• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGS4 is unsalvageable. I'd rather Kojima not spend any more time on that game.

Let's not forget that the only reason he directed MGS4 in the first place was because of death threats. It was a world-weary game made under forced, shitty circumstances, and it shows.
I can't imagine that's the only reason he decided to do MGS4. He's been getting death threats since he introduced Raiden. He was probably used to it at that stage. He seems to make Metal Gear games because that's the only thing Konami will give him a big budget for. He seems to have accepted that these days though so he's a little more positive talking about 5.

I....I did it.

15468870236_2571a56c4c_b.jpg

137333993913.jpg

The MGS1 Snake hold up missions, variety mode, and the final elimination mode level are literal masochism. The trial and error in the hold up missions make the first couple splinter cell games which were notorious for trial and error look like baby toddler mode.
Congrats. Now do a Big Boss run on MGS2 :p

olympia

There is no way that MGS4 is unsalvageable. There were some very good bits in that game. The gameplay is still really fun. It's incredibly silly, and less than the sum of it's parts, but I still enjoying playing it from time to time. But yeah, it shouldn't be remade.

3 yes. Still have to get a few more 2 trophies.

4....undecided if I am going for that one. Know it's many replays.

There's a point where rewarding challenge devolves into pointless tedium.

I encourage you to do MGS4's platinum. Just follow this guide. It's long, but not that long, and also not that hard. The only part that gave me trouble was the on-rails section in chapter 3 in Prague... and that was before I realized how much fucking easier it was when using the gun's auto-lock function, lol. Only Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is too long and tedious for me.

edit: the only parts of MGS4 I'd cut are Meryl's wedding and Raiden's hospital visit from Rose. These two scenes are a stain on an otherwise great ending.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
When I think of something that ruined the ending for me, it's not the wedding or hospital visit that irked me. Those scenes concluded story arcs that began in acts 1 and 2 respectively. No, what irked me was bringing Big Boss back. Again :p

When I think of something that ruined the ending for me, it's not the wedding or hospital visit that irked me. Those scenes concluded story arcs that began in acts 1 and 2 respectively. No, what irked me was bringing Big Boss back. Again :p

But that scene is so good. The final line and subsequent silence makes me cry every damn time. :'(

This. I envision the title as a combination of both games, with MG shortened and offered as a Tanker style prologue. MG2 would be the meat of the game. The title would be one of the following: "Metal Gear", "Metal Gear: Solid Snake", or "Metal Gear Solid: Origins".

Everybody wants a different flavor of the remake pie and they all seem like warm gooey goodness.

I think a fitting title would be something along the lines of incorporating the word "Ouroboros" which, in case you don't know, is the greek word for the cyclical nature of something and it is often depicted as the image of a serpent or snake eating its own tail.

ouroboros-simple-svg.png

I mean this would be in lieu of the story coming full circle. Kinda cheesy but Kojima's subtitles have always been kinda quirky. "snake eater".

You know, ever since they announced the mgs movie, it seems like everybody and their grandmother wants to the shadow moses chapter on the silver screen. I mean why wouldn't you? It's the story everybody is most familiar with. It is considered the best story in the series with the best cast of characters. It has coherent plot twists and is essentially a "new age" escape from new york in it's own way.

That's all fine and dandy. Personally, I'd rather an adaptation of the first two games. Why you ask? Here's why:

Metal Gear Solid has everything going for it in terms of story potential but I'd rather not see it adapted because of the nature of the medium it took place in. What I mean by this is that we would all have an expectation from all the characters in the story that would be much harder to adapt because each character is performed by a human being. In this golden age of comic book movies we live in, I feel there is more leeway in who is cast as a particular hero because that hero is essentially ink and words on paper. There are so many directions you can go with it. Sure the characters have certain personality and aesthetic traits that are portrayed in their comic form but that means fuck all when it comes to actually bringing them to the physical world......so to speak.

The characters in the ps1 classic were more than that. They were three dimensional. They had voices. The world they inhabited was one we interacted with, albiet a low polygonal one but an endearing one none the less. We're all going to have an expectation about the movie because of this. It doesn't go without saying that there is already backstory consisting of mg1+2 they'd have to contend with. Obviously, the script is gonna have a lot of differences for the sake of adapting the story. It has to make money, but at the same time it has to imbue the "voice" of metal gear properly. This could fail. Let us not forget the bad history of vg adapted films and how hollywood has a habit of fucking them up.

Now think about what they could do with the first two games (more than likely fused into one. cuz c'mon, isn't metal gear like the pablo honey of the franchise). There is no voice acting to contend with and the story is coherent and easy to follow. The slate they have to work with is equivalent of a comic book but with moving spites. Think about the fact that this movie could be the 1980's /early 90's sci-fi action romp that never was. Practical effects are coming back. There is a lost essence to film that is cycling back into our culture. Think about the elements that encompass what metal gear is and how effectively it deconstructs genre tropes and breaks all the rules( i'm looking at you snake eater and sons of liberty). Think about the 4th wall craziness of the franchise on film. You wanna talk about meta narrative? This franchise is the culmination of movie influences that would then be folding over itself INTO a movie. See this fits in with the Ouroboros idea. The loop is closing. Why not phase the genesis of the story into what it has always wanted to be? Think about the opportunity they have to capitalize on that idea.

Ugh. Trying to play MGS2 Substance on Windows. Finally got it working and can't get pad mapped properly.

Apparently it doesn't recognise the triggers because they are on an axis and not separate buttons.

I've searched on google and tried xpadder and joytokey and nothing I do seems to work.

Does anyone have any experience in getting it working properly?

Skullface

Ugh. Trying to play MGS2 Substance on Windows. Finally got it working and can't get pad mapped properly.

Apparently it doesn't recognise the triggers because they are on an axis and not separate buttons.

I've searched on google and tried xpadder and joytokey and nothing I do seems to work.

My suggestion would be to not play it on windows if at all possible. Not trying to be an ass, it just seems like it's not worth the trouble between funky aspect ratios etc

-Deimos

MGSS4 ending was the greatest moment of all time.

"Let it go...my son. I'm not here to fight. Or should I call you, brother?"

Chinner

Banned
Does anyone have a link to this art prints of mgs 5? They were like shaded, and there was one of ground zeros with big boss watching over the camp omega

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I had this exact issue. I used xpadder and a 360 controller. It worked when I launched the game from the bin folder.

So go C: to Program Files to KONAMI to metalgearsolid2 substance to bin to mgs2.exe

That fixed it. I did end up using a fan patch but that was for a black screen issue, not the controller. Also I ran xpadder in Vista compatability mode and downloaded a fan config profile specifically for mgs2 but the triggere still didnt work unless I launched it from the bin folder. Let me know if it works for you!

Skullface

Serious question guys... I was thinking of making a fan trailer. I found this particular song (I can edit it down to keep it around two minutes). What do you think? If there's one iota of interest I will make it happen. Especially since I can probably keep it in my back pocket for a college project. Without further ado, Tom Waits: http://vimeo.com/m/15232355

I think it really captures the whole futility concept. Not only of war, but killing for a cause in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom