• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Colocho said:
How come every single MGS (1, 2, 3, 4 and PO) has been rated M and PW is rated T?

Anyway, I'm not too hyped for this one even though Metal Gear is my favorite series, I'm still getting it day 1, but the hype is just not there I don't know why, hopefully it turns out great and I end up loving it.

From what I've heard, Kojima expects more kids to play this one since it's on a handheld so he wanted a T rating. And from the impressions people have given of the game, that doesn't really affect the themes of the game at all. Basically it means no blood and they replaced your knife with a cattle prod (which I think is kinda dumb because the soldiers don't struggle when you put them in a head lock even though there's no knife there to cause them immediate harm).

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
From what I've heard, Kojima expects more kids to play this one since it's on a handheld so he wanted a T rating. And from the impressions people have given of the game, that doesn't really affect the themes of the game at all. Basically it means no blood and they replaced your knife with a cattle prod (which I think is kinda dumb because the soldiers don't struggle when you put them in a head lock even though there's no knife there to cause them immediate harm).

How do you hold them up with the Stun rod in the demo? I equip the rod, and try to hold them with CQC but Snake is only holding them with his hand/arm.

Vamphuntr said:
How do you hold them up with the Stun rod in the demo? I equip the rod, and try to hold them with CQC but Snake is only holding them with his hand.

I believe Snake grabs them and holds them with the same hand that holds his stun rod, so technically it's always somewhat close to them. My issue is that the thing is not sharp in the least, and the enemy probably has no clue what it is, yet they just fall limp in your arms like a flirty dinner date or something. If it was a knife, they wouldn't struggle, but since it's just a plastic stick, you'd think they'd offer some resistance. :lol

But I guess that's not your question. :p In the full game, you can stick the thing into their neck and interrogate them, but this feature isn't in the demo. Also, Snake won't automatically start choking them in the full game, you'll have control of that as well.

Varth

autobzooty said:

I guess getting electrocuted on the larynx would kill you anyway by making you swallow your tongue.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
But I guess that's not your question. :p In the full game, you can stick the thing into their neck and interrogate them, but this feature isn't in the demo. Also, Snake won't automatically start choking them in the full game, you'll have control of that as well.

Thank you! I tried every button combinations last night and was pretty frustrated that I couldn't do it.

So, is this game full of "missables", stuff you need to know how to get beforehand otherwise you'll probably get screwed out of getting it forever? Can you redo missions? Especially story missions? Or do you have to just go straight through like a regular Metal Gear game? Just wondering if I need to be consulting a guide or something, or if I can always go back and correct mistakes

robotzombie said:
So, is this game full of "missables", stuff you need to know how to get beforehand otherwise you'll probably get screwed out of getting it forever? Can you redo missions? Especially story missions? Or do you have to just go straight through like a regular Metal Gear game? Just wondering if I need to be consulting a guide or something, or if I can always go back and correct mistakes

I believe all missions are replayable because that's where a lot of the coop experience is gonna come from. Naturally you could do that single player too, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing items, though I couldn't tell you how much there actually is to miss. It seems like most of the badass weapons you get are created by your researchers at the Mother Base.

BTW guys if you are interested in the guide its one of those mini spiral notebook looking guides like what Bad Company 2 and Red Steel 2 have. It sucks its not a normal one but it is cheaper.

Varth

Does anybody know how many chapters this game contains?

4 chapters. 5th one is the aftergame.

robotzombie said:

You're actually encouraged to replay them, since the increment in heroism and the countless emblems unlock extra missions and let you enlist better soldiers, and the weapons "level up" when you use them. I'll have probably to consult a guide to make the most of the game, since some of the requirements I read to unlock some stuff are pretty crazy. That's something I strongly suggest to do AFTER you beat the game, however.

JohngPR

Thanks for all the info Square Triangle. Much appreciated.

You know what, I think it's time I change my Raiden icon. :)

thefil

Just beat the game. Listening to Heaven's Divide over the credits now - it's probably my favourite of the Metal Gear vocal themes.

I actually really enjoyed the plot (I didn't expect to). For once, there's actually a really good reason given for the existence of a "Metal Gear" device (and it's finally given a name that makes sense in context). The bad guy was slightly less one-dimensional than in previous Metal Gears, though the voice actor makes him seem like arr harr I am bad guy. There's
a little corniness at the end
, but that's to be expected of the series.

Final non-plot thoughts: VERY MGS4. From the more streamlined set of weapons and abilities to the
run and gun explodey set-piece
at the end, it's all very much in the style of its direct precursor.

To everyone who hasn't managed to snag a copy yet: I recommend you play the plot through first. Every time I took a break to play a side-mission it broke up the progression of the story and made it feel less like a narrative and more like a random mission game.

seady

For anyone that is interested, Barnes and Noble website is still selling the limited edition through their website as a Gamestop reseller.

thefil said:
There's
a little corniness at the end
, but that's to be expected of the series.

That's an understatement sir. :D

Just saw it on Youtube. I think Kojima has reached a new level of cheesiness. We'll call it ''Cheesima'' for now. It's just a work-in-progress word.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do you guys think the Gamestop special camo PSP bundle will be hard to find (and with a jacked up price) if I don't get it at launch? Or is it as available as the normal bundle?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
SoulPlaya said:
:(, it freezes on Gen-D3.

Theres a savefile so you can play after the freeze

loving it so far, delivered this morning,
BUT.

thats HORRIFIC psp control layout is killing me.
since i am now in win7 remotejoy wont work, any pointers? i know i wont be able to handle 20+ hours.

PSN release??? :p

seady

mattiewheels said:
Do you guys think the Gamestop special camo PSP bundle will be hard to find (and with a jacked up price) if I don't get it at launch? Or is it as available as the normal bundle?

The Camo one will definitely be rare.

neptunes

Templar Wizard said:
loving it so far, delivered this morning,
BUT.

thats HORRIFIC psp control layout is killing me.
since i am now in win7 remotejoy wont work, any pointers? i know i wont be able to handle 20+ hours.

PSN release??? :p
I got remoteJoy to work with the demo

what version of windows 7 are you using?

Erigu

chandoog said:
Is this retconning Portable Ops or is that still a part of the story ?
Officially, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is still canonical (featured on timelines and such)... but it's pretty much ignored, really.
(which is probably for the best, because I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to buy the idea that
firing the nuke wasn't really Volgin's idea
).

Nothing important or ground breaking really happened in Portable Ops. The events from that game didn't really affect the past or the future, so I can't imagine why they'd need to retcon it. It was a pretty standalone story, really.

Callibretto said:
try looking for 5.50 gen d-3 time machine. it's an eboot you execute before you play pw. it allow me to pass tank mission so it may help you.

yep the time machine works for 5.50 gen d-3...it basically emulates gen d-2

RavenFox

Banned
For those interested here is the Prima Official Guide.
Price at retail 14.99 Amazon price 10.11.
517%2By2gWzCL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307470288/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Salaadin

Can more than one PSP use the same PS3 for ad hoc party?

I have some friends I want to play online with and Id like it if my brother can join us too but his PS3 isnt wired. If he came to my PS3, would he be able to connect over ad hoc party just the same even if I was also connected to that same PS3?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is it confirmed this will hit US PSN on the 8th?
Is it possible to plug in a dualshock 3 bluetooth for right stick camera control?

Salaadin said:
Can more than one PSP use the same PS3 for ad hoc party?

I have some friends I want to play online with and Id like it if my brother can join us too but his PS3 isnt wired. If he came to my PS3, would he be able to connect over ad hoc party just the same even if I was also connected to that same PS3?

Yes you can connect up to 2 PSP to the same playstation and play online with other 2 (or 4 if versus) people.

suikodan

Brandon F said:
Is it confirmed this will hit US PSN on the 8th?
Is it possible to plug in a dualshock 3 bluetooth for right stick camera control?

1- Better be. I suggest searching the game manually during the day. I think it'll pop up.
2- I've been asking this question forever and it seems that you can't. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Duckroll and I have just confirmed that ad-hoc support is cross-regional for versions of the game.

duckroll

Yeah that was pretty awesome. We managed to easily load a game in Adhoc Party. I'm using the JP version, and he's using the US version. Worked fine mostly, until lag kicked in and when I activated the cutscene at the end of the mission I got disconnected. Otherwise it was great.

duckroll said:
Yeah that was pretty awesome. We managed to easily load a game in Adhoc Party. I'm using the JP version, and he's using the US version. Worked fine mostly, until lag kicked in and when I activated the cutscene at the end of the mission I got disconnected. Otherwise it was great.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for how to use Ad Hoc party and MGS:pW? I just have no clue how to get it to work. I have the wired connection, I just need to know to know how the software works.

Top Bottom