• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
15295772618_716e385025_b.jpg

Allllmost there. 100% will be mine soon.
Once you've done the grenade missions, you can do any of the weapon ones. What do you have left?

What if the bonding system in TPP is similar to the romance system in Mass Effect? Think about it, Big Boss can romance Quiet, maybe EVA, Paramedic, Ocelot lol.

My guess is it will be similar to Mass Effect 2 in that you have to do "loyalty missions" for each character in order to use them/get better abilities.

Had a strong feeling he was going to do this when they first showed us that motherbase demo. You can definitely see the metal gear spin Kojima is putting on all the elements he is emulating from other franchises; both western and eastern.

This basically means that the torture scenes we've been shown have to be triggered by going down into the "holds" if you know what i'm saying.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Once you've done the grenade missions, you can do any of the weapon ones. What do you have left?

Elimination level 10.

No radar or even ap sensor, one hit kill shotguns, invisble enemies, 3 bullets in your inventory, 2 c4, and 2 claymores . Claymores and c4 dont kill enemies in one hit on this difficulty either. There is a psg1t and m4 in the level but hard to get to. 5 minue time limit. This level is crazy!

Also hold up and variety mode afterwards.

Elimination level 10.

No radar or even ap sensor, one hit kill shotguns, invisble enemies, 3 bullets in your inventory, 2 c4, and 2 claymores . Claymores and c4 dont kill enemies in one hit on this difficulty either. There is a psg1t and m4 in the level but hard to get to. 5 minue time limit. This level is crazy!

Also hold up and variety mode afterwards.

It's all trial and error. I got preeeety far into the vr missions myself.

Ahem...

mgs2_68_e22.jpg

But seriously though. It was strange how he went from apathetic, to enthusiastic, to, well, old. MGS1 Snake is best Snake.

Hence the "no joke" sentence.

I see his outlook as a reflection of kojima's with the evolution of the series. you get older, your outlook changes. Snake being old and cynical in 4 was an extension of kojima's relationship with the series at the time.

I love mgs1 snake too. But personally, I've always preferred mgs2 Snake because of his enthusiastic disposition. I think this is because of the meta nature of the game and what he was trying to tell us in the wake of the mindfuck that it was. Us. The gamers. the individuals.

Sub_Level

The enthusiastic part was his character development from mgs1. He was holed up in alaska drinking too much and didnt give a shit. He and otacon became terrorist bros with a cause from that point onwards.

Had a strong feeling he was going to do this when they first showed us that motherbase demo. You can definitely see the metal gear spin Kojima is putting on all the elements he is emulating from other franchises; both western and eastern.

This basically means that the torture scenes we've been shown have to be triggered by going down into the "holds" if you know what i'm saying.

So you think we'll have full-on dialogue trees and side missions that can be accepted by running around motherbase? That could be cool.

What i really want is destiny-ish bounties to insensitive-ise replaying missions more.

The enthusiastic part was his character development from mgs1. He was holed up in alaska drinking too much and didnt give a shit. He and otacon became terrorist bros with a cause from that point onwards.

yes. yes. this and also:

it took me a few years to finally realize that his plisskin outfit looks like what they'd imagined his mg1+2 appearance to be in a 3d setting (hence the meta nature of the whole game)

Metal-Gear-001.jpg

yes. yes. this and also:

it took me a few years to finally realize that his plisskin outfit looks like what they'd imagined his mg1+2 appearance to be in a 3d setting (hence the meta nature of the whole game)

Metal-Gear-001.jpg

Surprised they went with plisken then and not biehn or curran

So you think we'll have full-on dialogue trees and side missions that can be accepted by running around motherbase? That could be cool.

What i really want is destiny-ish bounties to insensitive-ise replaying missions more.

I'm sure that'd make folks happy but I doubt it. Kojima likes to be in control of the dialog.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair, old snake still had some motivational moments, let telliing raiden to stop being emo and to enjoy his life or overall raising sunny with otacon

Skullface

to be fair, old snake still had some motivational moments, let telliing raiden to stop being emo and to enjoy his life or overall raising sunny with otacon

Those "motivational moments" were an over all character trait of the old lug. Even when he was all Apathy Snake, he still had his moments. Then in MGS2 that aspect of his personality was really predominant. I think that's why I liked his character most in MGS1, because he was at his most dynamic.

I've been wanting to pose this question for a bit and the community thread is obviously the the best choice to do so.

I know that guns of the patriots gets either mixed feelings or a lot of flak here on gaf despite it being game of the year twicefold. It is a done deal. The story is wrapped up, Snake's journey is over, and a lot of people were either left in tears or with a bad taste in their mouths.

Now given the history of the series, we've always had the "special edition" iterations of past titles, what with substance, subsistence, etc.. Now this is certainly not a new idea by any means but I don't think it's one that has been discussed often. That is, a director's cut of 4. The substance version if you will.

I'm fine with what we got but I do agree with some of the criticisms of the game itself. I'd be curios to see an edited version of the game with some elements either omitted or expanded upon. I'd also love to see the gameplay of V implemented sans the recruitment and fulton mechanics.

I know, quite obviously, that this'll never happen. It's all purely hypothetical.

In that regard. What would you like to have seen from a guns of the patriots redux?

Sub_Level

As much as I dislike mgs4's story I would not want them to change it in a rerelease. That would be poor form for those who liked it. A rerelease would hopefully fix the framerate. Beyond that, a non-konami-ID mgo and some vr and alternative missions would be awesome. They could use the mgo maps for extra missions.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I would dislike a "Special Edition" ala Star Wars, changing how the game actually played or the story it presented. But an edition with constant 60fps, VR missions, and maybe some Snake Tales-like scenarios on the maps would've been great.

I would dislike a "Special Edition" ala Star Wars, changing how the game actually played or the story it presented. But an edition with constant 60fps, VR missions, and maybe some Snake Tales-like scenarios on the maps would've been great.

This. If they want to remake it 10 years from now? Fine. But a ps4 release with these enhancements would be great.

And Give me missions on shadow moses with guards.

Skullface

I'm completely against altering the story and gameplay, although additional content is always welcome. I think the trophy patch is as close as we'll get though.

It's truly amazing how awe inspiring some of the cutscenes are in terms of realism... I may replay it soon.

The only tweaks I'd like to see added to the gameplay would be the moveset and animations from V grafted onto Solid's existing moveset/abilites from IV. (i.e. sprint, cover system, smooth transition between crawling prone and standing.)

JayEH

MGS4's story is a mess but...it has to stay the way it is. I think we need to push for that MG/MG2 remake first though.

Let me also clarify something that I didn't quite elab on when I posed the question.

by no means do I mean any time soon should the idea of a 4 remake come to fruition. I'm talking a looooooong time from now.

SO

in terms of remakes, what do we ultimately want out of the eventual metal gear/metal gear 2 solid snake remakes?

-Deimos

Let me also clarify something that I didn't quite elab on when I posed the question.

by no means do I mean any time soon should the idea of a 4 remake come to fruition. I'm talking a looooooong time from now.

SO

in terms of remakes, what do we ultimately want out of the eventual metal gear/metal gear 2 solid snake remakes?

MG+MG2 in Fox engine.

Skullface

MG+MG2 in Fox engine.

This. I envision the title as a combination of both games, with MG shortened and offered as a Tanker style prologue. MG2 would be the meat of the game. The title would be one of the following: "Metal Gear", "Metal Gear: Solid Snake", or "Metal Gear Solid: Origins".

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Just update MG1 and 2 to Solid standards. Varied enviroments, more than just "green and brown base". Get rid of bad game design like the random cards or having to walk though electrified panels. Update the boss battles. Cutscenes and CODECS to expand the story beyond "Snake went to Outer Heaven, rescued Grey Fox, blew up Metal Gear, but WAIT! Big Boss is a bad guy! Now fight him!" (though Metal Gear 2 had a little bit more story in-game, I still would like to hear the real Miller and Snake interact). And use the opportunity to deepen the relationship between Big Boss and Solid Snake that they supposedly had if Old Snake's reaction to him in MGS4 implied. Make him appear to be a father to you before he finds out the truth, and then in MG2HD have Big Boss make another rant like Boss made to him back in the day. Also, make the Big Boss battles the most epic shit ever, because with the MSX limitations he doesn't really appear to be the ultimate soldier.

i'd much rather they just make MGS6 about big boss forming fox hound and the training and development of solid snake --> MG1 --> MG2. all in one wonderful MGSV-ish game

basically what sn4ke911 and some others seem to think MGSV is going to do

I want Kojima to remake both games using modern sensibilities while keeping them 2D. Basically, I want redrawn and HD environments and sprites, a new UI, remixed music and other changes here and there. The first game would obviously need one hell of a design makeover; the second one, less so.

Skullface

I want Kojima to remake both games using modern sensibilities while keeping them 2D. Basically, I want redrawn and HD environments and sprites, a new UI, remixed music and other changes here and there. The first game would obviously need one hell of a design makeover; the second one, less so.

Remember that rumored PSP game about Ocelot? Your post made me think about that. I still want it. Tfw it will never happen...

Toparaman

Banned
MGS4 is unsalvageable. I'd rather Kojima not spend any more time on that game.

Let's not forget that the only reason he directed MGS4 in the first place was because of death threats. It was a world-weary game made under forced, shitty circumstances, and it shows.

I'll make it a 4-player boss fight party
PSN: TheNickster99

Sure!

Skullface

I've never heard of that. Can you point me to some info on it ?

I tried looking into it but I can't find anything. It was supposed to be a 2.5d MG2 type of game, as the legend goes. Really, it was just a hoax. It was never in development. There were some pretty convincing screens and such. I'll continue to look and get back to you.

Yeah, but for example he said he got inspired by BrBa mature style and often compares BB's "demon" transformation to Walter's one.

this was always strange to me because he hadn't even watched past season 2 at that point.
walter white is far from a villain at that point in the series. basically 90% of his "evil" is season 4 and beyond

Sub_Level

I....I did it.

15468870236_2571a56c4c_b.jpg

137333993913.jpg

The MGS1 Snake hold up missions, variety mode, and the final elimination mode level are literal masochism. The trial and error in the hold up missions make the first couple splinter cell games which were notorious for trial and error look like baby toddler mode.

I....I did it.

137333993913.jpg

The MGS1 Snake hold up missions, variety mode, and the final elimination mode level are literal masochism. The trial and error in the hold up missions make the first couple splinter cell games which were notorious for trial and error look like baby toddler mode.

is that the hardest trophy is MGS2? thinking about going for it at some point

Sub_Level

is that the hardest trophy is MGS2? thinking about going for it at some point

Yeah, by far. You don't have to play on European Extreme for the platinum. And you don't have to get 100% dog tags either, you just need all the special items. So like 2 Tanker playthroughs and 5 or so Plant playthroughs for the tags.

Although you should play European Extreme MGS2 anyway because taking on 20 Metal Gear RAYs that can all kill you in one-hit three at a time is the most epic battle in the series from a gameplay perspective.

Nvzman

Yeah, by far. You don't have to play on European Extreme for the platinum. And you don't have to get 100% dog tags either, you just need all the special items. So like 2 Tanker playthroughs and 5 or so Plant playthroughs for the tags.

Although you should play European Extreme MGS2 anyway because taking on 20 Metal Gear RAYs that can all kill you in one-hit three at a time is the most epic battle in the series from a gameplay perspective.

Oh that sounds horrible. I didn't have much trouble with the battle on Hard but holy shit, 20 MGR's? What?

Sub_Level

Yep. 20.

Your Stingers do way less damage on European Extreme too even if you hit them in the leg first. It's easily a 15-20 minute boss fight. Even the fastest speedruns could only get it down to like 8 minutes. For comparison, The End in MGS3 on European Extreme can be beaten in under 3 minutes.

You cannot make any mistakes either because, to reiterate, they kill you in one hit.

I....I did it.

137333993913.jpg

Congratulations. I did that two years ago. Do you have MGS3 and 4's platinums as well ?

Sub_Level

3 yes. Still have to get a few more 2 trophies.

4....undecided if I am going for that one. Know it's many replays.

There's a point where rewarding challenge devolves into pointless tedium.

Sub_Level

I could play roughly 200 more hours of MGS2 so no lol. I just really like the game mechanics.

I like 4's mechanics too but the actual game just doesn't facilitate ample use of said mechanics imo.

-Deimos

I could play roughly 200 more hours of MGS2 so no lol. I just really like the game mechanics.

I like 4's mechanics too but the actual game just doesn't facilitate ample use of said mechanics imo.

I don't know how you do it. I couldn't stand playing with MGS2's camera and controls again.

Palpable

MGS4's plat was hardest for me, then MGS2, then PW, then 3. 3 was so fucking easy. 1 playthrough and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom