• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Takao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Yeah but at least you remove a feature from them. This is so annoying. Shame on the people that leak them online too. They are as guilty as the pirate.

Piracy Protection is rumored to be one of the reasons why Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep isn't on the Japanese PSN, and looks even more unlikely for a US PSN release. Ugh. It's an annoying, and depressing issue, that short of some system breaking code, there's nothing much Sony can do. Just the other day, some study showed that piracy on the DS and PSP cost developers worldwide some obscene amount of cash ($41.7 billion was what was said after a group studied the numbers of 114 popular pirate sites).

Takao said:
All that would've done is keep the hackers out of the multiplayer modes. It would've still been pirated.

Still worth it if you ask me!

I'm pretty sure infrastructure is missing because of server cost. That and the amount of hate people have expressed for Konami's network systems in the past.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DaFish said:
How large of a file size is the PSN version supposed to be?

1.8 gig, basically the whole UMD. That's not counting the 800meg install for audio.

Local Walmart had it out in the case already, got excited for a moment but knew it was too good to be true, I never get any releases early. It wouldn't let them ring it up until tomorrow :( I wonder if going back at midnight would work.

Vamphuntr

DaFish said:
How large of a file size is the PSN version supposed to be?

Around 1.7 GB. If you want to have audio codec during gameplay you must do an install of 800 mb. Make sure you have 2.5 GB free :D

EDIT : BEATEN

TheSeks

Master Pain said:
Local Walmart had it out in the case already, got excited for a moment but knew it was too good to be true, I never get any releases early. It wouldn't let them ring it up until tomorrow :( I wonder if going back at midnight would work.

It would.

Yoshi256

Banned
TTP said:
Just completed the game (review code I had sitting here for a while) after an almost non-stop 20circa hrs session.

It's that good. Sits right there alongside MGS3. Bosses are friggin incredible as well as everything else basically. I'm speechless.

Sounds great. :)

Speaking bout reviews, it seems the gaming press has forgotten that there are still coming interesting games on PSP.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/metalgearsolidpeacewalker

Zero. :-(

Blu_LED said:
Just though I'd remind everyone now,

EVERY SINGLE SPOILER NEEDS TO BE TAGGED. NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL, EVEN IF IT IS JUST A LOCATION SPOILER. TAG EVERYTHING.

Please don't ruin this for us.

What about when we first meet......kidding I learned my lesson from Red Dead Redemption. :lol

Vamphuntr

Yoshi256 said:
Speaking bout reviews, it seems the gaming press has forgotten that there are still coming interesting games on PSP.

Birth by Sleep and Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega you better not cut infrastructure from the US build) are gonna be amazing too.

Yoshi256

Banned
TheSeks said:
OH WHAT A THRILL~~~~~~~

Review Embargoooooooo *doo doo doooooo~*

Review embargos for PSP games make so much sense.
The hype in the boards is incredible. NOT.

Everybody was freaking out when MGS: Guns of the Patriots hit the stores and now there are even MGS fans that didn't know about Peace Walker until I told them.

TheSeks

Yoshi256 said:
Review embargos for PSP games make so much sense.
The hype in the boards is incredible. NOT.

Everybody was freaking out when MGS: Guns of the Patriots hit the stores and now there are even MGS fans that didn't know about Peace Walker until I told them.

It's on the PSP. Did you expect it to magically get the hype that console releases do? You're crazy.

Omikaru

Vamphuntr said:
Around 1.7 GB. If you want to have audio codec during gameplay you must do an install of 800 mb. Make sure you have 2.5 GB free :D

EDIT : BEATEN
Why would you need to install content when it's on the system storage already (PSN version, obviously - I can understand why it's there for UMD)? Surely they'd have optimised the PSN download version to accommodate this?

Omikaru said:
Why would you need to install content when it's on the system storage? Surely they'd have optimised the PSN download version to accommodate this?
It's optional stuff. Mostly voice acting for non-cutscenes.

Vamphuntr

Omikaru said:
Why would you need to install content when it's on the system storage? Surely they'd have optimised the PSN download version to accommodate this?

Nope, they did not :lol . You are litteraly downloading a 1 : 1 copy of the UMD.

TheSeks

Omikaru said:
Why would you need to install content when it's on the system storage already (PSN version, obviously - I can understand why it's there for UMD)? Surely they'd have optimised the PSN download version to accommodate this?

All PSN releases (UMD/PSX/whatever) are just straight ISO dumps. ALL of them. Optimizing for PSN relases takes time and money, and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

Takao

Banned
TheSeks said:
All PSN releases (UMD/PSX/whatever) are just straight ISO dumps. ALL of them. Optimizing for PSN relases takes time and money, and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

This isn't true. Two examples are LittleBigPlanet and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars which had load screens changed/removed, and display icons changed from the UMD release.

Omikaru

Blu_LED said:
It's optional stuff. Mostly voice acting for non-cutscenes.
I get that, but if I get it on PSN (which I am - PSP Go user here; would prefer to not play it on my PSP-1000) then the whole thing will be installed to my system storage, so why bother having the option of installing from the system storage to the system storage? It just seems like a waste of space to me.

Again, I understand why we'd need to install from UMD to system storage, but surely they could've altered the download version to accommodate the fact that it's running from system stora-- oh...

Vamphuntr said:
Nope, they did not :lol . You are litteraly downloading a 1 : 1 copy of the UMD.

TheSeks said:
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up, guys.

I'm a little bit pissed off about that, though. I've only got about 1.9gb left on my PSP, and I don't think my 16gb M2 is due for a few more days...

Omikaru said:
I'm a little bit pissed off about that, though. I've only got about 1.9gb left on my PSP, and I don't think my 16gb M2 is due for a few more days...
You don't need to have all your PSP games on your system at once. Back some up that you don't play on your PS3, or PC, unless you play them all.

Yoshi256

Banned
TheSeks said:
It's on the PSP. Did you expect it to magically get the hype that console releases do? You're crazy.

Not the same hype, of course, but in my favorite gaming boards it is very silent about the game.
Crisis Core and Chains of Olympus got a lot more attention back then.

MGS: Peace Walker will probably only be a success in Japan.

TheSeks

Yoshi256 said:
Not the same hype, of course, but in my favorite gaming boards it is very silent about the game.
Crisis Core and Chains of Olympus got a lot more attention back then.

MGS: Peace Walker will probably only be a success in Japan.

Crisis Core and Chains came out while the PSP was "relevant"/starting to die from piracy.

MGS: PW is coming out after the piracy cat came out of the PSP bag. The PSP is no longer relevant to most people, esp. on GAF.

Shame, but that's the life of the PSP.

Also MGS4 got crazy backlash. I don't think PW is the answer to getting MGS fans that felt jipped by MGS4 to come back.

And it's doubtful it'll be a success even in Japan. MGS isn't crazy popular there and there is the PSP piracy rate worldwide to consider.

Vamphuntr

Pai Pai Master said:
?

It's already proven itself successful in Japan.

Depends on what you mean. It's sold about as much as MGS 4. That was not the plan though. He implemented coop, did the MH collaboration and toned down the violence to get a new audience. This seem to have failed.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
chandoog said:
I will be very surprised if it gets more than 9 on IGN.

Come on, it's Greg ... We all know how much he loves the MGS Series.

Takao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Depends on what you mean. It's sold about as much as MGS 4. That was not the plan though. He implemented coop, did the MH collaboration and toned down the violence to get a new audience. This seem to have failed.

You're assuming it'll just stop selling entirely, which it hasn't. It's already passed MGS4 IIRC and has showed some decent legs. It won't crack 1 million in Japan before the bound to happen Peace Walker + expansion, but it's doing well. The MH stuff is apparently so minor that it wouldn't have sold many copies to new audiences anyways.

Also, I'm not expecting the game to review all that great in Western media. Yeah, that's because I feel it's going to get backlash for the platform it's on.

Vamphuntr said:

Sold about as much in MGS4 in a fraction of the timeframe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Vamphuntr said:
It'll probably do 800k original release, which would make it the most successful MGS in a while. But yeah, you do get the impression they wanted million+...still...it's definitely not like "oh piracy destroyed the sales"

Minamu

Chip N Chance said:
I got my 1GB down to 948MG by backing up the few games i have. That should be enough right? Enough for the codecs i mean.
If you intend to use the UMD version, then yes, most likely.

Vamphuntr

Y2Kev said:
It'll probably do 800k original release, which would make it the most successful MGS in a while. But yeah, you do get the impression they wanted million+...still...it's definitely not like "oh piracy destroyed the sales"

Indeed. Worlwide though it's probably gonna end up as the worst selling main MGS game :(

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible for the US and Japanese versions of the game to play with each other?

Zen

Banned
Eh, it's doing really well in the Japanese market, even if it isn't blowing past the previous highest selling MGS in the series. If it gets a substance release it will pass 1 million in Japan. Even though it won't do nearly as well as other mainline MGS games over seas, it's still going to beat the pants off of all the over 'not numbered' MGS games, and probably make a good profit for them. I wouldn't consider Peace Walker anything close to a failure, or even a disappointment.

TheSeks

Chip N Chance said:
I got my 1GB down to 948MG by backing up the few games i have. That should be enough right? Enough for the codecs i mean.

If going UMD and wanting the audio, yes.

Otherwise no.

Takao

Banned
Oichi said:
sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible for the US and Japanese versions of the game to play with each other?

Via Ad-Hoc Party, yes that's been confirmed. Via normal Ad-Hoc play? Don't know.

Minamu said:
If you intend to use the UMD version, then yes, most likely.

TheSeks said:
If going UMD and wanting the audio, yes.

Otherwise no.

Thanks so much you guys. But yeah, i am going for the UMD version. I pre ordered the limited version of the game. Im quite the Metal Gear fan, so getting the complete experience out of this game is huge for me. I recently got the call from Gamestop saying my game will be in tomorrow, and i immediately started wiping my 1gb stick fresh. I barely made it though. :lol

Ashes

Banned
Fuck. I almost feel like apologizing for not knowing when this thing was going to hit. It's coming out today, according to the OP! Man, quietest MGS main game release day for me at least. Can't wait till morning now.

SlickVic

Varth said:
I guess they weren't managing their base properly. Contrary to what appears to be common belief, resource managing has impact on the gameplay, and the moment you notice that is precisely when you get your ass kicked from one of the bosses. Having a quicker reload RPG, a good set of smoke nades or a powered up, silenced weapon has huge impact on survival chances.

That would probably be it then. Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

Top Bottom