• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Flo_Evans

Nozdeuce said:
CQC question: when you choke someone your stamina bar turns green and slowly empties, if the person your choking resists by spamming the left stick, your green stamina bar empties faster. Sometimes when I choke someone both our bars are full, but he somehow ends up emptying mine while i choke him and I end up getting knocked out. Anyone know how/why this happens? Could it simply be he outranks my CQC skill?

yep. If he has more CQC skill he can escape then stagger you.

Indeed

greenjerk said:
well, if you're willing to pay for relocation...

btw, who is that in your avatar?

this guy =)

hellyeahhu3.jpg

Sallokin

Nozdeuce said:
CQC question: when you choke someone your stamina bar turns green and slowly empties, if the person your choking resists by spamming the left stick, your green stamina bar empties faster. Sometimes when I choke someone both our bars are full, but he somehow ends up emptying mine while i choke him and I end up getting knocked out. Anyone know how/why this happens? Could it simply be he outranks my CQC skill?

I had this happen to me quite often during the beta even though I had CQC level 3. I had heard that it was an issue with lag but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

well, imagine if someone is trying to choke you out, by you resisting, it makes it much more difficult. I assume the designers used this logic. I don't know if having a higher CQC+ skill is a factor, but it seems that way. I can choke the snipers fairly well cause they're not adding the CQC skill, well, I can choke them out if they're not named EviLore....

Ploid 3.0

Is there a leveling guide somewhere? I have no clue how it's done. I figured it was like CoD4 where you get exp on the skill when you use it to kill, sleep, trap people with it, or use it (in runner's case). It seems like I'm making hardly any progress at all. At this rate I'll get level 2 in a month np.

I found the skill area yesterday, so if I level do I get a list of how my "skills" improved? When I enter rooms where I'm warned other players may be out of my league, it seems like they have bullet proof vests. This is my first MGO. I got ,gs3 at launch, and I'm not a double dip/dlc kinda person.

Teknoman

Just a friendly reminder for some of you guys and girls with headsets to turn your speaking/input/whatever volumes up. I've got every volume on my headset (in the XMB, in MGS4/MGO, and on the headset itself) all the way up, and some of you still come out sounding quiet.

So I know its not me right? Unless I sound quiet coming through your headsets too.

Ploid 3.0

Teknoman said:
Just a friendly reminder for some of you guys and girls with headsets to turn your speaking/input/whatever volumes up. I've got every volume on my headset (in the XMB, in MGS4/MGO, and on the headset itself) all the way up, and some of you still come out sounding quiet.

So I know its not me right? Unless I sound quiet coming through your headsets too.

I have my headset set to 3 due to the warhawk jabra having 0 background noise cancelation. It would get me muted due to the high traffic in my livingroom and a crying toddler nephew that visits frequently. If anyone was in that faggio race in GTA4 lol "What the crap is that sound?"

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Teknoman said:

I'm a non-headset owner but I totally managed to hear Wasabi like twice last night. Never again though

Ploid 3.0

Flo_Evans said:
I think one of the skills you can equip will show your traps thru SOP to your team mates.

http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/869/869398/skills_014.jpg

Not sure if its worth it to use a slot... but if you are trap crazy :D[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, I need to sit down and study this game. I didn't know about a lot of this stuff.

naldo

Ploid 3.0 said:
Is there a leveling guide somewhere? I have no clue how it's done. I figured it was like CoD4 where you get exp on the skill when you use it to kill, sleep, trap people with it, or use it (in runner's case). It seems like I'm making hardly any progress at all. At this rate I'll get level 2 in a month np.

I found the skill area yesterday, so if I level do I get a list of how my "skills" improved? When I enter rooms where I'm warned other players may be out of my league, it seems like they have bullet proof vests. This is my first MGO. I got ,gs3 at launch, and I'm not a double dip/dlc kinda person.

Im not 100%, but I think to level up you have to play against competition that is of the same or higher level than you are. For instance if you are at level 3 and the average level of the room you play in is 1, then you wont level up, but if you play in level 4 or 5 rooms your level will start to go up.

In terms of the skills leveling up, they just level up as you use them, the more kills you get with a handgun, you hangun skill goes up, more CQC you do, your CQC skill goes up, etc (but only skills you have eqiuped go up, so if you have the handgun skill equiped but only fight with assault rifles, neither your handgun or assault rifle skills will go up).

FabCam

I kind of find it annoying that when you rank up a skill, it takes up 2 slots. I have lvl 2 sniper, runner and handgun +, but can't upgrade them as lvl 2 monomania is so useful.

Nozdeuce

dork said:
I don't care about my overall level, i just want to level up the blades so i can gut you fools.
I dunno what I should level next. Have Blades, CQC, Assault Rifles, Sniper all mastered, suggestions?

Ploid 3.0 said:
(Note to self: Beware of Nozdeuce)

You have no idea. I swear, last night my dude's head must've been the size of a giant watermelon, cause everytime I'd step out, Nozdeuce was there to ventilate it.

Noz, have you considered some of the passive skills, like Scanning or Narc? They're pretty useful for bringing the rest of the team up to your speed.

dork

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
(Note to self: Beware of Nozdeuce)

Hes got nothing..NOTHING.

As long as he doesn't get close to me, I think I'm safe...then again were in the same clan..yet never on the same team

Soon as im done from trying to get a quick tan, im going to play again

Nozdeuce said:
I'm a non-headset owner but I totally managed to hear Wasabi like twice last night. Never again though

My connection is OK, upload is 768K, but there was a time where I turned off the mic accidentally. If you see the name popup, I'm basically talking or yelling at my dog.

Flo_Evans

Seems like everyones headset is really quiet. I have mine cranked in the options and could hardly hear some people.

Every that is going to be playing regularly should invest in a headset. It is SOOOO much easier to play as a team if you can talk, and you know discuss a strat instead of GO! GO! GO! Which, sometimes works but heh. :lol

Also you should up the maximum upload speed in options to 512kbps (if you have that much upload) seems to smooth out the game somewhat.

Also maybe for the OP can we add the ports it uses? Not sure what they are ATM, I have my PS3 set to DMZ host (direct to the internet with no firewall) if anyone has any questions about configuring their router fire away and maybe we can update the OP with best settings.

edit: its port 5730. Should be forwarded to your PS3's IP address.

Nozdeuce

Human_Shield said:
You have no idea. I swear, last night my dude's head must've been the size of a giant watermelon, cause everytime I'd step out, Nozdeuce was there to ventilate it.

Noz, have you considered some of the passive skills, like Scanning or Narc? They're pretty useful for bringing the rest of the team up to your speed.
I do what I can for my people, does everyone hate getting slept via Mosin as much as I think they do?

I've got mono up to level 2, I've done a bit of scanning. I dunno which would be more useful, I'm pretty inconsistent so sometimes Mono is really helpful for when I can't close a kill, but then sometimes I destroy people instantly so it's not much use. Guess I'll work on them both though.

dork said:
Hes got nothing..NOTHING.

As long as he doesn't get close to me, I think I'm safe...then again were in the same clan..yet never on the same team

Soon as im done from trying to get a quick tan, im going to play again
That's the downside to Blades3 + CQC1, I think I only managed to get you once at BB at range during like the final few minutes. Rest of the time was lucky point blank twitch headshots

WasabiKing said:
My connection is OK, upload is 768K, but there was a time where I turned off the mic accidentally. If you see the name popup, I'm basically talking or yelling at my dog.
Think the only times I heard you was when you were complimenting Warcack.

dork

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
That's the downside to Blades3 + CQC1, I think I only managed to get you once at BB at range during like the final few minutes. Rest of the time was lucky point blank twitch headshots

But to me nothing else seems worth it. I guess..unless the assault rifles leveled up make a big impact

Nozdeuce

dork said:
But to me nothing else seems worth it. I guess..unless the assault rifles leveled up make a big impact
I don't really notice the incremental difference, but not having it at all is really really brutal.

Flo_Evans said:
Seems like everyones headset is really quiet. I have mine cranked in the options and could hardly hear some people.

Every that is going to be playing regularly should invest in a headset. It is SOOOO much easier to play as a team if you can talk, and you know discuss a strat instead of GO! GO! GO! Which, sometimes works but heh. :lol

Also you should up the maximum upload speed in options to 512kbps (if you have that much upload) seems to smooth out the game somewhat.

Also maybe for the OP can we add the ports it uses? Not sure what they are ATM, I have my PS3 set to DMZ host (direct to the internet with no firewall) if anyone has any questions about configuring their router fire away and maybe we can update the OP with best settings.

DMZ is too lazy and unsecure, I just open up a port and forward to ps3. It's always good to get the full range for each game. As for strat, I personally am on the infancy stage of that, but I wouldn't care if another team member was barking commands.

I think everyone needs to turn the mic settings to 10 (11!) and you can hear each other way way better. Me and Warcack were having our discussions and laughing all the way, much like our BF2 days.

I too am looking into passive skills, since I'm not that great with combat, but much better as a scout, shield whore, and CQCer.

Flo_Evans

Assault rifle 3 make a pretty huge difference with muzzle crawl and reload time. IDK if its worth it though. You can get the front grip with most rifles that makes them easier to aim steady and I have taken to doing a quick swap to the pistol if I empty a clip and don't kill someone. Most of the time they will run around the corner and try and reload, just chase them down pistol blazing. :D

Flo_Evans

WasabiKing said:
DMZ is too lazy and unsecure, I just open up a port and forward to ps3. It's always good to get the full range for each game. As for strat, I personally am on the infancy stage of that, but I wouldn't care if another team member was barking commands.

I think everyone needs to turn the mic settings to 10 (11!) and you can hear each other way way better. Me and Warcack were having our discussions and laughing all the way, much like our BF2 days.

I too am looking into passive skills, since I'm not that great with combat, but much better as a scout, shield whore, and CQCer.

Well I am lazy and insecure :p

It's port 5730 if you just want to forward that. It just seems almost every PS3 online game needs a diffrent port so I just let it be DMZ.

Nozdeuce

WasabiKing said:
You always seemed to sneak out of nowhere for a hold just at the right time last night.

Also default MGO port is 5730, its listed under Network Settings.

Teknoman

Flo_Evans said:

edit: its port 5730. Should be forwarded to your PS3's IP address.

Good then its not just me. I think other people just need to crank up the volume they put through in game and in XMB.

Nozdeuce

So there's a few clan members with 0 time played, one with 1 and a half minutes played. If they don't hit an hour or level 1 by saturday they're totally getting booted.

Which night was the old GAF Resistance night? A few people have mentioned we should do a GAF night for MGO. At various points last night we were able to support 2 entire servers. Presumably more people will be joining/getting into MGO moving forward beyond MGS4 singleplayer. What's everyone think? 1 night a week? There's 3 clans (though Frog is new and pretty empty for now) would 3 nights a week be better? This would be the official MGO night, as opposed to the on the fly NeoGAF server's we've been doing on a daily and nightly basis.

What does everyone think about clan scrims? The NeoGAF clan has quite a few very active members, with a bunch with well over 12 hours playtime. We'd only need a minimum of 6 members per team, which shouldn't be too hard to round up hopefully. The impromptu Neogaf vs FoxUnit game was really fun last night. If we're going to be doing scrims, are people interested in having organized practice sessions or creating designated teams?

thoughts?

Flo_Evans

Nozdeuce said:
So there's a few clan members with 0 time played, one with 1 and a half minutes played. If they don't hit an hour or level 1 by saturday they're totally getting booted.

Which night was the old GAF Resistance night? A few people have mentioned we should do a GAF night for MGO. At various points last night we were able to support 2 entire servers. Presumably more people will be joining/getting into MGO moving forward beyond MGS4 singleplayer. What's everyone think? 1 night a week? There's 3 clans (though Frog is new and pretty empty for now) would 3 nights a week be better? This would be the official MGO night, as opposed to the on the fly NeoGAF server's we've been doing on a daily and nightly basis.

What does everyone think about clan scrims? The NeoGAF clan has quite a few very active members, with a bunch with well over 12 hours playtime. We'd only need a minimum of 6 members per team, which shouldn't be too hard to round up hopefully. The impromptu Neogaf vs FoxUnit game was really fun last night. If we're going to be doing scrims, are people interested in having organized practice sessions or creating designated teams?

thoughts?

Sounds good to me! I was thinking last night, after everyone gets some good playtime in we could make an "elite" gaf clan for the people that want to be competitive and face off against other clans. Then maybe make just the "NeoGAF" one more for casual social play? Or maybe with 64 players on each clan there will be an "elite" squad in each?

I think as we get better and play more people will emerge in specific roles they like. We definitely need a sniper, a SOP hacker (this is sooo bad ass to do to the other team!), and some runners? I like assault rifles and kind of a generic solider that can do anything, but if we need a specific job for any given night I'm down to change my play style around.

Nozdeuce

Flo_Evans said:
Sounds good to me! I was thinking last night, after everyone gets some good playtime in we could make an "elite" gaf clan for the people that want to be competitive and face off against other clans. Then maybe make just the "NeoGAF" one more for casual social play? Or maybe with 64 players on each clan there will be an "elite" squad in each?

I think as we get better and play more people will emerge in specific roles they like. We definitely need a sniper, a SOP hacker (this is sooo bad ass to do to the other team!), and some runners? I like assault rifles and kind of a generic solider that can do anything, but if we need a specific job for any given night I'm down to change my play style around.
If anything the OG NeoGAF is the hardest core of the 3. Highest ranked for activeness #2 overall, home to most of the clanned up currently active anti-Kojipro beta team.

I think each clan, or at least both Neogaf and FoxUnit (sorry Frog <3) should be able to support a designated elite team. Being such a small community a few players are already showing up a lot as #1 round to round.

Discussion of various roles is good, but I think we can wait on that for a bit.

Again, as I've stated a few times already I do really like the idea of bringing all the most active/competitive Gaf members into the NeoGAF clan. The advantages of shuffling people around would primarily be leaderboard based but also when it comes to official clan matches and possible tournaments/Kojipro stuff. But each clan should be able to field a really good team as is.

dork said:
Yes to all of the above

I missed out on gaf vs gaf last night...:( rude
It was really spur of the moment, while zoning out before the round started I noticed there were 6 of the two emblems :lol

So which would be good nights for official MGO action? Maybe also have an official scrim night?

Flo_Evans

Nozdeuce said:
So what which would be good nights for official MGO action? Maybe also have an official scrim night?

Well personally mondays and thursdays are best for early evening (GF works late :D ) Pretty much anytime after 11CST she is in bed though. I've tried to explain "clan nights" and raids on various other online games but she doesn't seem to get it. Or she just doesn't like it, IDK. I might have to take tonight off as she is getting pretty pissed at sleeping alone. :lol I am FAR from the best players in the clan though so don't mind me.

peetfeet

After i finished some games just now i noticed back in the MGO menu system next to my name at the top right (ish) of the screen theres a ICON of a SOLDIER saluting with a big red '!' by it, wtf does this mean???? Anybody?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
peetfeet said:
After i finished some games just now i noticed back in the MGO menu system next to my name at the top right (ish) of the screen theres a ICON of a SOLDIER saluting with a big red '!' by it, wtf does this mean???? Anybody?
It's the notification for who's left/entered.

I go into the office pretty early so I'm never on really late on weekday nights, but if it was one night a week I could make an exception. Usually I'll be on in the time frame of 6PM -12AM EST on weekdays and then I could make whatever time we need free on the weekends as long as I know in advance. I think everyone here knows I'm a sniper.

Teknoman

What sucks is that sometimes I have really off nights. One day I was CQC'ing people left and right and scoring headshots after slamming them, protecting a base all on my own while waiting for team mates to back me up. The next, I cant even make it out of my spawn spot. Dunno if thats indicative of my skill though...seems like the other side had some great positions set up after my first death.

Nozdeuce

For NA-GAF MGO Night (stolen from Kaching)

Best day of the week for you to play?
Best time on that day (be sure to indicate time zone)?
How long can you generally play in one session?
How regularly do you expect to join?
Are there any days you absolutely can't play?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Nozdeuce said:

Saturday/Sunday
Afternoon - Evening (PDT)
Several hours
Pretty regularly in June/July, probably won't be online after that.
No

Whats the pass for your server flo?

todahawk

Teknoman said:
What sucks is that sometimes I have really off nights. One day I was CQC'ing people left and right and scoring headshots after slamming them, protecting a base all on my own while waiting for team mates to back me up. The next, I cant even make it out of my spawn spot. Dunno if thats indicative of my skill though...seems like the other side had some great positions set up after my first death.

ok, so it's not only me. that was last night. I was about destroy my TV, ps3, copy of mgs4 and my controller. And i'm not the type to usually get pissed about how i perform. I thought about quiting but checked to see if any gaffers were on, joined in and then finished the night with a couple of good matches and one where i protected a base all by myself.

the gaming gods are fickle

Sallokin

Best day of the week for you to play? Monday - Saturday
Best time on that day (be sure to indicate time zone)? 4:30 - 8:30 MST
How long can you generally play in one session? 2 Hours +
How regularly do you expect to join? As often as there are game nights
Are there any days you absolutely can't play? Sunday

todahawk

Nozdeuce said:

great idea noz! (even if stolen)

Friday or Saturday night (no work next morning)
10PM-2AM EST
2-4 hours
regularly
nope

dork

Banned
i work retail, and i work nights. So I don't have a set schedule, it changes every week.

but im usually home by 930central

wednesday nights is the only day i can't

but you know i'm always up to play with you guys:D. And I look forward to this getting setup

if im working that night, id be glad to run a dedicated btw

Top Bottom