• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpable

That's easy enough. I'll start MGS tonight I think.

Will do! Somehow over the years I've actually managed the almost every spoiler about the games, so I'm going in blind. Should be interesting.

Don't start with the MSX games. They're not important. The gist of their stories are summed up in the other games. They've been mostly retconned like crazy anyway.

Woaaaaohaaaaaaaaaaa!

So you are a virgin? Holy cow how did you manage that?? and holy cow are you in for a treat then. ENJOY THE GAMES!!!
Pretty much yeah. By the time I realized how big a deal Metal Gear was, the third game was released and I so behind the times that I just didn't follow Metal Gear news or conversations. And if I read a spoiler like eight years ago, I've totally forgotten it by now anyways. I hope I will :)

That's easy enough. I'll start MGS tonight I think.

Will do! Somehow over the years I've actually managed the almost every spoiler about the games, so I'm going in blind. Should be interesting.

Have you been posting here for awhile or just recently?! What got you interested in joining? Man, I'm super excited to see what you think. Keep us on a running update list!!

brau

goaddamnit, brau. Ha ha ha.
Maybe... Quiet would be my first ^_^

tumblr_nchjbfsY8X1t6xtc8o2_r1_500.gif

Pretty much yeah. By the time I realized how big a deal Metal Gear was, the third game was released and I so behind the times that I just didn't follow Metal Gear news or conversations. And if I read a spoiler like eight years ago, I've totally forgotten it by now anyways. I hope I will :)

Well.. i am so jealous. I wish i could back to the games with no idea about them. Its such a fun saga to explore and be a part of. But seriously. post impressions as you go. I am super excited for you.

Have you been posting here for awhile or just recently?! What got you interested in joining? Man, I'm super excited to see what you think. Keep us on a running update list!!
I had always intended to play them someday, but it was way down my list of things to do (huge backlog) One of my best friends bought the Legacy Collection last year and loved it, and then he saw it was cheap via CAG last week, so he sent me the link to get it...and here I am $30 poorer, but with tons of stuff to play!

Rajang

I had always intended to play them someday, but it was way down my list of things to do (huge backlog) One of my best friends bought the Legacy Collection last year and loved it, and then he saw it was cheap via CAG last week, so he sent me the link to get it...and here I am $30 poorer, but with tons of stuff to play!

$30 is a very good deal for The Legacy Collection. 8 Metal Gear games and the two bonus digital graphic novels.

Great value.

Mexen

Wow, lucky guy. Gets to experience MGS titles all at once. We waited years. Enjoy, brother. Before the Internet taints you
Teams B, C and D, *spits*
be sure to post your thoughts on the titles as you complete them.
Would pay to replay those games for the first time again. ( ._.)...would pay real money ;_;7

tumblr_nchjbfsY8X1t6xtc8o2_r1_500.gif

Well.. i am so jealous. I wish i could back to the games with no idea about them. Its such a fun saga to explore and be a part of. But seriously. post impressions as you go. I am super excited for you.

Kyaaaa. Definitely gonna attempt to find Quiet on my first playthrough but if I miss her, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kuwa bara kuwa bara~

Don't encourage him. I cannot go through MGS Yaoi pictures again.

Kindekuma

Banned
Wow, lucky guy. Get's to experience MGS titles all at once. We waited years. Enjoy it, brother. Before the Internet taints you
Teams B, C and D, *spits*
be sure to post your thoughts on the titles as you complete theme.
Would pay to replay those games for the first time again. ( ._.)...would pay real money ;_;7

Kyaaaa. Definitely gonna attempt to find Quiet on my first playthrough but if I miss her, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is a possibility that Vally will never find Quiet, and Dawg will never find DD on their playthough of TPP.

From a Dutch interview with Stefanie Joosten:

• Budget of MGSV is almost 100 million dollars.
  • Stefanie doesn't get royalties if the game sells well.
  • Stefanie never met Kiefer Sutherland.

Vally

There is a possibility that Vally will never find Quiet, and Dawg will never find DD on their playthough of TPP.

Or even worse, I'll find her and she will be killed for the rest of the game D: anyway in my first playthrough I'm not gonna bother restarting the game if I miss or lose a buddy

From a Dutch interview with Stefanie Joosten:

• Budget of MGSV is 100 million dollars.
  • Stefanie doesn't get royalties if the game sells well.
  • Stefanie never met Kiefer Sutherland.

100 million dollars o_O damn

Kindekuma

Banned
You must be new to games if you think voice actors get royalties or any sort of income from successful games. Remember that whole thing with the actor from GTAIV?

I knew that VAs don't get royalities, I'm just surprised to hear that it was even mentioned at all.

And no, to answer your question.

brau

I knew that VAs don't get royalities, I'm just surprised to hear that it was even mentioned at all.

And no, to answer your question.

You should read about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/arts/television/21gta.html?pagewanted=all

There is also the whole thing with the voice actor of Silent Hills, which lead to the re recording of his voice... it was awful.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-voice-actor-defends-silent-hill-2-hd

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-silent-hill-hd

http://www.examiner.com/article/guy...t-silent-hill-hd-collection-s-voice-recasting

This last one is an open letter from the actor.

really interesting stuff, and really sad as well.

Stefanie says Kojima is nice to work with and has a very creative mind. He sometimes even changes/adds things on the fly when they're in the middle of motion capture.

EDIT: Supreme Stephan, can you post like a summary or something? But I guess you already covered the important parts, huh?
Yeah, those were the most interesting points as far as I can remember. The TV program isn't gaming oriented at all, so they didn't go very in depth with their questions.

And here's a picture for her fans lol:

Edit: The interviewer just corrected himself. He says the budget is "almost" 100 million dollars.

The first Metal Gear has aged badly, but MG2 is still a fun game.

While MG2 is full of neat ideas, I actually think MG1 is better overall. MG2 is way worse in the backtracking department and has more downright annoying parts (Follow the dude with the green beret, the invisible swamp, etc.) and while the stealth gameplay was ambitious, it works better in the first game were each screen was designed as it's own challenge.

But yeah, I wouldn't start with either of the MSX games.

Oh, and MGS virgin guy...don't forget to watch MGS1's Briefing before you start a new game!

It's available from the main menu.

MGS does a really, really good job of informing the player of the MG1/MG2 backstory. considering the rare nature of both games, MG2 in particular, when MGS was released, most fans didn't play either title until after MGS. and most who did play MG, played the NES MG1, which was changed quite a bit from the original MSX game. i don't even think i got out of the jungle when i played MG NES as a kid, haha

Sony ain't going to fund his next project, that's for sure.

if the MGSV budget was $100MM+, I would think that number includes development costs of the fox engine, which conflates the costs of the engine and the cost of the game itself. particularly considering they already released 3 games with the fox engine, and will presumably release more after MGSV

All being said, both MSX Metal Gear's have aged quite a bit better than other classics of the era for example the first Zelda or Metroid. And classic Metal Gear is very similiar in it's structure to those games to begin with, so if you can still play those nowadays, you might actually give both MSX MG's a try right now. It'd be pretty interesting to see someone's "first playthrough impressions" while going from Metal Gear 2 to Metal Gear Solid

R-User!

All being said, both MSX Metal Gear's have aged quite a bit better than other classics of the era for example the first Zelda or Metroid. And classic Metal Gear is very similiar in it's structure to those games to begin with, so if you can still play those nowadays, you might actually give both MSX MG's a try right now. It'd be pretty interesting to see someone's "first playthrough impressions" while going from Metal Gear 2 to Metal Gear Solid

I thinking would be epic to hear those impressions! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom