• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
^There is also a way to play eboot files on ps1 emulator on pc.

Not gonna link anything :p

edit: and in case any1 asks

15496673007_b2a28698f1_o.png

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Emulation is perfectly fine on this forum. There are fantastic threads on Gamecube/Wii and PS2 emulation in particular.

Acquiring the game, though, well...

Nvzman

I never knew you could speed up the lock picking in Ground Zeroes by mashing Triangle lol. I accidentally just did it and now I feel dumb.

Palpable

I never knew you could speed up the lock picking in Ground Zeroes by mashing Triangle lol. I accidentally just did it and now I feel dumb.

Don't feel dumb, took me a while to figure out too. If you throw a flare grenade at a guard, they'll dive away thinking it's a frag grenade lol

Nvzman

Don't feel dumb, took me a while to figure out too. If you throw a flare grenade at a guard, they'll dive away thinking it's a frag grenade lol
Yeah I love those little game play touches in MGS. Like how in Act 1 of MGS4 wearing the militia disguise drastically reduces the chance of being spotted.

I was rewatching Kojima's Ground Zeroes twitch interview the other day and I found myself very confused by Ken Mendoza's answer to the question of "Will the Camp Omega level be revisited in TPP".

I know many places at the time reported it as "right now the plan is that Camp Omega will only be visitable in Ground Zeroes" but I found Ken's translation unclear myself, especially when Kojima later brought up the thing about having a "surprise" that has never been done in the videogame industry before.

I wanted a clearer answer so I asked JunkerHQ on twitter if he could give me a direct translation of what Kojima actually responded with and this is what he said:

https://twitter.com/JunkerHQNet/status/528573811705544704

"People who own Ground Zeroes will be able to play a different mission(s) at Camp Omega in The Phantom Pain. That's the current plan."

"There's something of a big feature involved. It's never been done in the games industry before. So I can't go into detail about it, but I think when you experience it for yourselves you'll be surprised. It's something that's only possible through video games.

So that's it. Camp Omega will actually be revisited in the Phantom Pain in a new mission so long as you own a copy of Ground Zeroes (probably part of TPP's bonus content for buying GZ), and revisiting Camp Omega in the Phantom Pain involves that big surprise feature Kojima talked about that apparently has never been done before in the videogame industry and is only possible in a game. So that's interesting, I'm not really sure what it could be but sounds like it will be something really cool.

TheBoss1

I was rewatching Kojima's Ground Zeroes twitch interview the other day and I found myself very confused by Ken Mendoza's answer to the question of "Will the Camp Omega level be revisited in TPP".

I know many places at the time reported it as "right now the plan is that Camp Omega will only be visitable in Ground Zeroes" but I found Ken's translation unclear myself, especially when Kojima later brought up the thing about having a "surprise" that has never been done in the videogame industry before.

I wanted a clearer answer so I asked JunkerHQ on twitter if he could give me a direct translation of what Kojima actually responded with and this is what he said:

So that's it. Camp Omega will actually be revisited in the Phantom Pain in a new mission so long as you own a copy of Ground Zeroes (probably part of TPP's bonus content for buying GZ), and revisiting Camp Omega in the Phantom Pain involves that big surprise feature Kojima talked about that apparently has never been done before in the videogame industry and is only possible in a game. So that's interesting, I'm not really sure what it could be but sounds like it will be something really cool.

I wonder if they'll just say Ground Zeroes was like a tech demo, making it non-cannon, then we'll actually play the real thing in TPP?

Probably not since that'll piss people off even more than if GZ was just included with TPP when purchased LOL

JayEH

That would explain the scene in the E3 2013 trailer.

whoa. nice job man. very interesting

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Yeah makes sense because the waterboarding scene wasn't in GZ and that is clearly from Camp Omega.

Fuck yes, looks like that scene wasn't cut from the game.

MGSV-E3-Trailer-Camp-Omega-Prisoner.jpg

The Africa analysis of YongYea finally HERE

Goddamn, fantastic job as always. I love Yong's videos.

Chinner

Banned
i do wonder, how much content is really in TPP. i know kojima made that twitter post saying he was worried, but i can't really translate that into a guestimate.

generally mgs games are lsomething like 14-18 hours long on their playthrough. the impression being made is that TPP is much longer.

JayEH

i do wonder, how much content is really in TPP. i know kojima made that twitter post saying he was worried, but i can't really translate that into a guestimate.

generally mgs games are lsomething like 14-18 hours long on their playthrough. the impression being made is that TPP is much longer.

I think Peace Walker is a good estimate of the time needed to complete just the mainline story since this game is basically Peace walker on steroids. I assume he means that there is just a bunch of side content in the game (like Peace Walker).

Erigu

Big time bro. If I remember correctly, Policenauts takes place on another planet all together. There's definitely some post apocalyptic stuff going down.
Well, Meryl in Policenauts is 25 and the game takes place in 2040, sooo...
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Nvzman was saying maybe Policenauts could work as a sequel to Metal Gear (as in, the first game) specifically. Obviously, it contradicts other games in the Metal Gear series.

It takes place is 2013.
?
No, it doesn't.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think Peace Walker is a good estimate of the time needed to complete just the mainline story since this game is basically Peace walker on steroids. I assume he means that there is just a bunch of side content in the game (like Peace Walker).

Kojima said he's worried people don't FINISH the game because it's too long.

yeah i anticipate a ~12+ hour main story with 100+ hours of side missions and replayability. peace walker was great for replaying with different loadouts and developing new stuff. i could only imagine how amazing TPP will be with tons of side ops and different load outs and the dynamic adapting AI (eg. soldiers wearing helmets on subsequent playthroughs)

JayEH

Haha. Kojima was a perv even back in 94.

hqdefault.jpg

This entire section is there just so you can make inappropriate comments and grope a flight attendant...and strangely learn educational facts about space?

wilsonda

Last night I had a nightmare that I came onto NeoGaf and there was news that MGSV was pushed into Q3-Q4 2015.... needless to say I was happy to wake up from that nightmare

Tekku

Anyone know where you can find some high-res Yoji art? I'd like to frame one of his paintings. I especially like this one:

ba629f87b4f635c595b2bcdd1593d9bf.jpg

Palpable

Anyone know where you can find some high-res Yoji art? I'd like to frame one of his paintings. I especially like this one:

ba629f87b4f635c595b2bcdd1593d9bf.jpg

I've got a lot that I've collected from websites throughout the years. Try Konami.com/downloads for some TPP art. Go to google images and type in 'mgs shinkawa art' and click the images you like, then further filter out all but the high res stuff.

Tekku

I've got a lot that I've collected from websites throughout the years. Try Konami.com/downloads for some TPP art. Go to google images and type in 'mgs shinkawa art' and click the images you like, then further filter out all but the high res stuff.

Thanks bud! Much appreciated. :)

-edit-

I think I'm gonna go with this one (since I love The Boss so much): http://i.imgur.com/KNJJbbQ.jpg

Really nice res.

-edit-

Oh wait, I found the one I was looking for on the Konami website in perfect res: http://i.picpar.com/7Zgb.jpg

Wohoo! :)

Vally

I loved those missions :D hopefully TTP will keep all that silly stuff despite the more serious tone (it seems like it will, if the Deja Vu/Jamais Vu missions are any indication)

JayEH

Press Square to fulfill The Boss' final death wish.

Oh wait that actually happened :p

I know you're joking but that's actually an example of that type of scene done right. Waited there for a bit wondering why Snake wasn't doing anything my first playthrough. Then Kojima made me pull the trigger. Bastard.

-Deimos

I know you're joking but that's actually an example of that type of scene done right. Waited there for a bit wondering why Snake wasn't doing anything my first playthrough. Then Kojima made me pull the trigger. Bastard.

I refused to pull the trigger on my first playthrough. But Kojima really is a bastard.

Nvzman

Smh lol but I guess they never actually explicitly tell you that you can do that.

You need to experiment with the AI and mechanics and soon you'll be doing stuff like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

Well my problem was that the hold up mechanic worked differently than I thought it did. In MGS2,3, and 4, you can't just walk up behind an enemy while your gun is drawn out to do a hold up automatically. You have to draw your gun just when you get close enough. Ground Zeroes does allow you to just waltz up to the enemy with the gun drawn and hold up though.

that's true, but walking with your gun drawn was so awkward in mgs 2 and 3, there's really no reason to ever attempt it in a stealth situation where you'd want to hold-up an enemy

I don't know why but I never managed to hold up an enemy in MGS3. They always noticed me because of the noise I made even when I crawled to them.
I also never used CQC in my first playthrough. Same problem.

Palpable

I don't know why but I never managed to hold up an enemy in MGS3. They always noticed me because of the noise I made even when I crawled to them.
I also never used CQC in my first playthrough. Same problem.

Even going back to MGS3 I always forget that the D pad is for super slow noiseless walking.

JayEH

Huey as a support buddy. Think about it. He can walk now. I bet his legs have super strength with whatever he's wearing on them now.

Palpable

Huey as a support buddy. Think about it. He can walk now. I bet his legs have super strength with whatever he's wearing on them now.

I somehow doubt Huey, like Hal, would get physically violent in game and take out soldiers. lol

If it were Hal with Solid Snake, I could see him piloting a helicopter at least.

JayEH

Just found out some life changing news.
YOU CAN HOLD R1/R2 TO HEAR SNAKE's/RAIDEN'S THOUGHTS DURING CONVERSATIONS IN MGS2.

Don't know how I never figured that out/read about that. Time to go play MGS2 ASAP.

I somehow doubt Huey, like Hal, would get physically violent in game and take out soldiers. lol

If it were Hal with Solid Snake, I could see him piloting a helicopter at least.

Just had the disturbing thought that kid Emmerich meets kid Snake/Liquid in TPP. Please don't do that Kojima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom