• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

novery

Any word on whether Japanese ver saved files work with the North American UMD?

Also, who's going to play with me tonight? : )

Takao

Banned
Darn Americans and their uncaring retailers. I'd buy a UMD copy even though I'm going to play the PSN version.

Vamphuntr

Gamestop.ca has shipped my CE. Should get it tomorrow.
Unless they screw up again. Last time I ordered FF13 and only received the bonus poster and had to complain. :lol

hype.jpg

:O

RavenFox

Banned
I was so anxious I called GS about my Big Boss camo exclusive. They told me it was charged and getting ready to be shipped. Lol haven't been this impatient for a game since I was a wee kid :lol

Varth

SlickVic said:
Different strokes I guess. Personally I really like the US boxart.

Nice impressions. Did you play through the entire game solo? I remember some previews saying some bosses were incredibly difficult if you didn't do them co-op. Did you experience that or was the challenge reasonable?

I guess they weren't managing their base properly. Contrary to what appears to be common belief, resource managing has impact on the gameplay, and the moment you notice that is precisely when you get your ass kicked from one of the bosses. Having a quicker reload RPG, a good set of smoke nades or a powered up, silenced weapon has huge impact on survival chances.

Boney said:

Are you asking how to do it or how the software functions?

If the former, just load up the software, make a lobby and start your PSP's local multiplayer as if the person was right next to you. The PS3 will handle the rest.

If the latter, it's not that crazy. The PSP games which don't have an interface for working online can't set it up, so Adhoc Party basically is just a universal interface to handle the same thing. Similar to how you can play N64, SNES, NES, and other old systems online using emulators. It's still emulating the local environment, but just tunneling it online. Hell, you could even play the few Gamecube games that supported LAN online if you used a little elbow grease.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
alr1ghtstart said:
Does adhoc party work for those of us with custom firmware?

Why wouldn't it? ad-hoc wifi is a standard of the wifi protocol. Sony can't fuck with it to put a firmware check in without breaking a bunch of old games + pissing off people that use that protocol.

TTP said:
Just completed the game (review code I had sitting here for a while) after an almost non-stop 20circa hrs session.

It's that good. Sits right there alongside MGS3. Bosses are friggin incredible as well as everything else basically. I'm speechless.

Yes, but how's the gunplay? The demo's aiming system is thing that pisses me off about an otherwise stellar experience.

Square Triangle said:
Any got a Meijer near them, my local one never knows what street dated means.

Well, at least the good news is that there is only one copy left. Hopefully the bought:pirated ratio is more toward bought so Kojima/Konami/whoever can make more good PSP games. :(

auto said:
What are the chances that I'll be able to grab Peace Walker off of PSN at midnight?

*thisisNeoGAFSCEA,dude.gif*

Lower your expectations. Try... Wednesday afternoon, going by the rate they don't have a standard update time and how fucking stupid they are with the weekly store updates.

And I'm in that boat as well, any future PSP games I'm buying are/must be on PSN if they're new games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheSeks said:
Why wouldn't it? ad-hoc wifi is a standard of the wifi protocol. Sony can't fuck with it to put a firmware check in without breaking a bunch of old games + pissing off people that use that protocol.

Yes, but how's the gunplay? The demo's aiming system is thing that pisses me off about an otherwise stellar experience.

Well, at least the good news is that there is only one copy left. Hopefully the bought:pirated ratio is more toward bought so Kojima/Konami/whoever can make more good PSP games. :(
What pisses you off about it? Turn up the aiming sensitivity to start.

Takao

Banned
autobzooty said:
What are the chances that I'll be able to grab Peace Walker off of PSN at midnight?

12AM in which timezone? Pretty certain Grace Chen and the PSN friends are located in Santa Monica and are running off of PST (?). Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath for a 12AM update in any timezone in North America. SCEA is the lazy kind.

Vamphuntr

Takao said:
12AM in which timezone? Pretty certain Grace Chen and the PSN friends are located in Santa Monica and are running off of PST (?). Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath for a 12AM update in any timezone in North America. SCEA is the lazy kind.

Which PSP games went up at midnight? The only time I remember that this happened was for the PSP Go launch.

TheSeks

Y2Kev said:
What pisses you off about it? Turn up the aiming sensitivity to start.

The face buttons being used for aiming (action) is pretty stupid and imprecise IMO.

Going Action/MPO control scheme doesn't let you aim/move like action and moves the aim system from the buttons to the D-pad (better, but still not great).

It's like they had to go completely stupid on the gunplay system from Port Ops emulating MGS3 over MGS4.

Which PSP games went up at midnight? The only time I remember that this happened was for the PSP Go launch.

PSPGo launch didn't even go up at midnight. It was one of the rare store updates to update at NOON like Britain does (but Britain updates at 5PM Britain time opposed to my Noon EST).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheSeks said:
The face buttons being used for aiming (action) is pretty stupid and imprecise IMO.

Full disclosure that I like the system wherever it has been used (whether that be on the N64, Dreamcast, or PSP Syphon Filters), but I'm really stunned here. What exactly is the alternative? The Portable Ops control method is absolutely broken, and it didn't even work for Portable Ops. There's simply too much complexity in Metal Gear's controls.

There was a "curious" decision involved in Peace Walker's development (maybe you can guess), but it's not the various control schemes they offer the player. There isn't anything else they can offer. I mean what do you want them to do? Release a USB second nub?

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:

Going Action/MPO control scheme doesn't let you aim/move like action and moves the aim system from the buttons to the D-pad (better, but still not great).

It's like they had to go completely stupid on the gunplay system from Port Ops emulating MGS3 over MGS4.

PSPGo launch didn't even go up at midnight. It was one of the rare store updates to update at NOON like Britian does (but Britian updates at 5PM Britian time opposed to my Noon EST).

It's possible to aim with the nub in ''action style'' if you hold L+R. You know this right?

TheSeks

Vamphuntr said:
It's possible to aim with the nub in ''action style'' if you hold L+R. You know this right?

In the demo? Seriously?

*goes off to try this*

TheSeks

Vamphuntr said:
Yeah in the demo. Make sure control type is set to ''ACTION'' and not to ''SHOOTER''.

Ohhhh shit.

That makes the game awesome for me. Why the hell didn't the demo mention this? Fuck me, forget I said anything. Game's awesome now (with the exception of not being able to move like action while aiming, but that's a minor complaint. At least I can hit shit with some accuracy/less annoyments now)

The Portable Ops control method is absolutely broken, and it didn't even work for Portable Ops. There's simply too much complexity in Metal Gear's controls.

I disagree. I felt that Port Ops (while removing some things in MGS3) made good use of attempting to put most of MGS1-3's controls on the PSP.

And I'm one of the few that can't stand button aiming systems. Can't. It doesn't work in Metroid Prime: Hunters (then again, that was always a "PC like" control scheme with the touch-screen), it doesn't work in Resistance Retribution (IMO), it doesn't work in Syphon Filter PSP. It doesn't work anywhere for me. If I don't have the option to use the nub or the D-pad (though the D-pad here is pretty terrible, but that's the fault of the PSP-1000's more than anything), I won't pick up the game. It drives me bonkers trying to aim with the face buttons in the heat of battle.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:
Ohhhh shit.

That makes the game awesome for me. Why the hell didn't the demo mention this? Fuck me, forget I said anything. Game's awesome now (with the exception of not being able to move like action while aiming, but that's a minor complaint. At least I can hit shit with some accuracy/less annoyments now)

Did you try it? I hope you like it :D

TheSeks

Vamphuntr said:
Did you try it? I hope you like it :D

Yes, yes, I did. "Action Type" for lyfe now.

Day one totally now. Just now need to wait for SCEA to update the store. :(

Vamphuntr said:

O_O I'm seeing action type in a whole new light now.
Did they find a way round the L/R screen when you need to change equipment in Action type? I hated that.

TheSeks

Graphics Horse said:
O_O I'm seeing action type in a whole new light now.
Did they find a way round the L/R screen when you need to change equipment in Action type? I hated that.

Probably not, but that doesn't really annoy me too much. Fumbling through the menu with the D-pad over the nub meanwhile does. But that isn't a huge deal. I can deal with it.

Edit: And really, how would they get around it? L is camera reset. D-pad is camera. Circle is the only button not used for something in action type that is used for the item/gun selection. So you having to circle->menu->L/R->menu is understandable.

Boney

Banned
autobzooty said:
Are you asking how to do it or how the software functions?

If the former, just load up the software, make a lobby and start your PSP's local multiplayer as if the person was right next to you. The PS3 will handle the rest.

If the latter, it's not that crazy. The PSP games which don't have an interface for working online can't set it up, so Adhoc Party basically is just a universal interface to handle the same thing. Similar to how you can play N64, SNES, NES, and other old systems online using emulators. It's still emulating the local environment, but just tunneling it online. Hell, you could even play the few Gamecube games that supported LAN online if you used a little elbow grease.
Hmm what I mean is, as a person without a PS3, what can I do with ad-hoc, I know that with the PS3 you can play online, but what can I do without one. Thanks though..

Yen

Varth said:
I guess they weren't managing their base properly. Contrary to what appears to be common belief, resource managing has impact on the gameplay, and the moment you notice that is precisely when you get your ass kicked from one of the bosses. Having a quicker reload RPG, a good set of smoke nades or a powered up, silenced weapon has huge impact on survival chances.
So you are at no disadvantage if you don't play co/op? Apart from missing out on all its goodness.

TheSeks

Yenrot said:
So you are at no disadvantage if you don't play co/op? Apart from missing out on all its goodness.

Kojima realized that the US/EU is not as co-op focused, so he balanced the game for solo play. So yes, you don't miss out on anything if you don't play co-op.

Hmm what I mean is, as a person without a PS3, what can I do with ad-hoc, I know that with the PS3 you can play online, but what can I do without one. Thanks though..

Xlink Kai, but good fucking luck getting up to speed on their program with the shitty PSP support they have. And you can't play with ad-hoc party members.

TheSeks said:
Edit: And really, how would they get around it? L is camera reset. D-pad is camera. Circle is the only button not used for something in action type that is used for the item/gun selection. So you having to circle->menu->L/R->menu is understandable.

Not sure, O for items while R+O is weapons might have worked, but maybe a bit confusing.
It's the fact Snake stops while you hold O that makes it worse, with a bit of finger gymnastics you can run while changing weapons in Shooter Type.

Synless

TheSeks said:
Kojima realized that the US/EU is not as co-op focused, so he balanced the game for solo play. So yes, you don't miss out on anything if you don't play co-op.

Xlink Kai, but good fucking luck getting up to speed on their program with the shitty PSP support they have. And you can't play with ad-hoc party members.
I think he got it wrong, I believe that co-op is exactly what the US/EU likes and that instead of making balances for solo play he should have included infrastructure. It pisses me off that this late into the PSP's life cycle developers still can't get this shit right. He most likely could have cut down on piracy as well by adding a one-time activation code for the buyers of the new game.

TheSeks

Graphics Horse said:
Not sure, O for items while R+O is weapons might have worked, but maybe a bit confusing.

I could see that working, but R is also used for aiming/readying your weapon. So you'd have to fumble with pressing R+O at the right time to get the gun menu that way.

Solid warrior said:
>>Avatar<<

I've been looking everywhere for that image. Do you have the whole "eye roll/squint/shake head".gif?

Synless said:
I think he got it wrong, I believe that co-op is exactly what the US/EU likes and that instead of making balances for solo play he should have included infrastructure.

That's a two part.

1) I don't mean the US isn't focused on co-op. Just that in the US/EU it's hard for PSP owners to get together to ad-hoc unlike in Japan where it's easy and crazy popular to do for games like Monster Hunter.

2) He should've, but that's never discussed on his twitter on why they didn't and why many PSP games don't. Probably because it costs money to support the servers.

Two+ years later there is only like... 5-10 people playing online infrastructure in MPO/MPO+. Not very cost-efficient. I can't blame him if he did it to save costs in the long run.

However, if we bitch enough and there is a MGS6:pW2, maybe Kojima will include it like Sega is doing for Phantasy Star Portable 2 (which, the lack of infrastructure in the first PSP was the hugest issue many people had with it).

depward

Vamphuntr said:
Probably at 6-7 pm EST with the rest of the stuff.

I was going to say: on other PSP game launches (like NBA 10: The Inside and MLB The Show) when the PSN update was on Thursday, it seemed like they had those games up fairly early on Tuesday.

However, with the whole PSN update now on Tuesday, I'm guessing we'll see this on the PSN store anywhere around 2pm 5pm PDT (per usual).

Varth

Yenrot said:

Nah, I only played a couple extra missions in coop in 35 hours playtime. Had a real blast with them, though. Wish they'd announce an infrastructure patch or something like Guerrilla did for Killzone Liberation.

Idk about all the pirated vs. bought ratio, PS Blog made a post on Facebook asking who is getting the UMD or PSN version and a lot of asshats said "The free pirated one"

=/

Square Triangle said:
Idk about all the pirated vs. bought ratio, PS Blog made a post on Facebook asking who is getting the UMD or PSN version and a lot of asshats said "The free pirated one"

=/

:(

On the bright side, at least Sony seems aware of the fact that lots of people want it on PSN, so hopefully they won't screw up and put it up on Wednesday or something. Although PSN updates on Tuesdays now anyways, so that kinda helps. I'm still hoping they go all out and do a midnight PSN release though.

TheSeks

Square Triangle said:

=/

:lol :lol :lol I'm sorry, I know it's bad. Just the thought of people publicly admitting to piracy on an official fanpage for a company is funny to me. (Also LOL FAILBOOK)

That's a bad sign. I seriously hope the game sells, but I don't hold out hopes. The PSP is a leaky sieve when it comes to game sales.

Just though I'd remind everyone now,

EVERY SINGLE SPOILER NEEDS TO BE TAGGED. NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL, EVEN IF IT IS JUST A LOCATION SPOILER. TAG EVERYTHING.

Please don't ruin this for us.

TheSeks said:
:lol :lol :lol I'm sorry, I know it's bad. Just the thought of people publicly admitting to piracy on an official fanpage for a company is funny to me. (Also LOL FAILBOOK)

That's a bad sign. I seriously hope the game sells, but I don't hold out hopes. The PSP is a leaky sieve when it comes to game sales.

For even more lulz, imagine the reaction when I told the guys on PSN I was playing with I do copyright law (which I do) and there surprise and (minor) mocking that I got the UMD version.

Takao

Banned
Square Triangle said:

=/

:(

Deadly

TheSeks said:
However, if we bitch enough and there is a MGS6:pW2, maybe Kojima will include it like Sega is doing for Phantasy Star Portable 2 (which, the lack of infrastructure in the first PSP was the hugest issue many people had with it).
Even the new Monster Hunter is going to include infrastructure. I totally wish I could be playing the game with others right now.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:

They really should have

1-Included Infrastructure
2- Forced users to redeem a voucher on PSN to activate infrastructure (included on PSN copy or in the retail box).

Takao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
They really should have

2- Forced users to redeem a voucher on PSN to activate infrastructure (included on PSN copy or in the retail box).

All that would've done is keep the hackers out of the multiplayer modes. It would've still been pirated.

TheSeks

Vamphuntr said:
They really should have

I don't think that really would have changed piracy numbers. Game still has ad-hoc. They can just use ad-hoc party to get around this limitation. Big deal.

Edit:

All that would've done is keep the hackers out of the multiplayer modes. It would've still been pirated.

That, too.

/Edit:

Deadly said:
Even the new Monster Hunter is going to include infrastructure. I totally wish I could be playing the game with others right now.

It took two outings on the PSP for that to happen though. Developers won't do it unless we MAKE them do it. :/

depward

Square Triangle said:

=/

Truly and utterly pathetic. I mean, goddamn :(

Vamphuntr

Takao said:

Yeah but at least you remove a feature from them. This is so annoying. Shame on the people that leak them online too. They are as guilty as the pirate.

Vamphuntr

-viper- said:
i believe with a PSP Go you can play your games on a screen with a DS3, right?

You can play on a TV screen with PSP 3000, PSP 2000 and PSP Go. Bluetooth support is Go only so DS3 only on Psp GO.

Top Bottom