• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

1stStrike

Banned
McBradders said:
From America?

I think not!

I have a really big gun.

Edit: Can anyone else not login to the MGO community page? I just get: Unable to log in. Please try again.

I'm using my gameid. Just tried resetting the password too, to no avail.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
1stStrike said:
I have a really big gun.

Edit: Can anyone else not login to the MGO community page? I just get: Unable to log in. Please try again.

I'm using my gameid. Just tried resetting the password too, to no avail.
Did you click the try again link? 9 out of 10 times I get that damn error it's because the login page I used had expired or something. If you click on the try again link it should take you back to the login page, you should be able to successfully logon on the second try.

Just want to share couple of thoughts with you guys after playing it since Beta

1. I can't aim and I don't know how to aim. For a while I seriously thought this guy was up to something when he had 29 kills and 27 were headshots. Then I went to another server and saw other people having similar stats. Maybe they have a mouse/keyboard set up, different sensitivity setting, or maybe just after all better hand-eye reflex coordination?

2. In any case, after not being able to kill anybody with any guns, I decided to abandon all guns except the tranquilizers and started to sleep and CQC people. That for me was when the fun began as I had Runner instead of Assault Rifle and I was just all over the place, going from CQC choke snake to forcing the other team to kill me and their teammates. Fun stuff

3. Like others have said, campers with sniper rifles suck. But then I can't snipe anybody, so maybe it does take a bit of skills

4. I personally think the time to wake up from being knocked up should be much shorter given how easy it is to knock people out

5. I love playing with you guys. Always fun

Can I join any of the Neogaf clan? I thought about applying but I figured nobody know who I am so I didn't

1stStrike

Banned
I figured out what the problem was. PEBKAC. I was at the JP MGO site not the US one.

And no, I'm pretty sure this game doesn't support a mouse and keyboard. There's a couple guns in the game that make it retardedly easy to get headshots. The M4 and M14 are the primary culprits.

CQC is fun, but also an exercise in frustration as you get shot the fuck up from behind while you're choking someone out.

And yes, sniping does take skill..outside of 1 rifle, they're all single shot weapons. You can't just spam bullets and hope for a lucky headshot.

You should join the frogunit. They need some more actives.

Yeah I was pretty much screwed every time I only have enough points to buy an AK. Just like in CS I can't aim with that gun. I didn't really catch on about M14 until I started noticing that just about every camping douche was using it (or the DVR...sp?) . I am still amazed at just how people can get HS off like nothing.

Ah the frustration with CQCing. To me sometimes they are also the best parts though, since they often happen at the most ridiculous situation like me actually holding up Snake but the other guy decided to kill me first. Or sometimes it's a race between me who is trying to take out my knife and the guy behind me trying to shoot me out

I would love to join the frogunit.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
BeautifulMemory said:
Yeah I was pretty much screwed every time I only have enough points to buy an AK. Just like in CS I can't aim with that gun. I didn't really catch on about M14 until I started noticing that just about every camping douche was using it (or the DVR...sp?) . I am still amazed at just how people can get HS off like nothing.

Ah the frustration with CQCing. To me sometimes they are also the best parts though, since they often happen at the most ridiculous situation like me actually holding up Snake but the other guy decided to kill me first. Or sometimes it's a race between me who is trying to take out my knife and the guy behind me trying to shoot me out

I would love to join the frogunit.

May annoyance really comes from the fact that sneaking, CQC, choking out and slitting throats are completely and utterly second fiddle to imbalanced gunplay.

I've seen some dudes do amazing stuff simply CQC'ing and knifing people, but they were only taking advantage of "headless chicken" syndrome. In an organized environment it becomes utterly redundant, which is a shame as it's the funnest part of the game IMO.

Indeed

McBradders said:
May annoyance really comes from the fact that sneaking, CQC, choking out and slitting throats are completely and utterly second fiddle to imbalanced gunplay.

I've seen some dudes do amazing stuff simply CQC'ing and knifing people, but they were only taking advantage of "headless chicken" syndrome. In an organized environment it becomes utterly redundant, which is a shame as it's the funnest part of the game IMO.

This is the reason i switched Blades 3 / CQC 1 to guns again. Skulking around the battlefield with your knife is fun but its pretty annoying when your target just whirls around and headshots you =/.

Also: Rescuemode should be played more often. The fact that you have only one life really increases the sneaking value.

1stStrike

Banned
The DVR-1 is a beast, but since it's single shot you need to be able to aim. So, if you miss, you might miss your chance to get a kill.

The mossin nagint is pretty sweet if you don't miss a lot either..1 shot to the head and they're snoozing, or two shots to the body.

I find the M14 is best for smaller maps though..you can snipe people, but you also have a chance in an up close and personal fight. The SVD is kind of annoying.

McBradders said:

I was having the best time playing MGO CQCing people with the exception of playing with the Neogaf people back in Beta on the capture the frog match

Absolutely agree though, on a good day I can rank close or on top on a server but me knifing/CQCing people does nothing for my stats and it actually does not help the team at all. And even when I have the most knock outs whoever uses the Mk II obviously has even more than me, sigh

Maybe I will try shotgun later. I find it annoying to be knocked back every time I am hit, might as well do it to other people

Indeed

1stStrike said:
The mossin nagint is pretty sweet if you don't miss a lot either..1 shot to the head and they're snoozing, or two shots to the body.

I really dont get the use of the Mosin-Nagant. Outside of sneaking missions if you are snake i see no reason to stun somebody if you could just aswell kill them with the SVD.
I mean if you are on GG and see an enemy sniper on a watchtower. You mosinnagant headshot him, he drops and sleeps for 20 seconds. Now you have to run to the tower, climb up and headshot him with your pistol / knife him to get the kill. Whats the point?

You could argue that in some missions like capture or base its better to stun the enemy team so you can quickly win the match. But in TDM and DM?

Enlighten me!

Indeed

BeautifulMemory said:
Maybe I will try shotgun later. I find it annoying to be knocked back every time I am hit, might as well do it to other people

Prepare to be frustrated in the beginning.
It takes 3 shotgun shells to bring an enemy down from 100%. Unless you are using slugs and your aim is good. But they are only available in db matches and are pretty expensive.

Also. Enable autoaim. Enable it in the options and turn it on with square. It helps immensly because you are guaranteed to hit the torso and have a high chance to knock your enemy on the ground.
And be prepared to switch to your knife often. Reloading takes ages and the shotgun is only useful in melee combat anyway.
So one useful tactic is to stun your enemy with a shotgun blast, quickly switch to knife. Shock him and finish him with your knife.

Ploid 3.0

Think of it as putting enemies in time out while your group still has it's members respawning, or taking action against the alive and dying enemies. If you sleep 2 people they are pretty much stuck with a long respawn time until one of your team members kill them with a headshot for easy points!

Ilparazzo

BeautifulMemory said:
I was having the best time playing MGO CQCing people with the exception of playing with the Neogaf people back in Beta on the capture the frog match

Absolutely agree though, on a good day I can rank close or on top on a server but me knifing/CQCing people does nothing for my stats and it actually does not help the team at all. And even when I have the most knock outs whoever uses the Mk II obviously has even more than me, sigh

Don't do it! The shotgun is a trap! It's too slow to do anyhting until you get it to level 2 or get a saiga-12 and you need to be at arms length to stagger people, giving you the chance to be cqc'd or easily headshotted it's worse than the handguns even!

1stStrike

Banned
Indeed said:
I really dont get the use of the Mosin-Nagant. Outside of sneaking missions if you are snake i see no reason to stun somebody if you could just aswell kill them with the SVD.
I mean if you are on GG and see an enemy sniper on a watchtower. You mosinnagant headshot him, he drops and sleeps for 20 seconds. Now you have to run to the tower, climb up and headshot him with your pistol / knife him to get the kill. Whats the point?

You could argue that in some missions like capture or base its better to stun the enemy team so you can quickly win the match. But in TDM and DM?

Enlighten me!

As said above, it puts them into timeout. They're out of action. Also, even if you don't kill them, it fucks up their aim. Their aim will be all shakey and they won't be able to hit shit.

So, you're not only depriving a team of some of its players, but you're making them useless in combat too.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Sooo Killthee I still need one more person, you going to volunteer?

Linkzg said:
I just noticed that there is an opening in the neogaf clan. I guess someone dropped out.
I kicked a few more people who had under 5 minutes played.

Indeed said:
I use it to grief people who try to do the sniper thing. EviLore took it really well that one night :lol

Nozdeuce

Whats really sad is like a week and a bit ago I made a joke post about clans to watch out for, making fun of their name or clan comment.

Now most of them are ahead of us =/

1stStrike

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Whats really sad is like a week and a bit ago I made a joke post about clans to watch out for, making fun of their name or clan comment.

Now most of them are ahead of us =/

It's not hard to surpass us when there's people with over 200 hours game time already, with smaller, but active clans. You're not going to surpass anyone when you only have 4 active members a day max in your clan. We should seriously consolodate the clans. We have 2 almost full clans and 1 less than half full clan and maybe..10 - 12 active players between em.

Ilparazzo

1stStrike said:
It's not hard to surpass us when there's people with over 200 hours game time already, with smaller, but active clans. You're not going to surpass anyone when you only have 4 active members a day max in your clan. We should seriously consolodate the clans. We have 2 almost full clans and 1 less than half full clan and maybe..10 - 12 active players between em.

200 hours??? I do believe they should get a life...

1stStrike

Banned
Ilparazzo said:
200 hours??? I do believe they should get a life...

Seriously, but that's the cold, hard truth. You won't catch up to people like that until they're burned out and move onto the next big thing. Don't forget that kids with no need for jobs (or friends?) are out of school right now too.

Nozdeuce

Think I'm going to go keyboard and headset shopping today. Since usb hubs work with PS3 I'm thinking of getting a ghetto keyboard and a ghetto usb headset, plugging that into the keyboard. I really want the socom/official PS3 headset that comes out later, but also don't want to be voice commless during MGO.

Thoughts?

todahawk

Killthee said:
Did you click the try again link? 9 out of 10 times I get that damn error it's because the login page I used had expired or something. If you click on the try again link it should take you back to the login page, you should be able to successfully logon on the second try.

Yeah, it's not just me. I've tried it in different browsers and starting new sessions and it still tells me i'm unable to login. I think the site chokes a LOT. Pretty random too.

But it think that's a good tip, make sure the page hasn't expired... completely reload the page.

BTW, i might not be able to make the NEOGAF v FOXUNIT match tomorrow. I'm EST and might be unavailable. :(

Oni Jazar

1stStrike said:

Yep. I think it's time we united all the clans. So many times I log in and have to search all 3 clans just to find one active member.

Having said that I had some great games with you guys last night! The server was full and I had to wait for a slot to open up. Sorry I didn't use my headset - the GF was sleeping in the same room. I got myself another Snake victory though! Whoever was MKII was a big help. I also realized something: Snake will not salute! C'mon sake, Big Boss would do it!

I wonder if they're only gonna release maps via the MGO shop? I wont be able to buy them if that's the case. Do the right thing and release them on the Playstation store, Konami!

todahawk

Oni Jazar said:
Yep. I think it's time we united all the clans. So many times I log in and have to search all 3 clans just to find one active member.

Having said that I had some great games with you guys last night! The server was full and I had to wait for a slot to open up. Sorry I didn't use my headset - the GF was sleeping in the same room. I got myself another Snake victory though! Whoever was MKII was a big help. I also realized something: Snake will not salute! C'mon sake, Big Boss would do it!

should there be a hardcore vs casual clan? i love the game but my time is limited...
(200 hours? Since launch isn't that like 12 hours a day? I hope you were kidding)

Facism

seiken? seiken!? SEIIIIKKEEENNNN!!!

Where is he -_-

All this talk of consolidating the 3 US clans, and EU doesn't even have half a clan.

Ilparazzo

Facism said:
seiken? seiken!? SEIIIIKKEEENNNN!!!

Where is he -_-

All this talk of consolidating the 3 US clans, and EU doesn't even have half a clan.

I say a mutiny! Arrr!

Edit: Anyone want to go in about 10 minutes and help me kick wellrod's ass? that guy has the awesomest kdr I have seen yet 2338 kills / 1257 deaths. That guy makes me want to punch a hole on the wall when I play against him...

1stStrike

Banned
greenjerk said:
should there be a hardcore vs casual clan? i love the game but my time is limited...
(200 hours? Since launch isn't that like 12 hours a day? I hope you were kidding)

Well, right now we don't even have enough -active- people to make a full clan, really. So I don't see a need for two separate US clans at all atm.

Also..yes, there are people with well over 200 hours invested into MGO so far. Every online game has people like this when it first comes out. Most of em get burnt out after a few weeks and then move onto the next game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Bee Unit!

Are we gonna play tomorrow afternoon?

ANSWER ME!

Although I do have a Crimson Skies session lined up for MIDNIGHT. ¬_¬

Pew pew.

SRG01

Indeed said:

Enlighten me!

Stun/knockouts are useful in many situations.

Case in point, if that person is linked up, then it's really easy to lure other people into one place. One sneaking mission had me and a few other people wandering around when one accidentally wandered off too far and got knocked out by Snake. He put a magazine by the sleeping team member and we all fell for it. :lol

Also, knockouts last longer than kills, so it's easy to thin down the opposition with it.

Ilparazzo

I really don't understand how the titles work in this game... I just got the rat and the animal just changed from the eagle to the rat for a while, then changed back to the eagle by the next round. Weird...

Nozdeuce

I still need one more for the scrim tomorrow, so far I have:
Guled
Human_shield
Carlos
Lonestar

With AkuMifune as a backup (wanna be a starter?)

Ephemeris

Hmm. I may not be able to do the 1pm eastern thing tomorrow. Crap!

Indeed said:

Enlighten me!

Oh, there's no argument there. It certainly takes way more time trying to awaken than to simply respawn (unless you can roll crazy-well o_o). And in a game like capture, sleep/stun = win.

Not only are they stuck there, but you usually gain two things.
1) Depending on where you tranq'd them, in most cases their respawn location is close to where your objective is. The further away they are from you, the better.
2) Any time the enemy spends trying to wake their teammate up, is time spent away from killing you. :lol

It's all about tactics friend. Stop thinking about kills and start thinking about winning. ;)

Top Bottom