• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why.

Honest question. I was going to run through Normal, then Hard. Is normal really that bad?

Well, I don't consider myself amazing at these kinds of games, even though I love them. Once you have the mechanics down I think hard is a very balanced difficulty to start with. Enemies are aggressive, block a lot more, and you take a harder beating, but it's all manageable if you apply the skills learned and play intelligently.

The two elements that make hard bearable is knowing how to refill your health from enemies, and keeping your recharge blocks equipped. In the case of the former, extracting spines nets you full health/energy. So even if you're fighting two Gekko, two armoured dudes, and a couple of grunts, you can pace yourself between the enemies and make a note to "save" the weakest units for when you need to recharge. Deal as much damage as you can to everyone before your health is low, then slice the grunt and grab his spine. Bam, you're back to 100%. As for recharge blocks, they act exactly like rations: auto heal upon 0% health.

I haven't finished the game yet so it might have some insane difficulty spike for all I know, but I've found hard to be quite manageable. Tough, but good tough.

There are only four modes yes?

No idea, I haven't finished the game yet. Easy/Normal/Hard are available from the onset. No other difficulties are on display.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Everybody play while hard.
ibcqXk2PNAdF3T.gif

Marlowe89

Dammit, I couldn't resist coming back after all. I'm going to spoil the shit out of myself in anticipation.

Also I don't usually request this type of stuff but could someone Revengify my old avatar and make it transparent? I did a pretty lousy job on my current one. Purdy please?

marlowerevengified_zpsd07f59eb.png

rvy

Banned
Does Konami actually pay someone to search for Rising videos on YT every 5 minutes and do copyright claims?

Am I imagining things or was there early videos/gifs of Raiden wall running? I kept trying in in the demo but nada. Was that taken out or am I missing something? Anyone else remember that?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Am I imagining things or was there early videos/gifs of Raiden wall running? I kept trying in in the demo but nada. Was that taken out or am I missing something? Anyone else remember that?
Many pages were spent talking about it the demo thread. Not sure if we ever got an answer.

Dammit, I couldn't resist coming back after all. I'm going to spoil the shit out of myself in anticipation.

Also I don't usually request this type of stuff but could someone Revengify my old avatar and make it transparent? I did a pretty lousy job on my current one. Purdy please?

marlowerevengified_zpsd07f59eb.png
I'll bump your's, hopefully you have a better chance of it than i did when i asked.

ChaosXVI

Just played the demo, I didn't exactly love it immediately, but I think when I get a better feel for the controls I'd get right into the full game, I think Bayonetta has pretty much spoiled me for absolutely tight controls and extremely fluid combat.

winstano

This game is nuts. Absolutely nuts. Played about 2 hours of it last night, and the enormous shit-eating grin didn't leave my face until I decided I needed sleep.

The first 'big thing you do is
the Metal Gear Ray fight
, for god's sake! And it just goes uphill from there. Absolutely insane. I'm amazed and thrilled that Kojima's put this into the MG canon, it's a perfect insight into what Raiden's life must've been like at the time of MGS4 to just jump in and be *THAT* badass.

GOTY so far, and I can't see much topping it. Incredible.

Got the PS3 version now, gonna start playing. If anyone has any questions about the game, i would try to answer.

Edit: There is a patch for the game. 65 MBs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@EatChildren/anyone

One question... Wall run skill?

Not yet, no signs of it in.

I watched that video awhile ago and it seems very detached from the game we actually got. Like, it's clearly the same game, but the level itself is designed differently to the one in the game, the RAY fight is positioned differently, and there's a few other little details (like the wall run) that aren't evident in the final game. Seems almost like an early testing area for mechanics or an early build of the level that was later redesigned.

Speaking of QTEs, I feel that PlatinumGames always knew how to make them entertaining and tasteful unlike games such as Resident Evil 6 who use them ad nauseam.

Most of their QTEs are just extra over-the-top animations that would have been difficult or impossible to put in the combat system otherwise, not a supplement for the gameplay itself.

Carbonox

Speaking of QTEs, I feel that PlatinumGames always knew how to make them entertaining and tasteful unlike games such as Resident Evil 6 who use them ad nauseam.

Most of their QTEs are just extra over-the-top animations that would have been difficult or impossible to put in the combat system otherwise, not a supplement for the gameplay itself.

With the exception of some of the Bayonetta QTE's which were a pain in the ass. I guess overall P* aren't so bad with QTE's as other devs.

With the exception of some of the Bayonetta QTE's which were a pain in the ass. I guess overall P* aren't so bad with QTE's as other devs.

Which ones?
EDIT: The QTEs in the meat of the gameplay of Bayonetta are totally optional, the only ones that I could imagine someone finding annoying are the boss battle QTEs, but then again I seem to take pleasure in mashing a button to absolutely destroy a boss that I worked hard to defeat (especially on the harder difficulties).

JPKellams

Not yet, no signs of it in.

I watched that video awhile ago and it seems very detached from the game we actually got. Like, it's clearly the same game, but the level itself is designed differently to the one in the game, the RAY fight is positioned differently, and there's a few other little details (like the wall run) that aren't evident in the final game. Seems almost like an early testing area for mechanics or an early build of the level that was later redesigned.

Bingo. There is no wall-run anymore.

Carbonox

Which ones?

I'm not a big fan of the ones where you have to time your press and if you press the button too early you die. For example when you fight the dragon at the clocktower. I could nail it one run but then another run fail. They were too silly for my liking.

A real shame. Could have had some great combo applications (wall-running in to an attack using the wall as a launch pad or using an attack, link to a wall run, attack, etc.). However for such a thing to work, the game's environment would have to be designed to cater for it which could impact the rest of the game's design intentions.

Oh well.

I'm not a big fan of the ones where you have to time your press and if you press the button too early you die. For example when you fight the dragon at the clocktower. I could nail it one run but then another run fail. They were too silly for my liking.

I can't disagree with that. But if you know its coming its almost impossible to fail it.

Bedlam

So, I've seen the demo boss. I've seen the MG Ray fight, I've watched maybe a minute of each of the 4 desperado bosses (while listening to the soundtrack samples on yt). Have I spoiled basically the whole game (minus the last boss) for myself or are there a bunch of more bosses in the game?

Anyway. Game is preordered and I can't wait for next week.

EatChildren

It strikes me as one of those mechanics that was conceptualised and tested, and eventually made obsolete through the design of the rest of the game. I really should shut up because I'm embargoed, but I haven't really encountered any combat sequence in the game that would have been enhanced with wall run. They game just doesn't seem designed to accommodate a skill like that.

It's the kind of thing you'd look at giving another try in a sequel.

That's what I've thought first with the demo, basically making every enemy a walking health pack. Probably Revengeance mode nerfs it?

I don't know what Revengeance mode does, but the game is pretty well-balanced on hard and very hard because enemies do a ton of damage.

Carbonox

I don't know what Revengeance mode does, but the game is pretty well-balanced on hard and very hard because enemies do a ton of damage.

I also read that the amount of time you have to use blade mode is lowered too? I'd imagine Revengeance mode only affects that even more, on top of the enemy damage. Though it would be fucking awesome if the enemies in Revengeance mode got the rage mode that Raiden can use (when he glows red) just for added FUCKYOUGAMERS.

S ranking Reveangeance mode is gonna be impossible. :( The sheer thought of it.

Varth

It strikes me as one of those mechanics that was conceptualised and tested, and eventually made obsolete through the design of the rest of the game. I really should shut up because I'm embargoed, but I haven't really encountered any combat sequence in the game that would have been enhanced with wall run. They game just doesn't seem designed to accommodate a skill like that.

It's the kind of thing you'd look at giving another try in a sequel.

With that kind of camera the game has, you can only be thankful it was cut. You can get an idea of what could have happened otherwise by playing PS2 Shinobi.

rvy

Banned
Story spoilers:

Shit, Jack was born in Liberia? Cool. I had no idea. He always looked American to me.

Top Bottom