• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Revven

Hard is definitely the way to go the first time. It's exhilarating and challenging -- but if you want it even harder, do the Konami code and put it on Very Hard or Reveangence the first time.

Hypron

Hard is definitely the way to go the first time. It's exhilarating and challenging -- but if you want it even harder, do the Konami code and put it on Very Hard or Reveangence the first time.

And then people will give up on the game at the end of chapter 2... Better start on hard, the above difficulties are balanced for replays.

Revven

And then people will give up on the game at the end of chapter 2... Better start on hard, the above difficulties are balanced for replays.

Oh I'm aware. I didn't even try to do it without upgrades on VH or Revengeance (it was already pretty difficult even with the upgrades I had on those replays).

Coppanuva

Really tempting me to go Hard first time around... can I change mid-game if it's too much for me though? I played W101 and beat that on normal but found that challenging (though you could change difficulty mid-game with that). Think hard on MGRR would be too much?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really tempting me to go Hard first time around... can I change mid-game if it's too much for me though? I played W101 and beat that on normal but found that challenging (though you could change difficulty mid-game with that). Think hard on MGRR would be too much?

I believe you'd have to restart at Mission 0 on Normal if you wanted to reset difficulties. You can skip to any chapter of any difficulty you've completed thus far, but otherwise, you have to start at the beginning. Unfortunately, I don't know how hard W101 is, but Revengeance Hard mode really isn't too difficult. It just forces you to learn the mechanics of the game, which are a bit too easy to ignore on Normal.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I believe you'd have to restart at Mission 0 on Normal if you wanted to reset difficulties. You can skip to any chapter of any difficulty you've completed thus far, but otherwise, you have to start at the beginning. Unfortunately, I don't know how hard W101 is, but Revengeance Hard mode really isn't too difficult. It just forces you to learn the mechanics of the game, which are a bit too easy to ignore on Normal.

W101 is pretty hard at first since it's constantly throwing you new mechanics you need to master throughout, so it makes the first play-through more of a tutorial.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Huh, going back to those control setup recommendations, looks like I didn't play through the game with control type B, but instead C. Which is the same as A, only with the shoulder button functions swapped between triggers and shoulders.

I guess I didn't have a problem with the manual zantadsu. I just tried the B recommendation, having the camera right next to the buttons to be a bit awkward. I think because I used the manual vertical/horizontal zantadsu hits a lot, using the buttons instead of the stick, but still using the other stick to aim around.

Coppanuva

Hmm... hard it is. I'm up for a challenge, and I like action games. Thanks for the input.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
doesn't this screw up with the story?
i remember in bayonetta enemies appearing before their formal introduction,making all a bit awkward

Only on Very Hard/Revengeance does that happen. Hard, I thought, had mostly the same encounters as Normal. Either way they make sense.

I was going to pick this up through amazon with my amazon store card, but with region locked download stuff they will only let you use a major credit card :(

Damn!

TP

another giveaway
we can never have too many giveaways

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747872.
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metal Gear Rising 4 -- MB-ACBC773AD5F9D1FB
Metal Gear Rising 3 -- MB-60D04287807C85CE
Metal Gear Rising -- MB-08BBD06183E60B90
Metal Gear Rising 2 -- MB-AF33EF9D23AF9142

t1389308949z1.png

Before you enter please make sure you can run the game and that you plan on playing it
MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlogg

Revven

Hmm... hard it is. I'm up for a challenge, and I like action games. Thanks for the input.

I'd say W101 on Normal is about the equivalent to MGR on Hard. I've played both and W101 on Normal certainly felt like MGR did on Hard (partly because W101 throws a lot more at you and constantly changes things up whereas MGR stays mostly the same throughout). As long as you're quick to learn the mechanics (especially the parry in MGR), MGR on Hard should be just right for you.

Tiny bonus tip for controller users, clicking in the left stick while in blade-mode lets you walk forward/backward/strafe in blade mode. You can't move while Raiden is making a cut though.

Just thought I'd mention it since it isn't explained anywhere in the game or the manual.

HardRojo

Seriously go with Hard for the first time, it basically is what Normal is for most games, the gap between Hard and Revengeance though is somewhat ridiculous :p I had a hard time going through Revengeance mode.

Seik

Banned
another giveaway

Before you enter please make sure you can run the game and that you plan on playing it
MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlog

Woah, entered. I wanted to spend on the game in the first place but I'll give this a try, with a bit of luck maybe I'll save some money. :)

Thanks a lot!!!

does going hard change the enemies too like in bayonetta?or they are just more aggressive/resistent?

Stronger enemies sooner than normal, damage boost and aggressivity boost. Enemies try to kill you non-stop on later difficulties. In Revengeance difficulty your parry move gets powered up so when/if you land the counter, it does much more damage than normal.

I hope I can win something this time...

ModBot said:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Does that mean I can sent 4 pm, one with each line to participate on the 4 giveaways?

Nerokis

I just went through the beautiful OT, checked out a few videos, and then skimmed the thread with the OST in the background and I couldn't be more hyped. MGR brings both the character action genre and the MGS universe back into my life, and I couldn't be more excited.

So why oh why couldn't this be a midnight release?! By the time this is out I'll be on the road, and by the time I'm back home my semester will have started. I was seriously considering all nighting this game! Ah well. I suppose it's good I'm not going to be able to rush through it.

If you have a HORRIBLE time trying to get the mechanics of the game, play it on Easy. There's no shame in it. Once you do beat it on Easy once, go back through on Normal, then Hard, then challenge/treat yourself to Revengeance. You'll be happy you experienced this fantastic game.

TP

I hope I can win something this time...

Does that mean I can sent 4 pm, one with each line to participate on the 4 giveaways?

Yes, but you can only win one

I hope I set that up right, I used

NOWINNERSDAILY
MULTIENTRY
RAFFLE24

Raxus

Only on Very Hard/Revengeance does that happen. Hard, I thought, had mostly the same encounters as Normal. Either way they make sense.

Hard is just the normal encounters that do more damage. Very Hard and Revengeance has more difficult enemies in the stealth and battle sections.

Sliver

another giveaway

MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlog

Entered. One of the few MGS games I haven't played.

Not that I had trouble with parrying but for the people that do, figure it out before moving on into the game where it's assumed that you've got a good handle on it.

Jintor

Goddamnit, I'm so fucking hyped about this thing again. I can't believe I have to wait until tommorrow for it to unlock! GRRR

Top Bottom