• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorTom

My Metal Gear Collection

Felt like sharing it for the first time... :)

Ki6lslnl.jpg

that mgs1 case looks so boring. Completely different to the Pal version.

For the first game I actually prefer the US cover. The artwork + title font color in the PAL one really don't mesh.

I'm not really sure about MGS2's US cover, I think it's the same as the PAL one but I don't really like that one either, the choice of colors, the orange etc, looks ugly. I prefer the japanese cover for that.

PAL:

E6FLkdc.jpg

JP:

XwaGSmA.jpg

MajorTom

I don't have my PS2 copy of mgs2 anymore (lost it when I moved house), was the title on the case glossy? For some reason I have it in my mind that it was chrome.

LowParry

Hmm. So what do you guys think of Hayter being a VO for Bloodstained? I mean it's going to happen with how so damn quick that game is getting funded. I need to put some money down on it anyway but damn. The thirst is real for a new Iga game.

MajorTom

Hmm. So what do you guys think of Hayter being a VO for Bloodstained? I mean it's going to happen with how so damn quick that game is getting funded. I need to put some money down on it anyway but damn. The thirst is real for a new Iga game.

Cool? I don't understand why it's him specifically.

Rajang

Solid Snake in Bloodstained, can't wait.

Yeah, the screenshot doesn't really show that at all. It's still pretty ugly.

:<

I love MGS2 SoL PAL/NA.

Venom Fox

Banned
MGS4 was 70 Million to develop. MGSV is 100 Million!? Damn. That's absurd.
Think about that figure for a moment.

Now compare the work that went into MGS4 (linear structure so minimal time spent building scenes) and the amount of work that's gone into MGSV, taking into consideration that it's open world, (asset building would have taken ages and a whole chunk of that 100M) has numerous side missions (another chunk), engine dev costs Etc.

An extra 30M for a game that will surpass MGS4 in every possible way doesn't seem like the big jump its supposed to be.

MajorTom

Think about that figure for a moment.

Now compare the work that went into MGS4 (linear structure so minimal time spent building scenes) and the amount of work that's gone into MGSV, taking into consideration that it's open world, (asset building would have taken ages and a whole chunk of that 100M) has numerous side missions (another chunk), engine dev costs Etc.

An extra 30M for a game that will surpass MGS4 in every possible way doesn't seem like the big jump its supposed to be.

I wonder how much of that went to Kiefer...

R-User!

The U.S. edition of MGS1 is really nice despite being "plain": the red lettering is reflective red metallic "leaf" printing: it adds a nice "Classy" look to the "plain" white background.

It also somewhat echoes/foreshadows the opening Konami logo screen...

I think if your first experience with MGS art is with a plain white background with a metallic red-lettered jewel case from the "pre-Internet" era, then it's rather iconic in its simplicity, if not somewhat daring and bold to sell themselves on "Just their name".

I personally love that case! ;)

MajorTom

The U.S. edition of MGS1 is really nice despite being "plain": the red lettering is reflective red metallic "leaf" printing: it adds a nice "Classy" look to the "plain" white background.

It also somewhat echoes/foreshadows the opening Konami logo screen...

I think if your first experience with MGS art is with a plain white background with red lettering jewel case from the "pre-Internet" era, then it's rather iconic in its simplicity, if not somewhat daring and bold to sell themselves on "Just their name".

I personally love that case! ;)

I agree, I love the PAL cover art but that's what I've grown up looking at. I can understand why people would like the US version though.

Rajang

I think if your first experience with MGS art is with a plain white background with a metallic red-lettered jewel case from the "pre-Internet" era, then it's rather iconic in its simplicity, if not somewhat daring and bold to sell themselves on "Just their name".

I don't like just plain text covers. We had that with the Final Fantasy games here. I remember seeing the NA FF7 and FFX cover and being very jealous. I would have preferred those over the boring ones we got:

http://www.tuttocartoni.com/finalfa...ia Center/cover/Final_Fantasy_7_pal-front.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x268/TrustyPanda/FFX_cover.jpg

Venom Fox

Banned
I wonder how much of that went to Kiefer...
I was wondering that too, do you guys reckon it was in the $1M Mark?

It would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than GTAV's $265m (the 4th most expensive movie ever made).

Movie? GTAV has more gameplay than most if not all games in the same genre ever made.

Hell, Kojima even said he was depressed by GTAV and said MGSV won't be as good (yeah, I don't believe him either) because the player has more control and freedom in GTAV.

Movie? GTAV has more gameplay than most if not all games in the same genre ever made.

I'm not saying that at all. Seeing as it's the most expensive video game ever made, it's logical to next compare it with movies for budget. And if it were a movie it would be the 4th most expensive.

R-User!

That's awesome.

MGS2: SoL still has the best cover imo.

And man some of those NA covers look way worse than the ones we have in Europe.

Thanks! I really like MGS2 too. I'm inclined to say that from all the default NA covers, that I like MGS2 the most too; MGS4 is not really in the conversation due to no Shinkwa art, but I almost like them equally for their own reasons. Hard to pick... Too much nostalgia.

Nice. I like the formation there too.

Thanks for the comment. The formation was certainly not haphazard. :) Took a bit of experimentation to fit it all on the posters without it blocking too much of Raiden or Snake while still having a sort of order and pattern that "flows" and allows for grouping of content type and a sort of cross-section of both pre and post MGS1 timelines; surprised at no comments about the posters...

...but in case anyone might wonder, no, I have not, and hope to never have to, work at a GameStop! :/
No offense to those who do, but I wouldn't want to turn my favorite hobby into something that I have to sell to others. Though I'm grateful for the Manager at the store who let me have the posters once they were allowed to come down!

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
gtav is impressive and all, but i didnt really find the gameplay something amazing, and in the end its all i cared about. the world isnt really that impressive either, american cities dont interest me that much.

Venom Fox

Banned
even if you knew how much dialogue he had. do you have a frame of reference to figure out how much they paid him? i feel like you guys are just throwing out numbers
Give this a read.

Celebrity voice actors can earn up to $750,000 per hour.

https://thegamerguyrants.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/voice-acting-in-video-games/

If Sutherland earned anywhere near that much then, wow, just wow lol.

Makes sense that
Quiet is literally quiet.
Code talker probably is a mute who only writes code.
Skullface only has a couple of lines.
Big Boss is a mute.

Sorry for the double post guys.

ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS? Half of GTAV's alleged budget?
tumblr_m4sxfhm0zf1rw7k3jo1_400.gif

Jesus that is insane.

Then again it could be split down the middle, development of a new engine and then the game on top of it.

All dat merchandising. Lawd.

Shy

I don't know if I've ever seen it tbh
This is the Japanese cover.
B8ayR9p.jpg

This is the Japanese cover that was for the premium edition. (i've got this one)
Wkt2oLh.jpg

Please note, that title is an embossed metallic silver (that looks quite nice) this pic doesn't do it justice

Give this a read.

Celebrity voice actors can earn up to $750,000 per hour.

https://thegamerguyrants.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/voice-acting-in-video-games/

If Sutherland earned anywhere near that much then, wow, just wow lol.

Makes sense that
Quiet is literally quiet.
Code talker probably is a mute who only writes code.
Skullface only has a couple of lines.
Big Boss is a mute.

Sorry for the double post guys.

thanks for the info. i highly doubt sutherland made even remotely close to that. that's more than he made per episode of 24 when the show was at its peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom