• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And of all the levels to reuse... the sewer level? Sam is cool as shit though.

I was kinda disappointed at the lack of new enemies/attacks more than anything. The bosses are re-purposed to take advantage of sam's kit.(basically they attack more frequently) but I think the only new attack is Armstrong's dash punch

but yeah wasn't exactly excited to see the sewers again either

I didn't find any of the Raiden VR Missions in MGR to be -that- hard really, the only problem is that a lot of them aren't very fun.

I think some of them get pretty unmanageable if you let them but JoeFenix(the only man on planet earth who enjoys the VR missions) is here so I'll probably lose that argument now.

So I'm inclined to agree just that they aren't very fun at all

Hmm, better localization is the words then, my bad. It is my favorite story from platinum, and one of my favorites in video games in general. It has the right amount of serious and not taking itself seriously, well developed characters, and good humor. Has the whole package.

Yeah I agree lol. I'm just making a deal about semantics for no reason don't mind me.

Way I just see it is that no one is really going to praise a PG game for writing. but the elements that bring the scripts to life like the voice direction and the way they translate jokes from Japanese are the important thing and what makes the games fun. and 101 is easily the best in those aspects out of all their games.

I hate to bring this up but here goes:

MGR vs. Ninja Gaiden..

which is better to you?

Ninja Gaiden. What it comes down to me is their unique features and I think the mobility in the NG games is unmatched in the genre, while the parry mechanic in Rising is extremely rough and Zandatsu I feel is a dead end idea.

Unfair comparison though considering the amount of revision that went into making Black what it is vs Rising which is a first attempt at making a game with another team's ideas at the core.

Uraizen

Banned
I don't know, I guess I'm just used to dealing with the camera. The mastiffs rarely give me any problem in 18 because you can always take out atleast one of them almost immediately. I don't use lock on other than on the GRAD.

Right, because they always start with the wall jump. The problem is sometimes the camera would refuse to cooperate if one was left and wouldn't let me turn it to find the other one in time.

Volcynika

I beat Armstrong with Sam without using taunt. I guess THAT'S why I hated that fight so much.

I think tonight after I get home and such I'll work on no-damaging Bladewolf's boss. Seems like it won't be too bad, was a pretty easy battle.

Dahbomb

I hate to bring this up but here goes:

MGR vs. Ninja Gaiden..

which is better to you?
Ninja Gaiden Black and probably even Ninja Gaiden 2 over MGR.

NGB is an instant classic of an action game. That game simply upscaled to the HD generation would still be better than MGR. Better combat, better controls/precision/camera, more options, better weapon system, highly challenging, better level design, longer plus it brought at many innovations as MGR did, maybe even more. It's just a much more solid product.

NG2 is closer to MGR and that's mainly because a better NG game already exists. NG2 didn't innovate that much but its still a baller action game. Fast paced, challenging, lots of weapon, brutal combat... but like MGR its rough around the edge. Its a hard call between the two but I would just barely edge out NG2.

Someone brought up the notion that comparing MGR to a revised NGB to be unfair and I would go further by saying that NG Vanilla is also better than MGR.

Black is always an awkward comparison because it improves a TON on the vanilla version (especially in the higher difficulties, they are totally rehauled). Most games don't get a chance to have like a year of polish post release. I played through Vanilla through Very Hard last year to see the differences and yeah it is pretty big.

Someone brought up the notion that comparing MGR to a revised NGB to be unfair and I would go further by saying that NG Vanilla is also better than MGR.

I would say that as well. NG is some god tier stuff even in vanilla.

Dahbomb

I would still take Vanilla NG over MGR. Game was an instant classic when it came out and the only game that was even comparable at the time was DMC1, the godfather of the genre.

The holy trinity of the action game genre is still NG1, Bayonetta and DMC3SE/DMC1. These are the benchmarks of the genre... for MGR to be better than NG1 it would have to be holy trinity quality.

I think MGR2 has potential though. Lots of polish would go a long way for the game.

DukeBobby

I think tonight after I get home and such I'll work on no-damaging Bladewolf's boss. Seems like it won't be too bad, was a pretty easy battle.

I'm currently trying this now. He does an unblockable spinning attack at about 35% health, which catches me off guard every goddamn time.

Other than that, it's easy enough.

EDIT:

z7wkVUA.jpg

Yay

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
FUCK.THIS.FIGHT.

I can now manage to evade almost every move Armstrong mades, but that fucking wall of fire he does is so cheap, not to mention the helicopters during phase transition always hit me.

I'm done, not going to do this again.
Until tomorrow.

Miker

I think NGB is the better game, but coming off the high of just beating Revengeance, I might say that I had more fun with Revengeance minute-to-minute. The last third of NG really wore me down with its level design, going from the underwater section to the ghost fish maze, and so on and so forth.

That said, NGB is one of my all-time favorites and deserves its place in the holy trinity. Revengeance is A-rank, imo, along with God Hand, as a rough, but still incredibly fun game.

The thing is you don't need to necessarily fish for the right AI reactions unless you really want to go super fast. There's nothing the enemies will do that you can't deal with, if the gecko doesn't charge you just air parry one of his kicks. The mastiffs have so many moves that you can easily perfect parry. You don't need to get lucky and wait for a double wall jump, it just saves time.

I agree about a Bloody Palace type mode though, I like the combat based VR missions because they are the closest thing that we get to a BP. I want more!

My experience with them hinged on getting top ranks on all of them, so yeah the time limits were a massive issue for me. VR18/19 are basically the only missions that don't have really absurd time limits, most of the combat missions (like the one with the gekko or any of the ones with generic goons) rely on getting the correct set of attacks and enemy placements to do well. VR18 depends almost entirely on the two fenrir AIs in that wave, since it's difficult to have both on the screen at once, and if you somehow get separated from the plasma cannon one you're in for a rough time. The Mastiff wave is more manageable, but it's still possible to get really obnoxious overlaps of moves.

I guess I want a mode where I get an opportunity to do cool things or fight interesting encounters, not "do this or lose immediately" like 90% of the VR missions end up being.

VR missions in this game were terrible, poorly balanced crap. It's a real shame since I really love the actual campaign.

VR missions were so fun back in MGS2. They only got obnoxious when you unlocked MGS1 Snake. Fuck those hold up missions lol.

OmegaZero

Man, I really want this, but I also have yet to sink my teeth into The Wonderful 101 (already purchased, just gotta download it). Which one should I focus on first?

EDIT: On the subject of NG, was anything changed gameplay-wise in Sigma compared to Black? I'm aware of the level changes, Rachel chapters and DCTF, just talking about combat system mechanics.

Armstrong's second form in the Sam campaign is pretty much what I imagined the complaints about the fight in the Raiden campaign to be.

What a load of artificial horseshit. He just cancels his attacks one into the other without giving any room to actually hit him aside from the flame bursts, this just ain't fun. At least they give me the checkpoint I guess.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
VR missions were trolls.

From secret passage ways and invisible platforms being the key to gold ranks for some reach the goal missions to things like throwing tripods in on every wave so you can't stand in place and parry in VR18

In my mind the VR Missions in MGR are PG's REVENGEANCE on all the people that bitched about Space Harrier in Bayonetta.

Dryk

I beat Armstrong with Sam without using taunt. I guess THAT'S why I hated that fight so much.
I hated the fight because I couldn't figure out that attack where he charges you covered in fire. He follows you into the air (so jumping doesn't work) and he can turn on a dime (so dodging doesn't work). Eventually I got better at evading his other attacks to the point where I could just nanopaste tank those attacks and eventually win.

Jintor

I hated the fight because I couldn't figure out that attack where he charges you covered in fire. He follows you into the air (so jumping doesn't work) and he can turn on a dime (so dodging doesn't work). Eventually I got better at evading his other attacks to the point where I could just nanopaste tank those attacks and eventually win.

Just d/o it twice or however many times he charges before he resets. The main problem is the camera tracking is horseshit.

You're supposed to taunt him?

Welp shit

Yeah, he won't use the grabs so much and he'll take way more damage.

Volcynika

VR missions were trolls.

From secret passage ways and invisible platforms being the key to gold ranks for some reach the goal missions to things like throwing tripods in on every wave so you can't stand in place and parry in VR18

In my mind the VR Missions in MGR are PG's REVENGEANCE on all the people that bitched about Space Harrier in Bayonetta.

I wouldn't have hated the Space Harrier bit as much if it wasn't required to do the best Jeanne fight.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You have to dodge as soon as it's about to hit you. This is what Sam's fast dodge was MADE to deal with.

Also it's best to try and keep yourself positioned in the center of the stage facing the flat edges of the stage. If you're too close to an edge the timing between strikes will be different(as he returns after he touches a wall) and it'll be harder to find the timing/rhythm to dodge.(I don't lock on when he does it for reasons that should be obvious)

and if you're facing a corner some times he'll bounce off the two walls that make the corner and the space time continuum fluctuates and there's no telling what the fuck will happen then.

Sometimes he gets stuck in the corner for the duration(I wonder if people have figured out how to reproduce this consistently) sometimes he'll just circle around you with that weird homing auto correct until he hits you. The move was buggy as fuck at launch lol

Gonna watch some more recent videos tonight and see if anything new has surfaced. People still seem to be playing the base game alot but no one seems to be doing the DLC. At least in my subs

I wouldn't have hated the Space Harrier bit as much if it wasn't required to do the best Jeanne fight.

Yo STOP they're watching us still

I love Space Harrier and VR Missions

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
YOU ARE HIRED, SON!

So much for going to bed. lol

Congrats though. Easily one of the most satisfying achievements in the game.

I did on Hard though, fuck Revengeance.

awwwwwwwww

This man just got hired as a temp.

I actually failed to complete it on hard. Only attempted Revengeance for the speed run trophy and that's when I got it lol

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So much for going to bed. lol

Congrats though. Easily one of the most satisfying achievements in the game.

awwwwwwwww

This man just got hired as a temp.

Will eventually do in Revengeance but for now i'm satisfied for being able to beat him without damage :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just messing with you. Shit's hard on hard too. Took me a couple days before I could do it

Only thing that changes on Revengeance is that his dash punch lasts a stupid long amount of time. If you can do it on hard you can do it on Revengeance too.

I really should go back get all the DLC trophies on PS3. It really fucking irks me that I only have 77% even though I have the Platinum lol.

The Bladewolf and Sam trophies should be simple enough. On the other hand, the DLC VR missions... I already have repressed memories trying to get first place on the original set, I don't think my heart can take those emotions resurfacing ;_;

The things in the sewers. The first one you meet is hiding on the ceiling. How the fk do you beat them? How the hell do you parry their attacks?

Rnr1224

So i finished the game on normal and all of the DLC as well. Figured id start on hard (even though ive heard its an average difficulty level). Loving it so far. Absolutely love being able to fight the bosses separately now without going through the entire level. Fought Armstrong and Mistral again to hear the kickass music! THIS GAME!!

Tecl0n

Damn it, I can't defeat final boss. It was all smooth sailing until now, I can't even make a dent to this wall. All of my attacks do so little damage, I can parry most of the stuff he throws, but every once in a while he will close me and leave me no place to dodge cause of the fire walls while he does the unblockable AoE.

Bladewolf's DLC was a million times better than Sam's. Better camera, a different focus for gameplay and a brand new boss. Loved it.

That being said if I'm forced to sit through the fucking unskippable credits one more goddamn time.
this advice helped me get through it.
If playing on hard you'll need to hit them with the second hit of run Y though, otherwise they'll dodge it most of the time.

JoeFenix

VR mission 4 with Sam on Revengeance... lol.

It's still fun if you aren't the type to get super frustrated but there's some grade A bullshit in there!

Miker

VR mission 4 with Sam on Revengeance... lol.

It's still fun if you aren't the type to get super frustrated but there's some grade A bullshit in there!

I'm thinking it might actually be easier on Revengeance with perfect parries. I've never played on Revengeance, though, so I could be wrong. On hard (and I'm guessing also very hard), everything has a ton of health unless you taunt.

JoeFenix

I'm thinking it might actually be easier on Revengeance with perfect parries. I've never played on Revengeance, though, so I could be wrong. On hard (and I'm guessing also very hard), everything has a ton of health unless you taunt.

Potentially but the damage taken would probably balance it out somewhat, even if you have 5 health nanos getting caught by a bullshit flamethrower attack from the bugs will eat up all your health on Revengeance. I didn't have many items but if you went in fully decked out it would be alot more manageable, without them it's borderline unfair at times.

I do have fun trying to figure out ways to deal with all the bullshit though, the core combat is satisfying enough that I want to keep trying. I ended up getting an A rank on it but couldn't get the S. I'll go back with more items next time, using Red Phosphorous grenades on a couple of waves would make it so much easier.

Fuck Armstrong to hell. Arena limiting followed up by AoE, 3 different moves with the same tell, bullshit half-second attacks that cut a third of your hp and no health items unless you perform a controller breaking blade mode segment.

Game's great, the camera could be better and I dislike how most of the late game enemies are sword-sponges but other then that it's well done.

Dryk

You have to dodge as soon as it's about to hit you. This is what Sam's fast dodge was MADE to deal with.

Also it's best to try and keep yourself positioned in the center of the stage facing the flat edges of the stage. If you're too close to an edge the timing between strikes will be different(as he returns after he touches a wall) and it'll be harder to find the timing/rhythm to dodge.(I don't lock on when he does it for reasons that should be obvious)
I must've been too close to the edge then because whenever I successfully dodged it he immeditately turned around and hit me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So, what's the deal with mashing the stick to escape moves or break out of stuns? It doesn't seem to matter at all how much you waggle the stick, but rather how soon you start. When I do successfully break out of moves, it's always been instantly after the prompt popped up and with very little movement.

antitrop

So, what's the deal with mashing the stick to escape moves or break out of stuns? It doesn't seem to matter at all how much you waggle the stick, but rather how soon you start. When I do successfully break out of moves, it's always been instantly after the prompt popped up and with very little movement.

It actually depends on your health, the lower you are, the more you have to waggle the stick.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

The more you are consecutively grabbed the harder it is to break

Just did the Monsoon fight. Holy shit. My arm hurts, I now understand how people can bust off the rubber stick. So much goddamn parrying.

Took a C rank though. Need to step my game up.

Oh, and that cut scene lead in was probably the coolest of the game so far.

Dryk

Just did the Monsoon fight. Holy shit. My arm hurts, I now understand how people can bust off the rubber stick. So much goddamn parrying.

Did you notice the cat?

Necrovex

I loved that moment in the game. It reminded me that I am playing a game in the Metal Gear universe.

Top Bottom