• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

MGS4 never covered it. The Database might have.

An obvious reason to infer would be that he didn't want Liquid possessing him, which does support the notion that he really was possessed in Sons of Liberty.

Doubt it. Eli doesn't look much younger than 12. 1972 is the date they're keeping I think.

I was kidding. Late 50's would mean late 90's for a cloning period should they make that statement match Big Boss's age according to current canon. We should all know why this is a problem. He didn't appear to be in his 70's during MG2, or his MGS artwork.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's been a few years since I last played 4. What reason did they give for Ocelot removing Liquid's arm from himself and replacing it with the artificial one?
He had lost that arm in MGS, so he tried to use Liquid's as a suitable replacement for some reason.

Kojima hadn't thought of metalic arms at the time, basically.

My point was that in order to impersonate Liquid, he didn't need the arm if he had supernatural powers of conjuring the dead, as someone had mentioned.

He had lost that arm in MGS, so he tried to use Liquid's as a suitable replacement for some reason.

In fairness if being able to graft a human arm onto my missing one was a viable technology, I would probably do it too instead of going with a robotic one.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

My point was that in order to impersonate Liquid, he didn't need the arm if he had supernatural powers of conjuring the dead, as someone had mentioned.

Metallic arms probably came as a result of The Patriots messing with cyborg bodies in the meantime (see: Raiden) so it wasn't available in 2005 when Ocelot got his new arm.

$200

Banned
Nanomachines in MGS4 were the whole context of the world/situation that got started/predicted in MGS2. It made absolutely perfect sense.

One of the main themes of MGS4 was humanity being slaved by the technology they created. Nanomachines inside our bodies controlled everything and everyone, down to the civilian level. We were slaves to the tools we created to help us.

Of course, some people simply refuse to see that and "lolnanomachines". But as I said, it's a vocal minority. The game and it's plot were praised by both critics and fans alike.
I do wonder what happened to the "bullet deflecting" tech Fortune and Ocelot used in MGS2 though. Before MGS4 came out I was expecting that tech to be used all over the place in the game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I do wonder what happened to the "bullet deflecting" tech Fortune and Ocelot used in MGS2 though. Before MGS4 came out I was expecting that tech to be used all over the place in the game.

Don't think there's a story reason for it. Just an inconsistency in the writing. Sure, we could speculate why it's not present, but it'd be just that: speculation.

lifa-cobex

It's not over!

Also:

Re: Did Liquid really possess Ocelot

I found a poster on Neoseeker in 2009 discussing the entries on the MGS4 Database regarding Liquid Ocelot:

Can anyone confirm what it says on the Database for me...? Pwetty pwease?

I was under the impression the Liquid was hypnotized voluntarily.
I'm sure BB said that at the end of MGS4?

So if this is the case then I would guess that his "second persona" would click in whenever he was around Snake.

In-fact I believed the "liquid persona" just took over completely in MGS4 right up until Snake beat him back to his senses....

Sub_Level

Real life Metal Gear boss:

14375792699_df5dc95463_o.jpg

Nvzman

It isn't that hard to follow if you just pay attention.

Well yeah, I know that but the whole Patriots thing confuses the ever-living hell out of me.
They're said to be dead/nonexistant in MGS2, then suddenly it turns out in MGS4 that was BS and they aren't? I don't honestly get that.
Other than that the plot is simple to understand, yes.

Palpable

Well yeah, I know that but the whole Patriots thing confuses the ever-living hell out of me.
They're said to be dead/nonexistant in MGS2, then suddenly it turns out in MGS4 that was BS and they aren't? I don't honestly get that.
Other than that the plot is simple to understand, yes.

I think it's fair to speculate that dummy information was planted within the system should anyone find it. That, or it's of previous members of the Philosophers.

Gun Animal

My understanding was that Ocelot used hypnotic suggestion to take on Liquid's personality, while still retaining Ocelot's will. This was to fool the Patriot AI, which was modeled after someone (Zero) who absolutely would have taken the right-arm possession shenanigans at face value after all the shit he'd seen.

MNC

Met up with Huey in Peace Walker. Thank God, I couldn't stand any more of this guerilla war, the real Metal Gear starts now! I've noticed Hayter is becoming gruffier so I reckon this is the game people kind of got sick of him. I Like the short segmented missions but I miss the cinematics. Never liked digital novels.

I can't wait to replay MGS4 with the MGS3 knowledge in mind; I didn't understand anything about the ending.

Sub_Level

Met up with Huey in Peace Walker. Thank God, I couldn't stand any more of this guerilla war, the real Metal Gear starts now!

No way, I liked the sandinista early part of the story more when snake was like a neo che guevara. When it gets to the ai stuff, it gets....crazy.

Salaadin

Honestly, the only aspect of the AI part of Peace Walkers story is the time period that it takes place. Thats some pretty advanced stuff. But this is MGS so....

I just beat chapter 4. Its as good as I remembered. I know there are complaints about the ripped up gameplay and small missions but I feel like the game was designed around it. The stuff they removed is unnecessary because the game never actually needs it. Theres never a moment where I want to crawl or shimmy along the wall.

I also feel like the stuff they added actually improved the gameplay some over MGS4. Things like the limited equipment, heavy restrictions on ammo, always active enemies. Its a nice difficulty spike. Sadly, the difficulty spike doesnt get to rear its head often because of the bite sized nature of the game. Ground Zeroes utilizes it much better.

This was my second time through it aand I think I need to re-evaluate where it stands in my favorite titles. I do think its a better realized game than MGS4 was.

Vodh

Can't wait to be able to read the whole thread - I've been a fan of MGS1, finished it something like 10 times back in the day and twice in the last few years. Due to not having PS2 until like 2 years after PS3 came out, I missed out on anything past 1.

Now I've finally gotten around to playing through the HD collection. Finished 2 today and I'm speechless. What an amazing game. I think the gameplay was a little bit more enjoyable in 1 for me, but having fresh MGS plot to go through made up for that. It felt weird and I loved it - and the second half was amazing - I love those cutscenes and twists and mindfucks.

Now I'm playing through 3 (want to beat them all in order of release) and this time around I'm loving both the plot and the gameplay so far. Refined TPP MGS gameplay, challenging but definitely fair and fun stealth mechanics and all the little bits of polish make this game an outstanding experience. I've just beaten The Pain for anyone who's wondering. I've managed to keep myself largely MGS Spoiler-free over all those years so I'll approach the thread very cautiously for now, but I might keep sharing impressions until I can properly read the thread and engage in discussion :)

Sub_Level

Can't wait to be able to read the whole thread - I've been a fan of MGS1, finished it something like 10 times back in the day and twice in the last few years. Due to not having PS2 until like 2 years after PS3 came out, I missed out on anything past 1.

Now I've finally gotten around to playing through the HD collection. Finished 2 today and I'm speechless. What an amazing game. I think the gameplay was a little bit more enjoyable in 1 for me, but having fresh MGS plot to go through made up for that. It felt weird and I loved it - and the second half was amazing - I love those cutscenes and twists and mindfucks.

Now I'm playing through 3 (want to beat them all in order of release) and this time around I'm loving both the plot and the gameplay so far. Refined TPP MGS gameplay, challenging but definitely fair and fun stealth mechanics and all the little bits of polish make this game an outstanding experience. I've just beaten The Pain for anyone who's wondering. I've managed to keep myself largely MGS Spoiler-free over all those years so I'll approach the thread very cautiously for now, but I might keep sharing impressions until I can properly read the thread and engage in discussion :)

You lucky dog of war, you. MGS2 brought so much to the series gameplay-wise but in terms of game design I definitely prefer 3. That being said, the vr missions in 2 (you can find them on the main menu) still contain some of the most satisfying gameplay in the series.

Resilient

Man those posters are sweet. I found my UK/AUS MGS3 poster under my bed after all these years of searching...it's a little worse for wear but I'm thinking I will frame it and slap it up somewhere. I wouldn't mind one of the MGS original Japanese posters...but they are gonna be harder to find.

Poster under my bed :
page1-1000-full.jpg

lol mine has a stupid "zopmg game ot the forever 12/10" print in the corner. god damnit.

MNC

No way, I liked the sandinista early part of the story more when snake was like a neo che guevara. When it gets to the ai stuff, it gets....crazy.

It has its charms, but it's ultimately not what I am expecting from a Metal Gear game. I so far haven't cared for any of the side characters to be quite honest. They've been introduced but they don't feel established. I guess I just miss the big MGS characters from that timeline (Ocelot, Major Zero, EVA), but that would be too fanservice-y.

Since E3 i've been on a metal gear solid kick and wanted to get to MGS PW and GS since i hadn't played them yet. But first I wanted to go through the whole MGS series

So far i've played and completed MGS1 on Vita and MGS2 HD on PS3. I've replayed these games more than once but going back to them and revisiting them after some years has been great. In each case the games are still amazing. I can't wait to dive into MGS3 soon

Sushigod7

Since E3 i've been on a metal gear solid kick and wanted to get to MGS PW and GS since i hadn't played them yet. But first I wanted to go through the whole MGS series

So far i've played and completed MGS1 on Vita and MGS2 HD on PS3. I've replayed these games more than once but going back to them and revisiting them after some years has been great. In each case the games are still amazing. I can't wait to dive into MGS3 soon

I've been trying too, my mission this weekend is to finish 2!

Resilient

That Metallic GZ Snake is just ridiculous. It's like 200AU on eBay. If anybody knows where I can find it cheaper is be eternally grateful. Not really keen on dropping that kind of cash on one Kai figure but don't really have a choice. The Peace Walker range was ridiculous. I have all the figures but none of the AIs and there are too many + too big!!

Resilient

Thanks for the info. It's gonna be tough, but I plan to platinum every MGS. I'm still thinking about going for Rising's.

Not so much tough IMO just time consuming.
Much of the 4 run is spent wasting time (one emblem requires a play through of 35 hours). The rest is just fulfilling kill requirements (259 of x, y etc).

The tough part is the Big Boss run but I always felt MGS is easiest when playing stealth and no kills.

TopGun

Banned
Anyone with the Revoltech Big Boss figure want to recommend it? I'm thinking about buying it but I'm not sure if it's really worth the purchase.

ShadeGlacier

Neo Member
Have fun with MGS2's Platinum. The VR Missions are a bitch.

I haven't platinumed the game yet, but I did the VR missions. They definitely were not fun. The only one I have left on that one are the dog tags.
Not so much tough IMO just time consuming.
Much of the 4 run is spent wasting time (one emblem requires a play through of 35 hours). The rest is just fulfilling kill requirements (259 of x, y etc).

The tough part is the Big Boss run but I always felt MGS is easiest when playing stealth and no kills.
are the 35 hours in just one run, or in all?

TopGun

Banned
Those with the Big Boss emblem in 4, what was the hardest aspect of the game for you? For me , it was fighting Laughing Octopus, and Act III motorcycle chase. Otherwise the game was pretty straight forward, Act I, IV, and V are very straight forward.

I managed to get my Act I time down to 12 minutes, compared to my first ever BBE run of 30 minutes. I'd like to do another run and get it to a very low 2 hour time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom