• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New plate. I like it better than the old one.

tumblr_m764fjiUKi1qfp4zc.gif

You're pretty good.

SNOW ENVIRONMENTS? yes please, and thank you.

JayEH

Was watching some episodes of Timeline on Gametrailers and got really bummed out since the Metal Gear Timeline is on indefinite hold. Hopefully they will get it done soon, I know earlier this year GT was in here asking for feedback on what the work they had done so far.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"Cats do love to play as snakes."

- Big Boss/John, 2014

btw I was wanting to ask, what did Boss mean by only room for one Boss and one Snake? That implies she and Snake can coexist together but that obviously wasnt what she wanted. When Liquid says it in mgs2 it makes more sense because there are two people there who could be considered Boss (Solidus, Liquid both of whom tried to make outer heaven) and two people who could be considered Snake (Solid, Raiden) its as if he is is saying "look there is too many of us"

To me it made the impression that as Naked Snake surpassed his mentor by beating her he automatically also took her place as Boss.

The current Boss is always beaten by Snake.

...kinda reminds me of Afro Samurai.

-Deimos

- Big Boss/John, 2014

btw I was wanting to ask, what did Boss mean by only room for one Boss and one Snake? That implies she and Snake can coexist together but that obviously wasnt what she wanted. When Liquid says it in mgs2 it makes more sense because there are two people there who could be considered Boss (Solidus, Liquid both of whom tried to make outer heaven) and two people who could be considered Snake (Solid, Raiden) its as if he is is saying "look there is too many of us"
I don't think he said boss, just snake.

JayEH

- Big Boss/John, 2014

I always wondered that too. I think it was just Kojima trying to make a reference to MGS2 and make it seem like this is a recurring thing that happens with "Snakes" and "Bosses".

Always was a bit confused by the exchange between raiden and snake in the briefing post act iv.

When jack says " I'll release you. It's the only way I'll ever be free."

Snake " Five years ago, that's not what I meant."

Wasn't exactly certain of what was being iterated by either party. Had guessed but Im not sure.

I always figured that it was a translation thing.

i always felt like that was, in mgs3 at least, more a reference to the master/student relationship between boss and jack/naked snake. as if to say "you know you cannot ever be anything other than the naive order-taking underling (snake in all the mgs games) unless you take out me, your mentor"

Sub_Level

i always felt like that was, in mgs3 at least, more a reference to the master/student relationship between boss and jack/naked snake. as if to say "you know you cannot ever be anything other than the naive order-taking underling (snake in all the mgs games) unless you take out me, your mentor"

That makes sense.

Solid Snake never tried to create an Outer Heaven like his father and brothers. He remained a Snake. Although he was a mentor to Raiden (even had same codec as master miller in mgs1) and even arguably Meryl so not necessarily always an apprentice or underling,

Dawg

So... what ever happened to our glorious mosaic?

Will it never reach Kojima? After all this time? In that case, I feel kinda bad for Joe who did an awesome job and Infinity Patriot because he spent money on the print etc :(

-Deimos

So... what ever happened to our glorious mosaic?

Will it never reach Kojima? After all this time? In that case, I feel kinda bad for Joe who did an awesome job and Infinity Patriot because he spent money on the print etc :(
Currently on its way to Kojima, I think.

JayEH

I'm only 5 minutes in & he's already making good points.

MGR Autopsy

It's a long video so I'll be finishing it later.

Blasted my ears as soon as I turned it on. Metal Gear Rising doesn't suck. Its gameplay is awesome and you don't have to pay attention to the story at all. It's a dumb side story that obviously wouldn't be taken into account if they made a game past MGS4. If his whole basis for the game being bad is that the story sucks, he is not looking at the game the right way. This game exists so that Konami can make money with the Metal Gear name in another genre, nothing more. It has a really good soundtrack and had some of the craziest boss fights of last year. Looking forward to Rising 2 in 2016.

Yeah I can't watch this whole thing. It's too long and I think his voice is kind of annoying especially the way he's enunciating words.

Blasted my ears as soon as I turned it on. Metal Gear Rising doesn't suck. Its gameplay is awesome and you don't have to pay attention to the story at all. It's a dumb side story that obviously wouldn't be taken into account if they made a game past MGS4. If his whole basis for the game being bad is that the story sucks, he is not looking at the game the right way. This game exists so that Konami can make money with the Metal Gear name in another genre, nothing more. It has a really good soundtrack and had some of the craziest boss fights of last year. Looking forward to Rising 2 in 2016.

Yeah I can't watch this whole thing. It's too long and I think his voice is kind of annoying especially the way he's enunciating words.
I haven't watched it but I agree with you completely. There's no point getting bogged down in the plot of a side story especially with the tone that MGR takes with it. It's a fun game, the characters are fun and the last boss fight is some of the craziest shit ever. It's an awesome game. I can't tell people what to like but you really shouldn't let the dumb story sway you from having fun with it.

MGR Autopsy

God his voice is blood curdling. Yes, though, he is right. It was only a matter of time before somebody posted something like this. But it ultimately wont sway people. If anything, it just makes the fact that we'll likely never see the original idea even worse.

Like jay said, the end result here is money. period. even at the cost of shitting on 20 years worth of story.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

MGR Autopsy

Wow at least he's considerate enough to make his point in the first 5 seconds so I can close the video quickly.

Seriously, who the fuck cares if the story is bad or something, Rising is a fun game and that's all I need.

Sub_Level

Rising at least had more memorable bosses than 4 and Peace Walker. It also had vr missions and plenty of optional codecs.

*thumbs up*

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even that bad, they try to force some of the usual Metal Gear seriousness with Armstrong's manipulation of conflict to create war or Monsoon and Sam breaking Raiden, it's just that the plot isn't focused that much.

JayEH

Didn't Kojima confirm it's not canon?

It was confirmed canon by a couple of producers at Kojima productions and I think Kojima has said in an interview that it is canon but is considered a side story or something like that. Similar to how Portable Ops is "canon".

saying the dust has settled after the last bit of info is definitely an understatement.

I'm thirsty.

When can we expect the next bit of info?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
saying the dust has settled after the last bit of info is definitely an understatement.

I'm thirsty.

When can we expect the next bit of info?

I expect a release date and new trailer at VGA/VGX early december.

JayEH

Telling you guys end of Ground Zeroes PC...Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Coming 3/10/15.

Lol, realistically though if they have the VGXs this year, I'm fairly confident that the release date will be announced there along with a MGO reveal trailer.

Palpable

Listen to his points. Don't write him off because you liked MGR or his tone is annoying. He draws story connections of Raiden from 2 and 4 and explains how it makes utterly no sense. He's right. If you don't play MG games for the story, then ignore the video.

MGR isn't canon, for those of you that thought it was.

JayEH

Nobody said they don't play MG for the story. We don't play MG Rising for the story and if it's a non canon game then it doesn't matter what the story is. I don't think anybody here was expecting a deep tale of how Raiden deals with his life past MGS4. We all wanted to grab Metal gear rays by the tail and then throw them while some cool music is blasting in the background.

-Deimos

Nobody said they don't play MG for the story. We don't play MG Rising for the story and if it's a non canon game then it doesn't matter what the story is. I don't think anybody here was expecting a deep tale of how Raiden deals with his life past MGS4. We all wanted to grab Metal gear rays by the tail and then throw them while some cool music is blasting in the background.

What Jay said.

Palpable

I didn't. To each their own, though.

Josh5890

Telling you guys end of Ground Zeroes PC...Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Coming 3/10/15.

Lol, realistically though if they have the VGXs this year, I'm fairly confident that the release date will be announced there along with a MGO reveal trailer.

That would be great. I wouldn't mind an early 2015 release for Metal Gear.

Sub_Level

Okinawan singing sand, taking out sulfuric acid with chocolate, luring poisonous hamsters with cheese, getting strangled by a doctor in his 60s or 70s, Running Man AKA Gotta Go Fast, soldier manikins, feeding pigeons, fooling a soldier into thinking that it is night time by hatching an owl from an egg...I think the fantastical elements in MGS2 including Vamp and Fatman would have gone over better with the general public if they had been exposed to the old games. It was really MGS1 that was the outlier, being a bit more grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom