• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I just wanna say I'm really sorry I worried you, when I was at my very lowest, I didn't think my thoughts would affect anyone. I was completely overwhelmed by so much emotion.

Spoke to my uncle about stuff and he's gonna help me out. You guys are nothing short of the best people on the planet and I'm lucky to be a part of this community. Thank you for your support and concern. It means a great deal, more than I can ever express in words.

Now then, where were we? Ah, yes, E3 hype!

I haven't really been on Neogaf for very long nor have I posted much in many topics or this community but after seeing your other thread I just wanted to say, i'm glad you're okay and I hope everything starts looking up for you :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
yall are wonderful people just reading a bunch of the posts

tumblr_mg90w4rqPf1ql6c6go5_500.gif

Guys, I just wanna say I'm really sorry I worried you, when I was at my very lowest, I didn't think my thoughts would affect anyone. I was completely overwhelmed by so much emotion.

Spoke to my uncle about stuff and he's gonna help me out. You guys are nothing short of the best people on the planet and I'm lucky to be a part of this community. Thank you for your support and concern. It means a great deal, more than I can ever express in words.

It's great to have you back! Jump aboard the hypetrain.

MajorTom

Glad that you're okay brother!
We're all here for you if you ever need someone to talk to :)

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS4/index.htm

Recently read this analysis of mgs4 and given its theme and circumstances, I can see why Kojima did what he did.

I know that many here on gaf have a wayward relationship with IV despite it winning goty twice fold and what not, but (if you feel up to it) read that analysis and tell me that the subtext and usage of genre tropes to deliver its message isn't clever even if it might be coming from a weary/negative mind space.

All of the fan service clusterfuckery and self referendum does make it seem like kojima giving fans a proverbial middle finger but I'd like to think that it must have been more than that to him. Quite a mixed feeling if there was one. Now that I think about it, some people have assessed that the metal gear fanbase falls into two spectrums: the gameplay spectrum and the story/lore spectrum. I ,however, think that there is this psuedo third spectrum that is occupied by the ones that I look to the subtext of the narrative more than the surface level narrative itself and the older I become, the more I find myself within that third group. I don't know. So much complexity. Lots to ponder. Curious to know everyone's thoughts on mgs 4's theme.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS4/index.htm

Recently read this analysis of mgs4 and given its theme and circumstances, I can see why Kojima did what he did.

I know that many here on gaf have a wayward relationship with IV despite it winning goty twice fold and what not, but (if you feel up to it) read that analysis and tell me that the subtext and usage of genre tropes to deliver its message isn't clever even if it might be coming from a weary/negative mind space.

All of the fan service clusterfuckery and self referendum does make it seem like kojima giving fans a proverbial middle finger but I'd like to think that it must have been more than that to him. Quite a mixed feeling if there was one. Now that I think about it, some people have assessed that the metal gear fanbase falls into two spectrums: the gameplay spectrum and the story/lore spectrum. I ,however, think that there is this psuedo third spectrum that is occupied by the ones that I look to the subtext of the narrative more than the surface level narrative itself and the older I become, the more I find myself within that third group. I don't know. So much complexity. Lots to ponder. Curious to know everyone's thoughts on mgs 4's theme.

That's a great read. Thanks for posting.

Hypron

1434245548-metal-gear-solid-3-platinum.png

3 down, 2 to go! And about 80 days left, so I think I'll make it in time.

Well, that was a lot easier/shorter than the MGS2 Platinum. Took about 25 hours according to the ingame timers, so about the same time as Ground Zeroes.

It was a lot of fun though, great game.

I think playing this game for a second time really confirms that Metal Gear games are just a lot more enjoyable on a second playthrough. In all three games so far on my first playthrough I'd just get spotted all the time because I did not know the maps and enemy behaviours. Whereas on a second playthrough all the gameplay mechanics would really start to shine, as I knew the maps and how to play with the enemies.

Next up: MGS4, and then Peace Walker.

I tried to play MG1 and 2 but they just felt too old for my tastes, so I read up the plot instead.

Loakum

Banned
zRu3d6F.jpg

Goddaminit! I'm about to lose my freakin mind! I'm paying for the collector's edition, but I still won't be able to get this steelbook cover, because I live in the US! UGH!!!

Mexen

Chakra_Khan, great share, brother! I remember reading their analyses some time back. They really fucked with my mind. Dat TPP analysis in months to come is gonna be something.

kojima retweeted these fan made controllers
CHZlFW-UcAA0O33.jpg

I'm on the fence. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel. Lol

tpp91

Neo Member
Chakra_Khan, great share, brother! I remember reading their analyses some time back. They really fucked with my mind. Dat TPP analysis in months to come is gonna be something.

I'm on the fence. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel. Lol

Probably a cool looking thing to have and never use, way too busy aesthetically for my liking. There's too much going on with the cover moving and the color design is ugly as hell too. Then again, I like more subtle things; I think the DD controller that comes with the ps4 is perfect.

Mexen

Probably a cool looking thing to have and never use, way too busy aesthetically for my liking. There's too much going on with the cover moving and the color design is ugly as hell too. Then again, I like more subtle things; I think the DD controller that comes with the ps4 is perfect.

Yeah, I was gonna say this.

I admire their effort to base the controller on Big Boss himself (or so it seems) but something more subtle would have definitely worked better imo.

Wouldn't mind owning a replica of this and hang it somewhere though, or if I had a child around, the real thing would protect the touch pad from toddler drool/scratches? Idk. That's about all I can think of in terms of practicality. Lol.

Aesthetically, it isn't appealing.

OrochiJR

Hey guys, I don't want to poke a dead horse but I just checked one of my mail addresses, and saw that the site posted a news video today about the neurosurgical doctor who had the MGS conspiracy surrounding him a few months ago. You can watch the video here, it's in German though.

Just thought that's a funny coincidence at the start of E3 week. One fellow gaffer wrote in one of the old threads that GAF will go down when this doctor, Kojima and Hayter come out together at one of the E3 conferences. I by now believe this is just a huge coincidence, but it would still be so awesome if it happened. :D

Embearded

After some days of studying and exams, i'm back getting hyped for the trailer and the game....

kojima retweeted these fan made controllers
CHZlFW-UcAA0O33.jpg

wow! I wonder if is to possible to play with the cover on. It's not ugly but it's not something i like too.... I guess if it wasn't about MGS i would dislike it on the spot.

I've been watching all the videos about TPP and the gameplay video from TGS 2014 reminded me about that mansion we see on the back:

It seems pretty huge and i am getting excited when i think about exploring it and the possibilities! :D

Thinking of getting that steelbook from Amazon but am living in Ireland. Are Amazon good for day one deliveries? I'm assuming they are if you're from the UK and ordering from the UK site but want to make sure..

MajorTom

Thinking of getting that steelbook from Amazon but am living in Ireland. Are Amazon good for day one deliveries? I'm assuming they are if you're from the UK and ordering from the UK site but want to make sure..
Nothing about the steel book on Amazon UK yet. I'm keeping my Amazon order anyway because I had to cancel my CE order. I'd love to have the CE and the steel book but I'm more bothered about actually playing the game than anything else.
Hopefully Amazon UK gets the steel book though
Oh and yes they're great for day one deliveries, never messed up for me yet

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
LIIIIIIIIQUIIIIID?

What's he doing there...?

Ha, I know! My first thought as well.

Man, why does the 'real world' suck sometimes. >_>

It's E3 season, I don't wanna be stressed. ;_;

Be strong, bro or sis. :)

My life is in many ways completely up in the air for the next several weeks as I wait for one very particular piece of mail, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Whatever you're going through -- try try try to keep your head up! People are here for ya.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm sure this has been gone over with a fine tooth comb (admit it, you heard that in Raiden's voice) but it's my first time seeing it. The GamesRadar Q&A had a really uplifting response concerning the cutscene stuff. It doesn't change what's been stated elsewhere, but the fellow replying said some positive things about the brevity/relative rarity of them that kind of put my heart at ease a little bit.

Rob Moorhouse (Facebook) - "Are the cut scenes 14 hours long like in MGS4?"

No, and this was a big surprise. The opening prologue begins with the lengthiest cutscene I saw in the my 15 hours with the game, but after that the cutscenes tend to only appear at really key story moments. I've seen some of our readers worry that this removes a big chunk of the magic, but it really doesn't. 1) When the cutscenes do happen they feel really special, and 2) When the cutscenes do happen they are always pretty awesome and packed with fan-service. Instead of cutscenes, the game using lots of incidental dialogue: characters chatting over radios, overheard guard conversations and a vast library of casette tapes that contain old intel. Personally, I really liked the cassettes – you can pop one on your iDroid, whistle for D-Horse and go galloping off with the sound of nerdy Metal Gear Solid lore filling your ears. Heaven!

http://www.gamesradar.com/your-metal-gear-solid-5-questions-answered/

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Oh man can you imagine they will show a new location... snow?? those gameplay demonstrations are always so well done, camera movement, which items to use etc. it's always planned and Jackie (the player) puts in over 100 hours to make sure everything works as planned.

Maybe new MGSV trailer at Geoff's stream and gameplay presentation at Sony's presser?

Oh man can you imagine they will show a new location... snow?? those gameplay demonstrations are always so well done, camera movement, which items to use etc. it's always planned and Jackie (the player) puts in over 100 hours to make sure everything works as planned.

Maybe new MGSV trailer at Geoff's stream and gameplay presentation at Sony's presser?
If they showed a snow location I would lose my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom