• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
med_gallery_3_62_1079752.png
This is the best and recognizable Snake face for me. Why is it so hard to get this right?

it's that grin. He looks appropriately more like a woodsman.

Skullface

med_gallery_3_62_1079752.png
This is the best and recognizable Snake face for me. Why is it so hard to get this right?

See below post.

^Because Solid Snake and Naked Snake are not the same person, and as they get older their differences start to get more pronounced.

I always thought it was really cool that they took the time to make subtle differences between the Naked Snake and Pliskin Snake models. The differences are so subtle that when I played MGS3 for the first time in like, '07, after having taken a break since MGS2 in '01, I didn't know they were different characters until
Big Boss had his eye shot out
. I had a huge "oooooooohhhhhh" moment because I thought I was playing as
Solid
the whole time. That game was a total mind fuck my first go around, right on par with the Raiden switcharoo.

Golnei

I always thought it was really cool that they took the time to make subtle differences between the Naked Snake and Pliskin Snake models. The differences are so subtle that when I played MGS3 for the first time in like, '07, after having taken a break since MGS2 in '01, I didn't know they were different characters until
Big Boss had his eye shot out
. I had a huge "oooooooohhhhhh" moment because I thought I was playing as
Solid
the whole time. That game was a total mind fuck my first go around, right on par with the Raiden switcharoo.

Wait, how did you reconcile the 60s setting with that assumption? Time travel?

Nvzman

You know it is a shame that the specs of the ps3 weren't up to par with the original vision.

MGS4%203%20new.jpg

Hey there sly devil.

YoungSnakeFace.png

I feel the need to slap him in the non-existant eyebrow.
Um I dunno if this is because I'm on my phone but the bottom one looks much better and looks like Snake.

Skullface

Wait, how did you reconcile the 60s setting with that assumption? Time travel?

That's just it. I couldn't reconcile it at all. I just pressed on and hoped the game would explain to me what was going on. I feel lucky to have played that way.

yeah, pliskin has this weird disney bug-eye thing going on

pliskin.png

I remember seeing this and thinking game graphics have come as far as they're going to get lol

Um I dunno if this is because I'm on my phone but the bottom one looks much better and looks like Snake.

It's your phone.

sna_ctr_sneaking_up_0614_1330.jpg

Look, can we all at least agree that the 3ds iteration is him at his kurt russelliest?

1294358692650.jpg

Fuck me. Sorry about the large pics guys. I'm still trying to figure all this shit out. still green. It's like that kid who blows his load to early when it's his first time. Damn it sure is good to finally be on gaf though.

Palpable

It's your phone.

sna_ctr_sneaking_up_0614_1330.jpg

Look, can we all at least agree that the 3ds iteration is him at his kurt russelliest?

1294358692650.jpg

I agree with that. Big Boss in GZ looks best.

Fuck me. Sorry about the large pics guys. I'm still trying to figure all this shit out. still green. It's like that kid who blows his load to early when it's his first time. Damn it sure is good to finally be on gaf though.

Use the quote tags like I told you before. Also, I never had this 'first time, blew too early' issue. It was the complete opposite my first time.

JayEH

Lol Solid Snake never looked better.

I always thought it was interesting that they never went with Naked Snake's original design in the old Snake Eater trailers.

God damn at that Playstation Power pic.

So guys, I've got a confession to make. I've never played Ground Zeroes. I know, the horror! But I've got a new PS4 and a brand new shiny copy of Ground Zeroes for it. I'm waiting on my brother to get back to start it. He likes MGS but he doesn't really keep up with games so he has no idea of the Kiefer Sutherland bombshell. I look forward to his reaction. I also look forward to seeing what this fiddles line is all about.

JayEH

I didn't really think the 'young' Solid Snake mask in MGS4 really looked that much like Solid Snake.

I think they modeled Snake similar to Gillian Seed from Snatcher. (I don't know if that's confirmed or just fan speculation because of the trench coat lol.)

I really like how he looks in MGS4 though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Damn they still found me here. They look under the vent too. I guess laying in between the wall and boxes in the bottom right corner is the only way to hide from these guards during Evasion mode, but maybe they still find you then too.

15245021120_859bb832b3_b.jpg

God I love this game. It looks amazing to me even to this day. The things they were able to pull out of the ps2 at the time it was made were magical. That pastel color palette. The older I get the more it looks a tad cell shaded, in it's own way, and that's a good thing.

JayEH

The rain effects in the Tanker Level still looks great especially. The art style also helps it age well.

Skullface

Damn they still found me here. They look under the vent too. I guess laying in between the wall and boxes in the bottom right corner is the only way to hide from these guards during Evasion mode, but maybe they still find you then too.

15245021120_859bb832b3_b.jpg

What's going on here? Is this the PC version? Those inventory icons look like nothing I've ever seen.

Sub_Level

It is indeed pc version, but the icons are the same. For whatever reason, the utility I used to save the image changed the icon in that pic.

15429849291_110a092e7e_b.jpg

Never underestimate the usefulness of even a single stun grenade.

JayEH

So I was on YT earlier today and stumbled across this.

FfOP34w.png

And this

wCVIWvV.png

It's really funny that sites like IGN have no problem having Quiet as the thumbnail for their video in order to get people to click but are quick to criticize Kojima for designing the character that way.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
With those guys out of the way, you should have enough time to fix the aspect ratio.:p

I also have the PC version, and believe me, it's one of the worst ports I've seen in my life, if he has managed to get it running at a decent speed I would not mess with it.

Nvzman

I also have the PC version, and believe me, it's one of the worst ports I've seen in my life, if he has managed to get it running at a decent speed I would not mess with it.

I have it too and it's not a half bad port. Setting up the controls is a bit confusing (here's a tip: if you repress a button you have mapped in the options before launching the game when you click the white little box, it'll clear it so you can map it to something else) though.

Actually, I played the port too when it was released, I was lucky enough to have a PC that managed to run it without too many issues. It was my first time playing the game and I used the keyboard controls. Needless to say, I couldn't beat the game on anything but easy. I remember that pressing esc just straight up quit the game and brought you back to the desktop.

Don't you have a PS3 or 360, Sub_Level, you should really grab the HD collection if that's the case.

Sub_Level

Setting up was not so bad. There is an xpadder file out there specifically for mgs2 with a 360 controller, I just have to run xpadder in windows vista compatability mode. Then I got a patch so it runs on Windows 7. Then I changed the config file so it runs at 1920x1080 (natively it only goes to 900p)

I imagine that MGS2 on PCSX2 is the best version. If not the hd collection. Dont have a ps3, i have a bad tendency to sell those. I have owned 5 lol. A 6th one for mgs is not a bad deal though. Get to play those smt games off psn too. And wipeout hd.

Sub_Level

Maybe...but then just watch how like next week Steam or PS4 ports for the old games get announced.

15411507946_4f6227812f_b.jpg

So I was on YT earlier today and stumbled across this.

FfOP34w.png

And this

wCVIWvV.png

It's really funny that sites like IGN have no problem having Quiet as the thumbnail for their video in order to get people to click but are quick to criticize Kojima for designing the character that way.

She has nothing to do with Ground Zeroes lol. But yeah, I completely agree with you about the hypocrisy there. It's even funnier now finding out she's a buddy who according to JunkerHQ Kojima said was "superfluous to the main story". All this discussion and controversy centered around this character for clicks, but they seem to not care about the game or know what it's about outside of her anyway and she's just a side character. I'm not sure IGN or other journalists are even aware there's child soldiers in the game, you'd think that would be a bigger deal.

Batzi

Banned
It's funny how both cutscenes shown at TGS are only triggered if you interact with the buddies. So basically the whole Kaz wanting her dead and the "when the time comes...I'll pull the trigger" scene are all part of the sub-plot. Damn it, can you imagine the depth Kojima is willing to achieve in this one? We thought Quiet was playing a major role in the story and then we found out that she's expendable. Big Boss & Skull Face are joining forces. Seriously, what's the main plot about?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny how both cutscenes shown at TGS are only triggered if you interact with the buddies. So basically the whole Kaz wanting her dead and the "when the time comes...I'll pull the trigger" scene are all part of the sub-plot. Damn it, can you imagine the depth Kojima is willing to achieve in this one? We thought Quiet was playing a major role in the story and then we found out that she's expendable. Big Boss & Skull Face are joining forces. Seriously, what's the main plot about?

I'm guessing the Skull Face/Zero/Patriots plot is the main plot thread, while DD, Quiet, Liquid, Code Talker, etc are all subplots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom