• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

I haven't platinumed the game yet, but I did the VR missions. They definitely were not fun. The only one I have left on that one are the dog tags.
are the 35 hours in just one run, or in all?

One run requires you finish the game in over 35 hours, among some other requirements. The emblems required you to do some stupid shit, finish the game with less than 250 kills but more than 250 alerts, for example. WTF is that shit yo.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 challenges you for the platinum. You don't have to get ALL the dogtags, just all the special items.

MGS3 also has you do some cool stuff for the platinum. It's the easiest MGS game to platinum.

But MGS4 and Peace Walker? Tedium in the purest of forms.

Resilient

MGS2 challenges you for the platinum. You don't have to get ALL the dogtags, just all the special items.

MGS3 also has you do some cool stuff for the platinum. It's the easiest MGS game to platinum.

I can't wait.

I'm gonna Plat GZ first though. Fkn awesomely fun game.

Frolow

Banned

But to get all the special items you need like 95% of the dog tags anyway.

Palpable

MGS2 challenges MGS4 for the most fucking difficult to get the platinum. The VR missions took forever in MGS2.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now; Morpho in GZ doesn't actually land exactly where you throw the flare, does he? I've thrown it multiple times, but he'll always go to the nearest per-approved landing zone you already can call him in from the iDroid.

ShadeGlacier

Neo Member

Are there more than 218?

Rojo

MGS2 challenges MGS4 for the most fucking difficult to get the platinum. The VR missions took forever in MGS2.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now; Morpho in GZ doesn't actually land exactly where you throw the flare, does he? I've thrown it multiple times, but he'll always go to the nearest per-approved landing zone you already can call him in from the iDroid.

Id say MGS2 plat is harder since not everyone can shoot well with that games controls for the VR Missions.

Palpable

Id say MGS2 plat is harder since not everyone can shoot well with that games controls for the VR Missions.

It isn't hard in terms of skill, it's just hard in terms of there being so much. It's just tedious.

Skipping the marines makes all the difference in the world bro.

edit: you DID skip the marines in the holds right? Because screw that.

Only a couple of those Marines have dog tags to collect, not all of them lol

Sub_Level

Only a couple of those Marines have dog tags to collect, not all of them lol

The side ones are easy. But there are some where you have to tranq like 15 guys to get to 'em.

The framerate goes to shit at that part in every version of the game too (well, I don't know about emulated PC version)

Palpable

The side ones are easy. But there are some where you have to tranq like 15 guys to get to 'em.

The framerate goes to shit at that part in every version of the game too (well, I don't know about emulated PC version)

Ohhhh right right. I did it just for fun. I don't recall the frame rate dipping crazy low, though.

Dawg

Please make the MGS V platinum like MGS 3, with some additional mother base stuff and S ranks.

Not saying I don't want a challenge, but MGS IV and PW are so tedious :(

Auctopus

Please make the MGS V platinum like MGS 3, with some additional mother base stuff and S ranks.

Not saying I don't want a challenge, but MGS IV and PW are so tedious :(

+1 to this. Trophies like nailing all those flashbacks in one play-through, including the ones it doesn't cue for you.

I just beat MGS3 for the first time this weekend. Now I know why people love that one so much. Anyway, should I play Peace Walker before Ground Zeroes?

I just beat MGS3 for the first time this weekend. Now I know why people love that one so much. Anyway, should I play Peace Walker before Ground Zeroes?

Yeah, if you want a better understanding of the plot. There's a summary and a bunch of tapes to listen to in GZ that cover the events, but you'd miss out on a lot. That being said, the story in PW is pretty bad, and while the game itself is still very fun I'd say it's definitely the weakest of the series.

Ishida

Banned
27 years of Metal Gear today!

It's such a honor to be a fan of this incredible franchise. From humble beginnings, to one of the most iconic series in the industry.

Long Live Metal Gear!

ncMGSL.jpg

TopGun

Banned
Just bought one of these for under $40 today!
I really wanted to buy the Ground Zeroes edition of this figure but they are very limited and only come in a bundle. Mainly for the face sculpt and weapons, but this edition is still pretty darn cool.

revoltech-snake-metal-build-solid-review-40.jpg

Thanks for XOF Unit for redirecting me here, didn't occur to me at the moment.

Palpable

Play Arts Kai is crap anyway, avoid buying them.

Really? Why? I have Liquid, Metallic Big Boss, Meryl, MGS2 Raiden, Battle Suit Big Boss, and Kaz. I haven't had a problem with any of them other than one of Meryl's elbow pads keeps falling off.

TopGun

Banned
Really? Why? I have Liquid, Metallic Big Boss, Meryl, MGS2 Raiden, Battle Suit Big Boss, and Kaz. I haven't had a problem with any of them other than one of Meryl's elbow pads keeps falling off.

I've heard from many that PAK models are way too overpriced for what they're worth.

Sushigod7

The Ground Zeroes Snake from Play Arts actually looks pretty good in the quality department I'll be grabbing that looking forward to seeing what they have for Phantom Pain. Will be grabbing that Grey Fox revol for sure.

PerZona

Anybody knows where could I get this picture in poster size?

14581952596_89b01f5c7b_z.jpg

Really want it so that I can hang it beside my 3A's REX poster on my wall :(

NateDog

PAKs are unfortunately rising in price in general and a good bit quicker than the rest of the industry maker's products. I wouldn't mind completely, I mean I look at stuff like the Final Fantasy Dragoon and Cloud and Tifa prototypes and they look incredible, but the issue is how bad some of them end up when they get to the buyer, I mean I have seen some absolute horror shows that astound me when I wonder how they managed to get past QA. Personally apart from the MGS1 figures (Snake and Fox mainly) I haven't liked the look of the latest MGS PAKs. Solidus looked OK actually just I wasn't totally interested. But I didn't like the Raiden one much (even though I was begging for an MGS2 Raiden figure for such a long time) and didn't think it bore a great resemblance but people told me it did. But I saw it in person recently in a store and I still feel the same way. Heck I actually saw it on CDJapan for about €35 recently.

However I did get the Kotobukiya REX and RAY model kits but I have no space for them anywhere so they're still boxed up. I really really wanted to get ThreeA's RAY but I just couldn't justify the money. But even if for a higher price I want to get it some day, I adore RAY's design. But anyway I also have the mini Solid Snake Revoltech figure on order because I thought it looked seriously cool and it might look well with my REX and RAY figures hopefully when it comes to scale.

KAIYODO_REVOLTECH_MINI_4_INCH_METAL_GEAR_SOLID_SNAKE_05.jpg

These are my first Kotobukiya and Revoltech items and I might be grabbing the Raiden Hot Toys one early next year, think I have a problem. Much too many figures.

playing through metal gear 2:solid snake and the back tracking is getting annoying. fun game though. its cool to see that even back then, kojima added little details to his games.

Sub_Level

playing through metal gear 2:solid snake and the back tracking is getting annoying. fun game though. its cool to see that even back then, kojima added little details to his games.

The original Metal Gear is even worse when it comes to backtracking, and the soundtrack sucks so it's just not a fun time. At least the tunes in MG2:SS are catchy and the areas are more detailed.

Resilient

Revoltech is making a Gray Fox figure that looks really good.
RevolMini-Gray-Fox-Prototype.jpg

Play Arts Kai is crap anyway, avoid buying them.

I am a massive PAK junky. I have all the PW human figures, the limited White Raiden from MGR:R, Snake from the 25th MGS series and just got the Ground Zeroes Snake. I need to drop some serious cash on that Grey Fox 25th MGS edition. Shit yeah.

ThisOne

Is it possible to hold up an enemy in mgs2 while they are walking or do I have to do it when they stop? Some of these guys are a pain. Doesn't help that I keep forgetting which buttons do what.

Zushin

Finished MGS1 for the first time a few months ago, got about half way thru MGS2, then took a break until today. Continuing from where I was... O_O story is starting to get confusing Haha. Awesome game though. Looking forward to playing the rest and getting up to speed for MGS5.

Palpable

Got my girlfriend a custom made plushie of the MK.II from MGS4 for our 1 year anniversary. She loved that thing when she watched me play through the game.

BsE_uXSIAAAw2-m.jpg:large

Sub_Level

Is it possible to hold up an enemy in mgs2 while they are walking or do I have to do it when they stop? Some of these guys are a pain. Doesn't help that I keep forgetting which buttons do what.

Remember you can hold your gun up while moving by holding L1. Never need to do that too often but the option is there.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, I have been playing MGS2 for the eleventh time, and I got a question which at this point is really, really nitpicking. Anyway, as the plot implies, Solidus Snake plans to throw a EMP bomb over Manhattan in order to make a land free of the Patriots' control.

Ames: What are you babbling about! The nuclear strike is not a threat -- it's been the objective all along!

Raiden: They plan to slaughter millions of people!?

Ames: No -- a high-altitude detonation. You've heard of the Compton Effect?

Raiden: The total disruption of electronic equipment caused by EMMA pulse.

Ames: Textbook answer. Well, when an average nuclear warhead goes off within the atmosphere, the result is an electromagnetic pulse of up to 50 billion megawatts. The EMMA field can reach tens of thousands of volts per meter, and most electronic equipment will be toast in an instant.

Raiden: If one of the key movers of world economy stops functioning, it could mean the beginning of a global depression.

Ames: But that isn't their aim. What they plan to do is "liberate" Manhattan, pull it offline, and turn it into some kind of a republic. Hence "Sons of Liberty," I suppose.

Now, the question is... What's supposed to be an EMMA pulse or an EMMA field? Is it a mistranslation for EMP? Or some made up concept for the game? Googling those words bring me nothing as far as I tell, and the Compton Effect doesn't have anything related to an Emma.

Palpable

So, I have been playing MGS2 for the eleventh time, and I got a question which at this point is really, really nitpicking. Anyway, as the plot implies, Solidus Snake plans to throw a EMP bomb over Manhattan in order to make a land free of the Patriots' control.

Now, the question is... What's supposed to be an EMMA pulse or an EMMA field? Is it a mistranslation for EMP? Or some made up concept for the game? Googling those words bring me nothing as far as I tell, and the Compton Effect doesn't have anything related to an Emma.

It has to be a mistranslation of EMP. Either that, or Kojima was trying to be clever by connecting that to Hal's sister, Emma. Either way, what was being described there is clearly an EMP field.

Sub_Level

That was a red herring. He never wanted the bomb or even Arsenal for that matter. He only wanted GW. GW was an AI that filtered out information the Patriots did not want the public to know. Guess what part of that information was? A list of names of the Patriots (remember this is before MGS4 so at the time there was still a possibility the Patriots were human members, part of a committee just like the philosophers in MGS3)

The hydrogen bomb and Arsenal might have caused some chaos, as Fortune said, but it would not have destroyed the Patriots.

Of course, his plan went to shit. Emma's virus (the one the president gives to Raiden before Ocelot kills him) destroyed GW, including the information Solidus wanted. Solidus tries to get the information in a last ditch effort by trying to kill Raiden, whose cerebral cortex contains information that could help him locate the Patriots.

As for what EMMA pulse is, I don't know!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno what an EMMA pulse is, but EMMA could stand for ElectroMagnetic Mass Accelerator, which is (sort of) another name for a Rail Gun. That's more of a delivery system though.

Erigu

What's supposed to be an EMMA pulse or an EMMA field? Is it a mistranslation for EMP? Or some made up concept for the game?
The original Japanese text uses the proper terms, there ("denji pulse", "denjiba"). Not sure how the translators got that "EMMA" thing in there.

Resilient

Playing through GZ now to Platinum + 100% it. What an under rated gem, there is so much depth in this game and the story/secrets are just stellar. Really a shame that it got bashed as hard as it did. I am loving the detail they went to with the voice acting. The Deja Vu mission was fucking amazing, especially the quiz at the end.

Maybe the Side-Ops should have been part of the "main" game, so as to lengthen it out a bit and shut some whiners up? I know it's padding but I feel they could have tied it into the story, maybe leading up to the Ground Zeroes mission. Either way I don't give a damn, I loved it.

Zushin

Just finished off MGS2 for the first time.

O_O

Very confusing towards the end there.
If I've got this straight, the Patriots set up the Tanker and Plant situations as a sort of re-creation of Shadow Moses to test how they can manipulate human behaviour? If so, was Arsenal Gear actually important to them, or was that all just a ploy to make the situation seem realistic to Raiden and Solidus so they would go along with the simulation? Seems like it is actually important as Snake/Otacon got the Patriots identities off the disc at the end. Also, the Colonel was AI from the GW (was he real in MGS1?), but what was the situation with Rose? She obviously exists because of the ending, but it seemed like she was also AI?
Sorry about all the questions, but yeah - very confused haha.

Resilient

O_O

If I've got this straight, the Patriots set up the Tanker and Plant situations as a sort of re-creation of Shadow Moses to test how they can manipulate human behaviour? If so, was Arsenal Gear actually important to them, or was that all just a ploy to make the situation seem realistic to Raiden and Solidus so they would go along with the simulation? Seems like it is actually important as Snake/Otacon got the Patriots identities off the disc at the end. Also, the Colonel was AI from the GW (was he real in MGS1?), but what was the situation with Rose? She obviously exists because of the ending, but it seemed like she was also AI?

Depends how in depth answers you want without spoiling some MGS4 stuff. I will say though.

Yes, it was a set-up to gather real data for advancing the Patriots AI.
The Colonel was a part of Raiden really...it's hard to explain but the nanomachines inside Raidens body presented GW to himself in the way he saw the Colonel.
Colonel was real in MGS1.

The rest I will say, play MGS4 :D

Betty

Banned

O_O

-Yes it was all to test if they could manipulate and control human behavior.

-Arsenal Gear was mostly a prop for their set up, the only important function it had was to control information, which they could easily recreate through other means.

-Can't say much about the importance of Arsenal Gear giving up the identities of The Patriots to Snake/Otacon, but if you play MGS4 you'll understand.

-Colonel was real in MGS1, the one in MGS2 isn't, you can tell in MGS2 that he sounds more robotic and inhuman, that was done on purpose to show he's not the same as the one in MGS1.

-Pretty sure you were in contact with the real Rose right up until that big ass speech after Arsenal crashes, then it was just an AI, not entirely sure though

Zushin

Depends how in depth answers you want without spoiling some MGS4 stuff. I will say though.

Yes, it was a set-up to gather real data for advancing the Patriots AI.
The Colonel was a part of Raiden really...it's hard to explain but the nanomachines inside Raidens body presented GW to himself in the way he saw the Colonel.
Colonel was real in MGS1.

The rest I will say, play MGS4 :D

-Yes it was all to test if they could manipulate and control human behavior.

-Arsenal Gear was mostly a prop for their set up, the only important function it had was to control information, which they could easily recreate through other means.

-Can't say much about the importance of Arsenal Gear giving up the identities of The Patriots to Snake/Otacon, but if you play MGS4 you'll understand.

-Colonel was real in MGS1, the one in MGS2 isn't, you can tell in MGS2 that he sounds more robotic and inhuman, that was done on purpose to show he's not the same as the one in MGS1.

-Pretty sure you were in contact with the real Rose right up until that big ass speech after Arsenal crashes, then it was just an AI, not entirely sure though

Cheers guy. Glad I will get some answers in MGS4! Onto Snake Eater now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom