• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpable

And as I said to you, your (ridiculously extreme) example isn't even comparable to their being a smattering of Afro-Ruskies in the Soviet Army in 80s Afghanistan, so I'm not entirely sure what point you were trying to make.

My ridiculous example was in response to your out of place examples of bringing unrelated sci-fi elements into it. Nevermind this suspension of disbelief shit. I wanted to know if it was historically accurate since the subject I questioned has NOTHING to do with sci-fi.

Screaming Meat said:
Out of interest, did you actually read any of the sources I linked about Afro-Russians?

Skimmed. Don't worry, I believed you. I asked someone knowledgeable and got an answer too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My ridiculous example was in response to your out of place examples of bringing unrelated sci-fi elements into it. Nevermind this suspension of disbelief shit. I wanted to know if it was historically accurate since the subject I questioned has NOTHING to do with sci-fi.

Already covered:

Ask yourself this: "Why do these inaccuracies affect my enjoyment of the game?"

When you have your answer, you'll likely realise that it boils down to something akin to immersion; the game building a "believable" (as in consistent with it's own internal logic) world for the player to be a part of. When a game world does this it helps create a state in the player where they can suspend their disbelief over the more fantastical elements, like the sci-fi stuff, which can threaten this believability. The MGS series goes out of it's way to integrate that stuff by trying to ground it as much as possible. We know these things can't or don't exist, but if the world presents them in a consistent way, we can suspend our disbelief and be more immersed in the game.

So you're prioritising what stuff affects that suspension of disbelief. Both historical accuracy and the sci-fi elements boil down to that fact. For whatever reason, you find it more believable to have bipedal nuclear-equipped battle tanks and psychics in an MGS game, over the Soviet Army having the occasional black soldier.

This was pre-asking your History teaching Uncle, btw. So don't get your knickers in a twist about the last line.

Okay, so can we stahp now? We're just going around in circles.

i just wanted to hop in a point out that most of the environments seen in MGS3, (folliage, animals, etc) are completely inaccurate and don't exist in russia.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i just wanted to hop in a point out that most of the environments seen in MGS3, (folliage, animals, etc) are completely inaccurate and don't exist in russia.

ginsberg-get-out-while-you-can.gif

Palpable

Yeah, that area on the map where the game took place wasn't jungle at all. It was years before I found that out.

I was pretty worried there for a while but that last few posts show that the thread has gotten back on track to what a Metal Gear thread is supposed to be like.

MNC

Whenever I listen to Nuclear in my car on my way to or from work - I always think "cant fkn wait to play TPP" and imagine myself controlling BB and being happy af to be playing in...the song/lyrics fit so well with V

Aaaaand done.

Final avatar arrangement complete, back page now has all names. PM of final full res files will be sent to Infinity as soon as I finish this post.

Some notes:

- Yes, all avatars are there.

- Avatar arrangement was based on creating a smooth blend for the image, while also making sure every avatar gets some degree of space. So even you aren't there as much as the next guy, you ARE there :)

- See your name but not your avatar? Send me a PM and I'll help locate your avatar in the image.

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

the thread has gotten back on track to what a Metal Gear thread is supposed to be like.

ijP6xFGq9aNto.gif

Aaaaand done.

Final avatar arrangement complete, back page now has all names. PM of final full res files will be sent to Infinity as soon as I finish this post.

Some notes:

- Avatar arrangement was based on creating a smooth blend for the image, while also making sure every avatar gets some degree of space. So even you aren't there as much as the next guy, you ARE there :)

- See your name but not your avatar? Send me a PM and I'll help locate your avatar in the image.

Whoa!!!!! AMAZING WORK! THANK YOU!

Dawg

Why do I have a feeling this is gonna be a close one?

Didn't Tora say he'd want it before the 13th? :p

Then again, I have no idea how quick shipping is from Infinity's location to Tora. I'm just glad it wasn't me this time, because it would take like two weeks from my place :p

Palpable

Looks amazing. I got him PM and will be getting it printed in a few days. Tora said he wants it to him by the 13/14 of this month. I live 1 state away from him. I'll do express 2 day shipping to make sure he gets it in time. Don't worry, we've got this c:

Why do I have a feeling this is gonna be a close one?

Didn't Tora say he'd want it before the 13th? :p

Then again, I have no idea how quick shipping is from Infinity's location to Tora. I'm just glad it wasn't me this time, because it would take like two weeks from my place :p

even regular mail (the cheapest you can do) across the united states only takes one week or less. from vegas to california would be a few days at the most

Dawg

Looks amazing. I got him PM and will be getting it printed in a few days. Tora said he wants it to him by the 13/14 of this month. I live 1 state away from him. I'll do express 2 day shipping to make sure he gets it in time. Don't worry, we've got this c:

even regular mail (the cheapest you can do) across the united states only takes one week or less. from vegas to california would be a few days at the most

NnbVUo.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
Aaaaand done.

Some notes:

Man my name is on that list ;_)

so awesome

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Aaaaand done.

Some notes:

slow-clap-gif.gif

Brilliant work, dude.

Akiller

Aaaaand done.

Some notes:

No, thanks to you joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom