• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Square Triangle said:
Nooo! That's not dirt, its a sharpie marker mark. I'm sorry my hamds aren't gorgeous enough =[

Don't let him get to you. You have nice hands. :(

Anyway, I'm stuck on the tank in the demo. Try to take out the dudes around it, the reinforcements come and spot me as I'm dealing with the "forward" dude near the tank. ARGH.

Trying to take the tank out (with the gas tanks) is an exercise in frustration as the aiming system sucks. Having to use the D-pad for aiming instead of the nub, argh.

Also the item selection menu kinda sucks. Having to use the D-pad instead of the analog nub is annoying. :|

TheSeks

Is there anyway to make the item selection like Portable Ops? (Hold LT/item selection button and D-pad/buttons the item you want have it marked and release LT/item selection button to equip it)

I guess I should try the default/shooter controls, but having the action button on the d-pad just seems really wonky, same for the item selections and staying on the ground.

Also is there anyway to make the aim system be put on the nub? It would be faster than jumping to the D-pad and overshooting my mark with the wonky D-pad aiming speed. *sigh*

Varth

TheSeks said:
Don't let him get to you. You have nice hands. :(

Anyway, I'm stuck on the tank in the demo. Try to take out the dudes around it, the reinforcements come and spot me as I'm dealing with the "forward" dude near the tank. ARGH.

Actually after you realize where are the soldier spawn points it becomes a piece of cake. Just put on sneaking suit, run behind them, hold them up, and fulton them in an order that makes you close to a hiding place after the last one. 2-3 sets of guards then blow gas tanks and shoot a little at the "wheels" (can't remember the right word: caterpillars?) to make the captain pop up. 4-5 minutes tops. Also, smoke grenades are a MUST in boss fights.

TheSeks

Varth said:
Actually after you realize where are the soldier spawn points it becomes a piece of cake. Just put on sneaking suit, run behind them, hold them up, and fulton them in an order that makes you close to a hiding place after the last one. 2-3 sets of guards then blow gas tanks and shoot a little at the "wheels" (can't remember the right word: caterpillars?) to make the captain pop up. 4-5 minutes tops. Also, smoke grenades are a MUST in boss fights.

Sneaking suit in the demo only has stun grenades?

The dealing with enemies in close quarters isn't a problem (minus fultoning them by crouching on them. Why can't the action context just come up?)

The shitty aiming/gun controls is the thing that is annoying the hell out of me. Port Ops was pretty good in gun play as it had a half lock on/half manual aim system, but here... :|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Son of a... I want to play this so much right now... :(

I ordered it from the OP site, I hope it doesn't take 2+ weeks :(

Oh can anyone comment on how it looks playing on a TV screen? Finding the cables for the PSP-3000 has been a surprising pain in the ass (in terms of local shops), so I figure I have to get it off Amazon. Any recs on 3rd Party ones (if they exist)?

seady

Fuck!
I didn't know the bundle is only for preorder.
I waited so long ever since the bundle was announced, going to get it on release day in store. Now they tell me it won't be available?!
It's fxxking retarded that they won't even sell it the first day it comes out.

I need to stop watching the stream, it's killing me. Two days away!

Also anyone wanting to dominate some advoc add me on PSN, got one buddy gettting it-but only for the Monster Hunter play. Also do you have to do anything to unlock the MH mode or is it already available at the start of the game?

kingslunk said:
Has anyone went to a gamestop and asked if they can preorder the big boss pack in store?

Pre-orders on the CE and Big Boss Bundles ended on Friday. You'll have to ask if any extras were shipped and convince the employee to hold it for ya =p

kingslunk said:
Has anyone went to a gamestop and asked if they can preorder the big boss pack in store?

I originally preordered mine in the store when it was announced. Then I went to check it a month later to make sure I wasn't getting the green one.

At this point? Maybe. There might just be a certain number shipping to stores whether or not people preordered it, and preordering it might ensure that you get it.

TheSeks

Square Triangle said:
Also anyone wanting to dominate some advoc add me on PSN, got one buddy gettting it-but only for the Monster Hunter play. Also do you have to do anything to unlock the MH mode or is it already available at the start of the game?

You have to do something to unlock it. And if he's only getting it for that, he'll be sorely disappointed as there is only... four-five missions for that?

Also tried the shooter controls out. They're not bad, but I don't like them. Forgetting that LT isn't camera reset is annoying. I do like being able to move/aim at the same time (but wish they'd move move to the buttons as that makes more sense than the wonky aiming on the buttons)

I did notice you can change grenade throw/hand/view with the equip buttons (L/R D-PAD) with that scheme. Action (the MGS:pO control scheme-like option) doesn't let you do that. WTF, Kojima? :|

Going to try the other two schemes out when I get the game when it pops on PSN on Tuesday. But, action seems to be the best for me. The only thing I hate is the shitty gunplay controls with it. But I guess I'll suck it up and use CWCheat or something for the boss battles. *siiigh*

Varth

TheSeks said:
Sneaking suit in the demo only has stun grenades?

The dealing with enemies in close quarters isn't a problem (minus fultoning them by crouching on them. Why can't the action context just come up?)

The shitty aiming/gun controls is the thing that is annoying the hell out of me. Port Ops was pretty good in gun play as it had a half lock on/half manual aim system, but here... :|

Oh, sorry. I read it as "i'm currently at the part seen in the demo". Sad to hear you don't like controls, but I think there's still hope. I thought the demo controls were wonky, too, but ended up having no problem at all in the final version. IIRC (EDIT: confirmed) you don't have to crouch to fulton people, found much less inertia on the guns, and there's a slight aim assist on human targets when in medium range.

thefil

Finally got my copy last night, and after about eight hours of straight playing my PSP's analog nub suddenly developed a horrible deadzone. :lol So now I randomly sneak when I mean to run.

So far the game is so polar in my mind. I really like it, but I'm constantly disappointed by the missing actions (dragging soldiers, lockers, etc) and the fact that you can't carry enough items. Some of the environments also aren't really conducive to creativity, and the AI is a little dumb. My favourite part of Metal Gear has always been shenanigans with stealth, so having fewer options at any given time is painful.

Of course, all of that is in comparison to MGS3: Subsistence. Compared to 4, this game is largely equal, if only by virtue of being completely sneaking missions (Act 3/4, I'm looking at you). As negative as I sound, I really do love it - I'm just a critical person.

Plus, the bosses are very cool.

seady

kingslunk said:

I went to 3 different ones yesterday, all of the said no.
One of them actually tricked me into preordering one. I asked specifically for Big Boss Bundle and he placed my preorder with $25. But as I got onto my car I thought what if he preordered the ugly green one for me. So I went back inside the store and asked clearly if he didn't put me in with the ugly green one, and as I expected, he preordered the ugly green one for me. Then he admitted the Big Boss Bundle is out of preorder a long while ago. I was so disappointed not only for the Big Boss Bundle, but got tricked by him.

kingslunk

seady said:
I went to 3 different ones yesterday, all of the said no.
One of them actually tricked me into preordering one. I asked specifically for Big Boss Bundle and he placed my preorder with $25. But as I got onto my car I thought what if he preordered the ugly green one for me. So I went back inside the store and asked clearly if he didn't put me in with the ugly green one, and as I expected, he preordered the ugly green one for me. Then he admitted the Big Boss Bundle is out of preorder a long while ago. I was so disappointed not only for the Big Boss Bundle, but got tricked by him.

Are you going to get the ugly green one? Or do you already have a psp. I'm trying to decide..

TheSeks

thefil said:
Of course, all of that is in comparison to MGS3: Subsistence. Compared to 4, this game is largely equal, if only by virtue of being completely sneaking missions (Act 3/4, I'm looking at you). As negative as I sound, I really do love it - I'm just a critical person.

Plus, the bosses are very cool.

Yeah, I really love 3:S. Coming to this with expectations that it'll control (well, nearly control) similar to it, I'm disappointed with the gunplay. Port Ops ported MGS3:S controls pretty well, I feel. Minus the lack of camo (which wasn't a dealbreaker with Port Ops as you simply recruited dudes), it was pretty good. Press button for first person view, have lock-on automatically (unless in multiplayer which had an option to turn it off/on in your server).

This is trying to have a MGS4 over the shoulder aiming system, which is admirable, but doesn't really work with the PSP (unless playing on the go and the right stick/DS3 support is supported?). Which drags the gunplay down and makes the controls really frustrating for me.

Still, this is 20x better than Portable Ops as recruiting/leveling up dudes isn't the point of the experience. It's getting through the levels stealthy.

but I think there's still hope. I thought the demo controls were wonky, too, but ended up having no problem at all in the final version. IIRC (EDIT: confirmed) you don't have to crouch to fulton people, found much less inertia on the guns, and there's a slight aim assist on human targets when in medium range.

Well good. I'm still getting the game for the storyline/because I love Big Boss over Solid Snake, but the demo controls are the only frustrating thing about it for me. If they fixed these between when the demo released (six months ago) to the final, it can only be a good thing/pleasant surprise for me.

So anyone with comments on how good TV Output with PW is?

TheSeks said:
Still, this is 20x better than Portable Ops as recruiting/leveling up dudes isn't the point of the experience. It's getting through the levels stealthy.
Well I would say it's better based on the controls alone. I have to say I do like the recruiting troops and such. In a way solo BB missions just can't keep going on. I mean this guy eventually ran a Merc nation. Still, few would ever think to introduce that into a game.

Hey, NYC GAF...
29740_595014943389_26803553_34355741_1690071_n.jpg

:D

B.K.

Square Triangle said:
Pre-orders on the CE and Big Boss Bundles ended on Friday. You'll have to ask if any extras were shipped and convince the employee to hold it for ya =p

People are already selling the Collector's Edition on Ebay for almost $100. I wish I hadn't forgotten it. :/

JohngPR

I'm bummed that I didn't get the CE, but getting the standard one for $29.99 because of the $10 credit I had via Amazon isn't a bad deal. Not only that, but the game itself came with a $10 credit so essentially I'm paying $19.99 for it.

Besides, I already have one Big Boss era "special edition" that I covet:

photo-24.jpg

Revolutionary said:
It's most likely a Canadian copy. That's occasionally how the NYC Mom & Pops get their copies early.

It's nationwide. I'm in Michigan and all the copies they sent to my store also has the ESRB with french.

kingslunk

So I went to my gamestop they have one available but the PC wouldn't let him save it for me so he told me to come tuesday morning. When I show up.. (i will be first in line) and they dont have one im going to be beyond pissed.

Yoshi256

Banned
Review embargos for PSP games make so much sense.
The hype in GAF is unbelievable. NOT.

I hope it runs with 5.00 M33-6, don't wanna update to 5.50 GEN.

$100 for the Peace Walker bundle on eBay? I'm about to reshrinkwrap mine and hold onto it for a while. Sounds good since I'm getting the Big Boss Bundle anyhow!

Who the fuck spends $250 on one game?

<-----

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Ya lost me on that one, my friend...? hahaha. French?

In the ESRB rating. Mine from VGNY is like that too. Meaning the US PW is designed to go to Canada also (the back mentions English, Spanish, and French Language options) or they sourced it from a Canadian distro source. I know VGNY sometimes sources some games from Asian editions (meant for HK) as it's the same as the Japanese ones, but cheaper.

It's most likely that Konami did a version that could be shipped anywhere in North America to cut down on manufacturing and distribution costs.

Square Triangle said:
It's nationwide. I'm in Michigan and all the copies they sent to my store also has the ESRB with french.
Wow, that's... weird, to say the least. I'd expect to see Spanish on the ESRB ratings in the States over French. Are you sure your supplier isn't in Toronto or something? :lol

And its not just the ESRB info, all the marketing on the back is in English, French and I think Spanish. Like Super Mario Galaxy 2's backing. It's super lame but super cheap for Konami.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
In the ESRB rating. Mine from VGNY is like that too. Meaning the US PW is designed to go to Canada also (the back mentions English, Spanish, and French Language options) or they sourced it from a Canadian distro source. I know VGNY sometimes sources some games from Asian editions (meant for HK) as it's the same as the Japanese ones, but cheaper.

It's most likely that Konami did a version that could be shipped anywhere in North America to cut down on manufacturing and distribution costs.
Wow, never would have noticed if you guys didn't point that out. I was wondering why the hell half of the manual was in French. Well, there's my answer!

TheSeks

Revolutionary said:
Wow, that's... weird, to say the least. I'd expect to see Spanish on the ESRB ratings in the States over French. Are you sure your supplier isn't in Toronto or something? :lol

You've been under a rock these past three years or something?

Most games now a days are getting Spanish/French/English instruction manuals/boxes. It's stupid, but blame Canada for that infecting the US.

Soon we'll be talking in French and spending Euro's.

DAMN YOU EUROPE!

thefil

Well, I'm 14.5 hours in and I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end (meaning one or two missions left). For some reason, the game seems to be taking waaayyyy longer than it feels. I don't feel like I've been on that many missions, really.

Mind you, probably 4+ hours of that is just listening to mission briefings...

Minamu

I'm not seeing any French :S There's text above the ESRB that's too small for me to see but above that it just says Teen/Adolescents and that's not French?

Deadly

Square Triangle said:
And its not just the ESRB info, all the marketing on the back is in English, French and I think Spanish. Like Super Mario Galaxy 2's backing. It's super lame but super cheap for Konami.
I hate it when they do this, it clutters everything on the back. On the bright side, the front doesn't seem to have everything translated and only has English.
Minamu said:
I'm not seeing any French :S There's text above the ESRB that's too small for me to see but above that it just says Teen/Adolescents and that's not French?
Adolescents is also a French word. If it were English only, they'd only write Teen.

JohngPR

I'll get the game on release day (thanks Amazon!) but I'll have to wait to play it until Wednesday. :(

I ordered a 16GB memory stick and have to wait to play it until then.

sotodefonk said:
wait what? this is true? why it doesnt use wireless like monster hunter?

It's partly true. PS3 only has one wireless channel, so it can't have a wireless connection to a PSP and then a wireless connection to your router. You need to have a wired internet connection on your PS3 to use Adhoc Party.

Also, now we can finally say "the day after tomorrow." That's always a big landmark in a hype
countdown for me. :D

JohngPR said:
I'm bummed that I didn't get the CE, but getting the standard one for $29.99 because of the $10 credit I had via Amazon isn't a bad deal. Not only that, but the game itself came with a $10 credit so essentially I'm paying $19.99 for it.

Besides, I already have one Big Boss era "special edition" that I covet:

photo-24.jpg

Oh man, do you have disc 3 Existence with that? I've been looking everywhere trying to find it. My mom actually really likes Metal Gear and she watched me play through all of 1 and all of 2. She really wanted to see 3, but I didn't wanna play it for her to watch and she's not good enough at video games to do it herself. So I've been trying to find disc 3 of that for a long time so she could finally see it! :lol

autobzooty said:
It's partly true. PS3 only has one wireless channel, so it can't have a wireless connection to a PSP and then a wireless connection to your router. You need to have a wired internet connection on your PS3 to use Adhoc Party.
Oh, I got it now :lol I thought he was talking about a wired PSP to my PS3 using an USB cable :lol

Minamu

Deadly said:
Adolescents is also a French word. If it were English only, they'd only write Teen.
Aah, sure, no need to say the same thing twice I guess :) I knew it has a French origin, wasn't sure about the spelling there.

Colocho

Banned
How come every single MGS (1, 2, 3, 4 and PO) has been rated M and PW is rated T?

Anyway, I'm not too hyped for this one even though Metal Gear is my favorite series, I'm still getting it day 1, but the hype is just not there I don't know why, hopefully it turns out great and I end up loving it.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:
You've been under a rock these past three years or something?

Most games now a days are getting Spanish/French/English instruction manuals/boxes. It's stupid, but blame Canada for that infecting the US.

Soon we'll be talking in French and spending Euro's.

DAMN YOU EUROPE!

Hi there.

Top Bottom