• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonda

Guns are only tools ...much like solid snake...

I love mgsv and the mgs series.. the fact that their aren't gun names isn't a huge deal but I don't believe for a moment that it's due to some moral lesson..

I would bet that this simply has to due with an increase in license fees, which I am fine with. I would rather have budget dollars spent for the more important things: scope, cinematic set pieces, good voice actors, etc.

I just hate when people try to take business decisions and try to spin them to have some morality lessons

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it says what most other movies, books , games say. War is hell.

So isn't it odd - even just a little bit - that a game with that kind of message is giving money to RL gun manufacturers?

I love mgsv and the mgs series.. the fact that their aren't gun names isn't a huge deal but I don't believe for a moment that it's due to some moral lesson..

To be clear, I'm not saying (and have at no point said) that Kojima stopped licensing guns for political reasons, I'm just pointing out the irony.

Personally, I think it speaks of war as a symptom of the human condition.

Disagree, for all the points I raised on the last page.

So isn't it odd - even just a little bit - that a game with that kind of message is giving money to RL gun manufacturers?

To be clear, I'm not saying that Kojima stopped licensing guns for political reasons, I'm just pointing out the irony.
No. Not at all. Having the guns just makes that element of the game more authentic.

wilsonda

To be clear, I'm not saying that Kojima stopped licensing guns for political reasons, I'm just pointing out the irony.

You are correct with the irony part of it... anti war game maker paying gun makers, but it's a tenuous connection. Gun makers don't start wars even if they benefit from it. Humans kill and start wars, and I feel that mgs games speak more to human nature rather than any specific ideology. we may not all share the same opinion but we all love mgs games because they can help teach us about ourselves and mankind

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No. Not at all. Having the guns just makes that element of the game more authentic.

Okay, but I see a clear dissonance in a game where the political message is (in your own words) "War is Hell" and that demonstrably rates non-violent solutions over killing, giving money to RL gun manufacturers.

You are correct with the irony part of it... anti war game maker paying gun makers, but it's a tenuous connection.

I have to disagree with the last part, for obvious reasons.

Gun makers don't start wars even if they benefit from it. Humans kill and start wars, and I feel that mgs games speak more to human nature rather than any specific ideology. we may not all share the same opinion but we all love mgs games because they can help teach us about ourselves and mankind

Humans run gun companies too, some of which have some disgusting practices. They are not above selling guns off the books to countries that UN policy dictates should not be supported. You have to dig a bit on Google, but you can find plenty.

Did every anti-war movie you've ever seen have made up guns?

Also "war is hell" does not mean war is never the answer. I do not get that from metal gear games .

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
War is a living he'll to those fighting( and their loved ones) no matter what. Even if the war is deemed necessary or justified horrible things happen.

Opto

Banned
Idea Channel about this very topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIHH0XEs6E

Personally I'm glad I won't be giving money to manufacturers who walk arm in arm with the NRA who oppose any and all gun restrictions and whose only solution to anything involving gun violence is "buy more gun."

Maybe it's politically motivated, maybe it's a cost saving method, maybe it's the hubris of "I'm going to make a better gun than real guns." But in a game that will surely contain things I disagree with, I can at least know that this will save me some guilty feelings.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This gun talk is getting boring now. Isn't there a Gun community OT in off topic?

I'm pretty sure there can be more than one conversation thread going at the same time. Simply skip the gun chat and talk about whatever you want to talk about. Simples!

Also, if I go into the Gun OT and start talking about the irony of licensed guns in Metal Gear, they'll tell me to go to the MGS OT. A kind of "Catch .22" situation, if you will.

JayEH

I'm pretty sure there can be more than one conversation thread going at the same time. Simply skip the gun chat and talk about whatever you want to talk about. Simples!

Also, if I go into the Gun OT and start talking about the irony of licensed guns in Metal Gear, they'll tell me to go to the MGS OT. A kind of "Catch .22" situation, if you will.

You sly dog.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You sly dog.

smug.gif

Palpable

They know they're being tortured and they can clearly see that they're keeping prisoners exposed to the elements. Plus after you rescue Chico, you can go to the western refugee camp where the Marines are going to execute a prisoner for running away.

On top of that, in the Red Band trailer, they clearly execute a prisoner after waterboarding them. (Although admittedly , the same trailer shows the Diamond Dogs also torturing)

Which could be standard operating procedure. Plus, the Marines doing so feel bad about it. Listen to the convo of the Marines talking by where Chico is held after you rescue him.

Palpable

1. You have a game that "laments war" yet features killing as a pretty big gameplay mechanic

2. I can't think of any game in the series admonishes a player for killing. You're rewarded for not killing because in many instances it's more difficult to playthrough without killing. Particularly in GZ where you're given the option to kill US marines just doing their job, a first for the series

3. Maybe not so much in 4, but including RL manufacturers helps with immersion, especially with politics. Certain munitions indicate the nationality of your enemy, whilst Anericans with Russian munitions are meant to show some allegiance that's meant to confuse the story and set up plot twists

4. There's nothing inherently evil about gun manufacturers, so I hardly think think that paying a license fee to add a degree of realism undermines much of anything

VERY well said, Skullface.

dc89

Can I ask what everyones favourite:

MGS V trailer is
MGS trailer of all time (from any of the games)

I want to watch some stuff, I need inspiration. /salute

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ

Tv5ByGx.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom