• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
I said wow at the
chopper fight with the waterfalls in the background

You said wow there? Did you finish the game? Cos there is so much more wow later :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TTP said:
You said wow there? Did you finish the game? Cos there is so much more wow later :D
nooo I'm still going. that boss fight took me some time...it was hard! lol!

but yeah this game is wow. my only complaint is dithering. i didn't mind installing from UMD since my memstick is 4gb

SlickVic

So another complaint about the boss difficulty on solo in the IGN review. Pretty sure I suck too much at games to beat this solo but hell, I love the MGS series too much to pass on this. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
nooo I'm still going. that boss fight took me some time...it was hard! lol!

Yeah. I really liked those kind boss fights against
military vehicles (APC, tank, helicopter).
Nice hide and seek (and stalk) gameplay there. But wait until you get to the real deal ;)

hxa155 said:
Because it's on the PSP. Buy it or don't. Simple.
Oh, I'm definitely getting it but imo it just doesn't feel like a true MGS game is coming out unless it's on the ps3 or 360 but i'm just weird like that.
Anyway, I'm glad the story for PW is awesome because I loved mgs3.

Oichi said:
lol reviewer sucks confirmed. None of the bosses require any help from anyone. They're all easy so long as you know what to bring to the fight.

I think he is right about the lack of instructions. The manual is skimpy as hell, even if it wasn't an MGS game. It seems like its made to make you have to get the strat guide (which is granted cheap) to understand how to do the various modes. The in game explanations are very basic (though the tapes help out a bit).

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Vamphuntr said:
I hope you are right my friend... because my awesome ps3 cannot do ad hoc party.

I got stuck on the same boss as the reviewer, but only because I kept running out of ammo. So all I did was play a little bit more to research new weapons and I beat it pretty easily the next time. Basically, if you're having trouble with a main story boss, do the side missions to research items and weapons, and you should be able to beat it soon enough.

Oichi said:
I got stuck on the same boss as the reviewer, but only because I kept running out of ammo. So all I did was play a little bit more to research new weapons and I beat it pretty easily the next time. Basically, if you're having trouble with a main story boss, do the side missions to research items and weapons, and you should be able to beat it soon enough.

Weird to have to grind in a MGS game, but thankfully the side missions are fun as hell.

Anth0ny

It looks like this will be my first PSP game in over a year. I will grind my teeth and force myself to love those horrible controls, damn it :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oichi said:

Did you use the supply dropping device thing? I didn't have to grind ex missions to beat bosses. I just used that device when I was close to running out of ammo.

Colocho

Banned
So what control type is everyone using? I went with shooter on the demo for the liberty of moving the camera while walking and I'm already used to aiming with the face buttons thanks to the Syphon Filter games, but I might switch to action in the full game if it's actually the best way to go.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TTP said:
Did you use the supply dropping device thing? I didn't have to grind ex missions to beat bosses. I just used that device when I was close to running out of ammo.

Yeah I did, but I still ran out of ammo because my weapons were too weak when I tried going up against certain bosses. So I just played some side missions till I got new weapons, or I ranked up with my current weapons.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Colocho said:
So what control type is everyone using? I went with shooter on the demo for the liberty of moving the camera while walking and I'm already used to aiming with the face buttons thanks to the Syphon Filter games, but I might switch to action in the full game if it's actually the best way to go.

I went for Shooter mode and never looked back. No other mode allows you to aim freely with your right thumb (Action mode allows free aiming on the analog, but that being under the left thumb doesn't do for me)

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
anyone else found creepy when
You are about to beat an AI so you can go inside the pod, but at that moment it starts like to sing a childish song or something like that

hxa155

pharmboy044 said:
Oh, I'm definitely getting it but imo it just doesn't feel like a true MGS game is coming out unless it's on the ps3 or 360 but i'm just weird like that.
Anyway, I'm glad the story for PW is awesome because I loved mgs3.

Just play it and hype yourself for Metal Gear Solid Rising. :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dgenx said:
You are about to beat an AI so you can go inside the pod, but at that moment it starts like to sing a childish song or something like that

Doesn't happen only when
going inside the pod but yes, that's creepy.

Where do the pods fly to after removing the boards anyway? I have yet to complete the extra 5th chapter. Perhaps it's related?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Colocho said:

Action. Can't stand aiming with the face buttons. Haven't looked back since I learned the L+R nub aim trick.

I was about to choose MH controls til I saw Action with the L being camera reset. Shooter with face buttons as camera I would have to get use to cause only other game I played (and for like 400 hours+) is MH. Action makes more sense to me due to my previous PSP gaming.

In MH L is rest and dpad is camera so almost no learning was required in Action.

DiscoJer

dgenx said:

Haven't you ever seen the movie 2001? AIs do that when they are about to be beat...

Fakto

TheSeks said:
You've been under a rock these past three years or something?

Most games now a days are getting Spanish/French/English instruction manuals/boxes. It's stupid, but blame Canada for that infecting the US.

Soon we'll be talking in French and spending Euro's.

DAMN YOU EUROPE!

When a PSP game cost you 39,95 € [50 $], then you can complain.

duckroll

D23 said:
any tips beating
pupa
???

You should be able to find an opening on the ground which leads to a tunnel (you can't go into the tunnel). Stay in that sheltered area and wait for it to stop. Hammer it with rockets. When you need to evade the attacks just move into a blind spot within the tunnel. When it throws out the electro mines, use a machine gun to shoot all the mines near you to take them out before they can be activated later. This will also give you a safe spot to stay and shoot it over and over while it is activating the mines later. If you run out of rocket and/or MG ammo, use a supply marker.

kassatsu said:
Right now in English on Hong Kong PSN.

!!!!

Is there really NO difference between them? I'd buy it now but I don't wanna regret it and buy the one off the English PSN later

OH GOD

duckroll

OneMoreQuestion said:
How much is it on the HK store?
I want a rough approximation on how much it would cost in Australia, hope we don't get ripped off hard... :/

It's 50 SGD on the Singapore store, which is about 30+ USD.

brain_stew said:
Are many GAFers planning to use Xlink Kai? Its complete horseshit that they left out infrastructure mode in a game that seemingly relies on co-op so much.

yeah, it's fucking ridiculous

peacealker is not coming out here until next week but i'll be up for playing it with you next week. i'll get x-link kai installed and we'll get a game going

if anyone else wants to play just write a message. hopefully us non ps3 ad hoc party folks can egt a 4 player game going

D23

duckroll said:
You should be able to find an opening on the ground which leads to a tunnel (you can't go into the tunnel). Stay in that sheltered area and wait for it to stop. Hammer it with rockets. When you need to evade the attacks just move into a blind spot within the tunnel. When it throws out the electro mines, use a machine gun to shoot all the mines near you to take them out before they can be activated later. This will also give you a safe spot to stay and shoot it over and over while it is activating the mines later. If you run out of rocket and/or MG ammo, use a supply marker.

i finally beat it, after three tries lol.

Varth

TTP said:
Doesn't happen only when
going inside the pod but yes, that's creepy.

Where do the pods fly to after removing the boards anyway? I have yet to complete the extra 5th chapter. Perhaps it's related?

I think it's actually the same pod every time, just mounted on different AI vehicles. I guess it has some kind of "return to base" mechanism in case of hacking or damage.

Zen

Banned
brain_stew said:
Are many GAFers planning to use Xlink Kai? Its complete horseshit that they left out infrastructure mode in a game that seemingly relies on co-op so much.

I'll be putting my PS3 on a wired connection to use AdHoc Party, or whatever. Hopefully there will be some games running.

thechemist

- Eurogamer - 8/10

With actual reinvention promised by Metal Gear Solid: Rising while Peace Walker upholds tradition in a compelling new format, it looks like Hideo Kojima has had his cake and eaten it yet again. Alright then, Snake; I guess you can stick around.

- Also for anyone not pre-ordered for UK/Euro release - £17.91 @ Amazon UK (also £17.99 @ Play & £17.95 @ Zavvi)

- UK Packshot
342216ps_500h.jpg

- Some UK bonuses
1. HMV have a special sleeve
2. GAME have a special In-Game T-Shirt & Gun

leehom

I wasn't interested till I read this thread, but what's the difference between purchasing it on psn vs umd?

Unless there's a huge advantage through psn, I prefer to own a physical copy. If I can play it on my ps3 instead of psp....that might sell me on the psn version.

leehom said:
I wasn't interested till I read this thread, but what's the difference between purchasing it on psn vs umd?

Unless there's a huge advantage through psn, I prefer to own a physical copy. If I can play it on my ps3 instead of psp....that might sell me on the psn version.

They're identical, but obviously the PSN version offers convenience that the UMD version does not. Content wise though, you're not gonna get anything different (except a case and a manual of course :p )

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Meristation - 9/10

from metacritic:

Peace Walker's one of the best games for PSP that we've tried this year, probably the best MGS that Kojima's made so far for a handheld platform.

Top Bottom