• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

I don't understand what's this ad-hoc party, guys. the question is, can i play online co op with my psp connected directly to my wifi/wireless router? sorry, but I'm confused.

Solid warrior said:
I don't understand what's this ad-hoc party, guys. the question is, can i play online co op with my psp connected directly to my wifi/wireless router? sorry, but I'm confused.

Adhoc Party is software for PS3 that you can download for free off of PSN. It allows you to play offline PSP games online by connecting your PSP to your PS3. you can't play Peace Walker online without using Adhoc Party or xlink kai (which is a similar program for PC, though impressions of it seem pretty poor).

Hesemonni

Banned
I can't wrap my head around not being able to move whilst lying down or having my back against an obstacle. Other than that I'm loving the game.

Hopefully they'll do a PS2 port sometime in the future.

autobzooty said:
Adhoc Party is software for PS3 that you can download for free off of PSN. It allows you to play offline PSP games online by connecting your PSP to your PS3. you can't play Peace Walker online without using Adhoc Party or xlink kai (which is a similar program for PC, though impressions of it seem pretty poor).
it says in wikipedia that the PS3 has to be connected using LAN cable and PSP connects to PS3 over WiFi. simply put, both systems must be running at the same time, am i right? :/

Solid warrior said:
it says in wikipedia that the PS3 has to be connected using LAN cable and PSP connects to PS3 over WiFi. simply put, both systems must be running at the same time, am i right? :/

Yup, that's correct.

Just got done with playing the demo for the final time. I'm off to bed! Hopefully the PSN update will happen before too long tomorrow. It's gonna suck if I have to wait all day for them to put the game up.

heringer

That's what I was afraid of. :(

IGN said:
This co-op focus means that some of the game is a pain in the ass (if not entirely undoable) by yourself. I've seen a ton of other game critics – folks I know can play – struggle and scream over some of the boss battles in this game.

In the end, I couldn't beat Peace Walker without the help of another player who was way past that point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Solid warrior said:
... :(

I'm reading about Xlink atm. I hope that it'll work for me.

Is it really that hard/undoable to plug your PS3 into the router, run ad-hoc and PW at the same time when you want to co-op online?

Also Xlink sucks balls. Their support for tunneling on PSP is shit. As is for most other platforms (only decent one is X-box [OG], but X-box Connect does that job even better than Xlink).

Drac

Volcynika said:
Well I saw earlier in this thread that a lot of people that played the game said that is wrong and it's very feasible to solo bosses.

Indeed, I never had to farm/recruit/research excessively, only did each mission one time (with some of the extra but who wouldn't ?). Only had a hard time against
chrysalis
(2nd AI) because at this point I didn't know
that entering the AI pod would finish the fight. Yes the first time I look at it regenerate 3 times in a row before I had no more ammo to go on :lol Yes that actually worked on puppa :lol

The only things you should know is to always take the object to ask for ammo for the AI fight. If you can't win with this, there is either something really wrong with your chosen weapons or you need to learn the boss attack pattern.
Also for vehicle fight, instead of wasting time and ammo you can
kill/evacuate all enemy soldiers so that the commander shows his head out of the vehicle. Kill/tranquilize him to get a new vehicle for your outer ops ! (you may have to hurt the vehicle a little before he pops out)

For those worried about length or replay value, after chapter 5 you get a shit load of extra ops to do (there is
in total, with really varied objective type). And I don't really get the complains about the controls :/

Oni Jazar

TheSeks said:
Action. Can't stand aiming with the face buttons. Haven't looked back since I learned the L+R nub aim trick.

Wait... there's a control scheme where you can aim with the nub? I don't remember being able to do that in the demo. I played both Syphon Filters and Resistance with their "advanced" controls: moving with the buttons and aiming with the nub. It worked perfectly and should be the standard for 3rd person shooters on the PSP.

TheSeks said:
Is it really that hard/undoable to plug your PS3 into the router, run ad-hoc and PW at the same time when you want to co-op online?

Also Xlink sucks balls. Their support for tunneling on PSP is shit. As is for most other platforms (only decent one is X-box [OG], but X-box Connect does that job even better than Xlink).
my router is installed in another room. it's impossible to connect my ps3 to my router. also, I dislike the idea of two systems running at the same time.

I decided not to play Co-Op :(.

duckroll

IGN is full of shit. The campaign missions are totally doable in single player, and it's even very possible to S-rank every single one of the boss battles in single player. At no point does it really feel like it is balanced for co-op, although obviously with the right partners co-op makes it much easier.

Where the game is totally balanced for co-op is in the Extra Ops. Out of the 120+ missions in Extra Ops, a little over half of those are all boss battles. There are tons of different tanks, APCs, choppers, and even harder versions of the AI bosses, etc. Many of these are FUCKING hard. They are so tough that even in co-op, they are hard. You will need a lot of firepower, or really good team tactics, to take them out. If you want to capture the vehicles, it is even harder because sometimes there are just too many reinforcements.

But this is all meant to be extended content beyond the normal scenario of the game. It is a hook to keep you playing if you have friends who are also playing the game, etc.

Varth

duckroll said:
IGN is full of shit. The campaign missions are totally doable in single player, and it's even very possible to S-rank every single one of the boss battles in single player.

I'm doing this right now. Totally doable, if you know how, have the right tools (mostly stealth stuff) and you're confortable enough with the controls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oni Jazar said:
Wait... there's a control scheme where you can aim with the nub? I don't remember being able to do that in the demo. I played both Syphon Filters and Resistance with their "advanced" controls: moving with the buttons and aiming with the nub. It worked perfectly and should be the standard for 3rd person shooters on the PSP.

SECRET OF THE ACTION TYPE REVEALED

WHY THIS ISN'T ADVERTISED IN THE DEMO, I dunno. But it suddenly made the gunplay 20x better than the horseshit of the default controls/D-pad aiming in Action.

My only issue is the chuggy aiming speed now, even speeding it up doesn't really help. But at least I can deal with it now.

Edit: And NO, this isn't the "advanced" controls of Syphon Filter/Resistance, but at least it's better than the "Shooter" and "Action/D-pad" controls. I do wish they would move the move function to the buttons when aiming and have the nub be the aiming system. This would be awkward for some people as shifting button functions screws with people.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
IGN is full of shit. The campaign missions are totally doable in single player, and it's even very possible to S-rank every single one of the boss battles in single player. At no point does it really feel like it is balanced for co-op, although obviously with the right partners co-op makes it much easier.

Where the game is totally balanced for co-op is in the Extra Ops. Out of the 120+ missions in Extra Ops, a little over half of those are all boss battles. There are tons of different tanks, APCs, choppers, and even harder versions of the AI bosses, etc. Many of these are FUCKING hard. They are so tough that even in co-op, they are hard. You will need a lot of firepower, or really good team tactics, to take them out. If you want to capture the vehicles, it is even harder because sometimes there are just too many reinforcements.

But this is all meant to be extended content beyond the normal scenario of the game. It is a hook to keep you playing if you have friends who are also playing the game, etc.

How are the Extra Ops if you were still having to play solo? Seems rough! D:

duckroll said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

btw, how many difficulties does peace walker have?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Has any journo here with a DVD review code (for debug PSP mini-PC) tried the save file with the retail game? Does it work?

Please say so. I don't mind replaying the whole thing, but I want to jump into co-op with all my stuff as soon as I have my retail.

Oni Jazar

TheSeks said:
SECRET OF THE ACTION TYPE REVEALED

WHY THIS ISN'T ADVERTISED IN THE DEMO, I dunno. But it suddenly made the gunplay 20x better than the horseshit of the default controls/D-pad aiming in Action.

My only issue is the chuggy aiming speed now, even speeding it up doesn't really help. But at least I can deal with it now.

Edit: And NO, this isn't the "advanced" controls of Syphon Filter/Resistance, but at least it's better than the "Shooter" and "Action/D-pad" controls. I do wish they would move the move function to the buttons when aiming and have the nub be the aiming system. This would be awkward for some people as shifting button functions screws with people.

Good to know thanks!

duckroll

Volcynika said:
How are the Extra Ops if you were still having to play solo? Seems rough! D:

There are a lot of very fun Extra Ops for single player. In fact, they're mostly all great, even the boss ones. My favorite are probably the "Perfect Stealth" missions that you unlock later on. They generally include one entire major connected hub (so the number of maps you have to go through would be more than a normal mission in the story mode), but without cutscenes. You have to get from the start to the end point with no alert and no kill. That's pretty much like playing on Extreme mode in a normal MGS.

The most annoying missions to play solo are definitely the red 5 skull difficulty boss missions in Extra Ops. Those are totally stacked against you. Not only are the enemy soldiers heavily armored, they also have great weapons. To top that off, the boss itself generally has REALLY strong firepower, and tons of armor/life. Even with excellent skill and great weapons and equipment, you will probably run out of supplies and ammo. Using supply markers make it more bearable, but it's still a pain in the ass. With 4 players though, it's still a challenge but it's much more fun.

Solid warrior said:
oh, this is gonna be challenging.

No, actually the game is pretty easy overall.

IGN is full of shit.

What did you expect. This is the guy that did the review.

Greg_Miller_Lair_Reviewer%27s_Guide.jpg

Volcynika

duckroll said:
There are a lot of very fun Extra Ops for single player. In fact, they're mostly all great, even the boss ones. My favorite are probably the "Perfect Stealth" missions that you unlock later on. They generally include one entire major connected hub (so the number of maps you have to go through would be more than a normal mission in the story mode), but without cutscenes. You have to get from the start to the end point with no alert and no kill. That's pretty much like playing on Extreme mode in a normal MGS.

The most annoying missions to play solo are definitely the red 5 skull difficulty boss missions in Extra Ops. Those are totally stacked against you. Not only are the enemy soldiers heavily armored, they also have great weapons. To top that off, the boss itself generally has REALLY strong firepower, and tons of armor/life. Even with excellent skill and great weapons and equipment, you will probably run out of supplies and ammo. Using supply markers make it more bearable, but it's still a pain in the ass. With 4 players though, it's still a challenge but it's much more fun.

Oh ok. I might be able to be on a wired connection with my PS3 sometime next month, so I'll probably not focus on trying to beat those red 5 skull difficulty boss missions. Thanks for the info!

autobzooty said:

I really like having that option but was there a reason they didn't include the option to just connect directly to a wi-fi connection like a regular online game for when not home but near wi-fi?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
duckroll said:
No, actually the game is pretty easy overall.

Indeed. I really only had some issues with the awesome last mission (seen in one of those Kojima vids). But I'm not sure if it was just me inconsciously letting myself getting killed cos I didn't want it to end :lol

duckroll

ProgramFighter said:
I really like having that option but was there a reason they didn't include the option to just connect directly to a wi-fi connection like a regular online game for when not home but near wi-fi?

The reason is that Konami are cheap bastards and don't want to run their own matchmaking services for an online mode of the game.

thechemist

EDGE - 9

Immature developers imitate, mature ones steal. Kojima Productions has looked at the wider handheld market and lifted the best bits, reworking its own formulae to fit perfectly. There’s so much right with Peace Walker. It shines a cruel light on the paucity of ambition we’ve come to expect from PSP titles and holds its head high with a structure of great elegance, its depth only let down by a slight lack of set-piece flair.

So here we are again, but everything’s changed. If the series has over-familiar characteristics, then this pick-and-mix structure is a hard-won foil, and it should tempt nonbelievers in a way MGS4 never could. Peerlessly classy, funny and perverse in the same breath, Peace Walker is the most surprising Metal Gear Solid to date. [9]

duckroll

Nakazato said:
Hey Duck you think there would be any possibility for DLC ?? (paid or free)

There is DLC, just like for MGS4. There's an Extras section in the main menu that connects to PSN, and then to Konami's special in-game menu. There's already DLC out for the JP version in the form of extra camo, songs for the walkman, alternate voices for some boss fights in Extra Ops, etc. All free so far.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What did you expect. This is the guy that did the review.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Greg_Miller_Lair_Reviewer%27s_Guide.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol really?

Sounds to me that he just not good at the game or it wasn't his cup of tea, thus sucked at it.

Nakazato

duckroll said:
There is DLC, just like for MGS4. There's an Extras section in the main menu that connects to PSN, and then to Konami's special in-game menu. There's already DLC out for the JP version in the form of extra camo, songs for the walkman, alternate voices for some boss fights in Extra Ops, etc. All free so far.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Minamu said:
Are they on a Snape kills Dumbledore scale,
oops
You asshat, thanks for that!

How am I 'sposed to talk to my friends who are ad-hocking over PSN. The PSP doesn't have a built in mic, right? Does it let me use my PS3 headset? Is there some special PSP mic I would need to buy?

duckroll

Class_A_Ninja said:
How am I 'sposed to talk to my friends who are ad-hocking over PSN. The PSP doesn't have a built in mic, right? Does it let me use my PS3 headset? Is there some special PSP mic I would need to buy?

Ad-hoc Party is a PS3 program. It's not some firmware function of the PS3. The program itself is a lobby system which supports text and voice chat. So yes, you can use your PS3 headset.

Top Bottom