• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Ilparazzo

Dunpeal my friend! You were finally accepted into the forums? Welcome! Let's show those other guys the power of GAF, just hope my aim gets better :p

Also I guess I might be too addicted to the game I just realised I have a footy match tomorrow and it's 2 AM damn I wish I wasn't the goalkeeper.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
DunpealD said:
Agreed it was a great experience and the team style needs at least trust, reliability and skill to back your partner up. Of course you also need some kind of harmony(e.g. being able to foresee what your partner does) to do it, but it's worth it.
It really felt like the Meryl + Johnny scene :lol
I usually just try to bludgeon, especially on base capture mode. When I'm playing well and really placing my shots where I want them I can hold off a forward/middle/contested point solo right at the start.

DunpealD

Ilparazzo said:
Dunpeal my friend! You were finally accepted into the forums? Welcome! Let's show those other guys the power of GAF, just hope my aim gets better :p

Also I guess I might be too addicted to the game I just realised I have a footy match tomorrow and it's 2 AM damn I wish I wasn't the goalkeeper.

Sure, ready when you are. I got accepted 2 months ago, btw. your aiming isn't that bad at all, at least you got kicked because you were too good :lol Good luck at your match.

Nozdeuce said:
I usually just try to bludgeon, especially on base capture mode. When I'm playing well and really placing my shots where I want them I can hold off a forward/middle/contested point solo right at the start.

That's for sure, but the capabilities of one individual has it's limits while having a reliable partner breaks some of those limits(e.g. reload time, an ambush or protection by using the shield).

Konami should really try to abolish the region lock. It'd be really interesting to see how US GAF is playing MGO. A US GAF vs. EU GAF would also be very interesting.

The weirdest thing that happened to me in this one game was when I was teleported from one side of the map into the CQC grab of someone on the complete opposite of where I was.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
DunpealD said:
That's for sure, but the capabilities of one individual has it's limits while having a reliable partner breaks some of those limits(e.g. reload time, an ambush or protection by using the shield).
I fully agree, all the more reason to jam up as many as the other team as possible to the rest of mine can sweep forward :lol I do do the teamwork thing as much as possible though, I'm a nice guy.

Linkzg said:
The weirdest thing that happened to me in this one game was when I was teleported from one side of the map into the CQC grab of someone on the complete opposite of where I was.
Cheater. There really are a bunch of weird glitches in MGO. Also, way to snipe my face :(

todahawk

Flo_Evans said:
Who wants to play? I made a server on Rosemary... Kill me if you can mofos

i'll be on in a sec! (g_jerk) you think i'd keep the same damn name :(

i'm on rosemary but not seeing a neogaf game.... anyone??? (i'm nat3 for the moment and can't host)

Baker

Banned
Yo,

I don't know how this is set up, but I'd like to get in on one of the clans.

Gaf: Baker
PSN: Forensick
MGO: Forensick
Zone: Central US

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Baker said:
Yo,

I don't know how this is set up, but I'd like to get in on one of the clans.

Gaf: Baker
PSN: Forensick
MGO: Forensick
Zone: Central US
Go to the clan menu and do a clan search for gaf. Select the NeoGAF:FrogUnit clan and request an invite.

1stStrike

Banned
Anyone else kind of feel that it's a bit clunky online? Roll the wrong way and you're stuck on a wall off screen, can't see yourself and can't move. It's also damn impossible to shoot people in first person mode..you can't keep up with em as your character pans slow as fuck.

It works great in offline mode cause I can take my time and line up my shot..but in the faster paced gameplay online things just don't work as well.

Oh and, when the fuck does anything level up? I'm still lvl 0 with everything at lvl 1 and even with all the games I've played, nothing has leveled. And I don't see any way to check my progress.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
1stStrike said:
Anyone else kind of feel that it's a bit clunky online? Roll the wrong way and you're stuck on a wall off screen, can't see yourself and can't move. It's also damn impossible to shoot people in first person mode..you can't keep up with em as your character pans slow as fuck.

It works great in offline mode cause I can take my time and line up my shot..but in the faster paced gameplay online things just don't work as well.

Oh and, when the fuck does anything level up? I'm still lvl 0 with everything at lvl 1 and even with all the games I've played, nothing has leveled. And I don't see any way to check my progress.
Try going into third person instead of panning and try using the E locater grenades to get a better sense of where your enemy is. Also open up the camera options and boost up the speed for all the cameras (Third person and Over the Shoulder to at least 7; First person to 10).

You can check your stats at MGO Community Site or in game under personal stats.

You level up your character by playing more and getting better (don't know what else to say : P). You level up your skills by equipping them and using them. Some skills require you to do specific things to increase them (Runner needs you to run at full speed to level it up, the "weapon"+ gains points every time you have a successful shot against an enemy [more points if you kill them] using the same type of weapon that's in the "weapon" part of "weapon"+ [assault rifles need assault rifle+, snipers needs sniper+, etc.], Quarterback needs you throw grenades, etc.). The mid far left side of the screen shows you what skills you currently have equipped, if it's bright yellow you have the potential to increase their points (you still need to do whatever the skill requires), if it's grayed out, you don't meet the criteria to gain points (can't gain points for Knife+ when you have a assault rifle equipped). If it has a star next to the level number, you have enough points for the next level. You need to equip the level 2 version of a skill if you want get points towards level 3 (not 100% sure on this, but it seems to be the case). You can check your skill progress by going into the personal menu and selecting skill. The red bar represents your points, the line 2/3's into the bar represents level 2, and the end of the bar represents level 3.

1stStrike

Banned
Killthee said:
Try going into third person instead of panning and try using the E locater grenades to get a better sense of where your enemy is. Also open up the camera options and boost up the speed for all the cameras (Third person and Over the Shoulder to at least 7; First person to 10).

You can check your stats at MGO Community Site or in game under personal stats.

You level up your character by playing more and getting better (don't know what else to say : P). You level up your skills by equipping them and using them. Some skills require you to do specific things to increase them (Runner needs you to run at full speed to level it up, the "weapon"+ gains points every time you have a successful shot against an enemy [more points if you kill them] using the same type of weapon that's in the "weapon" part of "weapon"+ [assault rifles need assault rifle+, snipers needs sniper+, etc.], Quarterback needs you throw grenades, etc.). The mid far left side of the screen shows you what skills you currently have equipped, if it's bright yellow you have the potential to increase their points (you still need to do whatever the skill requires), if it's grayed out, you don't meet the criteria to gain points (can't gain points for Knife+ when you have a assault rifle equipped). If it has a star next to the level number, you have enough points for the next level. You need to equip the level 2 version of a skill if you want get points towards level 3 (not 100% sure on this, but it seems to be the case). You can check your skill progress by going into the personal menu and selecting skill. The red bar represents your points, the line 2/3's into the bar represents level 2, and the end of the bar represents level 3.

Thanks. that helps a bit. My other grip is; full sneaking games when you're playing as snake on a small map. Too many people around. Half the time I spawn and there's 5 people all around me so I really have no chance.

I think some of the maps need to be a bit more open for some game modes.

Ilparazzo

I made a dedicated Neogaf room in the rosemary server for anyone who wishes to go there and have fun, it doesn't have a PW and remember I don't know how well it will hold up but it should be fine if there's a problem warn me here and I might be still around to fix it.

I'm European BTW

Hey guyz, I'm back. I have an Imported copy so I'm an Euro on the US Fox clan, but I made a few games and didn't lag much so that's ok ;) I still haven't finished single player so I won't be playing much online but after I finish it I'll be hooked to it 24/7.

Btw, any other Euros on the US clan?

1stStrike

Banned
I just played the same map 7 times because everytime we got to the 3rd or 4th round the server would reset due to a new host... ><

There's a lot of little quirks that irritate me. It's fun for a couple hours, but then I need to put it down and step away for a bit before I go hulk smash my coffee table.

Ephemeris

Had some really good games with Fox Unit members these past couple of nights. It's interesting to note that whenever we're all on a team, we never lose :D

Well unless there's a team of Foxes going up against my Snake in Sneaking Missions. :lol

Speaking of which, I can't get enough of that mode. It's like playing Single Player but against a CRAZY SUPER ADAPTING AI. Nothing beats using the wall-knock to lure unsuspecting players then holding them up, though. ;) Granted, my win ratio is under 50% playing as Snake (Currently 24/55); Still love it.

Btw, has anyone got an award after receiving the Eagle?

NIN90

Does anybody think that lvl3 blades are rather pointless? CQC and slitting throats is really slow. I rather have lvl 1 blades and stab 'em to hell!

roxya

I'm having really bad connection problems. I lowered my upload speed as I had to in the beta (but my line is 832kbps up, while the default is 256...). 128Kbps kept me online for 2 rounds before I lost it again. gahhhhhhhh

test_account

XP-39C²
FabCam said:
How do you get the animal pictures next to your name in the lobby menu? They're yellow silhouettes.
You must accomplish different tasks. All the tasks are listed in the first post in this thread :)

Speaking of these tasks, does anyone have a more detailed list over what you have to do to achieve them? I have made something like 1016 headshots or something and i still havnt havnt gotten the Headshot Master thingie.

todahawk

tons of fun last night, thx to whoever setup the room.
I'm really starting to like base & rescue a LOT. i love objective based.

Finally got to play as snake (2x) last night. First time was a total disaster. Second time I found a good hiding spot on UU and had two tags before I got nailed grabbing my third (greedy!), had to start over and didn't have near enough time. Gotta be patient and reallly now the maps/good hiding spots.

was playing rescue (???) with just me and Flo when the server just started up and the server had ghost pranks on. Hilarious!

Does anyone know if upping CQC ups your grab range? I seem to get snagged from a mile away. Plus i read higher CQC can help you get out of holds, which i seem to find myself in a lot. Is there a medal for that one? I've managed to avoid sloth.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Was on the Euro Gaf server today and an entire freaking clan dropped in (was only me and one other Gaffer in there) and proceeded to imbalance the teams and make things totally unfun.

Boo :(

Ephemeris

FOX is just about full, give or take 3 slots. About half its members seem to be casual at best though. And I'm certain at least 10 people in the roster aren't from GAF :lol

Indeed

McBradders said:
Was on the Euro Gaf server today and an entire freaking clan dropped in (was only me and one other Gaffer in there) and proceeded to imbalance the teams and make things totally unfun.

Boo :(

What about our password?

Ilparazzo

Indeed said:
What about our password?

I'm finally back, I didn't set up a password because I thought since usually much of the eurogaf clan isn't present this would liven things up a bit.

Was the room working well lagwise? I wasn't sure my connection could pull it off.
Anyways since I finally got home after the footy match (which we lost :p ) I have the urge to play MGO, I'll keep the room there for you guys so join up in a while and let's play!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ilparazzo said:
I'm finally back, I didn't set up a password because I thought since usually much of the eurogaf clan isn't present this would liven things up a bit.

Was the room working well lagwise? I wasn't sure my connection could pull it off.
Anyways since I finally got home after the footy match (which we lost :p ) I have the urge to play MGO, I'll keep the room there for you guys so join up in a while and let's play!

The room was great, zero lag for me apart from once, but my connection has been janky at times the past couple days.

1stStrike

Banned
Ephemeris said:
FOX is just about full, give or take 3 slots. About half its members seem to be casual at best though. And I'm certain at least 10 people in the roster aren't from GAF :lol

I'm working on it. It might be more fun for me when I start playing with gaffers and get my new mic (dog ate my other one). I keep finding it too random on public servers. I hate when things are unbalanced either for my side or the other side..cause then it's either too easy or too hard. And neither are fun.

Also, I was being choked the fuck out last night and not one but three members of my team were about 10 feet away within sight and none helped me..and I had no way of communicating with them. I was just like...*sad face* D:

On most servers I've been on so far like..3 people at best have mics and they're usually turned off.

Oh and, I carry a sniper rifle almost 100% of the time. I am a sniper, nothing else.

Ephemeris

1stStrike said:
Also, I was being choked the fuck out last night and not one but three members of my team were about 10 feet away within sight and none helped me..and I had no way of communicating with them. I was just like...*sad face* D:

SOP for the win. And if you had it activated and this still happened, then they failed you my friend.

Flo_Evans

lunlunqq said:
thanks a lot, Flo, for kicking that Ahole. didn't know what was his problem...

Yeah me neither. I was walking from the spawn point and he kept throwing me down saying "stop following me!" I was like WTF? :lol

I guess we need to start password protecting all the games but it seems to take forever to get going when you start it like that.

Facism

Dunpeal are you joining the Bee unit?

That little skirmish with Stun nades and shyte behind the dumpster in G.G a few nights ago was :lol

I've been contemplating using the P90. large clip + aim for head seems like an almost gauranteed headshot.

jett

D-Member
Well now that I'm done with MGS4, it's time to return to MGO! Too bad I can't play with eurogaf anymore, as I have a US PS3/MGS4, though(region locking is some serious fail...) :p Guess I'll be joining the fox unit.

jett said:
Well now that I'm done with MGS4, it's time to return to MGO! Too bad I can't play with eurogaf anymore, as I have a US PS3/MGS4, though(region locking is some serious fail...) :p Guess I'll be joining the fox unit.

Same as me then. You're playing from Europe too right?

I made a couple of matches and the lag wasn't bad at all. Extremely playable.

1stStrike

Banned
what the hell does, "Cannot create game with the current network environment" mean? I've been trying to setup a server to no avail =\

Also..would you recommend I keep cqc over sniper rifle lvl 2? I prefer sniping over close encounters, but cqc does have its uses. Though, I rarely get to use it as when I get close to someone it's a tumbling match until he or I fucks up or someone comes around the corner and headshots me.

Volcynika

1stStrike said:

I'll 1up that! I was being choked, and two teammates ran RIGHT BESIDE ME and didn't kill the guy choking me.

Top Bottom