not sure I know Metal Gear enough to talk about for hours and not make a fool of myself.

*cue the IGN 720p 60" TV gif but with metal gear characters*

Not for hours. Just short stuff. 15-30 minutes.
Talking about recent news or theories + being silly.

I would love to try and do a podcast at some point, but I'm not sure I know Metal Gear enough to talk about for hours and not make a fool of myself.

yeah, there's certain folks like uknighted,dogg and drk those people know everythingggg..dates and all i'm like shit MGS history course right here.

Pinewood

Not for hours. Just short stuff. 15-30 minutes.
Talking about recent news or theories + being silly.

Huh? I thought the schedule was like this

10 minutes - extended Nuclear intro song
20 minutes - recent Metaru Gia news
10 minutes - Persona corner
20 minutes - Kojima other tweets
30 minuts - action figures with Sn4ke
10 minutes - more tweets
7 minutes - slightle shorter Nuclear
10 minutes - nothing
Kept you waiting, huh?

I think it's an awesome idea, but - to tie in with your cat puns - I would pussy out. Seriously, though, it would require a lot of planning and effort on everyone's part, and when the game is actually out, I know I'm not going to want to talk about it, but play it. But hey, if you find the people who are committed enough to it, then GO FOR IT, because again, awesome idea!

I wonder what the maps will be filled up with. I know, or at least I think, TPP won't act like a typical open world with quest givers all over the map but Kojima's obsession with detail and secrets means there has to be something there. Unless it's really big in order to make the approaches to the strongholds and settlements as varied as possible with a ton of ways to tackle a mission.

Yeah! Don't forget this game will have a free roam system. O_O Lawd.

10 minutes - more tweets
10 minutes - nothing
Kept you waiting, huh?

I think you forgot 69 minutes of
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Rajang

Yeah, I'm curious how they are going to fill the open world with stuff to do. But Kojima also said that it's not going to be like GTA obviously. You're not gonna go: fuck it, tired of the mission, let me call my buddy Ocelot and start golfing or fishing (lol would be fun actually). Or go hunting with DD and kill wild cats :>

10 minutes - more tweets
10 minutes - nothing
Kept you waiting, huh?

Hahahahaha. I love it! :D
Maybe I can do something with that schedule. Maybe I'm gonna try something tomorrow.

I think it's an awesome idea, but - to tie in with your cat puns - I would pussy out. Seriously, though, it would require a lot of planning and effort on everyone's part, and when the game is actually out, I know I'm not going to want to talk about it, but play it. But hey, if you find the people who are committed enough to it, then GO FOR IT, because again, awesome idea!

Hmm...
lazycat.gif

Shy

Oh I agree - I was just posting what will most likely be in the Limited/Collector's Edition. Retailers love to have something different to lure you their way. Let's hope it's the same everywhere you go.
ahhh cool, i thought you had gone mental for a minute there. lol
You've been downloading The Phantom Pain for quite some time.
Yes, I know.
You'd like to know for how long.
I'm afraid it's been 9 years.
LOL.
yeah, there's certain folks like uknighted,dogg and drk those people know everythingggg..dates and all i'm like shit MGS history course right here.
yeah, one of my biggest fears in taking part in a outer-gaf cast would be that they would listen to it and be disgusted by it, and slag it off in one their streams.
which would double hurtful for me, as i'm a sub.

Yeah, I'm curious how they are going to fill the open world with stuff to do. But Kojima also said that it's not going to be like GTA obviously. You're not gonna go: fuck it, tired of the mission, let me call my buddy Ocelot and start golfing or fishing (lol would be fun actually). Or go hunting with DD and kill wild cats :>

initially i thought TPP was going to be like PW each area is going to be divided, but each area was huge. However, this isn't the case since you can explore the area in full detail. I'm just trying to figure out the mission story structure

initially i thought TPP was going to be like PW each area is going to be divided, but each area was huge. However, this isn't the case since you can explore the area in full detail. I'm just trying to figure out the mission story structure

Mission structure has me the most worried.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I have no reason to doubt Kojima, especially since Ground Zeroes is such a good game. The missions will probably be like "Snake, we heard about this thing in Afganistan, we'll drop you off nearby and you figure out the rest", but you can still if you want go and do whatever route you prefer.

I have no reason to doubt Kojima, especially since Ground Zeroes is such a good game. The missions will probably be like "Snake, we heard about this thing in Afganistan, we'll drop you off nearby and you figure out the rest", but you can still if you want go and do whatever route you prefer.

So Afghanistan will have multiple missions before advancing to another stage for instance? i guess the problem lies since the areas are no longer divided my concern lies if we get tired of the same area so to speak but doing different objectives each time.

Rajang

I think its going to be like PW/GZ. Afghanistan is going to be one huge area and you will be doing the main mission of Afghanistan there and all of the Side Ops/Extra Ops that take place there.

Pinewood

So Afghanistan will have multiple missions before advancing to another stage for instance? i guess the problem lies since the areas are no longer divided my concern lies if we get tired of the same area so to speak but doing different objectives each time.

Im guessing we'll have multiple drop-off points and since Afganistal is a large place
leuhkikcskn4.gif
We wont tire of the maps. Im interested if they actually gate the mission area, like Ocelot will call you and tell you to head back or something?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, the areas looks absolutely huge. And I've played Ground Zeroes like 30 hours and I still haven't tired of Camp Omega, it's refreshing to know a level inside out while at the same time be vulnerable enough to be caught.

Pinewood

Shouldn't BB be using a monocular instead of binoculars because of his eye?

Ocelot: Eye expect you the become quite familiar with that monocular of yours
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Snakku: Fuck yu Im taking DD

Im guessing we'll have multiple drop-off points and since Afganistal is a large place
leuhkikcskn4.gif
We wont tire of the maps. Im interested if they actually gate the mission area, like Ocelot will call you and tell you to head back or something?

I'm okay with this, Ocelot screaming "Boss!, return back! it's dark use thermals!" XD

leuhkikcskn4.gif

Actually, Kojima said a while back that you can have a chopper drop you off anywhere, but maybe during a mission they have select points!

i bet free roam gives you the entire map, while missions only allow you to access portions of the map with the appropriate warnings given if you deviate. i think kojima mentioned this at some point last year.

EDIT: here it is

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=16403

The game director explained you can go anywhere in free roam, however once you’re in a mission, there’s a specific mission area. If you leave that area during the mission, you fail said mission. When you’re free roaming, you can go around the game world freely doing side quests and other things.

i bet free roam gives you the entire map, while missions only allow you to access portions of the map with the appropriate warnings given if you deviate. i think kojima mentioned this at some point last year.

EDIT: here it is

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=16403

I wonder if the free roam will have the same set up of guards as the story missions. As in, will the strongholds be empty unless you're going there on a mission. If not, fulton farming might be better on free roam when you're not constrained to an objective.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wonder if the free roam will have the same set up of guards as the story missions. As in, will the strongholds be empty unless you're going there on a mission. If not, fulton farming might be better on free roam when you're not constrained to an objective.

The guard placement has nothing to do with the mission. It depends on the time of day as they've shown in the gamescom gameplay demo.

In the E3 demo there were guards but then in the gamescom demo no guards just because he played at a different time of day.

The guard placement has nothing to do with the mission. It depends on the time of day as they've shown in the gamescom gameplay demo.

In the E3 demo there were guards but then in the gamescom demo no guards just because he played at a different time of day.

But that was on a mission. Do you think it will be the exact same in the free roam mode?

i think what he means is, will the guard placement be the same for free roam vs. a mission. like, can you clear enemies off of an area of the map so when you start the mission they won't be there? or do the parameters change once you're in "mission mode" seems like they'd have to change enemy placement for various side missions ala GZ. so mission A might have guards in a specific area at night, while in a story mission they are in a different spot. if the enemy routines during specific times of day are always the same for every side mission, it would get boring.

plus the fact that the enemies respond to your tactics on subsequent playthroughs (helmets to avoid tranq shots) implies that the game populates guards when you select a mission. so free roam has guards in certain positions throughout the day, but each mission also has different routines

i think what he means is, will the guard placement be the same for free roam vs. a mission. like, can you clear enemies off of an area of the map so when you start the mission they won't be there? or do the parameters change once you're in "mission mode" seems like they'd have to change enemy placement for various side missions ala GZ. so mission A might have guards in a specific area at night, while in a story mission they are in a different spot. if the enemy routines during specific times of day are always the same for every side mission, it would get boring.

plus the fact that the enemies respond to your tactics on subsequent playthroughs (helmets to avoid tranq shots) implies that the game populates guards when you select a mission
Yea, that's kinda what I'm getting at. Was just trying to theorize how free roam would fit into that. Was worried it would be relatively empty with randomly generated vehicle patrols and whatnot.

Yea, that's kinda what I'm getting at. Was just trying to theorize how free roam would fit into that. Was worried it would be relatively empty with randomly generated vehicle patrols and whatnot.

yeah, i'm curious as to how much of the enemy AI will be scripted routines (that the enemy breaks from when you're seen) vs. dynamic (closest thing i could think of is the roaming AI seen in the last of us when they are actively searching for you). either way the more i think about the more i'm realizing the enemy placement has to be set-up differently for missions vs. free-roam based on where objectives are and so forth.

this is probably the type of thing kojima is having his people tweak on a daily basis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom