• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

Hmm makes sense, I guess now that I think about it, if you run out of tranq/stun weapons, and you want no alerts, you might just have to go lethal.

Best thing about GZ is that you can finish the missions a bunch of ways for funsies. I enjoyed my stealth/tranq runs but had more fun being a bit rowdy and blowing stuff up, then taking the evac outta there!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In Ground Zeroes it is extremely easy to go full rambo. Auto aim + sniper rifle = instant one-hit kills. It has been easy to go rambo since Snake Eater really. Sons of Liberty was the last one where the guards would mess you up if you weren't on top of things.

In Ground Zeroes it is extremely easy to go full rambo. Auto aim + sniper rifle = instant one-hit kills. It has been easy to go rambo since Snake Eater really. Sons of Liberty was the last one where the guards would mess you up if you weren't on top of things.

That's only because the number of guards is unlimited.

Sub_Level

Guard respawning was about the same as it was in Snake Eater, to my recollection.

It has more to do with 3 and beyond just being easier games overall. That shotgun was ridiculous. Also guards in MGS2 seemed to move a good bit faster.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
That was a red herring. He never wanted the bomb or even Arsenal for that matter. He only wanted GW. GW was an AI that filtered out information the Patriots did not want the public to know. Guess what part of that information was? A list of names of the Patriots (remember this is before MGS4 so at the time there was still a possibility the Patriots were human members, part of a committee just like the philosophers in MGS3)

The hydrogen bomb and Arsenal might have caused some chaos, as Fortune said, but it would not have destroyed the Patriots.

Of course, his plan went to shit. Emma's virus (the one the president gives to Raiden before Ocelot kills him) destroyed GW, including the information Solidus wanted. Solidus tries to get the information in a last ditch effort by trying to kill Raiden, whose cerebral cortex contains information that could help him locate the Patriots.

As for what EMMA pulse is, I don't know!

Oh, yes, I'm aware of all this... That's why I said that the plot implied that idea upon that point in the game.

I dunno what an EMMA pulse is, but EMMA could stand for ElectroMagnetic Mass Accelerator, which is (sort of) another name for a Rail Gun. That's more of a delivery system though.

This works for me.

-----

Anyway, IDW will feature a deluxe collection for the MGS graphic novels in SDCC, so Ashley Wood recreated the Substance cover for the limited edition version of the compilation.

oBBsw4k.jpg

Worth mentioning that -generally- when comic artists make tributes or nods for covers, they only put their signatures along with a "after (original artist)", but Wood wrote more than that.

Protag

Banned
O yeah, i gotta ask, who the HELL is that asian woman who takes the place of the soliton radar in the upper right corner of the screen, when the player is controlling Rai-rai in the Arsenal corridor?

Right before you meet Solid and he gives back all of Jacks equipment and give him Olgas HF blade.

Been wanting to ask that for years, Hideo's wife, model, unknown? If anybody has an answer im really curious.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
O yeah, i gotta ask, who the HELL is that asian woman who takes the place of the soliton radar in the upper right corner of the screen, when the player is controlling Rai-rai in the Arsenal corridor?

Right before you meet Solid and he gives back all of Jacks equipment and give him Olgas HF blade.

Been wanting to ask that for years, Hideo's wife, model, unknown? If anybody has an answer im really curious.

I think that's Yumi Kikuchi? Or perhaps some other gravure idol from back then.

Protag

Banned
Interesting will look her up

Edit; thats right she played Raging Raven, thats why the name sounded familiar. I cant remember if that looks like her in the soliton square footage though

Wynnebeck

Banned
Was I the only one who saw MGS2's monologue at the end of the game almost Evangelion-ish in its delivery? I was half expecting Gendo to pop up out of nowhere lol.

Resilient

LOL!

Best gameplay ever! Just needs a few tweaks, like auto-cover being cumbersome, and it will hold me over for a VERY long time.

Yeah it was a bit awkward to press BB against wall/crates but got there eventually. By far the worst control input is rolling along the ground though my god that was something my poor brain couldn't process.

TheBoss1

Yeah it was a bit awkward to press BB against wall/crates but got there eventually. By far the worst control input is rolling along the ground though my god that was something my poor brain couldn't process.
The issue with auto-cover really shows when in confined spaces or the cover area is very small (area near the power generator is a great example). It will often result in Snake facing the wrong direction, exposing him when trying to readjust, or the camera angle will hinder your ability to see around the cover object.

As for the rolling on the ground mechanic, I like how it's implemented because (IMO) it separates the elite players from the casual fans. An elite player masters a game's controls, which should be deep. Deep enough to have a learning curve, but also easy enough to allow casual fans to "pick up n play" the game.
Please don't kill me, it's just my opinion lol

Resilient

The issue with auto-cover really shows when in confined spaces or the cover area is very small (area near the power generator is a great example). It will often result in Snake facing the wrong direction, exposing him when trying to readjust, or the camera angle will hinder your ability to see around the cover object.

As for the rolling on the ground mechanic, I like how it's implemented because (IMO) it separates the elite players from the casual fans. An elite player masters a game's controls, which should be deep. Deep enough to have a learning curve, but also easy enough to allow casual fans to "pick up n play" the game.
Please don't kill me, it's just my opinion lol

I am gonna have to disagree. The input for rolling is just straight up bad, it hurt my head trying to do that the first time. Controls should be intuitive. I wouldn't call it deep, just...confusing :p

Sub_Level

Overall though, inputs have gotten simpler.

Try playing MGS2 and standing on your tippies toes while aiming in first-person and carefully compressing the trigger on an assault rifle without actually firing whilst auto aiming at a designated target.

Hold R1. Don't let go.
Hold R2 + Hold L2. Don't let go.
Slightly Press Square. Don't let go or press square too hard.
Hold L1. Don't let go.

In that order.

-Deimos

Just finished watching MGS1 on youtube and about to start a playthrough of MGS2. I didn't have the chance to play MGS1 and one thing I noticed is Hayter's voicing was perfect. I never had a problem with his voice as BB but I'll admit he did exaggerate it in MGS3 and PW. It was nice to hear he could pull off a natural sounding young BB/SS.

Palpable

Just finished watching MGS1 on youtube and about to start a playthrough of MGS2. I didn't have the chance to play MGS1 and one thing I noticed is Hayter's voicing was perfect. I never had a problem with his voice as BB but I'll admit he did exaggerate it in MGS3 and PW. It was nice to hear he could pull off a natural sounding young BB/SS.

A lot of people relate his MGS1 voice work to Jeremy Blaustein's voice direction. Oh and Hayter apparently had a cold the whole time.

this was the main thing i tweeted at the konami account that i'd like to see improved. you should be able to turn around just by tapping the stick. the camera should be a bit more forgiving in tight spots here too

Overall though, inputs have gotten simpler.

Try playing MGS2 and standing on your tippies toes while aiming in first-person and carefully compressing the trigger on an assault rifle without actually firing whilst auto aiming at a designated target.

Hold R1. Don't let go.
Hold R2 + Hold L2. Don't let go.
Slightly Press Square. Don't let go or press square too hard.
Hold L1. Don't let go.

In that order.

I feel like the Vita HD collection actually made it much simpler by using the back touchpad for tip-toes and not having pressure sensitive buttons.

Sub_Level

How did they handle the MGS1 Snake VR missions if there are no pressure sensitive buttons? You had to use a loaded M4 in the Hold-Up missions and take precaution not to fire when holding someone up. The pressure sensitive buttons are a PRO, not a CON! PS4 going digital was a disappointment (but also understandable since so few games used it)

How did they handle the MGS1 Snake VR missions if there are no pressure sensitive buttons? You had to use a loaded M4 in the Hold-Up missions and take precaution not to fire when holding someone up. The pressure sensitive buttons are a PRO, not a CON! PS4 going digital was a disappointment (but also understandable since so few games used it)

You just press down on the D-Pad and that brings up your weapon/puts it back away. I appreciate the idea behind using the pressure sensitive buttons to replicate squeezing a trigger, but I found it incredibly frustrating back on the PS2 when I would accidentally shoot someone or put away the gun.

Sub_Level

You just press down on the D-Pad and that brings up your weapon/puts it back away. I appreciate the idea behind using the pressure sensitive buttons to replicate squeezing a trigger, but I found it incredibly frustrating back on the PS2 when I would accidentally shoot someone or put away the gun.

Square is to 'shoot' on the Vita version, correct? Does it shoot the moment you press the button or the moment you take your thumb off? The only way I could see it working is if they did the latter method, because you would just de-equip the gun after pressing and holding square instead of letting it down slowly. But then how do automatic weapons work in the Vita version? Those require you to hold square down.

Damn wish I had that version I am curious to play it for kicks now.

*co-sign*

always hated the pressure sensitive buttons and simply used R2 to put away the weapon instead. i loved the vita implementation

Square is to 'shoot' on the Vita version, correct? Does it shoot the moment you press the button or the moment you take your thumb off? The only way I could see it working is if they did the latter method, because you would just de-equip the gun after pressing and holding square instead of letting it down slowly. But then how do automatic weapons work in the Vita version? Those require you to hold square down.

for semi-auto weapons or single shot, holding square draws the weapon, and letting go of square fires, same as always. for auto it will fire immediately when holding square. this issue is resolved with the down on the D-pad button though. pressing down on the D-pad will draw any weapon without firing it, pressing it while drawn will put the weapon down, making hold-ups even easier

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™;121131634 said:
Heh, I didn't know you could turn the power off to the admin compound in GZ. Neat.

Did you know you can dive into to guards and knock them over? I only found out recently. It's particularly amusing to knock them off cliffs or into cars.

Yeah, square is shoot, and it shoots when you press the button down for machine guns and I believe when you release it for other weapons. So, for machine guns you just press 'down' on the D-Pad to aim with the gun and then hold square to shoot (or you can forgo the aiming and just hold square to spray everything). For pistols you can hold square to bring up the gun, and then release to shoot.

I actually prefer the controls on the Vita version to be honest. I never find myself wrestling with the controls (except for peeking around corners with the rear touch pad, that doesn't always work so well), and the touchscreen for the inventory selection works really well once you get used to it.

Zushin

I just finished off MGS3 last night. Wow, great ending
wasn't expecting the twist with The Boss.
Awesome game, really enjoyed it. Onto MGS4!

$200

Banned
Just tried redeeming the MGS1 download codes from the Legacy Collection I bought a few months ago (for some reason there were two copies in the box). Neither code works; it's saying the code may not be correct or may no longer be valid. Have they already expired?

The Konami Core codes worked fine. It doesn't really bother me either way since I already have MGS1...

Palpable

Just tried redeeming the MGS1 download codes from the Legacy Collection I bought a few months ago (for some reason there were two copies in the box). Neither code works; it's saying the code may not be correct or may no longer be valid. Have they already expired?

The Konami Core codes worked fine. It doesn't really bother me either way since I already have MGS1...

Could it be because you already have it? It wasn't a used copy of Legacy, was it? I didn't think the codes ever expired.

Holykael1

Banned

It might be related to region. The code is region locked. You need to redeem it in an account from the region the game is from.

send the code to me and i'll confirm it's validity on my end

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom