• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

so i pre-odered the premium PS4 version from konami style today.
i'm also getting the day one uk version, and the steam one too.
Hi GAF,

I've been lurking the last 1 1/2 years and realised 3 months ago, that I could register with my ISB mail..

since this is my first post, I had to decide whether I should post on Souls/Bloodborne GAF or on MG GAF. I made my decission, brothers.
Never posted in this thread before. Just finished MGS4 for the first time. That went on forever! Was very confusing! Drebin and Meryl and Akiba was terrible!
welcome brothers.
73MJt3B.gif

Timeaisis

Hi guys.

I like guns. I like Metal Gear Solid. I will miss real firearms represented in the series.

The political undertone concerning firearms in this thread is thoroughly entertaining. I reside in the southern United States, which has arguably the most ardent gun culture in the world. It's nearly impossible to go your entire life down here without having at least held a gun.

It's rather unfortunate to see the degree of firearm expertise that was prevalent in previous iterations of MGS become perceivably nonexistent in MGSV, and I would place my bet on licensing issues being the key reason for this.

If I remember correctly, even the military vehicles and helicopters are only vague resemblances of their real counterparts in this game. That implies that nothing in this game is truly historically centered like the previous Metal Gears were.

I'll still enjoy the hell out of MGSV, even if when Solid Snake makes an appearance in the end, they'll have to find some way to replace his Signature SOCOM.

Basically agree with this. I'll miss BB's Colt 1911. And Snake's SOCOM. But it at least seems like they are still basing them on real weapon models.

so i pre-odered the premium PS4 version from konami style today.
i'm also getting the day one uk version, and the steam one too.
Congrats dude, I read you were not having any luck in the other thread.

So I assume you were able to successfully get the proxy set up? I may need to figure this out for something else I want to get soon...

Either that or make friends with somebody in Japan ASAP and trust they wont screw me lol

Shy

Palpable

Thanks. I got a moderator that lives in Japan from GAF to order it for me. I put in a request to that site just to see how much it'd cost, though.

Cool, I just read that. My biggest concern is that for some unforseen reason Konamistyle won't accept my card. I guess there's no way to know until you try?

They won't. That's why you pay this site and then they use their card to buy it.

Palpable

Wait, you can't think of any game in the series that admonishes the player for killing either?

Of course I can, but killing in MGS doesn't equal gun violence. Most of the time (if I even decide to kill in any MGS game) it's with the knife, neck snapping, barrel explosions, or tossing them off cliffs/bridges.

That's not my issue. You have a game that in many respects laments war and admonishes the player for killing, whilst paying stipends to RL gun manufactures. It's not a huge issue (I still play the game), but it's always been a sticking point with me because it undermines the general political message Kojima is making; which is an arguably more important aspect of the series.

I think it's probably Konami being cheap asses, rather than any sort of ingrained message.

Read what RoyalDuke said. It isn't "nothing". Just because MGS has its fantastical/sci-fi moments does not mean that the series isn't set in a very similar reality to ours.

Well said.

I'm a fan of the AKS-74u that the Gurlukovich mercenaries used.

aks74u.jpg

The AKS-74U was such an interesting gun, they wanted a tiny AK platform that could still put people down but had the size of an SMG for Tank crews, CQB, and Special Operations. It has a unique suppressor that attaches to the Flash flash suppressor that they modeled into MGS2.

For me though I've always been a huge fan these ones:

Colt SAA Artillery model... around 1850 I believe.
images

The FAMAS rifle platform is interesting, below are the F1 and G2 models.
FAMAS_F1.G1.jpg

The Mauser Type 17, these were created primarily in the Shanxi province and Mauser more or less had nothing to do with it, as they were produced by local gangs that were in rebellion at the time. Most of these I've seen have been semiauto but I have seen one select fire variant, oddly enough I can't find any information on it.

C96-10.jpg

And of course the SOCOM, but I also like the VZ61, a small caliber SMG designed for tank crews.
cz-scorpion-vz-61_5473.jpg

Man, it looks like he's on a Strut of MB that is being constructed.

I'm really interested in how all this will work out, I'm trying not to get too hyped about the MB and open world mechanics so I don't disappoint myself if they don't turn out as meaty as I am expecting. It's really hard though....they keep saying all the right things about every single feature and new feature they show us or talk about.

FUUUUCK SIX MONTHS.
tumblr_mr0tbeIYnV1s64rhyo6_r1_400.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Of course I can, but killing in MGS doesn't equal gun violence. Most of the time (if I even decide to kill in any MGS game) it's with the knife, neck snapping, barrel explosions, or tossing them off cliffs/bridges.

That's not even relevant, is it? Regardless of the weapon you prefer to use in the game, they've still licensed guns and they've still paid money to arms manufacturers.

Let me try a broader statement with no mention of guns, see how that sticks:

Metal Gear is a series that preaches about the atrocities of war and how terrible it is to kill people, and then pays licence fees to companies that make weapons of war that kill people in real life. This fundamentally compromises the integrity of the core message of the series.

I think it's probably Konami being cheap asses, rather than any sort of ingrained message.

I don't disagree. Still ironic. Still better they don't support it.

original.jpg

"It's so simple."

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So let's say hypothetically I only have a PS4, PSV, and PSTV because I hypothetically sold my PS3. I've got the MGS Collection on the Vita, MGS1 for PSN, and GZ on the PS4.

How would I go about replaying MGS4 with the equipment I currently own? Bonus points for anyone who can tell me how I can replay Ac!d 1/2 as well.

Vally

WUT.

Isn't Psycho Mantis Russian? Or of Russian descent?

Chico's Nicaraguan right?

Yep, they point that out immediately after. Their point isn't that Chico is Mantis, but that Mantis is creating a hallucination and nothing in GZ is real, just a simulation. Or something.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So let's say hypothetically I only have a PS4, PSV, and PSTV because I hypothetically sold my PS3. I've got the MGS Collection on the Vita, MGS1 for PSN, and GZ on the PS4.

How would I go about replaying MGS4 with the equipment I currently own? Bonus points for anyone who can tell me how I can replay Ac!d 1/2 as well.

I don't know whether or not MGS4 is on PSNow...

AFAIK Ac!d's aren't on PSN, or like Portable Ops, they're not widely available...

It seems that without a PS3 or OG PSP, you may be SOL.

TwoDurans

I don't know whether or not MGS4 is on PSNow...

AFAIK Ac!d's aren't on PSN, or like Portable Ops, they're not widely available...

It seems that without a PS3 or OG PSP, you may be SOL.

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have traded in my old stuff. I feel like a damned fiddle.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yep, they point that out immediately after. Their point isn't that Chico is Mantis, but that Mantis is creating a hallucination and nothing in GZ is real, just a simulation. Or something.

Do they offer a good theory as to why Mantis would be doing that? BB can't be in a coma already since the crash doesn't happen until after the Ground Zeroes mission...

Unless Kojima has been straight up LYING about Phantom Pain's premise and feeding us misinformation purposefully, that makes zero sense.

I discovered something last night while playing GZ and trying to S rank the last of the missions I need to do.

If you hold Right Trigger and move one of the thumbsticks around you can look around and zoom in the cutscene just like in the old games. It blows my mind that I didn't even think of trying that before, considering it's one of those little small things they always put into each MGS that I often overlook but love.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
why does scalebound need to be x1 and bloodborne ps4
it's making my head spin round and round

Vally

Do they offer a good theory as to why Mantis would be doing that? BB can't be in a coma already since the crash doesn't happen until after the Ground Zeroes mission...

Unless Kojima has been straight up LYING about Phantom Pain's premise and feeding us misinformation purposefully, that makes zero sense.

They base it on the fact that there's a contradiction between what Kaz said at the end of Peace Walker ('I knew who they were all along' refering to Zadornov and Paz) and what he says in Ground Zeroes ('I can't believe we bought that cover story').

That's why they think the events of GZ might have not happened. It's still too far-fetched but to be fair they do have a point about Miller.

As to why Mantis would be doing that, no idea. So yeah, it makes no sense lol

TwoDurans

They base it on the fact that there's a contradiction between what Kaz said at the end of Peace Walker ('I knew who they were all along' refering to Zadornov and Paz) and what he says in Ground Zeroes ('I can't believe we bought that cover story').

That's why they think the events of GZ might have not happened. It's still too far-fetched but to be fair they do have a point about Miller.

What if Ground Zeroes takes place AFTER Phantom Pain?

BiGBoSSMk23

As to why Mantis would be doing that, no idea. So yeah, it makes no sense lol

Putting aside the fact that I loathe Peace Walker with a passion, let's just say Kaz said that in the sense that he had suspicions, not that he knew... But then again, he's the one that gets all worked up and throws the overly dramatic "fiddle" tantrum after the GZ ruse. So, he may have simply ignored the true purposes and identities of Zadornov and Paz to use their funds for the expansion of Mother Base...I don't trust Kaz. I have a feeling he's gonna be one shady ass character in Phantom Pain, shadier even than Ocelot...

TwoDurans

Think about it. How any movies have you seen where they show you a piece of the ending first, then show you how they got there, then you see the conclusion.

Maybe GZ takes place after the main narrative of TPP and we'll get an epilogue that shows what happened after the helicopter crash.

Shy

it's because kojima makes it up as he goes along, and has said he doesn't go back to check his notes of what he did in previous games.

that's why there's a contradiction.

BiGBoSSMk23

Think about it. How any movies have you seen where they show you a piece of the ending first, then show you how they got there, then you see the conclusion.

Maybe GZ takes place after the main narrative of TPP and we'll get an epilogue that shows what happened after the helicopter crash.

That would be so fucking lame. I'm sorry. lol

I'd be mad if that was "it".

Good lord, people thinking GZ takes place after TPP.

Good lord we are all going insane. I don't think you guys will make 6 months.

I shall avenge you on the virtual battlefield fallen brothers. ;_;7

Kojimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom