• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Ephemeris said:
You take her. She was badmouthing FOX earlier >_>
Works for me, get her to apply.

Edit: Sooo anyone gonna be down for some Post-Maintenance MGO?
whenever that is

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm on every night but that's Asia time, so it's like early morning for you guys. Though on the weekends we should be synched. (synced?)

I think whenever I'm not seeing you guys I'll just join base games. I had been exclusively deathmatch, earning 5-20 points a game, but 3 base games had given me over 500 points!

I was getting frustrated for awhile, but sticking with it has paid off. My overall k/d ratio is like 600/800, but checking my weekly stats I'm around 100/90, so either I'm improving or just playing lesser competition. :D

I feel like all of this right now is just training and prep for a tournament, and I can't wait.

Nozdeuce

AkuMifune said:
I'm on every night but that's Asia time, so it's like early morning for you guys. Though on the weekends we should be synched. (synced?)

I think whenever I'm not seeing you guys I'll just join base games. I had been exclusively deathmatch, earning 5-20 points a game, but 3 base games had given me over 500 points!

I was getting frustrated for awhile, but sticking with it has paid off. My overall k/d ratio is like 600/800, but checking my weekly stats I'm around 100/90, so either I'm improving or just playing lesser competition. :D

I feel like all of this right now is just training and prep for a tournament, and I can't wait.
Yeah sometimes I run into you late at night.

Also deathmatch is by far the worst MGO mode. It might be okay with like 6 or 8 people, but usually it's way too spammy with someone always hiding around the next corner or directly behind you.

AkuMifune

Banned
Player level is determined by your ratio of time played vs total points, right? And is only a gauge of how "skilled" you are? (clearly different game types offer more or less points)

Does it affect your character in any way, and can it go down?

SumGamer

AkuMifune said:
Player level is determined by your ratio of time played vs total points, right? And is only a gauge of how "skilled" you are? (clearly different game types offer more or less points)

I always thought it purely based on points. I have 29xx points and still at level 3.

Nozdeuce

AkuMifune said:

Your level can go down, I went from 4 -> 5 -> 4 in the last week.

SumGamer said:
I always thought it purely based on points. I have 29xx points and still at level 3.
It has to be some form of ratio/time based for you do lose a level.

AkuMifune

Banned
SumGamer said:

I just realized last night it couldn't be, because I played a level 6 guy who had 5200 (ish) points and only played 15 hours. And I see from the Clan listing people with more time, more points, better ratios and still level 3.

SumGamer

AkuMifune said:
I just realized last night it couldn't be, because I played a level 6 guy who had 5200 (ish) points and only played 15 hours. And I see from the Clan listing people with more time, more points, better ratios and still level 3.

That make senses but still me and my mate both got to level 2 at 500 points and level 3 at 1000 points though. Plus, what would happen if a clan leader suddenly play like crap and leveling down to 2? Unless 3 is the least possible level for leveling down.

Nozdeuce

SumGamer said:
That make senses but still me and my mate both got to level 2 at 500 points and level 3 at 1000 points though. Plus, what would happen if a clan leader suddenly play like crap and leveling down to 2? Unless 3 is the least possible level for leveling down.
The clan leader thing is a non-issue, I've transferred leadership of Neogaf, Foxunit and Frogunit to people who didn't meet the reqs to create a clan themselves.

MGO leveling system makes no sense. That is the consensus everywhere I've looked. However, if you play against lower ranked players and lose, your rank goes down, play against higher level player and... etc. I can't get above level 5 no matter what. Maybe it takes into account the skills you have leveled? Playing time? K/D ratio? How many hotdogs you have eaten the week prior?

We should totally start a rivalry between the NeoGAF clans in MGO. It would be like our own personal war economy.

I'd also be totally down with helping organizing some GAF tournaments, too. Not enough people play seriously in the auto matchmaking servers.

1stStrike

Banned
First thing we need to do is get more of the same people to play together so we can establish some balanced teams. People that are comftorable playing with each other. Also, everyone needs to have a mic. Trying to type shit out is just not viable in a live match.

Second, once we get some teams established, we need to regularly play against one another so we can all continue improving our skills. I may be good at sniping, but I need a lot of work in close combat (I basically need to hang way back and support you from a distance or have someone covering me up close right now).

Thirdly, we need to get more active people..maybe this goes with the first though. If people don't login for a week or two without posting anything here or contacting anyone to say, "Hey I'm gonna be gone for such and such time but I'll be back" then we'll have to start kicking people to make room for people that will be active.

Also, we should establish some dedicated playing times during the weekends. We're all over the place right now..time to organize!

As some incentive, I think the top team in a gaf tournament could get some prizes. I'd be willing to fork out some money to help sponser the prizes.

The question is..how big do we want the teams to be? 3 people? 4 people? 8 people?

Also, I have my ups and downs. My kill to death ratio really isn't that great (more deaths than kills by about 100 or so) but I've been in the top 3 on many occasions..it's just, as a sniper hanging back, I don't always get the opportunity to get kills. It also gets especially brutal when I'm up against another sniper (hi metal :p) and we're going back and forth.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
x3tugg.jpg

X_X

DDC has 15 members...

Teknoman

I'll be online tomorrow for sure. Also I still say there are a ton of PMCs waiting to be "recruited" from the main topic :lol

EDIT: The hell? We dropped? Im gonna be online a good deal of tomorrow then.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yeah, but I've seen members of other clans set up a room as the host, become a spectator, and leave the room going all the time, overnight, etc...only jumping in when they are home. That's really unfair.

Also, is it possible the rank has to do with some ratio of the amount of members vs time played? If so, we need to setup a minimum amount of play time per week for the Clan or you're out, or something.

Teknoman

AkuMifune said:
Yeah, but I've seen members of other clans set up a room as the host, become a spectator, and leave the room going all the time, overnight, etc...only jumping in when they are home. That's really unfair.

Also, is it possible the rank has to do with some ratio of the amount of members vs time played? If so, we need to setup a minimum amount of play time per week for the Clan or you're out, or something.

Wow so the equivalent of boosting in the MGO world? Konami really needs to change the way Clans are rated then. Never thought about them doing something like that...

Zyzyxxz

AkuMifune said:

or send the less active players to Frogunit which has only 26 members at the moment.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AkuMifune said:

Check out their stats.

#1 [F.$.U]
2utoks3.jpg

#2 Silent Shadow
14tuckx.jpg

#3 D.D.C.
2qch0yp.jpg

#4 GAF
e7fq02.jpg

I doubt they're ranking up by leaving the game on as spectators.

1stStrike

Banned
We just don't have enough active players, simple as that. Everyday I see 4 people on in foxunit tops out of 62 members. What the fuck?

Get your act together and play, or get the fuck out and make room for others that actually want to play. Simple as that.

Edit: Also, dibs on jason for my teammate :O

Though, I tend to forget I have a mic on sometimes so you might have to listen to my squeels of excitement when I repeatedly headshot noz :p

ChryZ

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread too closely. I'm slowly getting into MGO and would like to join a GAF clan sooner or later:

-Are there any EU centric units?
-What are the requirements to join or at which Lv would it make sense to join?

My character is still such a small fry, so I don't want to be a burden or cannon fodder ^_^;

1stStrike

Banned
ChryZ said:
Sorry, I haven't followed this thread too closely. I'm slowly getting into MGO and would like to join a GAF clan sooner or later:

My character is still such a small fry, so I don't want to be a burden or cannon fodder ^_^;

Beeunit is the euro clan I believe (or is it frogunit? I can't keep up).

There's really no requirements other than you be a member of GAF..and even if you're not that great..well that's why we play together. So we can all improve. Like I said, I suck at cqc so I always get raped when noz gets all up in my face D:

ChryZ said:

All you got to do is search for NeoGAF on the Clan page in MGO and apply. Our clan leader, Seiken, has a messed up disc and he'll approve all applications as soon as he get a new copy. If we reach the 64 member limit or Seiken is unable to get a new copy soon, I'll make a new clan and invite the rest. During the last few days we have gone from 85 to 56 on the clan ranking chart. If we are able to fill all 64 slots, the top 10 should be within our grasp.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Gonna be on a whole bunch this weekend, BeeUnit, so... yeah ¬_¬

Sorry, week evenings are a no-go for me until I can buy another HD TV to play on :(

1stStrike

Banned
Gaaah I wanna play. I hate being stuck at work. I can surf neogaf for 8 hours and read about everything that's going on..but I can't play anything D:

I'm torn between MGO and getting all the badges in MGS4. I -really- want to get them all so I can get the snake eater song. It's not really about getting the song though..it's the accomplishment that matters. Cause, I can always just play the song off my PC while I'm playing the game anyway (Got my PC hooked to my tv as well)

McBradders said:
Gonna be on a whole bunch this weekend, BeeUnit, so... yeah ¬_¬

Sorry, week evenings are a no-go for me until I can buy another HD TV to play on :(

D:

I just got this:

423.jpg

Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP 61"

It's absofuckinglutely amazing.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ilparazzo said:
Yes it was, let's do it again
and bring more swear words with you :p

Damn, I need to be more in your team and not against you. Your headshots are killing me, literally. :lol

McBradders

1stStrike said:
Gaaah I wanna play. I hate being stuck at work. I can surf neogaf for 8 hours and read about everything that's going on..but I can't play anything D:

I'm torn between MGO and getting all the badges in MGS4. I -really- want to get them all so I can get the snake eater song. It's not really about getting the song though..it's the accomplishment that matters. Cause, I can always just play the song off my PC while I'm playing the game anyway (Got my PC hooked to my tv as well)

D:

I just got this:

423.jpg

Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP 61"

It's absofuckinglutely amazing.

I has a Samsung! It is great, but it's our lounge TV and the girlfriend sure likes to watch shitty TV and when she does I have to play on the PC so I want to pick up a 19"-22" smaller HD set so that we can either both play on different systems or I can play while she's watching TV.

Ilparazzo

kamorra said:
Damn, I need to be more in your team and not against you. Your headshots are killing me, literally. :lol

You also kicked my rear a lot, playing with Gaffers changes the experience completly, just wished there were more of us yesterday :p

I especially liked the part where Alba wasted a whole magazine of his rifle, pistol and even some grenades while I was rolling on the ground and then ended up dead, it made me feel awesome :p

What I don't get kamorra is, are you trying to max your weapon skills? Because it's a little strange that you would change weapon types in the middle of a game, from assault rifles to sniper rifles. I mean since yesterday I only need to max my handgun and shotgun skills but I don't think it will be worth it.

1stStrike

Banned
McBradders said:
I has a Samsung! It is great, but it's our lounge TV and the girlfriend sure likes to watch shitty TV and when she does I have to play on the PC so I want to pick up a 19"-22" smaller HD set so that we can either both play on different systems or I can play while she's watching TV.

What?! The tv is the domain of man. No woman should hold you back from MGO in all its high def glory.

A. Buy her a smaller tv so she can watch her crappy shows without interfering with your MGO time
B. Get a new girlfriend
C. Wimper at the thought of defying her
D. Change your sleep schedule so you get the tv when she doesn't.

:p

McBradders

1stStrike said:
What?! The tv is the domain of man. No woman should hold you back from MGO in all its high def glory.

A. Buy her a smaller tv so she can watch her crappy shows without interfering with your MGO time
B. Get a new girlfriend
C. Wimper at the thought of defying her
D. Change your sleep schedule so you get the tv when she doesn't.

:p

She has domain over the vagina which trumps all else :/

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ilparazzo said:
What I don't get kamorra is, are you trying to max your weapon skills? Because it's a little strange that you would change weapon types in the middle of a game, from assault rifles to sniper rifles. I mean since yesterday I only need to max my handgun and shotgun skills but I don't think it will be worth it.

Yes, my Assault Rifle is almost maxed out and I tried to level up the Sniper Rifle a bit. In the middle east map and on Grozny Grad I don't feel good with the Assault Rifle so I tried to switch.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
1stStrike said:

After 8 years with the same girl I've learned that nothing is my domain. Even the things I'm sure of. :lol

Ilparazzo

kamorra said:
Yes, my Assault Rifle is almost maxed out and I tried to level up the Sniper Rifle a bit. In the middle east map and on Grozny Grad I don't feel good with the Assault Rifle so I tried to switch.

In grozny the M14 becomes god in my opinion since it allows you to be good at both mid range and long range, especially with people like that Pahn guy who only spent his time sniping.

1stStrike

Banned
Ilparazzo said:
In grozny the M14 becomes god in my opinion since it allows you to be good at both mid range and long range, especially with people like that Pahn guy who only spent his time sniping.

The automatic sniper rifle in grozny = god. Not only can I fuck you up from a distance, but once you get close I just unload on you (and the laser sight makes it even more of a wtfhackz kind of gun).

Ilparazzo

1stStrike said:
The automatic sniper rifle in grozny = god. Not only can I fuck you up from a distance, but once you get close I just unload on you (and the laser sight makes it even more of a wtfhackz kind of gun).

That's why I can't get my sniper skill up without it, I'm a up close and personal man and I can't snipe for shit. But I want to raise as many skills as possible (without killing my ratio of course).

1stStrike

Banned
Ilparazzo said:
That's why I can't get my sniper skill up without it, I'm a up close and personal man and I can't snipe for shit. But I want to raise as many skills as possible (without killing my ratio of course).

I should take some videos of me playing. I'm not the greatest sniper ever, but I certainly don't suck either. I mean, in every online game I've ever played with a sniper rifle, that's the only role I play :p

It's more tactics than anything else. A sniper running around in the open is at a disadvantage against someone (usually) with an assault rifle.

So, you need to be sneaky and set traps, find places to hide, etc. The best trap I had setup today in MGO was with jason, noz and pho3nix.

Jason was in the center (on the desert map) and was walking up the road while noz and pho3nix were coming up around and behind him. I was in the back alley and as they went to go around the corner, I took em out. It was pretty gratifying.

Ilparazzo

1stStrike said:
I should take some videos of me playing. I'm not the greatest sniper ever, but I certainly don't suck either. I mean, in every online game I've ever played with a sniper rifle, that's the only role I play :p

It's more tactics than anything else. A sniper running around in the open is at a disadvantage against someone (usually) with an assault rifle.

So, you need to be sneaky and set traps, find places to hide, etc. The best trap I had setup today in MGO was with jason, noz and pho3nix.

Jason was in the center (on the desert map) and was walking up the road while noz and pho3nix were coming up around and behind him. I was in the back alley and as they went to go around the corner, I took em out. It was pretty gratifying.

The only problem with my using that kind of thing is that it requires actually being able to hit someone from a distance :p

Especially my FP view skills are quite lacking and I can hardly hit a moving target.

1stStrike

Banned
Ilparazzo said:
The only problem with my using that kind of thing is that it requires actually being able to hit someone from a distance :p

Especially my FP view skills are quite lacking and I can hardly hit a moving target.

Adjust your sensitivity level? It takes a bit of practice. You adapt over time. I still have some problems hitting people that jump all over the place just cause of the analog stick sometimes though. It can be hard keeping up (my sensitivity on all levels is 10).

If I had a mouse though...well, you guys don't want that XD

Ilparazzo

1stStrike said:
Adjust your sensitivity level? It takes a bit of practice. You adapt over time. I still have some problems hitting people that jump all over the place just cause of the analog stick sometimes though. It can be hard keeping up (my sensitivity on all levels is 10).

If I had a mouse though...well, you guys don't want that XD

I already ajusted my sensitivity levels like a thousand times, ended up in all 10s as well.

If it was up to me I would get you a mouse, sounds like only nozdeuce would end up getting pissed about all the ass kicking :p

Shame we can't play with you NA guys...

Ephemeris

stephendedalus said:
MGO leveling system makes no sense. That is the consensus everywhere I've looked. However, if you play against lower ranked players and lose, your rank goes down, play against higher level player and... etc. I can't get above level 5 no matter what. Maybe it takes into account the skills you have leveled? Playing time? K/D ratio? How many hotdogs you have eaten the week prior?

I got to level 6, started training my then level 0 friend and got bumped down to 5. :/

BlockBastard said:
We should totally start a rivalry between the NeoGAF clans in MGO. It would be like our own personal war economy.

I'd also be totally down with helping organizing some GAF tournaments, too. Not enough people play seriously in the auto matchmaking servers.

I also think this would be fun. :D

1stStrike said:

So, you need to be sneaky and set traps, find places to hide, etc. The best trap I had setup today in MGO was with jason, noz and pho3nix..

Being bait was fun. :lol We did make a really good team. But on the activeness-note, we (FOX) do have about 20 members that haven't made 100 kills as of yet; infact 5 of those members haven't even made 10 kills. Granted, we're still 14th - and I don't want to boot anyone - but forgive me if I miss the days when GAF had two clans in the top ten with a third on the way :p

Nozdeuce

Would Killthee, or someone else be willing to post Killthee's clan rankings updates in the real thread over in gaming everyday/time?

I kicked everyone who had 0 playtime. My one problem with kicking less active people is a lot of them are the super active people from the beta that know what MGO is all about, and so are enjoying spending time with MGS4. That and I don't really think it's a good idea to punish people who buy/play everything
Dork with alone in the dark, Tekno with Diablo 2 :p

I'm fine with having an organized GAF plays night, but so far the only people who have actually responded to me earlier are the regulars, and they said Saturday night. I'd be fine with going with Saturday as the night but then we also have the problem of getting the info out there. IE, unlike the beta thread, we're stuck in here (where thread title updates won't make a difference)

Top Bottom