• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Regiruler

I loved that moment in the game. It reminded me that I am playing a game in the Metal Gear universe.

The setup to the monsoon fight is part of what makes it so good. Raiden just had his entire set of morals thrown off balance; at first he loses he will to fight, but loathing in self-doubt, he then realizes he now wants to do nothing more than kill the man responsible.

Clawww

I would still take Vanilla NG over MGR. Game was an instant classic when it came out and the only game that was even comparable at the time was DMC1, the godfather of the genre.

The holy trinity of the action game genre is still NG1, Bayonetta and DMC3SE/DMC1. These are the benchmarks of the genre... for MGR to be better than NG1 it would have to be holy trinity quality.

I think MGR2 has potential though. Lots of polish would go a long way for the game.

MGR2 could truly be great, I really really hope it happens

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MGR2 could truly be great, I really really hope it happens

Agreed. And based on the survey that they did, sales, and Kojima's overall attitude... I think that it's likely.

NGB vs. MGR is no contest. Ninja Gaiden Black is in the highest echelon of stylish character action gaming. MGR is too rough around the edges for something like that.

How did MGR do on consoles?

I think it did okay. Over a million close to launch, I think. No official numbers were released. Debuted better than DmC anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How did MGR do on consoles?

I'm pretty sure Kojima said he was happy with sales. I dunno. Unless it tanked, I don't see how they won't do another one. Platinum naturally needs work, and did an excellent job with the first game, one that was rushing to meet tight deadlines. Kojima has said that if Rising did well they'd be keen to turn it into its own series, and also noted if anybody were to handle future Rising games he'd want Platinum to do it. Ergo, if Rising sold well, and I'm pretty sure it did, then Konami/KojiPro would be down for a sequel and, unless they're busy, Platinum would be making it.

I'd go as far to say if Rising's initial sales were strong enough the decision to make a sequel has already been made and may already be worked on, in the earliest stages at the least.

EDIT: RE earlier discussion: I kinda don't count Rising in the same field as NGB and such because unlike those games it still feels a bit rushed and unfinished. Not necessarily in a bad way, but rougher parts of the design (bugs, balance, some boss encounters, etc), short length and asset reuse, and limited scope of many levels to me show a game that was exactly as we've been lead to believe; made on a tight budget/deadline, making up ground lost by KojiPro. So as much as I fucked loved it, Rising also feels a bit like a template I know can be something even better if given a full, relaxed development cycle.

JoeFenix

Agreed. And based on the survey that they did, sales, and Kojima's overall attitude... I think that it's likely.

NGB vs. MGR is no contest. Ninja Gaiden Black is in the highest echelon of stylish character action gaming. MGR is too rough around the edges for something like that.

MGR has so much potential but it's lacking alot of tuning and polish. NGB feels close to perfect, a true masterpiece.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm pretty sure Kojima said he was happy with sales. I dunno. Unless it tanked, I don't see how they won't do another one. Platinum naturally needs work, and did an excellent job with the first game, one that was rushing to meet tight deadlines. Kojima has said that if Rising did well they'd be keen to turn it into its own series, and also noted if anybody were to handle future Rising games he'd want Platinum to do it. Ergo, if Rising sold well, and I'm pretty sure it did, then Konami/KojiPro would be down for a sequel and, unless they're busy, Platinum would be making it.

I'd go as far to say if Rising's initial sales were strong enough the decision to make a sequel has already been made and may already be worked on, in the earliest stages at the least.

I believe Kojima said that only Platinum could do it. If Platinum's pre-occupied, Kojima might just wait it out.

KarmaCow

Just completed the Blade Wolf DLC and what a disappointment all around. Stealth is the most boring part of the game and having the entire DLC focused around it was really lame. Blade Wolf's moveset is also really limited and he's surprisingly slow and clunky. I did miss almost half the graded sections in the DLC but if it's more stealth like the part where you need to get past two GRADs on the bridge, I'll pass.

The boss fight with
Khamsin was also pretty rote and outside some weird times where he would speed up his actions seemingly randomly, it was easy to react to all his moves. Incorporating stealth takedowns into the fight was neat, but not enough to salvage an otherwise boring fight.

Also on Very Hard when they introduce new enemy spawns, the very first fight after the prologue adds a Mastiff. Did they intentionally use that enemy so that if you tried to just perfect parry the three soldiers at the start, you would get uber fucked by a flying Mastiff with no time to get your bearings, much less notice the Mastiff is gone and about to hit you off screen? Because that was both really annoying and kinda funny that they would exploit the bad camera to make the fight significantly harder.

Clawww

EDIT: RE earlier discussion: I kinda don't count Rising in the same field as NGB and such because unlike those games it still feels a bit rushed and unfinished. Not necessarily in a bad way, but rougher parts of the design (bugs, balance, some boss encounters, etc), short length and asset reuse, and limited scope of many levels to me show a game that was exactly as we've been lead to believe; made on a tight budget/deadline, making up ground lost by KojiPro. So as much as I fucked loved it, Rising also feels a bit like a template I know can be something even better if given a full, relaxed development cycle.

exactly my feelings. I was very forgiving towards it because of the circumstances surrounding its development, and what they've put out as a basis for a sequel is just phenomenal

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Metal Gear Rising 2.

Dual wielding blades.

Simultaneous free slicing with both thumb sticks in Blade Mode.

Well shit, I really don't feel like I can beat Armstrong. I'm playing on Hard and every other part of the game has been really easy compared to this one.

I've only gotten to the part where he chucks wreckage at me twice and I fucked it up HARD both times. Unless this fight has about fifty checkpoints in it I can't really see myself beating it.

antitrop

Well shit, I really don't feel like I can beat Armstrong. I'm playing on Hard and every other part of the game has been really easy compared to this one.

I've only gotten to the part where he chucks wreckage at me twice and I fucked it up HARD both times. Unless this fight has about fifty checkpoints in it I can't really see myself beating it.

If you can successfully cut the debris, the fight is all but over. If you can't, just Ninja Run away from it.

You can run under the debris instead of slicing it. Thank me later.

KarmaCow

I had just assumed those were 'use Blade Mode or you die' moments. Thanks!

You also don't need to line up all four boxes. That's what fucked me over when I was doing that fight, I kept running out of time trying to get all four boxes lined up. I don't know if they tell you that in game anywhere because I'm pretty sure you needed to get all four in the Sundowner fight.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You also don't need to line up all four boxes. That's what fucked me over when I was doing that fight, I kept running out of time trying to get all four boxes lined up. I don't know if they tell you that in game anywhere because I'm pretty sure you needed to get all four in the Sundowner fight.

They don't tell you anywhere in the game because they just purposely made that section more flexible since it's so hard. In every other scenario, you must hit all the boxes.

You can technically hit NONE of the boxes and still get the slice, as long as you're within the area and parallel to the shown cut.

FUCK.THIS.FIGHT.

I can now manage to evade almost every move Armstrong mades, but that fucking wall of fire he does is so cheap, not to mention the helicopters during phase transition always hit me.

I'm done, not going to do this again.
Until tomorrow.

Just ninja run when he does the wall of fire. Make extensive use of the dodge move too.

Dahbomb

If MGR2 happens (and I hope it does), it needs to have MORE blood than vanilla NG2. In fact, they should just call it MGR: The Abattoir.
I don't know if I can stomach that. With the amount of cutting you do in the game... imagine if the enemies were human and not cyborg. The blood would be everywhere if they made it realistic.

edit - nevermind, wrong fight

That part is annoying though. I hate any part where I'm forced to use the sticks for blade mode

Man fuck
the second encounter with Mistral and Monsoon, Mistral is cake but long and winded, then I get to Monsoon and get my ass torn to pieces

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The
Body Double
doesn't give you any IIRC.

And item hoarding for a boss fight isn't fun.

It's easy enough to bring along. All Raptors drop EMP grenades, I think. You shouldn't really need to be using them anywhere else.

Hoarding? It's 5 grenades. I pretty much had max items at all times because I never used any aside for Monsoon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know if I can stomach that. With the amount of cutting you do in the game... imagine if the enemies were human and not cyborg. The blood would be everywhere if they made it realistic.

I enjoyed backtracking through levels in NG2 and seeing a bloodtrail of carnage I unleashed through the level.

Regiruler

If my spoilers seem odd, it's just to hide the context since the origin post was all spoiled.
It's easy enough to bring along. All Raptors drop EMP grenades, I think. You shouldn't really need to be using them anywhere else.

Hoarding? It's 5 grenades. I pretty much had max items at all times because I never used any aside for Monsoon.

Not really hoarding, but you should be able to go into a
boss encounter
with no items other than a few nanopastes and expect to be able to beat it.

The
first monsoon fight
gives you the EMP grenades needed, for example.

I am so close to no damaging Monsoon, the only part of the fight I feel like I don't have control over is the latter phase zandatsu moments, don't know wtf keeps happening but something about the speed required to change stroke direction makes the deadzone act all weird and go from flick into draw.

Although banging my head against this wall over and over and over for hours has GREATLY improved my understanding of the game's combat mechanics, specifically parry cancels and dodge offsets.

TnK

Ninja Gaiden Black and probably even Ninja Gaiden 2 over MGR.

NGB is an instant classic of an action game. That game simply upscaled to the HD generation would still be better than MGR. Better combat, better controls/precision/camera, more options, better weapon system, highly challenging, better level design, longer plus it brought at many innovations as MGR did, maybe even more. It's just a much more solid product.

NG2 is closer to MGR and that's mainly because a better NG game already exists. NG2 didn't innovate that much but its still a baller action game. Fast paced, challenging, lots of weapon, brutal combat... but like MGR its rough around the edge. Its a hard call between the two but I would just barely edge out NG2.

Someone brought up the notion that comparing MGR to a revised NGB to be unfair and I would go further by saying that NG Vanilla is also better than MGR.
OK dahbomb, can you please explain to me the difference between NGSigma abd NGB?
Also, I had a lot more fun playing MGRR compared to NGS and NG2. The system in the NG games are leaps and bounds better than MGRR, but from a fun point of view, MGRR knows how to have more fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only items I used on my PC playthrough were boxes and EMP grenades for Monsoon. I think I used the anti-air missile a couple of tiles too in a few of the more heated encounters where the lock-on and camera was making hitting aerial targets a pain. Also only used the HFB.

Man, I really got too used to having a bunch of nanopaste for each of the previous bosses.

Got Armstrong down to 108.3% that time!

I nearly hit Alt+F4 when I realised what was happening when he glowed green.

Anteater

I use my rocket launcher every once in a while when i'm out of health while I yell "Fuck!" i don't even know it it does any damage but i use it anyway

I've never tried using the normal grenades, lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man, I really got too used to having a bunch of nanopaste for each of the previous bosses.

Got Armstrong down to 108.3% that time!

I nearly hit Alt+F4 when I realised what was happening when he glowed green.

Successful cuts of the debris will yield nanopastes for you. If you call Courtney and save, they'll be in your inventory the next time you die.

And for that other part, go behind him and Blade Mode.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just want my NGB vs. NGS answer you guys, asked it here twice ='(

NGS isn't bad. It's doesn't face nearly the same amount of criticism as NGS2. It's a serviceable port.

Besides the cosmetic differences, but there were tweaks like jumping arrows, the dual katana, and Rachel levels. Some enemy placement may have changed, and some weapon placement definitely did. I think the original NG and NG2 Easter Eggs are gone in Sigma, too.

It's been a really long time since I've played either, so it's not all that fresh for me. Rachel levels bothered some people, but I didn't really mind them.

Volcynika

No-damaged Khamsin or whatever, pretty easy when I didn't get caught by his grab.

Tried Armstrong with Sam and I just don't get it. I watched a video, I get the idea of how to approach it, but I just can't find much in the way of openings and attacks after taunting. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TnK

NGS isn't bad. It's doesn't face nearly the same amount of criticism as NGS2. It's a serviceable port.

Besides the cosmetic differences, but there were tweaks like jumping arrows, the dual katana, and Rachel levels. Some enemy placement may have changed, and some weapon placement definitely did. I think the original NG and NG2 Easter Eggs are gone in Sigma, too.

It's been a really long time since I've played either, so it's not all that fresh for me. Rachel levels bothered some people, but I didn't really mind them.
Oh, so I basically did experience NGB then, that's cool. I thought I played the easier version. I remember playing NGS a year after playing a lot of DMC3, and not finding it as fun as DMC3 by a long shot. It had one of the worst jumping mechanics in an action game, and had that one dreadful platforming sequence. Boss look were always cool though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh, so I basically did experience NGB then, that's cool. I remember playing NGS a year after playing a lot of DMC3, and not finding it as fun as DMC3 by a long shot. It had one of the worst jumping mechanics in an action game, and had that one dreadful platforming sequence. Boss look were always cool though.

Like I said, I'm going from memory, so maybe there's something obvious I'm forgetting.

The jumping's awkward at first for platforming , but once you get used to wall running, it works fine. In combat, jumping's never an issue at all. Wind path auto-targets enemies and lets you guillotine throw, flying swallow, or enemy step for an on-land UT charge.

It's just a different style of combat. Some folks will have more fun with DMC3's combat and others will prefer NGB's, but they're both masterful. And Ninja Gaiden II's is different still.

I just want my NGB vs. NGS answer you guys, asked it here twice ='(

NGB is completely optimized for XBOX. Runs and plays very smoothly. Has a lot of content (some removed in NGS, you have to look them up I don't remember). It's amazing from Team Ninja did with NGB and XBOX specs.

NGS is essentially a remastered HD, but the problem is the game has occasional in game loading - meaning, you are traversing one area from another like an open world, but for some reason the way the game was engineered, sometimes the game will literally pause and say "now loading," even when enemies are spawning. It's kind of hilarious.

NGS added playable character in Rachel, who is not really fun to play. And (this is not without googling) I also believe NGS is made a tad bit easier and more accessible...which some people find a turn off.

Personally, NGS is just fine, especially with its remastered HD graphics. It's quite stunning running 720p (i think it did 1080p also?) and 60fps and watch Ryu just killing fools. Oh, but NGS retains XBOX, low-res FMV. Like this

Basically, if you can play NGB, that's the definitive version - all the extras in NGS does not make NGS better.

TnK

Like I said, I'm going from memory, so maybe there's something obvious I'm forgetting.

The jumping's awkward at first for platforming , but once you get used to it, it's never really an issue. In combat, jumping's never an issue. Wind path auto-targets enemies and lets you guillotine throw, flying swallow, or enemy step for an on-land UT charge.

It's just a different style of combat. Some folks will have more fun with DMC3's combat and others will prefer NGB's, but they're both masterful. And Ninja Gaiden II's is different still.
Jumping isn't bad in combat at all, but that one platforming section really pissed me off. I find it odd the the only memories of the game I have are the horrible jump, skeleton dragon, some big slow zombie like enemy, the cool 2nd phase final boss who then becomes lame, and finally the big middle area in the town. Everything else is almost gone.

NGB is completely optimized for XBOX. Runs and plays very smoothly. Has a lot of content (some removed in NGS, you have to look them up I don't remember). It's amazing from Team Ninja did with NGB and XBOX specs.

NGS is essentially a remastered HD, but the problem is the game has occasional in game loading - meaning, you are traversing one area from another like an open world, but for some reason the way the game was engineered, sometimes the game will literally pause and say "now loading," even when enemies are spawning. It's kind of hilarious.

NGS added playable character in Rachel, who is not really fun to play. And (this is not without googling) I also believe NGS is made a tad bit easier and more accessible...which some people find a turn off.

Personally, NGS is just fine, especially with its remastered HD graphics. It's quite stunning running 720p (i think it did 1080p also?) and 60fps and watch Ryu just killing fools. Oh, but NGS retains XBOX, low-res FMV. Like this

Basically, if you can play NGB, that's the definitive version - all the extras in NGS does not make NGS better.
I did play the easier version then. That kinda sucks. I want to play NGB, but can never find a copy anywhere. I rememer beating NGS and thinking to myslf that it was not as hard as other people said it was. Could be because I did become better in action games by playing DMC1 and DMC3 a ton, or because of the reduced difficulty.

EDIT: I remembered one of the reasons on why NGS would be labled as easier, the game gave you Master Ninja on stages for doing anything, lol.

Jumping isn't bad in combat at all, but that one platforming section really pissed me off. I find it odd the the only memories of the game I have are the horrible jump, skeleton dragon, some big slow zombie like enemy, the cool 2nd phase final boss who then becomes lame, and finally the big middle area in the town. Everything else is almost gone.

I did play the easier version then. That kinda sucks. I want to play NGB, but can never find a copy anywhere. I rememer beating NGS and thinking to myslf that it was not as hard as other people said it was. Could be because I did become better in action games by playing DMC1 and DMC3 a ton, or because of the reduced difficulty.

Jumping is weird with NG - I have to give credit though, I feel like Itagaki, like Kamiya with DMC was aiming for a COMPLETE package in an action game - you got story (however lame it was), varied environment, level ups, hidden items, platforming, puzzles, different types of boss fights, etc.

Did you beat NGS on master ninja? I haven't and I did find it challenging...as well as the the missons, especially Eternal Legend

Edit: OMG I googled "DMC developer" and it gave me a picture of Ninja Theory logo on the top of its page -___-

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
EDIT: I remembered one of the reasons on why NGS would be labled as easier, the game gave you Master Ninja on stages for doing anything, lol.

Ninja Gaiden's always had a broken scoring system. I wouldn't put much stock in that.

I do vaguely remember that some balancing involved making the game easier, but I can't be sure. I don't think it's like a NG2->NGS2 difference, but I can't remember.

Edit: OMG I googled "DMC developer" and it gave me a picture of Ninja Theory logo on the top of its page -___-

Google "Devil May Cry Developer" instead.

Top Bottom