• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

Just found out some life changing news.
YOU CAN HOLD R1/R2 TO HEAR SNAKE's/RAIDEN'S THOUGHTS DURING CONVERSATIONS IN MGS2.

Don't know how I never figured that out/read about that. Time to go play MGS2 ASAP.

Just had the disturbing thought that kid Emmerich meets kid Snake/Liquid in TPP. Please don't do that Kojima.

ehhhh this was actually pretty disappointing. I just figured it out during my playthrough of MGS2 a little while ago and I thought they were going to have specific thoughts about each conversation. Instead it's just the same randomized quotes over and over again.

Once Raiden said the same thing 3 times in a row during the conversation with the AIs you have while fighting Solidus at the end of the game.

Frolow

Banned
tumblr_m9p0xcLrhT1qeg2xgo1_400.gif

It's nice to be back.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Awesome. Is there a way to navigate with WASD or arrows? Its difficult to see the details with just the mouse and zooming.

Really? i think it's the best way. Just hold the left mouse button down and move around and zoom in with the mouse wheel. Works perfect for me.

wilsonda

Haha. Believe it or not but that actually happened on my first playthrough. It's so funny how the guard jumps out the car and tries to be pretend nothing happened afterward.

Yea, I remember it happening during one of my first few times, and I hadn't been able to replicate it till just recently. I had tried to lure him into the road using magazines, but the driver would always see him in time to stop. I didn't do anything special on this playthrough, so I am not quite sure how I got the guard directly in the spot.

Skullface

Shit, I should have taken a picture, but I noticed something interesting at GameStop today. I normally never visit GS these days, but I put in for a preorder for Halo:MCC. On my way out, I happened to notice display place holders for the Phantol Pain, game cases with the x-Ray poster image on them. Is this new? Does this mean we might be very close to a release date? I mean, Halo 5 is tentatively to be released in November of next year, and they have no displays out that I've seen.

Edit: I'll be going back to Boston on Tuesday to pick up Halo. I'll definitely have a picture to share when I get back.

Edit 2: it's worth noting that these display cases had a different image than the placeholders they use online. I think we'll get a release date by the end of this year.

Edit 3: this is obviously a mock up, but very close to what I saw at GameStop. The cases they had were generic BluRay cases that listed all available platforms on them.

metal_gear_solid_v__the_phantom_pain__cover_art__by_garymotherpuckingoak-d68t6ub.png

probably just some shit gamestop threw together to entice preorders. i suppose it could indicate an imminent release date announcement. but i'm not holding my breath on that.

sucks that news on this has slowed on this game for the past month+

Nvzman

Shit, I should have taken a picture, but I noticed something interesting at GameStop today. I normally never visit GS these days, but I put in for a preorder for Halo:MCC. On my way out, I happened to notice display place holders for the Phantol Pain, game cases with the x-Ray poster image on them. Is this new? Does this mean we might be very close to a release date? I mean, Halo 5 is tentatively to be released in November of next year, and they have no displays out that I've seen.

Edit: I'll be going back to Boston on Tuesday to pick up Halo. I'll definitely have a picture to share when I get back.

Edit 2: it's worth noting that these display cases had a different image than the placeholders they use online. I think we'll get a release date by the end of this year.

Edit 3: this is obviously a mock up, but very close to what I saw at GameStop. The cases they had were generic BluRay cases that listed all available platforms on them.

metal_gear_solid_v__the_phantom_pain__cover_art__by_garymotherpuckingoak-d68t6ub.png
I saw this exact same thing months ago, it's just a placeholder.
Seeing the game box in public made me go hnnng

Skullface

I saw this exact same thing months ago, it's just a placeholder.
Seeing the game box in public made me go hnnng

Dammit, I should have known. I still think that we have some hope for an early to mid-year release based on what I've seen. These things are taking up valuable shelf space in a prominent area. Retail stores generally treat shelf space as real estate. I figure that if they didn't expect for the game to drop relatively soon, they would dedicate that space to items where they're certain to see a return in the near future. I'd be worried if I saw FFXV and Halo 5 placeholders along side.

-Deimos

I think MGO will come at a later date similar to GTA Online.

I hope this is the case too, but only like a week. I want a chance to play the story without distractions but I don't want to wait a month or something ridiculous. But still, March is gonna be crazy.

JayEH

Didn't look like this was posted yet but David Hayter is doing an AMA on Nov. 10. 95% of questions will be about MGSV.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't look like this was posted yet but David Hayter is doing an AMA on Nov. 10. 95% of questions will be about MGSV.
Kinda feel sorry for him, Metal Gear will dominate that AMA

It's been 2 months I was away from the internet, I just watched the tgs gameplay. It's probably said already but Kojima is really a genius. That grenade, Quiet combo. Amazing.

Toparaman

Banned
Finished Peace Walker (first ending), and then watched the real ending online.

Yeesh. I don't expect good storytelling from Kojima since MGS4, but I was at least expecting something interesting. For the most part it was just a cliche video game plot.
The character of The Boss didn't need further exploration at all, and (naturally) Kojima only made her intentions more convoluted with this game.

Not to mention making Big Boss's intentions more convoluted too. I thought his whole inspiration for Soldiers Without Borders was The Boss. So in the first ending where she effectively goes pacifist, and Big Boss effectively "lets go" of the Boss, you'd think this would mean he'd also let go of SWB, right? The happy inspiring ending seems to imply as much, and it seems that Kojima forgot that oh right, Big Boss is supposed to be super into being a soldier. And so Koj clumsily came up with a convoluted explanation that only plays out in the title card conversation: well actually, the Boss's rejection of soldier ideology only inspires BB even more to create Outer Heaven! Because...because the Boss's (okay, a 1:1 A.I. facsimile of the Boss's mind; please pretend that this makes sense) rejection of being a soldier is a rejection of Big Boss, and Big Boss is like a scorned lover who needs to spite his former object of affection!

And then there's the real ending, which seems to only exist in order to tie into the nonsense that MGS4 created. Oh, and of course to introduce yet another character flip, because Paz is apparently an Oscar-winning actress much like Ocelot. Great storytelling Kojima; keep rewriting characters for no reason.

Also, I think Kojima really backed himself into a corner with the final plot twist (which, fucking Kojima, is yet another character flip). I thought BB and Kaz were homies, but apparently they're not, so...how am I supposed to view their interactions in MGSV? Why should I care about Kaz losing limbs or wanting revenge if he's just an asshole double-agent?

Oh well. At least the gameplay was pretty fun. And the Donna Burke song is good.

Next up, Rising! My first Platinum game. This should be fun.

JayEH

I thought the story was fine in PW for the most part but nothing to write home about. I think the reason Big Boss continues MSF is that he feels rejected from the Boss because of the final decision she makes so now he doesn't know what to do with his life.Thus he continues doing what he's doing. Regardless he still doesn't think soldiers should be used like The Boss was so there's still some justification for him to continue MSF. I don't Kaz is necessarily a "double agent" he was just trying to make some more money behind Boss' back and it backfired on him. Paz's switch was a bit forced but eh whatever.

PW has just so much content and wacky stuff that I can forgive it for its story faults. It's a great building block upon which TPP is built upon.

wilsonda

is there a way in Ground Zeros to do the sidestep move that we saw in the E3 2013 trailer? right in the reflex part after he disarms the first soldier?

Palpable

is there a way in Ground Zeros to do the sidestep move that we saw in the E3 2013 trailer? right in the reflex part after he disarms the first soldier?

I just watched it & I don't quite get what you're referring to. You mean after he shoots the first soldier and then sidesteps while he aims? It didn't look like reflex mode was on. All he did was aim and then hold the analog stick to the right.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Peace Walker (first ending), and then watched the real ending online.

Yeesh. I don't expect good storytelling from Kojima since MGS4, but I was at least expecting something interesting.

It's a bit harsh to write someone off for one creative misstep in a series of otherwise impeccable games, don't you think...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom