• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

domlolz

Banned
I'm pretty bad at this,level 1 and I've played it for a few hours over the past two days

Never was very good with Counter Strike either

I like the potential of the SOP system-you never get a chance to use it properly on public servers

Also-what are good skills to go for?

Yasser

man the eurogaf clan can't be made soon enough.. was playing last night and some asshat was going around CQCing his own teammates and taking their weapons >_<

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
domlolz said:
I'm pretty bad at this,level 1 and I've played it for a few hours over the past two days

Never was very good with Counter Strike either

I like the potential of the SOP system-you never get a chance to use it properly on public servers

Also-what are good skills to go for?
Should probably at least have whichever weapon skill goes with what you like using, runner is always good to have. Blades+ and/or CQC+ are good and fun, but you probably want to have the basics nailed down first. Also might as well take the SOP skill that highlights enemies you do damage to (the name escapes me atm) so you can slowly level it up now, because you will want to use it when playing on a GAF server or whatever.

Also, I decided to check out the current NA clan list. Turns out we are the biggest clan, with most having fewer than 20 members, and even more with fewer than 10.

Hey guys,

Put me down for a EuroGAF clan... finally got registered and got the update last night (biggest pain in the ass ever), but then enjoyed hours and hours of sneaking missions and team deathmatch. Nom nom nom! Its good!

My characters name is: TomRHR83

Let me know if you add me. I'm gonna go out and get a bluetooth headset today :D

Problem though, hopefully someone can help me out... when I try and host a game, it says I can't because of my network environment. When I test my connection from the XMB I get a NAT 2 rating, the connection is supposedly "excellent" and everything else works fine. I've tried port forwarding the port MGO wants to use, and I've tried putting the PS3 in the DMZ. Any ideas?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can anyone tell me how to make a Game ID? I already have a Konami ID; my beta game ID doesn't seem to work, and I see no option to just get a game ID on the Konami website. This is quite frustrating.

EDIT: Never mind, it was the wrong password.

peetfeet

I'm just starting Act5 in the single player and have dipped my toe into the online game but have a few questions before i dive headlong into online after finishing the main game, any help you could give would be great as its a long time since i battled online in earnest in my old TFC Clan.

1 When waiting for the start of the match after everyone has pressed ok most times i have to wait up to a minute before i can join the action even though i can see other players that have already started. Theres a flashing red(ish) bar at the top of the screen with a countdown til i can enter on the right, why will it not let me enter with everyone else? In a couple of games i have had to wait and literally 3-4secs after entering the game its declared over! (Hunting Snake level if i remember right).

2. Skill points. How are they increased? Is it simply using the corresponding action/weapon regularly or maybe the amount of time you've played online? What are the average timescales for leveling up?

3. Does anybody else seem to have probs using a headset when playing online? I try to have it on everytime i play but i have only actually heard one person talking into the damn thing and i dont think they could hear me, otherwise its always total silence. Its been enabled in XMB at works ok there, its been enabled in the multiplayer options too with mic and headset volumes set at 8 i think. I worked ok when playing GTA4 online before i got my replacement PS3, perhaps i should try again to make sure its the game and not the mike....

4. Lastly, when i play online i have Auto Aim switched off (as i do when playing single player), I'm trying desperately to get used to aiming manually (since i rarely play FPS with a controller). The idea of AA speaks to me of being lazy and 'cheating', however when playing online people seem to be able to kill others in an instant wether they are both running/walking or not (and mostly headshots). Are they/you really that good or is using AA in MGS quite common? I only ask as the Auto Aim in GTA4 seems to be frowned upon on many servers but from reading through the thread here (albeit only the last 20ish pages) it seems reasonably common. If most people use it i may try playing using it too if it makes such a difference.

dork

Banned
peetfeet said:
3. Does anybody else seem to have probs using a headset when playing online? I try to have it on everytime i play but i have only actually heard one person talking into the damn thing and i dont think they could hear me, otherwise its always total silence. Its been enabled in XMB at works ok there, its been enabled in the multiplayer options too with mic and headset volumes set at 8 i think. I worked ok when playing GTA4 online before i got my replacement PS3, perhaps i should try again to make sure its the game and not the mike....

4. Lastly, when i play online i have Auto Aim switched off (as i do when playing single player), I'm trying desperately to get used to aiming manually (since i rarely play FPS with a controller). The idea of AA speaks to me of being lazy and 'cheating', however when playing online people seem to be able to kill others in an instant wether they are both running/walking or not (and mostly headshots). Are they/you really that good or is using AA in MGS quite common? I only ask as the Auto Aim in GTA4 seems to be frowned upon on many servers but from reading through the thread here (albeit only the last 20ish pages) it seems reasonably common. If most people use it i may try playing using it too if it makes such a difference.

3-I have also only heard once person using the mic, other than me. I quit talking because nobody was listening. I know some Gaffers have headsets, but they were all on the opposite team when I played :(. I had to make sure the USB one was enabled after I disabled my bluetooth one. Join a game with me sometime and I will listen for your mic. Or just join any game and yell can you hear me? Do it in a Gaf room, someone will respond

4--As far as I know most people leave AA off, it's quite horrible. I flicked it on once during a fight and it turned me around and got me killed. It's easier to just get used to aiming yourself.

Facism

AA is great in a tight spot where normal aiming will get you killed. Like when a guy dives right past you and you can't adjust manually quick enough.

todahawk

peetfeet said:
I'm just starting Act5 in the single player and have dipped my toe into the online game but have a few questions before i dive headlong into online after finishing the main game, any help you could give would be great as its a long time since i battled online in earnest in my old TFC Clan.

1 When waiting for the start of the match after everyone has pressed ok most times i have to wait up to a minute before i can join the action even though i can see other players that have already started. Theres a flashing red(ish) bar at the top of the screen with a countdown til i can enter on the right, why will it not let me enter with everyone else? In a couple of games i have had to wait and literally 3-4secs after entering the game its declared over! (Hunting Snake level if i remember right).

2. Skill points. How are they increased? Is it simply using the corresponding action/weapon regularly or maybe the amount of time you've played online? What are the average timescales for leveling up?

1. can't answer that one, never seen it or happened to me
2. by successful application of the skill (IIRC). meaning if you're trying to level knife, you must actually use the knife and kill/stun with it.
3. yes, i've been trying to use my mic and headset and had little luck with people being able to hear me. i heard voices once through my headset. icon shows in the lobby properly though. use the same setup in cod4 with no issues.
4. autoaim is prolly the reason people are getting some quick kills on you. some people don't like it but konami (again IIRC) posted something in the online manual for MGO about autoaim being good for getting the drop on someone in close.

I was part of the NeoGAF - Frog Unit, but I'm willing to join any NeoGAF clan.

PSN: xBerserker
MGO: xBerserker

Oh, and I'm a Shark :D

todahawk

anyone mess with the "ghost pranks" setting in rescue missions?

from the konami online manual:
For Rescue Mission and when your life gauge drops to zero, you cannot respawn. However, if "Ghost Pranks" is enabled in Common Settings, you can become a ghost and play pranks.
If your life gauge drops to zero during certain situations, you will become an evil spirit. Normal ghosts cannot be seen by characters that are still alive, but evil spirits can.​

:lol :lol :lol That was a blast in MGS3 Online ahhh, good times. Good to hear they kept that.

You can even use the preselect messages, but there are just different ghost moans, :lol

greenjerk said:
anyone mess with the "ghost pranks" setting in rescue missions?

from the konami online manual:
For Rescue Mission and when your life gauge drops to zero, you cannot respawn. However, if "Ghost Pranks" is enabled in Common Settings, you can become a ghost and play pranks.
If your life gauge drops to zero during certain situations, you will become an evil spirit. Normal ghosts cannot be seen by characters that are still alive, but evil spirits can.​

todahawk

-xBerserker- said:
:lol :lol :lol That was a blast in MGS3 Online ahhh, good times. Good to hear they kept that.

You can even use the preselect messages, but there are just different ghost moans, :lol
sounds cool. i was digging through the manual (can't host games) and saw that and wondered wtf it was. :lol

makes me wish i woulda tried mgo1.

i'll be online tonight as well. took tomorrow off so i'll be staying up late. not sure if i'll do single or MP, only on act 2 right now.

Ya, I want to make a ghost game now :lol You can knock on walls (alive guys can hear), you can do cqc with other dead guys. At least in MGO1 you could.

I spent Saturday and Sunday maxing out my knife and cqc skills, now for a real game :D

todahawk

-xBerserker- said:
Ya, I want to make a ghost game now :lol You can knock on walls (alive guys can hear), you can do cqc with other dead guys. At least in MGO1 you could.

I spent Saturday and Sunday maxing out my knife and cqc skills, now for a real game :D
damn that sounds hilarious.
shit, i need to put some time into my skills. everything is LOW... not enough time in the day. maybe i can have my wife go into some newbie games while i'm at work and at least run around and get that skill up.

peetfeet

dork said:
3-I have also only heard once person using the mic, other than me. I quit talking because nobody was listening. I know some Gaffers have headsets, but they were all on the opposite team when I played :(. I had to make sure the USB one was enabled after I disabled my bluetooth one. Join a game with me sometime and I will listen for your mic. Or just join any game and yell can you hear me? Do it in a Gaf room, someone will respond

4--As far as I know most people leave AA off, it's quite horrible. I flicked it on once during a fight and it turned me around and got me killed. It's easier to just get used to aiming yourself.

Whats your character name? i'll add you.

I guess i'll persevere with it off and maybe play around with the settings

Flo_Evans

Man this is a great online game. I was leveling up CQC and knife skills last night. I am pretty horrible at close range but after doing it all night you see all the subtle nuances of the CQC and knife systems.

Had some great battles with throws, rolls, fakes and other shit against some really good knife fighters. :D

I love the roll on the ground option. If you do it fast enough you can get out of the way after someone throws you down and not get knifed.

Not sure what skills I'll end up using. I kind of like assault rifles. Have too see what you get at lv.3 for that but I think its just faster re-loads and less recoil.

Speaking of skills, does anyone have a guide of the levels and abilities and special combos? I heard you need lvl.3 Knife and lvl.1 CQC equipped to do the throat slash? True/False?

FabCam

Flo_Evans said:
I love the roll on the ground option. If you do it fast enough you can get out of the way after someone throws you down and not get knifed.

How do you roll? Do you have to have CQC skill?

Flo_Evans said:
Speaking of skills, does anyone have a guide of the levels and abilities and special combos? I heard you need lvl.3 Knife and lvl.1 CQC equipped to do the throat slash? True/False?

I'm looking for such a guide myself. I believe your right about the throat slash skill combo. It had it set up for the MGO Beta, I think that's it....

:lol I'm thinking of making a "running" room and just run laps to up my running skill.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Facism said:
Seiken, your brother still isn't on the PS3, is he? D:
I took a pic without flash (I don't want him knowing >_>). Yes, he's still playing...

IzimlsGJb.jpg

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
Every neogaf server from now on needs Ghost Pranks on.

This and Drebin points. Its always nice to be able to access every weapon (almost every weapon anyway) and attachment in the game.

Ok since I beat MGS4, I'm finally about ready to dig back in to MGO.

I do however see that the GAF clan is full, but I'll totally wait patiently for an open spot, though I'm sure that by now there's a good line for it.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Ok since I beat MGS4, I'm finally about ready to dig back in to MGO.

I do however see that the GAF clan is full, but I'll totally wait patiently for an open spot, though I'm sure that by now there's a good line for it.

Right now we are just waiting for the second and third GAF clans to go up. Some in the first one may branch off and make their own GAF clans once they get the hour/level requirements.

Teknoman said:
Right now we are just waiting for the second and third GAF clans to go up. Some in the first one may branch off and make their own GAF clans once they get the hour/level requirements.

ah, cool. well I'll just play random games until I can jump into something and monitor the thread for updates and whatnot.

Teknoman said:
This and Drebin points. Its always nice to be able to access every weapon (almost every weapon anyway) and attachment in the game.

yeah, Drebin points are a must.

I think sneaking mode should also be an option.

number386

I have a couple of questions:

Is there any way to heal yourself?
What gun and attachments do you use?

I've been using M4 with grip, and red dot.

Top Bottom