• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Momentary

Banned
You can definitely tell they had this game thrown on their lap and were rushed to finish it. I dream of the day that I can see what a "from the ground up" MGR sequel would look like.

Ninja Gaiden's always had a broken scoring system. I wouldn't put much stock in that.

I do vaguely remember that some balancing involved making the game easier, but I can't be sure. I don't think it's like a NG2->NGS2 difference, but I can't remember.

Google "Devil May Cry Developer" instead.

haha, knew I could count on you.

And Ninja Gaiden does have a broken scoring system...you either try to be perfect with Karma run or just kill kill kill and don't use nippo and you get high scores

Grief.exe

All of this Ninja Gaiden talk makes me wish Tecmo would port the Black version to PC and next-gen.

I'm not 100% sure what Ninja Gaiden Z actually is, but looks like they are opening up to the PC space. Gives me hope.

Is there a Tecmo rep on Twitter or GAF we can bother?

You can definitely tell they had this game thrown on their lap and were rushed to finish it. I dream of the day that I can see what a "from the ground up" MGR sequel would look like.

MGR2 PC/PS4/XB1

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
All of this Ninja Gaiden talk makes me wish Tecmo would port the Black version to PC and next-gen.

I'm not 100% sure what Ninja Gaiden Z actually is, but looks like they are opening up to the PC space. Gives me hope.

Is there a Tecmo rep on Twitter or GAF we can bother?

NGZ is getting a PC release? I might actually get it.

I'm not expecting anything deep, and the NG franchise is fairly crippled at this point. NGZ is an obviously goofy side story spin-off. If it encourages a possible port of the classics, I'd pick it up.

The problem, I imagine, is that Team Ninja has no experience developing for the PC or history of porting anything. I feel like they'd probably be more likely to port DOA than Ninja Gaiden.

antitrop

I still have my OG Xbox copy of NGB, but I can't be bothered to try to figure out how to hook it up to my HDTV and all that shit. =/ Does it even run in 16:9?

I would totally be down for replaying that, it's been like 9 years or so. I really wish the definitive version was easier to play. That's why I love PC gaming, I don't have to dig my dusty old consoles out of the closet and fuck with inputs or anything.

EDIT: I forgot about X360 backwards compat, how does NGB work with that? That would be a good option.

TnK

Jumping is weird with NG - I have to give credit though, I feel like Itagaki, like Kamiya with DMC was aiming for a COMPLETE package in an action game - you got story (however lame it was), varied environment, level ups, hidden items, platforming, puzzles, different types of boss fights, etc.

Did you beat NGS on master ninja? I haven't and I did find it challenging...as well as the the missons, especially Eternal Legend

Edit: OMG I googled "DMC developer" and it gave me a picture of Ninja Theory logo on the top of its page -___-
Varied envionment and puzzles were cool, I liked that, though I imagine on second or third playthrough would become annoying. I never finished NGS on any other difficulty because I forced myself to finish it on normal. Played it on and off for I think 2-3 months.

Ninja Gaiden's always had a broken scoring system. I wouldn't put much stock in that.

I do vaguely remember that some balancing involved making the game easier, but I can't be sure. I don't think it's like a NG2->NGS2 difference, but I can't remember.
Broken score system? That's a relief. Back then I thought either my game was glitched, or they made the scoring system really easy to make people feel good. I never used Ninpo though, because I knew it affected the score.

Googling if NGS is easier never yields any results. I only get forum discussions. Seems like it may be there, but really minor, or it doesn't exist at all. People may think it was easier because they became good at the game after playing NGB. Kind of like how most people here can beat armstrong on the first try now vs. the hour and a half they experienced before on consoles. This is just a guess though, nothing concrete or anything.

Anteater

NGZ is getting a PC release? I might actually get it.

I'm not expecting anything deep, and the NG franchise is fairly crippled at this point. NGZ is an obviously goofy side story spin-off. If it encourages a possible port of the classics, I'd pick it up.

The problem, I imagine, is that Team Ninja has no experience developing for the PC or history of porting anything. I feel like they'd probably be more likely to port DOA than Ninja Gaiden.

I think they will be fine, Ninja Gaiden Z is being produced by Inafune and outsourced to Spark Unlimited. They are familiar with the pc market. Plus, it's U3E.

antitrop

Nothing I've seen from NGZ has inspired any confidence whatsoever that it will be a game worth buying.

Shitty graphics, watered down combat... Spark fucking Unlimited. Good luck to it. It just looks like a dime-a-dozen, generic shitty beat-em-up. Not a hardcore character action game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think they will be fine, Ninja Gaiden Z is being produced by Inafune and outsourced to Spark Unlimited. They are familiar with the pc market. Plus, it's U3E.

Yeah, I don't think the PC version of NGZ would have any issues, I'm just thinking of any potential port of older Team Ninja games.

Nothing I've seen from NGZ has inspired any confidence whatsoever that it will be a game worth buying.

It looks dumb and grindhousey. I'm not looking at it like a real Ninja Gaiden game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
EDIT: I forgot about X360 backwards compat, how does NGB work with that? That would be a good option.

Worked great. I've ONLY played it through BC, either through XBOX classics or my physical disc. CG cutscenes look a bit shit on HDTV tho.

Anteater

Yeah, I don't think the PC version of NGZ would have any issues, I'm just thinking of any potential port of older Team Ninja games.

ahh right, misread your post! yeah, I'm not sure about those older games, but I'd take them as long as they have resolution options :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It doesn't even look like a good beat-em-up, though. I think I'd rather just replay Wolverine, or something.

I can stomach middling to mediocre action depending on the situation. If no other actions games are out around that time, I might pick it up during a Steam sale.

antitrop

I can stomach middling to mediocre action depending on the situation. If no other actions games are out around that time, I might pick it up during a Steam sale.
It's actually launching weeks ahead of the US in AU and EU, so I guess I can wait for their impressions first. :p

It's one week before Titanfall in the US, though, so uh... I really don't think I'll bother. The controls just look really floaty, and it seems really simple and basic. I dunno, game just looks really "cheap" in the gameplay demos.

March is a busy month for gaming, and I ain't got no time for Spark Unlimited.

TnK

I tried NGZ at a gaming convention, and it was surprisingly fun. Nothing ground breaking or anything, just dumb fun.

Question: In Sam's DLC, which enemy dropped the last endurance+ item?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's actually launching weeks ahead of the US in AU and EU, so I guess I can wait for their impressions first. :p

It's one week before Titanfall in the US, though, so uh... I really don't think I'll bother.

No Xbone for me, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'll see how releases are that month. I'm not committing one way or another.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No Xbone for me, unfortunately.

TF is also on PC tho.

Possibly Origin only.

To keep things on topic, listened to the whole soundtrack and I have to say Mistral is probably my favorite theme.

I AM A STRANGER WHO HAS FOUND A STRANGER WAR

Clawww

my inner lip is bleeding cuz of Sam VR 4

jesus

I bet the rest of the story parts will be a piece of cake at least

I learned that Sam has an air dash!

I feel like I'm making some pretty good progress through Very Hard. I'm up to the start of Chapter 3 and I've been getting mostly A ranks, down to the occasional C when things go really badly for me. I even managed to completely shut down Blade Wolf and S rank him without letting him get a single attack in. Ripper Mode seems way overpowered, especially with Sam's sword with all the upgrades, so I've been trying not to rely on it. I always have trouble with that first Raptor fight down in the sewers, but with Ripper Mode on it was over before it even began.

You definitely have to keep the upper hand at all times, though, because one missed parry can lead to an almost instant game over. I nearly got taken out by a single Mastiff who pinned me against the wall and just kept doing that overhead slam over and over. I missed one and it stunned me, couldn't waggle fast enough to parry the next one, Raiden falls down, doesn't get up before the next one, etc. Armoured enemies with rocket launchers are really crapping me up a lot, too. If there are two separated by some distance I just try and hope I can get one of them into a spot where the other can't hit me, and usually lose half my health in the process.

antitrop

I'm unsure if I could decide on a favorite. It would probably change every time I am asked.

But who’s to judge
The right from wrong
When our guard is down
I think we’ll both agree

That viiiiiiiiiiiiolence breeds viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiolence
But in the end it has to be this waaaaaaaaaaay

DukeBobby

My top 5:

1. The Hot Wind Blowing
2. I'm My Own Master Now
3. A Stranger I Remain
4. It Has to Be This Way
5. Red Sun

The only song I don't like is Stains of Time.

FtsH

Was trying to find the grain filter texture, no luck yet but got this, if anyone likes it...
v25.jpg

I'm only a fan of how The only Thing I Know For Real starts out. It's build hype real well. (The Platinum mix anyway.)

I can't enough of A Soul Can't Be Cut, though. (The DLC version.)

Varied envionment and puzzles were cool, I liked that, though I imagine on second or third playthrough would become annoying. I never finished NGS on any other difficulty because I forced myself to finish it on normal. Played it on and off for I think 2-3 months.

Broken score system? That's a relief. Back then I thought either my game was glitched, or they made the scoring system really easy to make people feel good. I never used Ninpo though, because I knew it affected the score.

Googling if NGS is easier never yields any results. I only get forum discussions. Seems like it may be there, but really minor, or it doesn't exist at all. People may think it was easier because they became good at the game after playing NGB. Kind of like how most people here can beat armstrong on the first try now vs. the hour and a half they experienced before on consoles. This is just a guess though, nothing concrete or anything.

I would recommend diving into Very Hard for NGS. It's the perfect difficulty for mastering the game and without the game being cheap. And the puzzles did get a bit boring because I wanted non-stop action...so I had to stop myself and remind myself that I was actually playing a well-designed video game, not just a straight up action game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/935677-ninja-gaiden-sigma/41462266

Anyone know how well NGB runs on a 360? The thing I remember putting me off Sigma was that it doesn't have a New Game + mode, which is probably a dumb reason not to play a game but it's still something that really irks me. Actually, does NGB even have one? I'm suddenly realising I never even checked :p

Grief.exe

Its unfortunate that NGZ is going to be Tecmo's first Steam release, maybe even first PC release.
When that game inevitably flops they may be disinclined to port other games over as well. You have to think they are monitoring their competitor's profits in Japan and seeing the utility of the platform.

It would just be unfortunate if the Ninja Gaiden games were stuck on dying consoles. That is the real reason I fight for PC ports.

TnK

I would recommend diving into Very Hard for NGS. It's the perfect difficulty for mastering the game and without the game being cheap. And the puzzles did get a bit boring because I wanted non-stop action...so I had to stop myself and remind myself that I was actually playing a well-designed video game, not just a straight up action game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/935677-ninja-gaiden-sigma/41462266
I unlock VH after unlocking Hard, correct? If so, my old save is gone, and I need to finish the game twice. I remember playing the last option in the initial set of difficulty levels. I may start up NGS once I am done with MGRR, see if it grabs my attention again.

I actually have to deliberately try not to kill Sam too quickly. Probably the easiest boss, and I just beat the game on Very Hard.

This game's combat is pretty disappointing. It feels like you barely have any control over what's happening. It relies heavily on parries, but sometimes there are so many enemies around that it just isn't feasible because you have to keep blocking, and the game basically trains you to just mash block and hope you don't get hit. In addition, half of the enemies actually discourage parries. Hammers can't be countered, custom cyborgs will just block the counter and attack again (I think it takes 3-5 ripostes to even stagger them that way), most Gekko attacks will knock you away, Raptors will dodge ripostes or your sword will magically phase through them. It doesn't feel like the kind of game you can ever truly just roll over everything even on the highest difficulty the way people have done with the DMC games. It's a nice concept and the boss fights are mostly good (except that completely pointless helicopter on Sundowner's fight), but it's not on the same level of action game as I hoped. Kind of just makes me want to replay DMC4, or even install DmC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyone know how well NGB runs on a 360? The thing I remember putting me off Sigma was that it doesn't have a New Game + mode, which is probably a dumb reason not to play a game but it's still something that really irks me. Actually, does NGB even have one? I'm suddenly realising I never even checked :p

NGB is... alright on the 360. There were more graphical glitches than I would have liked, but it's definitely playable.

That said, playing on an OG Xbox is unquestionably the better solution, if possible.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
No matter how good the next MGR is, you already know the "Revengeance" subtitle won't be topped. It's impossible.

Miker

Just finished Sam's DLC. Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and going back to Raiden will have me missing Sam's charging and air dashing. I love his voice actor, and I think I prefer that smooth Brazililan chuckle during Zandatsu to Raiden's "BULLSEYE!/DEAD ON!"

Armstrong was kind of tough, mostly with his charge grapples, but with taunting (that doesn't make that much of a difference because he's already pretty aggressive), you do more than enough damage to him. Plus slashing helicopters didn't require any precision and still gives you nanopastes.

I also loved the incredibly badass ending cutscene, and I felt it did a good job as a prequel. I'd love for Sam to make a cameo in the sequel somehow, as he's sorely underutilized in Revengeance.

Grief.exe

I'm having trouble calming myself down for a slow, atmospheric game like Metro: Last Light.

I've grown accustomed to metal music blaring and constantly parrying things at a blistering pace.

Clawww

I'm having trouble calming myself down for a slow, atmospheric game like Metro: Last Light.

I've grown accustomed to metal music blaring and constantly parrying things at a blistering pace.

I was totally mindfucked when playing CS earlier--I was attacking stuff with the knife and wondering why it wasn't getting cut into pieces

I try to keep myself to handheld games on the side while I'm playing something like Revengeance that requires me to keep up a certain level of skill, but it's not quite working this time. I'm hearing RULES OF NATURE every time I make an OBJECTION in Ace Attorney :p

Top Bottom