• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

I'm guessing the Skull Face/Zero/Patriots plot is the main plot thread, while DD, Quiet, Liquid, Code Talker, etc are all subplots.

I think Liquid and Code Talker are going to have a role in the main plot. It would be odd if Liquid was an optional story character.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
welp i got a ps3 again now. 6th one. playing mgs2 hd now. Much better than pc version (although pcsx2 emulation might be better)

Dog tags and vr mission time! Already have Snake Eater platinum.

Just the fact that he's not gonna be a buddy....right?

You never know with Kojima. The End is old as hell yet I wouldn't mind having him as a buddy. Code Talker may be able to float around and kill people with his mind for all we know given what Quiet is able to do.

I need MGS-GAF to watch this.

http://youtu.be/8GeFjzdY-Sk

imRvfpb9PbQTv.gif

Why?

btw, that orange thing in the corner simply looks like a tunnel

everytime i watch one of these mgs videos, i feel like i'm watching the video game equivalent of one of those Illuminati 911 truther videos

Skullface

btw, that orange thing in the corner simply looks like a tunnel

everytime i watch one of these mgs videos, i feel like i'm watching the video game equivalent of one of those Illuminati 911 truther videos

The score is very on par with those illuminati vids. Holy shit, I cringed through that whole thing...

You never know with Kojima. The End is old as hell yet I wouldn't mind having him as a buddy. Code Talker may be able to float around and kill people with his mind for all we know given what Quiet is able to do.

I'll be putting Code Talker in my intel unit. I'll need him to decipher... Codes. And what not.

Sub_Level

I beat all of regular Raiden's VR/Alternative missions in under 2 hours :D

Altogether the mission mode easily adds a good ~15 hours to the game. More if you get stuck on certain levels (AKA MGS1 Snake missions). I think having both Pliskin and Tuxedo Snake is redundant. But at least they change up the levels and have different music for each character (which is crazy).

MGS1 VR Missions had more crazy bonus levels. Once you got to Variety Mode after slogging through Sneaking, Weapon, and Advanced it was just a ton of awesome crazy shit. But just in terms of your everyday Sneaking and Weapon modes I prefer MGS2 by far.

The PSG1 levels really drive it home how much they improved the sniper controls in Snake Eater and subsequently MGS4. In terms of game speed, though, I think MGS2 is the fastest, beaten only by perhaps Ground Zeroes thanks to the sprinting ability in that game. You can really go through levels quick and later on as the difficulty ramps up it becomes a necessity. MGS3 and MGS4 had a slower pace (although obviously you can speedrun those as well)

</buncha words and stuff>

That reminded me of those MGS1 Snake hold up missions and how horrible they are. I'm not sure how I did them all...twice. Doing all those Raiden missions in two hours seems pretty quick though. Kudos.

Sub_Level

That reminded me of those MGS1 Snake hold up missions and how horrible they are. I'm not sure how I did them all...twice. Doing all those Raiden missions in two hours seems pretty quick though. Kudos.

Yeah that was some trial-and-error BS. The other characters were instant game over upon discovery too but had more breathing room for on-the-spot improvisation. My favorite of the Hold Up levels is the Strut E Heliport one. You can play that mission straight from the radar alone, it's really fun.

Nice. I'm guessing Knack must have had a bundle or special or something. Or maybe it's because it's one of the few family games.

That video everyones quoting was taken down. what was it?
err maybe its best I don't know.

Nice. I'm guessing Knack must have had a bundle or special or something. Or maybe it's because it's one of the few family games.

irrc Knack was a free game for everyone that bought PS4s in JPN lol

So basically MGS is best selling!!!

Vally

That video everyones quoting was taken down. what was it?
err maybe its best I don't know.

One of those crazy conspiratorial videos, something about how the game has this theme of mirroring things (fox vs xof, etc) and that there was an ambulance in one of the trailers that had the text backwards (like all ambulances) and Kiefer was in the movie Mirrors which also had an ambulance at the end so that meant Kiefer was a phantom. Or something. I don't even know what point he was trying to make lol.

Skullface

Another dumb conspiracy that made no sense what so ever. Seriously, I'm still not sure what he was trying to prove.

I think it was attention seeking. Dude man probably took it down when it was pointed out that there was a very reasonable explanation as to why the word "ambulance" was printed the way it was.

Sub_Level

Maybe I am just seeing things, but it looks like the Grey Fox visor goes down when using the NVGs?

15438287546_57d393d6d3_b.jpg

15274670930_ce2eff6c75_b.jpg

Yep. The details for just an extra skin no less am i right?

also,

It's too bad the nightvision in V look's really fuckin stupid.

044aee3ca03907f4a69311dacb83aa1166e0c967.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

who prompted this decision i wonder? is it for the sake of the player's field of vision? gameplay purposes?

why yellow highlights? just why?

This is why i enjoy playing the game monochrome.

Yep. The details for just an extra skin no less am i right?

also,

It's too bad the nightvision in V look's really fuckin stupid.

044aee3ca03907f4a69311dacb83aa1166e0c967.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

who prompted this decision i wonder? is it for the sake of the player's field of vision? gameplay purposes?

why yellow highlights? just why?

This is why i enjoy playing the game monochrome.

it's night-vision and thermal all in one, hence the yellow

it's night-vision and thermal all in one, hence the yellow

Oh............so...........hence the 1970's technology?

I mean I'm only questioning this based solely on the fact that on the lower left hand corner of the menu hud it says the words 'night vision' before goggles.

Also, I do believe that this was the case with the solid eye in 4(thermal/night vision) yet everything was highlighted white.

Look, it's just an aesthetic complaint, not a practical one. cuz, you know, life is fair and I am important.

Oh............so...........hence the 1970's technology?

I mean I'm only questioning this based solely on the fact that on the lower left hand corner of the menu hud it says the words 'night vision' before goggles.

Also, I do believe that this was the case with the solid eye in 4(thermal/night vision) yet everything was highlighted white.

Look, it's just an aesthetic complaint, not a practical one. cuz, you know, life is fair and I am important.

haha. yeah all the enemies and rats and whatever else show up as yellow also, so it's dual function as night vision and thermal

Sub_Level

At least its not the fuglt red thermal goggles of the original MGS1 and pre-Substance Sons of Liberty.

I think the original MGS1 had the best night vision. Only used it in the wolf cave tho...

Switching gears for minute.....................gears........................*face palm.

"Early backstoryEdit
In Metal Gear 2, Fox claims that he was a half-white living in Vietnam, sent to a forced labor camp after the war (which ended in 1975), before Big Boss saved him for the first time.[36] In addition, the Metal Gear Solid Official Mission Handbook states that he was born in the 1970s to unknown parents, and was of Vietnamese and German-American descent.[37] However, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops later contradicts the Handbook's account with his appearance in 1970, though he retains a German-speaking background. In addition, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes revealed that Big Boss was in a coma after the Vietnam War ended and did not wake up until 1984, contradicting Fox's account in Metal Gear 2."

Despite all this, and the PO bullshit(sorry, wasn't fond of his inclusion in that one) I hope that Frank makes an appearance in the phantom pain.

I'm also fairly certain there will be a whole heaping of retcons left and right in the final product, but If there's one I'd be totally ok with, it'd be Frank's nationality. Solely for the fact that I'd want no other person to play him but this man:

315301-eagles.jpg

I always figured that Chris Zimmerman cast him because given what little was established of Fox around the time of MGS it made sense because of his backstory involving places like zanzibar and mozambique.

anyone? thoughts?

Skullface

Switching gears for minute.....................gears........................*face palm.

"Early backstoryEdit
In Metal Gear 2, Fox claims that he was a half-white living in Vietnam, sent to a forced labor camp after the war (which ended in 1975), before Big Boss saved him for the first time.[36] In addition, the Metal Gear Solid Official Mission Handbook states that he was born in the 1970s to unknown parents, and was of Vietnamese and German-American descent.[37] However, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops later contradicts the Handbook's account with his appearance in 1970, though he retains a German-speaking background. In addition, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes revealed that Big Boss was in a coma after the Vietnam War ended and did not wake up until 1984, contradicting Fox's account in Metal Gear 2."

Despite all this, and the PO bullshit(sorry, wasn't fond of his inclusion in that one) I hope that Frank makes an appearance in the phantom pain.

I'm also fairly certain there will be a whole heaping of retcons left and right in the final product, but If there's one I'd be totally ok with, it'd be Frank's nationality. Solely for the fact that I'd want no other person to play him but this man:

315301-eagles.jpg

I always figured that Chris Zimmerman cast him because given what little was established of Fox around the time of MGS it made sense because of his backstory involving places like zanzibar and mozambique.

anyone? thoughts?

I usually tend to agree with you, but none of the characters had particularly well established backgrounds at the time of MGS. At least not in the west. I don't know what Zimmerman was thinking. I guess she thought he could play the role of a maniacal ninja robot well. But imagine my face when I see Fox's lily white skin after hearing Deepthroat. I'd take George Eagles for Fox purely for nostalgia, even if the decide to paint him black. Also... The DARPA chief had the same voice actor, no? Both characters had comparatively fewer lines than other cast members. I'm thinking maybe they cast Eagles as "the black guy" and figured robot ninjas are racially ambiguous, so they used him as Fox to avoid paying another actor. Or to avoid paying another actor who costs more for additional lines.

Skullface

white or black fox regardless, he was awesome as fox and i'd have no problem with him voicing the role again

In a lot of ways, I'd prefer it. I just don't know how I'd feel about him voicing a half Vietnamese half German white looking guy. I'd rather they just make him black to avoid a ton of immersion breaking. You could make an argument about Phil LaMarr and Vamp, but he is really in another class.

-Deimos

I'd rather they bring back Rob Paulsen or Larc Spies for Gray Fox. Maybe someone new. I didn't think Greg Eagles fit at all.

"Early backstoryEdit

Like PO, I wouldn't consider specific story details from either Metal Gears to be canon. Those games were made a long time ago, it's perfectly understandable to ignore minor story details.

They already updated Gray Fox's canon so that he was rescued shortly after Snake Eater and was in Mozambique during the 80s. I'd be surprised if Gray Fox didn't make an appearance in MGSV and I doubt Kojima's going to retcon the updated canon.

I'd rather they bring back Rob Paulsen or Larc Spies for Gray Fox. Maybe someone new. I didn't think Greg Eagles fit at all.

Like PO, I wouldn't consider specific story details from either Metal Gears to be canon. Those games were made a long time ago, it's perfectly understandable to ignore minor story details.

They already updated Gray Fox's canon so that he was rescued shortly after Snake Eater and was in Mozambique during the 80s. I'd be surprised if Gray Fox didn't make an appearance in MGSV and I doubt Kojima's going to retcon the updated canon.

I can see that it'd make sense for them to cast rob and larc given their caucasian persuasion. Personally, didn't care for either cuz Rob Paulsen will forever be squirrely cartoon voice guy to me and larc spies...............sounds like someone who has the personality of a lint trap.

But I agree with you. someone new would be just fine.

And I don't take PO into consideration in regards to canon either.

Am I a terrible person for hating TF2 and the movies made with it? *gag*

I wouldn't say so, but I'd bet the people (that aren't valve themselves) that make them would say you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom