• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Sam's parry animation is ridiculously short bullshit, and his parry window is even shorter and bullshitier.

Jet Stream Normal it is.

Run, roll and taunt instead of relying on parrying. Playing as Sam is almost a different game

And remember to run straight at the final boss and roll when they use their new attack. You'll know what that means when the time comes.

kudoboi

can't bring myself to complete the bladewolf DLC. the base game was amazing but the jetstream sam one and bladewolf so far are pretty terrible

Hypron

It seems I've been playing this game too much. I'm currently trying to get that title for finishing the game in hard without healthpacks and without dying, and I s-ranked with no damage both Mistral and Monsoon on my first try so far haha (I wasn't even going for ranks either). I remember really struggling with monsoon last year on the console version.

The parry only does around 40%, so not fast enough.

You can always cheese the non-boss with Armor Breaker or FOX Blade. It's such a cheap fight with all of the exploding shit and random factors.

Actually the exploding stuff ain't that bad. When a GRAD destroys a container you can just ninja-run around a mash x to cut the flaming pieces... to pieces, which prevents them from exploding.

Anteater

Either I've been exposed to too much Nintendo news, or too much MG Rising memes, now whenever I see Senator Armstrong, I see Iwata.

tipoo

Banned
Oh and whats with these bosses? I died like 10+ times on the AI Dog legitimately trying to parry and generally not play like a spaz. So for Mistral I drop all pretense of "skill" and mash away and win without even dying once. Huh??!

What difficulty are you guys playing on? Everyone says these two are challenging, but I consider myself a noob button masher at the game and blade wolf was a cake walk and I didn't take much damage with Mistral either and also considered her a cakewalk, never died with either of them, both on normal.

In fact, the only place I've died was that falling bridge, lol. I don't think ever in combat.

Westraid

Just started this so while I can't really give a good opinion yet, this game made a great first impression so far. Last game that made me feel this bad ass was Bayonetta.

Played a few of the older MGS games, but that was years ago, and I missed too many games to know everything that happened. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem while playing.
Unlike the majority of the players, I never minded Raiden as a playable character in MGS2, so I have zero problems with him being the protagonist again.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter four, considering going stealth for the first time. Soo many rpg launchers and mech dogs and hammer guys in the section where I'm supposed to cut the power panels

can't bring myself to complete the bladewolf DLC. the base game was amazing but the jetstream sam one and bladewolf so far are pretty terrible

Sam is fun once you figure it out. His Blade Wolf fight is better than Raiden's, and you can make a joke out of Ray. Armstrong is still dumb and unfun, though. But since the whole thing can be beaten casually in half an hour after the first time, it's something to do between playthroughs as Raiden. Blade Wolf's dlc though. His combat is way too shallow.

Why do people still recommend parry against Monsoon? You can't hit him effectively with the parry until the third phase, at which point you should be using EMP grenades, and even then the parry doesn't actually damage him. The actually tricky part of Monsoon is blocking/ avoiding his combo, and MAGNETIC FORCE, JACK. NATURE'S FORCE.

I can't figure out why I can't destroy the debris that give nanopaste in the armstrong fight. I simply can't slice it correctly. What am I doing wrong?

He throws debris.

Time slows down.

I press left trigger, and then I press X and Y to spam the attacks. Why do I fail??

im gonna try using defensive offensive and see if it helps. but Armstrong is frustrating:(

I can't figure out why I can't destroy the debris that give nanopaste in the armstrong fight. I simply can't slice it correctly. What am I doing wrong?

He throws debris.

Time slows down.

I press left trigger, and then I press X and Y to spam the attacks. Why do I fail??

im gonna try using defensive offensive and see if it helps. but Armstrong is frustrating:(

You have to the rocks with one slice each. You need to highlight every box, then cut. Kind of sucks.

I've parried all of Monsoon's attacks and never seen it happen on any no damage videos either. How do you damage him with the riposte?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

He throws debris.

Time slows down.

How did you even beat Sundowner?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
no the amount of his cutscene interludes / smoke grenade attack usage drag the pace of the battle down, its a really dull boss on replays

Yeah, Monsoon suffers from repeat plays. A lot of people feel that way, but I think that's okay.

Monsoon is still a great fight the first time around simply because it's a rollercoaster ride with a huge amount of variety thrown at you. I still remember being amazed the first time I played the game because you were never sure what was coming next.

Once that mystery is gone, the fight involves a lot of waiting and pre-scripted events. But even if the fight suffers through repeated playthroughs, it still helped to make that first run special and satisfying.

SoulUnison

Banned
no the amount of his cutscene interludes / smoke grenade attack usage drag the pace of the battle down, its a really dull boss on replays

Yeah, for all the hype it got before release and the just plain awesome nature of Monsoon's ability I found him to be by far the most boring boss battle in the game. He also has the worst boss theme music.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, for all the hype it got before release and the just plain awesome nature of Monsoon's ability I found him to be by far the most boring boss battle in the game. He also has the worst boss theme music.

The lyrics kicking in during Monsoon's fight is one of my favorites. I'm not sure why. It just seems like perfect timing.

He also has the worst boss theme music.

face_slap_in_slow_motion-2100.gif

How did you even beat Sundowner?

That's kindve the problem with Sundowner. It seems to be the tutorial for precise cuts, but you can subvert the entire mechanic by just attacking him from the back until he dies, skipping the vocal track and making the fight really boring. Without doing Sundowner properly the final boss isn't going to make much sense.

jett

D-Member
The Sundowner fight is one of several things in this game proves how rushed it is. You can so easily skip most of it without even trying.

He throws debris.

Time slows down.

You have to manually align the angle of your slice with both analog sticks, and then let go(or press X) when your slice is just over three pink squares at least. It baffles me that you don't know how to do this. Alternately, you can just dash under them as soon as you see Armstrong start leaping into the background, you'll just skip the whole bit.

i assume at some point someone at platinum figured out how shit the monsoon fight was because of all the cutscenes and then the fight with the monsoon double later in the game was born with no cutscene interludes.

you still have to wait through his boring smoke grenade move but I appreciate it being there

The Sundowner fight is one of several things in this game proves how rushed it is. You can so easily skip most of it without even trying.
Eh, I think it's pretty obviously a [bad] design choice. Monsoon is the completely opposite where you can't skip phases at all because his health won't go past certain numbers.

Hypron

Beating the game without dying, does it only count in ranked battles, or any situation in the game?

Any situation, you can't die at all. Last time I attempted it I got killed by one of Armstrong's debris D:

I'll probably make a back up save before the Part where you run up the building in chapter 4 and before armstrong. I don't want to die stupidly there (again).

Any situation, you can't die at all. Last time I attempted it I got killed by one of Armstrong's debris D:

I'll probably make a back up save before the Part where you run up the building in chapter 4 and before armstrong. I don't want to die stupidly there (again).

I randomly had trouble with the part where you run up the building too until I realised you can hold back (down) on the analogue stick to slow down

Sundowner would be a good fight if not for 1. The helicopters. Why are these here? They're basically no threat and just waste time running over periodically to destroy one when you're going for no damage, 2. The pointless slider section. Looks cool, not interesting to play and just makes the fight seem anti-climactic. And 3. The cutting system is too slow and awkward to bother making precise cuts, so you just use the sai against him, attack him from behind, or cut his shields off after blocking his ramming attack. Again, the game badly needs cut mapped to the triggers/ bumpers during blade mode, because it rarely stays in place when you move the stick in the opposite direction to cut, and gently letting go to press the face button is dumb, and not fast enough.

And don't say "just let go of the stick," because that's far from reliable for keeping your cut where it was supposed to be.

And don't say "just let go of the stick," because that's far from reliable for keeping your cut where it was supposed to be.
It is if you do it right. If it's reliable enough to risk at the end of a live AGDQ speed run it's reliable enough for anyone.

There are control options that make it really simple to make precise cuts but they aren't neccessary

Hypron

Sundowner would be a good fight if not for 1. The helicopters. Why are these here? They're basically no threat and just waste time running over periodically to destroy one when you're going for no damage, 2. The pointless slider section. Looks cool, not interesting to play and just makes the fight seem anti-climactic. And 3. The cutting system is too slow and awkward to bother making precise cuts, so you just use the sai against him, attack him from behind, or cut his shields off after blocking his ramming attack. Again, the game badly needs cut mapped to the triggers/ bumpers during blade mode, because it rarely stays in place when you move the stick in the opposite direction to cut, and gently letting go to press the face button is dumb, and not fast enough.

If you use control scheme B you can use the face buttons to cut stuff.

I'm about halfway thru the game on hard mode and I'm going to start over on normal. The combination of the terrible camera and my ability to not grasp how to play the game is killing me. Anyone who says hard mode is the way to go on your very first play thru is a liar. You are not even given a chance to even understand how the game works before they throw Mastiffs your way. I guess that's what normal mode is for, to understand how to play the fricken game. I never had nearly these problems playing any of the DMCs or Bayonetta. Sorry for the venting, but I'm mad at everyone saying how hard is the perfect starting difficulty when it isn't.

If you use control scheme B you can use the face buttons to cut stuff.

I've played 50 hours without even looking at the other control schemes, and I mainly use left analog to aim for the red square. What do?

I'm about halfway thru the game on hard mode and I'm going to start over on normal. The combination of the terrible camera and my ability to not grasp how to play the game is killing me. Anyone who says hard mode is the way to go on your very first play thru is a liar. You are not even given a chance to even understand how the game works before they throw Mastiffs your way. I guess that's what normal mode is for, to understand how to play the fricken game. I never had nearly these problems playing any of the DMCs or Bayonetta. Sorry for the venting, but I'm mad at everyone saying how hard is the perfect starting difficulty when it isn't.

I would only say to play on Hard because Normal and Hard are the same thing aside from damage.
And people who say to play on Hard are probably the sort of people who play a game once and then are done with it. If you're going to play this game repeatedly, I don't think it matters whether you do Normal or Hard. You won't understand anything your first playthrough anyway, and playing on Hard just makes it more frustrating.

Hypron

I've played 50 hours without even looking at the other control schemes, and I mainly use left analog to aim for the red square. What do?

With control scheme B I use the right stick to orient the camera and the left stick to choose the orientation of my next slash. Then I let go of the right stick and use X or Y to perform the slash. I don't have to deal with flicking sticks across that way.

I would only say to play on Hard because Normal and Hard are the same thing aside from damage.
And people who say to play on Hard are probably the sort of people who play a game once and then are done with it. If you're going to play this game repeatedly, I don't think it matters whether you do Normal or Hard. You won't understand anything your first playthrough anyway, and playing on Hard just makes it more frustrating.

Hard is different in more respects than just damage, the perfect parry window is way more lenient on normal and enemies are less aggressive. Tbh I found hard to be a good difficulty to start with. The game would have been too easy otherwise. I only had trouble with Monsoon and Arnstrong during my first play through and that's only because I thought this game was like DMC/Bayonetta and using items was basically like using cheat codes. Being able to use nano pastes would have made those two fights a lot easier.

Top Bottom