• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal9001

Banned
cu0Zbt1.png

A Metal Gear Solid film directed by Nicolas Winding Refn would be incredible.

Frolow

Banned
Congrats. Took me forever to finish the VR missions. I'd take the RAY fight on extreme over redoing all the VR missions over again D:

The VR Missions, while tedious, didn't give much trouble up until the MGS1 Snake Missions. When I got to those, I seriously considered quitting it entirely. The only reason I came back to them was because I was so close to finishing everything and figured "I wasted this many hours on this, might as well finish it off."

MNC

Overall though, inputs have gotten simpler.

Try playing MGS2 and standing on your tippies toes while aiming in first-person and carefully compressing the trigger on an assault rifle without actually firing whilst auto aiming at a designated target.

Hold R1. Don't let go.
Hold R2 + Hold L2. Don't let go.
Slightly Press Square. Don't let go or press square too hard.
Hold L1. Don't let go.

In that order.
When you describe it like that, it's horrible. But if you get the hang of the first person controls in MGS2/3, it's sooooo satisfying.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
8173439_222591650_14439456

Finished up this yesterday. All I have to say is fuck RAY fight on Extreme.

The funniest part is that on Very Easy or even on Easy difficulty you can finish that fight in literally under 60 seconds. They REALLY stretched out the difficulty in MGS2 and MGS3, although Snake Eater didn't really have anything on Extreme as bad as some of the stuff in MGS2. I remember Volgin being a pain. Didn't think Fury or The Boss were that hard although some people really have trouble with them.

When you describe it like that, it's horrible. But if you get the hang of the first person controls in MGS2/3, it's sooooo satisfying.

Oh don't get me wrong I think the controls are perfect given the mechanics. They take getting used to though for sure. I don't know if you have ever seen a person unfamiliar with the old games try to aim for the first time in MGS2 or MGS3 but it is truly a sight to behold lol.

The VR Missions, while tedious, didn't give much trouble up until the MGS1 Snake Missions. When I got to those, I seriously considered quitting it entirely. The only reason I came back to them was because I was so close to finishing everything and figured "I wasted this many hours on this, might as well finish it off."

Hand Grenade Mission 5
Variety Mission 1 (sniping like 30 guards)

^Beware all who try to complete these two missions. Anger and sorrow await.

The funniest part is that on Very Easy or even on Easy difficulty you can finish that fight in literally under 60 seconds. They REALLY stretched out the difficulty in MGS2 and MGS3, although Snake Eater didn't really have anything on Extreme as bad as some of the stuff in MGS2. I remember Volgin being a pain. Didn't think Fury or The Boss were that hard although some people really have trouble with them.

On my first extreme run, fury and boss gave me fits. When I did it recently, I had no problems at all.... but yeah, it's definitely a LOT easier than MGS2. If you'd like to torture yourself, try an mgs2 extreme run on vita

Sub_Level

On my first extreme run, fury and boss gave me fits. When I did it recently, I had no problems at all.... but yeah, it's definitely a LOT easier than MGS2. If you'd like to torture yourself, try an mgs2 extreme run on vita

"mgs2 extreme on vita

no non-mandatory items

no saves

no continues (exit back to main menu and start from scratch)

no kills

no alerts

you must beat the game in under 90 real world minutes

every time you die or fail to make the time you must literally stab your hand with a kitchen knife"

The ultimate challenge. Only the foxiest of hounds can do it.

Frolow

Banned
"mgs2 extreme on vita

no non-mandatory items

no saves

no continues (exit back to main menu and start from scratch)

no kills

no alerts

you must beat the game in under 90 real world minutes

every time you die or fail to make the time you must literally stab your hand with a kitchen knife"

The ultimate challenge. Only the foxiest of hounds can do it.
That's literally impossible since the World Record for MGS2 is 1:32 in-game time, which doesn't account for cutscenes.

GAF: who do you think is the hardest boss in the series?

The Olga fight on European Extreme has always given me nightmares. I don't have trouble with the Harrier, nor the twenty-five Metal Gear RAY units, or any other MGS2 boss on that difficulty, but for whatever reason, I've always struggled with the Olga encounter. The first Sniper Wolf shootout is also problematic for me, because I'm hot garbage when it comes to... aiming.

Durden77

Oh sweet! Hadn't noticed this thread before. I'm a huge MG fan, but I stray away from the MGSV thread because I always like to know as little as possible about each new MG before I play them. I only watch the official trailers.

Cool to see there's just a thread for just a community! I guess to say hi for better or worse, I will post this...

o2qJEAk.jpg

I love me some Yoji. First tattoo I ever got. Could not be happier with it.

Palpable

Oh sweet! Hadn't noticed this thread before. I'm a huge MG fan, but I stray away from the MGSV thread because I always like to know as little as possible about each new MG before I play them. I only watch the official trailers.

Cool to see there's just a thread for just a community! I guess to say hi for better or worse, I will post this...

o2qJEAk.jpg

That's fucking awesome.

Sub_Level

I'm usually pretty judgmental and critical of tattoos, much less videogame tattoos, but that's actually pretty cool. Good choice.

GAF: who do you think is the hardest boss in the series?

I've only played through the series (some games multiple times) on normal difficulty (really should rectify this), but REX from MGS1 gave me the most trouble. You have to time your chaff throws/missle shots perfectly for the first part, and then you have a part 2 where you can't use chaff and have to dodge REX's attacks while locking on and shooting missiles back. And, if you die you have to start from the first part again.

Honestly 1 had much harder bosses than the rest of the series by far (again, on normal difficulty). Sniper Wolf was also a pain in the ass, but that's mostly due to aiming the sniper on the Vita sticks I'm assuming.

MGS3 may have the best boss fights overall, but they are also definitely the easiest.

I've been wanting to play MGS4 again for a long time, I've watched streams to refresh myself on the story but I keep wanting to play through for myself, but couldn't because my PS3 shat itself 3 years ago.

Buuuuut I found out that the Playstation Now beta is going public in a few days (7.31) and what do you know, MGS4 is one of the available games to rent.

Looks like I'm going to finally be able to play through it again comfortably from my PS4, how great is that.

Resilient

While the MGS2 cover art is fkn awesome. It makes zero sense. I don't remember Snake ever looking at me while seeming that pissed off. Maybe in MGS4. Come on Snake. What happened to make you look so god damn angry on the cover?

Alienous

o2qJEAk.jpg

Tweet this to Kojima.

THAT is fan dedication.

Zushin

So just finished MGS4. Thought it was pretty great. Few questions:

So what was the go with Ocelot? He was "faking" being Liquid via the use of Nanomachines? Why? If so that means what Liquid did in MGS1 to try and create Outer Heaven ended with MGS1 and wasn't really linked to MGS4 at all (for example, Liquid wasn't demanding Big Boss's corpse in MGS1 to unlock the AI, correct?) Also, since Ocelot wasn't planning on Sunny leaving the part of the JD that keeps the world running properly unaffected, and as Ocelot, Eva, Naomi and Big Boss were working together to end The Patriots doesn't that mean their plan sort of failed? I mean I guess they succeeded in getting rid of the patriots, but the world is still somewhat controlled by them. And lastly, why was Naomi with Ocelot/Eva/etc? And couldn't they have accomplished their goals by involving Snake, instead of fighting against him? Seems like they had the same sort of endgame in mind.

Sorry for all the questions, and they are probably pretty obvious. Just a lot to take in :) Thanks.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

o2qJEAk.jpg

Holy shit, this is very well done. Looks amazing and yeah tweet this to Konami and Kojima.

Durden77

That's fucking awesome.

I'm usually pretty judgmental and critical of tattoos, much less videogame tattoos, but that's actually pretty cool. Good choice.

Holy shit, this is very well done. Looks amazing and yeah tweet this to Konami and Kojima.

Thanks a lot everyone. Yeah I know how judgmental people can be about tattoos, especially video game ones. That's why I said for better or worse. The main reason I got it was just because of pure art though, and that's what makes it so fucking cool. I'll get people all around saying "DAMN THAT SHIT IS SICK!" and I'm just like, well yeah, it's fucking Metal Gear. It makes me psyched to share Shinkawa's art with the world on my arm.

My friend that knows little to nothing about MG actually loved it so much that she shared it on reddit, and it was on the front page for the entire day. I've never thought about tweeting it to Kojima....oh man I'm definitely doing that tomorrow.

While the MGS2 cover art is fkn awesome. It makes zero sense. I don't remember Snake ever looking at me while seeming that pissed off. Maybe in MGS4. Come on Snake. What happened to make you look so god damn angry on the cover?

That's part of the reason why this particular piece entrances me so much though. It's Snake, defined. It shows the emotions that I feel like he wants to show, but that just don't quite fully come to the surface. The raw. The aggression. The brutality. The soldier. All the things that actually make him the somewhat sad soldier that he is. All put together with that Shinkawa style that adds even more dynamic by giving the effect that he's just shattering through metal. I will always love MG art and Yoji's work, but to me this cover art always defined the entire series and Solid Snake as a character so clearly to me. It's my pinnacle.

Tommy DJ

This has probably been posted before but holy shit I would throw down money on the spot for this Liquid sculpture. Most sculptures are pretty insipid but holy fuck does it capture Yoji Shinkawa's art perfectly:

KHMs81W.jpg

Its just such a shame that its a garage kit. This is the awesome person responsible for it.

TheBoss1

I've been wanting to play MGS4 again for a long time, I've watched streams to refresh myself on the story but I keep wanting to play through for myself, but couldn't because my PS3 shat itself 3 years ago.

Buuuuut I found out that the Playstation Now beta is going public in a few days (7.31) and what do you know, MGS4 is one of the available games to rent.

Looks like I'm going to finally be able to play through it again comfortably from my PS4, how great is that.

Where'd you hear this?

ref

o2qJEAk.jpg

That's a fucking sick tattoo dude, it's really well done.

MNC

Well, finished Peace Walker. This ending is some kind of bullshit. The nuclear deterrence theme is pretty good, but all this Boss AI bullshit, I'm not buying... It almost smears the experience that MGS3 was.

Now I just want to replay MGS3 for all its glory.

Hopefully GZ/Phantom Pain are better. I dunno, Peace Walker's gameplay was good but I'm just not a fan of the mission based approach to such a story driven game. Plus I disliked the digital novel cutscenes.

Oh, apparently there's a chapter 5.

Well, finished Peace Walker. This ending is some kind of bullshit. The nuclear deterrence theme is pretty good, but all this Boss AI bullshit, I'm not buying... It almost smears the experience that MGS3 was.

Now I just want to replay MGS3 for all its glory.

Hopefully GZ/Phantom Pain are better. I dunno, Peace Walker's gameplay was good but I'm just not a fan of the mission based approach to such a story driven game. Plus I disliked the digital novel cutscenes.

Oh, apparently there's a chapter 5.

you definitely should finish that before you play GZ...otherwise it won't make sense. it doesn't take long, but it's not 100% straight forward exactly what you're supposed to do

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
In the past couple of years my interest in gaming has gone down a bit which leaves me with a bit of a problem. I've picked up the habit of not completing my games. And I'm not talking about 100%ing but just finishing the singleplayer mode of a game. Or taking a very long time doing so, playing multiple singleplayer games at the same time, losing half the story in the process.

My MGS history is something like this:

-MGS2 (PS2)
-MGS The Twin Snakes (not finished) (NGC)
-MGS1 (PC)
-MGS2 (PS2)
-MGS1 (PC)
-MGS4 (PS3)
-MGS4 (PS3)
-MGS Peace Walker (not finished)(360)
-MGS5GZ (360) 100%
-Metal Gear (not finished)(360)

Obviously it is about time to pop the HD remake of MGS3 into my 360 and play (supposedly) the best MGS in the series. However I don't want to fuck up my playthrough by setting it aside for too long after I've started it or just stop playing all together.

So, how do I get psyched for playing MGS3? To get ready I'm finishing the game I'm playing now (Remember Me). I'm also going to watch a retrospective up to MGS3.

I know this might seem like a strange problem, but any further ideas are welcome!

In the past couple of years my interest in gaming has gone down a bit which leaves me with a bit of a problem. I've picked up the habit of not completing my games. And I'm not talking about 100%ing but just finishing the singleplayer mode of a game. Or taking a very long time doing so, playing multiple singleplayer games at the same time, losing half the story in the process.

My MGS history is something like this:

-MGS2 (PS2)
-MGS The Twin Snakes (not finished) (NGC)
-MGS1 (PC)
-MGS2 (PS2)
-MGS1 (PC)
-MGS4 (PS3)
-MGS4 (PS3)
-MGS Peace Walker (not finished)(360)
-MGS5GZ (360) 100%
-Metal Gear (not finished)(360)

Obviously it is about time to pop the HD remake of MGS3 into my 360 and play (supposedly) the best MGS in the series. However I don't want to fuck up my playthrough by setting it aside for too long after I've started it or just stop playing all together.

So, how do I get psyched for playing MGS3? To get ready I'm finishing the game I'm playing now (Remember Me). I'm also going to watch a retrospective up to MGS3.

I know this might seem like a strange problem, but any further ideas are welcome!

the big issue with MGS3 is that it starts quite slow and is front loaded with cutscenes and radio convos up the wazoo. if that's an issue for you, you'll have to power through the first couple of hours. from then on it's probably the "meatiest" MGS in terms of gameplay.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
the big issue with MGS3 is that it starts quite slow and is front loaded with cutscenes and radio convos up the wazoo. if that's an issue for you, you'll have to power through the first couple of hours. from then on it's probably the "meatiest" MGS in terms of gameplay.

Well the long cutscenes in MGS4 didn't bother me, so I guess I'm quite resilient to that. And pointing out the gameplay as a plus sounds great because I think that is exactly why I got so much mileage out of MGS5GZ, they just let you play for the most of it. Thanks for the heads up!

Sub_Level

Well the long cutscenes in MGS4 didn't bother me, so I guess I'm quite resilient to that. And pointing out the gameplay as a plus sounds great because I think that is exactly why I got so much mileage out of MGS5GZ, they just let you play for the most of it. Thanks for the heads up!

Keep in mind that unlike the other games, MGS3 has an option to change camera styles. By pressing down the right stick you can switch to either a Splinter Cell/new type of camera which you can rotate around Snake with the right stick that most people prefer or the old MGS/classic type of top-down camera that Snake Eater (the first PS2 version of the game) originally shipped with.

MNC

Finished Peace Walker; that was such an extensive prologue I don't even know why they put it behind an 'unlocking' barrier. Perhaps for the more dedicated players/fans. So that's the first official sign of
Zero/Cipher/The Patriots
in the chronological timeline. I guess I should go play MGS4 now since I forgot fuck-all about that whole convoluted story. Cannot wait for Phantom Pain though!

Edit: So wait a sec... Going through the wiki (I never fully get the story on my first playthrough) when the fuck did this happen

[...] Afraid of losing the Patriots' idol, Zero carried out a secret project known as "Les Enfants Terribles", in which Para-Medic would use Big Boss's DNA to create a number of clones. With EVA serving as the surrogate mother[...]

EVA was the mother? Was that part of MGS4? Was that why she was called Big Momma? :p Oh man, it's been like 5 years... And when was Big Boss ever part of the first group of Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom