• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

YAY! I got my Big Boss Pack today. First, let me say that I love the Camo PSP. I love the camo look of the PSP, and I love the weight of it. Compared to my bulky PSP 1000, it's like so much better. I haven't played much of MGS:pW today, but I will be doing so for quite a while in the coming days.
It's getting rather good too already, with them saying that The Boss is not actually dead. Yeah, it could all be a trick, but if she really is alive, omg.. Must say, when I heard The Boss' voice, and remembering the ending to MGS3, yeah, I got teary eyed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
alr1ghtstart said:
I booted it on Gen-3, but had freezing issues so I downgraded. Did you decrypt it with iso tool152 and Prometheus patch it? It booted for me after doing that, but froze occasionally.

I'm downloading iso tool right now. 1.51 didn't find the EBOOT.PBP even if I put it in the proper folder. *sigh*

Let's see if 1.52 will find the damn eboot, otherwise I'll probably have to run all over just to get the damn PSN store version to convert to an iso to patch it. :/

Controls take some getting used to, but having a lot of fun thus far. I'm spending a lot of time in R&D and doing side missions, so I imagine this will last me quite a while given my schedule lately.

Snaku

Banned
Completed the first few missions. I'm really digging the Shooter type controls, a much more elegant solution for a PSP friendly MGS control scheme than what was offered in Portable Ops. The story begins with a really interesting hook, especially if you worship MGS3 as I do. Totally feels like MGS5, and that's all that matters. :D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Spoilers about a major event in the game... IT'S A BIG SPOILER GUYS, so don't highlight unless you really completed the game.

For those who have fought Zeke on the western version, does Love Deterrence still play during the fight?

thefil

"Snake,
Zadornov has escaped from his cell.
"

I am getting tired of hearing this.

bernardobri said:
Spoilers about a major event in the game...

For those who have fought Zeke on the western version, does Love Deterrence still play during the fight?

Oh I totally just got owned for thinking seeing the credits was enough to be spoiler-safe. :lol

Erigu

Vamphuntr said:
Nope I'm not wrong.
Huey himself tell Snake in one codec call (after the first chopper battle) that they chose Metal Gear Zeke because the Metal gear was the term coined by Granin (MGS 3).
*sigh*
Yes, which is why you were wrong when you said that Snake talked about how he fought a Metal Gear in Russia (he never did), and why I was right when I said it was an inconsistency that Snake and Huey come up with the name "Metal Gear" just now (based on Granin's words) when Snake had already fought two weapons called "Metal Gears" four years earlier, in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

As for the other thing read the wiki http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Boss (spoiler for every MGS possible)
And that proves me wrong... how? 'Looks like you keep completely missing the point...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Vamphuntr said:
Nooooooooooooooooo! you forgot the spoilertag :(

Nice stealth edit

I'm sorry, I tend to select the quote button then replace the words with the spoiler word. I made the change already (Did I spoil you, anyway? I hope not :/)

Oh I totally just got owned for thinking seeing the credits was enough to be spoiler-safe.

Aw crap, I will reedit the post... Forgot about that "little" detail.

I am only a couple of missions into the game but so far I am disappointed in the lack of real-time cut scenes. I don't actually enjoy playing any of the MGS games as I hate stealth gameplay and usually play them all on very easy and run through just shooting everybody to get to the awesome cut scenes because I do enjoy the story and characters. Can anyone who is farther through the game confirm that there are going to be more real time cut scenes as I play through the game? The motion comic stuff is cool and all, but from what little game footage I had seen without spoiling much for myself I had gotten the impression that there might be quite a few. I just don't want to get my hopes up for no reason, lol.

TheSeks

Ridley327: Update my man.

Try this out, that is if you're using the PSN store bought version. See if that'll run on your CFW PSP. If it doesn't, I'm stumped because it works for me. I just need to see if it'll freeze and if it does to get around that issue. But at least it's going somewhere.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
digita1alchemy said:
I am only a couple of missions into the game but so far I am disappointed in the lack of real-time cut scenes. I don't actually enjoy playing any of the MGS games as I hate stealth gameplay and usually play them all on very easy and run through just shooting everybody to get to the awesome cut scenes because I do enjoy the story and characters. Can anyone who is farther through the game confirm that there are going to be more real time cut scenes as I play through the game? The motion comic stuff is cool and all, but from what little game footage I had seen without spoiling much for myself I had gotten the impression that there might be quite a few. I just don't want to get my hopes up for no reason, lol.

Real-time cut scenes are usually used for boss fights introduction/endings. Everything else is Ashley Woods.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
16% done... 268 minutes to go.

1 gig takes about 2 minutes to download on my PC. About 4-5 minutes to download on my 360. Seriously, what the fuck is up with Sony's servers.

Vamphuntr

Erigu said:
*sigh*
Yes, which is why you were wrong when you said that Snake talked about how he fought a Metal Gear in Russia (he never did), and why I was right when I said it was an inconsistency that Snake and Huey come up with the name "Metal Gear" just now (based on Granin's words) when Snake had already fought two weapons called "Metal Gears" four years earlier, in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

But that is not an inconsistency.
They only referenced they first time the term was created. Huey and Miller might not know the whole events of PO. Kaz and Huey come with the name. The first time Snake tells Huey that in Russia he learned about metal gear. Did he have to say oh yeah I blown up two of them too? Later Huey and Kaz choose the name while you do the chopper mission.

Erigu said:
And that proves me wrong... how? 'Looks like you keep completely missing the point...x

Part I am right , part you are wrong.
Eva seems indeed wrong MGS 4. Either she thinks he left the Patriots because of his sons or either that's what Zero told him to keep her away. Because in PW it's clear Snake doesn't know about his sons. He was in coma 2 years before and that's where they took his genes. Hence Snake doesn't know at all about his son. Saying it's an inconsistency is not 100%

Phloxy

129170649427101630.jpg

Shinjitsu

Banned
FlyinJ said:
16% done... 268 minutes to go.

1 gig takes about 2 minutes to download on my PC. About 4-5 minutes to download on my 360. Seriously, what the fuck is up with Sony's servers.

Use the PC client, it took me about 3 min with Media Go off the US servers from Korea.

Sallokin

Anyone have a listing of Uniqlo shirt codes?

Here's what I have so far.

These are ones I bought from kidsamurai.com

Grey Snake Shirt - Peace Walker logo on chest, Snake art on back - 2000016737912
Navy Blue - MSF Logo - 2000016189896

Anyone have any other codes?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Shinjitsu said:
Use the PC client, it took me about 3 min with Media Go off the US servers from Korea.

Oh crap I never even considered that. Is Media Go a download accelerator?

FlyinJ said:
Oh crap I never even considered that. Is Media Go a download accelerator?

I thought about this, but transferring 2 gigs over USB sounds like it'd take a while. Plus then there's still the mandatory install. It might not save you that much time.

Anyways, 5 missions in and OMG SO GOOOD

TheSeks

Sallokin said:
Anyone have a listing of Uniqlo shirt codes?

Here's what I have so far.

These are ones I bought from kidsamurai.com

Grey Snake Shirt - Peace Walker logo on chest, Snake art on back - 2000016737912
Navy Blue - MSF Logo - 2000016189896

Anyone have any other codes?

Gamefaqs said:
n-Game T-Shirts

In Title Screen, go to Extras > Network > Enter Passcode to enter the following codes. You also need Playstation Network account.
Effect Code
Black T-Shirt with White Peace Walker Logo 2000016038415
Gray T-Shirt with MSF Logo 2000016032574
Gray T-Shirt with Snake Art at the Back 2000016032338
Olive T-Shirt with Snake Art 2000016035902

These?

Shinjitsu

Banned
autobzooty said:
I thought about this, but transferring 2 gigs over USB sounds like it'd take a while. Plus then there's still the mandatory install. It might not save you that much time.

Anyways, 5 missions in and OMG SO GOOOD

Transferring doesn't take long at all, the install in game took me longer than it took to download and transfer the game.

Branson

Is there a certain place where freezing issues occur on GEN-D3? I patched mine and ran the MGSfix thingy and I've only froze once when loading an area. I'm on the sixth Main Op.

thefil

I'm having so much trouble ranking this game in my head.

I'm fairly certain it's not as good as 3, but I would KILL to have these controls in 3.

I'm pretty sure it's better than 4, but even though 4 had limited content there were some "rooms" that were much more fun to tackle than PW's, just as a result of the intelligence/scale that came with the PS3 and the presence of Metal Gears.

And neither of those games have the sheer quantity and diversity (Sabotage, recruitment, shooting, awesome boss fights, etc) of missions that this game does. It's a tough call.

Erigu

Vamphuntr said:
The first time Snake tells Huey that in Russia he learned about metal gear.
He simply remembers Granin's words about a "metal gear" when he hears about Huey's project.

Did he have to say oh yeah I blown up two of them too?
There's a Huey briefing file about the name "Metal Gear". Listen to it and tell me that it's not "weird" how Snake keeps saying "those were Granin's words, anyway" without ever mentioning that he already brought down two weapons named that four years earlier.
Obviously, they're either ignoring or forgetting about that "little detail" from Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

Part I am right , part you are wrong.
*facepalm*

Eva seems indeed wrong MGS 4.
Finally. That sure took a while.

He was in coma 2 years before and that's where they took his genes.
The games never said anything about Big Boss being in a coma, actually. That was just a bad translation in Metal Gear Solid.
And again, it's not like you need someone to be in a coma to clone him/her, really...

Saying it's an inconsistency is not 100%
Sure, it's not an inconsistency if we assume EVA didn't know what the hell she was talking about when she explained all that. Those are just Big Boss' reasons for leaving the Patriots, nothing crucial, after all.
It's obviously an inconsistency or another retcon. Let's not pretend otherwise.

dream

thefil said:

I'm fairly certain it's not as good as 3, but I would KILL to have these controls in 3.

I'm pretty sure it's better than 4, but even though 4 had limited content there were some "rooms" that were much more fun to tackle than PW's, just as a result of the intelligence/scale that came with the PS3 and the presence of Metal Gears.

And neither of those games have the sheer quantity and diversity (Sabotage, recruitment, shooting, awesome boss fights, etc) of missions that this game does. It's a tough call.

Jesus, that's exactly how I feel about this game.

Bebpo

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
WOW awesome collection Bebpo!

Thanks! Just been picking up various things over the year when they come out. MGS is my favorite series ever, so I nerd out with it :)

Y2Kev said:
I don't have PO+ or Acid 2

Yeah, I never picked up PO+ either, or even the MGO expansions because competitive online MGS isn't really what I play the series for. Plus everytime I tried to play MGS3 online I'd get headshotted in 2 seconds ^^;

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Quick question!

I'm playing from my ripped UMD.

I'm going to install to get the voiced codec calls, but do I need to do the larger one? Is there a benefit since I'm already running from the stick?

Vamphuntr

Erigu said:
Sure, it's not an inconsistency if we assume EVA didn't know what the hell she was talking about when she explained all that. Those are just Big Boss' reasons for leaving the Patriots, nothing crucial, after all.
It's obviously an inconsistency or another retcon. Let's not pretend otherwise.

They have still much to explain. I have yet to see him references his sons in PW. Yet in the case of the portable ops metal gear it's an inconsistency while here it seem implied it's not. He probably has no ideas. If he doesn't know now, maybe he will get to know eventually... There is still some blank in the timeline. Did he go back to Zero for a while? While did Snake go back to foxhound if he founded Outer Heaven?I mean if you want to find an obvious retcon Miller is one. He is American in MG2 and MGS and now he is Japanese? Kojima likes convulted plot alright.

Well I think we should stop cluttering the thread with spoiler tags :lol

thefil said:

Playing this just makes me hate MGS4 even more, the gameplay was so half-assed in that game. The Drebin Shop should've had something similar to the R&D system seen here, having to actually work for better hardware would've made it so much better.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok yeah, Media Go is extremely fast. Downloaded the game in 2 minutes. Can you use this to download PSN games and demos as well?

It's so much faster than downloading to the PS3 directly... why can't they get the PS3 to download from PSN this quickly?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FlyinJ said:
Ok yeah, Media Go is extremely fast. Downloaded the game in 2 minutes. Can you use this to download PSN games and demos as well?

It's so much faster than downloading to the PS3 directly... why can't they get the PS3 to download from PSN this quickly?

Do you have ur PC and your PS3 connected in the very same way? Sounds odd u are getting different speeds since they both connect to the very same network.

Erigu

Vamphuntr said:
I have yet to see him references his sons in PW.
Well, that's the thing: he doesn't know about them nor about that project. See Huey's briefing file about the nuclear deterrence theory.

If he doesn't know now, maybe he will get to know eventually...
He's supposed to eventually tell Snake that he's his father, so yeah, he will obviously find out at some point.
My point was that him not knowing about all that during the events of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker contradicts what EVA said about his reasons for leaving the Patriots.

Did he go back to Zero for a while? While did Snake go back to foxhound if he founded Outer Heaven?
That sure is going to be a hard one to explain for Kojima...

I mean if you want to find an obvious retcon Miller is one. He is American in MG2 and MGS and now he is Japanese? Kojima likes convulted plot alright.
Well, there's simply "convoluted", and then there's "retcon-heavy"... ^^;

Well I think we should stop cluttering the thread with spoiler tags :lol
Yeah, I guess. ^_^;

TheSeks

Hmmm... so far so good. Completed the tutorial with no issues. Haven't started into the game proper to see if my CFW fixes will fuck up yet. But *crosses fingers* I think getting the damn thing to boot and run is over.

Got an "A" in the tutorial. Didn't know that the cut-scenes have a few QTE, so I missed 3 of them and got ranked that. ARGH. Gotta go back through it and do those perfect to get the S rank, I guess.

I love that using the weapons will rank them up. Plus you get unlocks depending on performance in the levels.

So far that's addicting. Let's see how long that hooks me and if it starts to get irritating.

I do think this is better than MGS4. But that's mostly because MGS4's story was a mess. The only issue I have is that
this is taking the Boss and dragging her through the mud.
Which I think will piss off a bunch of MGS3 fans (well, it does me at least but that's because I like their character) in the process. I hope Kojima has a good reason for doing that. Haven't progressed enough to see though.

So far, it's great. I haven't had issues with the Action/MPO controls like I did the demo. However, the gunplay is still sort-of-shitty, but I can deal with it a lot better now.

Kudos for this, Kojima. Def. worth the $40 I paid for it so far.

Branson

Nakazato said:
Anyone know if you can hold ppl up still ?? if so how close do you need to be the enemy

You can, its a bit closer than when the CQC button pops up. Switching to Auto Aim really helps with holding guards up.

TheSeks

Nakazato said:
Anyone know if you can hold ppl up still ?? if so how close do you need to be the enemy

You can apparently, but I haven't done it myself. You can hold them up with the stun rod, I believe so doesn't matter how close AFAIK.

Top Bottom