• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

We know for a fact that the demo save file doesn't affect the final game in anyway? It won't start me off at that point, and I won't get anything for having it? I can delete it?

Ephemeris

Big B said:
Are there only a few sneaking missions? I'm so bad at stealth.

Stay behind me. Keep your head down and hold on tight. Next stop: Victory.

If you have a PS3 + adhoc, anyways. :lol

and Blu_LED, I can't confirm it does anything, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep it around. I mean, how big could it be?

Colocho

Banned
Question. if I were to get the PSN version, should I install the 300mb file or the 800 one,? I mean since the game is on the stick it's already "installed" right? I just want the audio files, but if the 800 install gives me faster loading times even if it's the PSN, I'd install that one.

MonthOLDpickle said:
I just got to the first save point and I can ad-hoc if anybody is up for it.

One neat thing is with CO-OP if you beat a level you haven't reached on your own with friends
you get a message saying you haven't reached there yet and not too look at there screen :D

Colocho said:
Question. if I were to get the PSN version, should I install the 300mb file or the 800 one,? I mean since the game is on the stick it's already "installed" right? I just want the audio files, but if the 800 install gives me faster loading times even if it's the PSN, I'd install that one.

You should do the full install if you can spare the space. I think what it does is decompress the files, even if you downloaded from PSN.

Square Triangle said:
Although it doesn't matter what they say, I'd love to start seeing some damn reviews on this!

I think they're allowed to post em starting at midnight eastern time. So in a little less than two hours.

Pilgor

Vamphuntr said:
Nope, they did not :lol . You are litteraly downloading a 1 : 1 copy of the UMD.

I have the UMD version, when given the installation options, it said its for the UMD version only. There should be no additional 800mb installation with the PSN version.

Our store has more reservations for Peace Walker than Alan Wake did or Modnation Racers and Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks.. Not sure if that's saying anything but at least people recognize it's existence!

Nakazato

Square Triangle said:
Our store has more reservations for Peace Walker than Alan Wake did or Modnation Racers and Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks.. Not sure if that's saying anything but at least people recognize it's existence!
shit :D :D :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Square Triangle said:

Well good that your part of the woods knows what's up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SlickVic said:
Different strokes I guess. Personally I really like the US boxart.

Nice impressions. Did you play through the entire game solo? I remember some previews saying some bosses were incredibly difficult if you didn't do them co-op. Did you experience that or was the challenge reasonable?

The challenge is reasonable as long as you know how to equip your character. You need to be calm and tactical to win. It takes a few tries of course, but it's perfectly possible to do.

dark10x said:
Wow, that's high praise.

Hopefully I can get used to the controls. They felt pretty limited in the demo. Having just finished Splinter Cell Conviction, Peace Walker was feeling pretty damn limited and stiff in comparison. I simply never felt comfortable dealing with enemies in the demo.

I was equally concerned when I started the game, but I got used to it fast (I used the Shooter settings).

You just have to be calm as the game was built around the controls limitations of the PSP. Enemies spotting range is quite short, for example, and they don't shoot as precisely and fast as you would normally expect: game gives u some extra time to refine aiming before punishing you for exposing yourself.

Enemies try to evade more often than not (amazing AI in this regard), they rarely flank or charge and when you are surrounded by close enemies the new CQC "combo" system allows to dispatch them easily.

It's also quite easy to end alarm status by killing everyone. There is no infinite and overwhelming flood of reinforcements.

Basically it's all very well balanced as long as you just stay calm and use your gear cleverly.

Medium range aiming aid and easy switching (via Select button) between auto and manual targeting help too.

Well they're only 15 bucks and with retailers usually offering discounts on the guide w/ purchase of game- it's hard not to pass it up.

Vamphuntr

Square Triangle said:

Could be also because they know that most store don't keep tons of copies of PSP games. The 2 ebgames near me only has 1 or 2 copies of most PSP games.

Vamphuntr said:
Could be also because they know that most store don't keep tons of copies of PSP games. The 2 ebgames near me only has 1 or 2 copies of most PSP games.

There is a difference between getting extra copies for walk-ins and actually having reserved copies. Which is what I'm talking about. Our store normally only carries a couple copies of each game as well- really that's for anything once the game's release quarter is over with.

My Gamestop has a ton and we only got 2 reserves. There should be more than the reserves, so walking in and picking it up should be no problem.

Vamphuntr

Square Triangle said:
There is a difference between getting extra copies for walk-ins and actually having reserved copies. Which is what I'm talking about. Our store normally only carries a couple copies of each game as well- really that's for anything once the game's release quarter is over with.

OH, my bad then.

Gamestop/Konami didn't market the collector's edition/BB Bundle at all, seemed like that and the Boss Bundle was all through word of mouth. Seems strange since You'd think getting exclusive rights to something would encourage you to market it better.

Either way it's in my hands tomorrow, cannot wait. I wanna marathon a MGS all night. :lol

Jigsaw

Banned
Pilgor said:
I have the UMD version, when given the installation options, it said its for the UMD version only. There should be no additional 800mb installation with the PSN version.

no it says if you install the 800mb you won't get an improvement in loading times if you have the psn version,since it is already on the memorystick and can't get faster...with the psn version you only need the additional 300mb for the audio

Ephemeris

Square Triangle said:
Gamestop/Konami didn't market the collector's edition/BB Bundle at all, seemed like that and the Boss Bundle was all through word of mouth. Seems strange since You'd think getting exclusive rights to something would encourage you to market it better.

Either way it's in my hands tomorrow, cannot wait. I wanna marathon a MGS all night. :lol
yeah, when I went in and asked about it the guys were like "huh? Never heard... oh, there it is." when checking the system.

Returners

Ephemeris said:
yeah, when I went in and asked about it the guys were like "huh? Never heard... oh, there it is." when checking the system.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that there was a CE for the UMD version... I had to ask though.

Vamphuntr

IGN gave it 9.5

http://psp.ign.com/articles/109/1095291p2.html

oh and SPOILERS in it :lol

SHIT they even reveal the final boss don't read.

In the end, I couldn't beat the game without the help of another player who was way past that point.

This co-op focus means that some of the game is a pain in the ass (if not entirely undoable) by yourself. I've seen a ton of other game critics – folks I know can play – struggle and scream over some of the boss battles in this game.

:(

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
IGN 9.5

Beaten, damn you Kaz

In the end, I couldn't beat the game without the help of another player who was way past that point.

He might suck then, cause I beat the final boss alone in the japanese version.

but if you want to get a S Rank or do fancy stuff you might need a partnet, if you the game is beatable in single player, in fact I would say is kinda easy

Ephemeris

Returners said:
I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that there was a CE for the UMD version... I had to ask though.
And apparently preorders get a bandanna :lol

Nice score btw. *avoids review like foxdie the plague*

Colocho

Banned
Suddenly, my hype for this game is rising when just a few days ago I was just like meh. It's like it just got through to me that this IS in fact MGS5.

There's nothing like playing a main line Metal Gear for the first time, it's just something glorious.

I feel like I'm the only one who is happy that the bosses are tough as nails. I'll hop on multiplayer if I can't stand it, but I tend to appreciate a challenge as long as I know I can do it.

I'm just worried that the stealth sections will be easy. Can anyone say (or tell me what the spoiler-riddled review said) about the difficulty of the sneaking missions?

Are many GAFers planning to use Xlink Kai? Its complete horseshit that they left out infrastructure mode in a game that seemingly relies on co-op so much.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
pharmboy044 said:
Fuuuu, why couldn't this be on a HD console?

mgs3ed01.jpg

Vamphuntr

Oichi said:
lol reviewer sucks confirmed. None of the bosses require any help from anyone. They're all easy so long as you know what to bring to the fight.

I hope you are right my friend... because my awesome ps3 cannot do ad hoc party.

Top Bottom