• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Master Pain said:
Isn't there a mention of San Hieronymo (location of Portable Ops?) in an early convo with Miller? Something like the new base beats what they had in San Hieronymo...Thought I saw that in some footage, haven't started playing yet though. Otherwise there probably isn't much mention of it. PW seems to be a second but more definitive attempt at what Kojima wanted for PO.
Okay, that's right. To be honest with you, I did not remember that is where PO's base was. Because I did not remember. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheSeks said:
1965-1967 MGS3
(Port Ops is here, but it retcons Grey Fox, so I don't consider it part of the timeline and Kojima didn't direct it so fuck it)
1970 MGS5: PW
1995 MG1
1998 MG2:SS
2005 MGS1
2007 MGS2
2009 MGS4
where does ac!d fit into this?

:lol

<3 ac!d

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AstroLad said:
where does ac!d fit into this?

:lol

<3 ac!d

AC!D is a sidestory. It doesn't fit into these. But it's around the timeline of.... 2005-2007, IIRC.

Varth

Graphics Horse said:
I've just been replaying it, lost my save so back to collecting all the cards again.

Too bad. The game really flies on the second playtrough. Strategy gets really deep.

for anyone that downloaded PW, you don't need to install the whole package. says "the larger the package, the faster your game will run (applies to the disc based version of the game). so only the small package install is needed..

Anony

autobzooty said:
Definitely not true. Kojima has said that he expects Peace Walker to be many people's first MGS game and has probably designed the storytelling to be okay with that, but Peace Walker's story specifically fills in holes and answers questions relevant to the entire series. I recommend at least playing MGS3 before Peace Walker in order to fully appreciate the game, but you'll probably at least understand the flow of events, if not the nuances.

You should play MGS3 anyways though because it's awesome.

well fuck

1. my ps2 laser is wonky
2. my pc is not fast enough for emulator

should i hold out?

Jigsaw

Banned
TheSeks said:
1965-1967 MGS3
(Port Ops is here, but it retcons Grey Fox, so I don't consider it part of the timeline and Kojima didn't direct it so fuck it)

but it is essential,it reveals who the patriots are,how ocelot gets the other part of the legacy back and that zero = evil

TheSeks

Ridley327 said:
The PSN version does not want to boot for some reason. I'm not sure what do here. :-/

Yeah, I downgraded to D2. Not giving me the option to boot it.

I'm trying to NPD (no, not salesage) it right now. I'll let you know if removing the DRM lets it run. :/

TheSeks

Jigsaw said:
but it is essential,it reveals who the patriots are,how ocelot gets the other part of the legacy back and that zero = evil

Two of which are explained in MGS4, and one of which isn't hugely important to the story (but a nice mention none the less).

Bebpo

Banned
Jigsaw said:

Doesn't MGS4 do all that though?

I thought the only thing PO actually adds to the timeline is:
A. Gray Fox background
B. Roy Cambell background
C. How Snake started an army
D. How Snake got the idea for Outer Haven

Which kind of oddly enough is (PEACE WALKER SPOILER)
probably more than Peace Walker added! :lol ;_;

Vamphuntr

Hmmm how do you beat extra ops 69 without blowing up the vehicle?

I guess I have to come back later. I can blow it up fine but there are so much soldier coming out. I got rid of 15-20 before I died.

Ephemeris

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I really want to play this game, but I can't afford to splash out on a PSP.

Is a PS3 release feasible sometime down the line?
....... Maybe.

Apparently there's a PSP emu integrated into [debug?] firmware 3.15 (can't confirm), and paired with this :

Gamepro said:
The release date for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is a little over a month away, but the game may have a future beyond the PlayStation Portable. GamePro contributor Ben PerLee describes an interesting interlude during his Peace Walker Bootcamp experience.

"So after I had done the preview, [Konami] had a Q/A session with us to get our complaints/ideas about the game," PerLee reported. "Other than the basics, they asked what we thought about if they released it on PSN for the PS3 as well and had online multiplayer."

While it's not uncommon for a developer to ask journalists these focus-group questions, it is interesting to note that the Konami representative asking the questions actually wrote down the answers. It could just be that the developer wants to anticipate criticisms of the game in forthcoming reviews, or it could be research for Hideo Kojima's new mystery project. Or there could indeed be a PSN release for Peace Walker farther down the line.

TheSeks

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Is a PS3 release feasible sometime down the line?

No. PSP release ONRY.

DO YOU RIKE IT?

Edit: And that PSP emulator is for minis, which run (to the best of my knowledge) quite poorly on the PS3. Sony has no plans of letting UMD/DD PSP games that aren't minis run on the PS3. So yeah. PSP exclusive.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
why the hell people has so many problems in bosses fights??

I cant believe how fun the game is , is the only since since Diablo II that I actually replay,and plan on playing after the main story! is THAT good

jimid2

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
That bandanna is nice. Damn GameStop exclusives. I really want one.
It's cheap but cool! My band's gigging this weekend and I'm going to wear it while playing those nights... :lol

Ephemeris

TheSeks said:
No. PSP release ONRY.

DO YOU RIKE IT?

Edit: And that PSP emulator is for minis, which run (to the best of my knowledge) quite poorly on the PSP. Sony has no plans of letting UMD/DD PSP games that aren't minis run on the PS3. So yeah. PSP exclusive.
Sounds about right. Besides, with my luck, it'll show up on PS3-PSN, have online play, but wouldn't let me import my save. :/

Erigu

Master Pain said:
Isn't there a mention of San Hieronymo (location of Portable Ops?) in an early convo with Miller?
I believe that's it though. And there are actually three "odd details" that make me wonder if Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is worth remembering at all, despite Konami's claims that it's canonical:
(spoilers for both games, obviously)
1) Snake and Huey seem to come up with the name "Metal Gear" during the game... despite the fact Snake destroyed a couple of "Metal Gears" four years before.
2) Coldman claims to be the one who planned the mission to kill the Boss, and Snake never goes "hey, you wouldn't happen to be the cunning strategist Gene was referring to, the one who supposedly set her up in the first place, say?"
3) EVA comments that Snake has been using the Legacy to form MSF. Nothing about Gene.

Then again, the game also seems to contradict Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots:
According to EVA, Snake left the Patriots because he found out he had been cloned. In this game, it looks like he's already out, but he also still thinks the whole "cloning" thing is preposterous science fiction. Obviously, he doesn't know that he has been cloned two years earlier. What gives?

Continuity, Kojima, damnit!

Vamphuntr

dgenx said:
why the hell people has so many problems in bosses fights??

For my case it was much more about equipment selection. The first time I fought the first AI, I didn't bring 2 rocket launchers. Then I discovered you can have more than 1 healing items in the inventory slots.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Erigu said:
I believe that's it though. And there are actually three "odd details" that make me wonder if Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is worth remembering at all, despite Konami's claims that it's canonical:
1) Snake and Huey seem to come up with the name "Metal Gear" during the game... despite the fact Snake destroyed a couple of "Metal Gears" four years before.
2) Coldman claims to be the one who planned the mission to kill the Boss, and Snake never goes "hey, you wouldn't happen to be the cunning strategist Gene was referring to, the one who supposedly set her up in the first place, say?"
3) EVA comments that Snake has been using the Legacy to form MSF. Nothing about Gene.

Then again, the game also seems to contradict Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots:
According to EVA, Snake left the Patriots because he found out he had been cloned. In this game, it looks like he's already out, but he also still thinks the whole "cloning" thing is preposterous science fiction. Obviously, he doesn't know that he has been cloned two years earlier. What gives?

Didn't read the spoiler. But MGS4 seemed to contradict any MGS game in existence.:lol (mostly MGS2!).

Erigu

Lafiel said:
Didn't read the spoiler. But MGS4 seemed to contradict any MGS game in existence.:lol (mostly MGS2!).
Well, those spoilers you didn't read definitely aren't the first retcons in the franchise... but still, I kinda wish Kojima would calm down a bit with those eventually. ^^;

Vamphuntr

Erigu said:
Oh and careful how you label those. I had no idea about the two second ones.

You are wrong. This is explained in one of the briefing tape.
In one of them snake explains how he fought metal gear in russia before

Erigu said:

Snake was uncounscious when he was cloned. Simple as that. In PW he still doesn't know yet

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The thing I think is most effective about the bosses in this game is that Kojima really managed to make
AI scary as hell.
The sounds and the songs...freaky as hell IMO...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kind of surprised that Amazon got me my copy of this today.
I was expecting it later this week.

Bebpo said:
New member MGS family member is very nice indeed (^_^)

mgscollect02.jpg

what the fuck
pretty cool man :)

Ridley327 said:
No one can blame you; no one really wants to remember PO, least of all Kojima.

Where the fuck you get that from? Kojima produced that game and included material from it in MGS4. Because some ppl didn't like the game on PSP Kojima suddenly doesn't like it?

Vamphuntr

Idioteque said:
Not enjoying this game as much as I expected.
The Second tank boss is really pissing me off.I just cant beat it.

It's quite easy. Just try to trick him into firing his cannon on his allies.

TheSeks

Woah, woah, back the fuck up.

There is STOCKHOLDER editions of Konami games, seriously?

Ridley327

BattleMonkey said:
Where the fuck you get that from? Kojima produced that game and included material from it in MGS4. Because some ppl didn't like the game on PSP Kojima suddenly doesn't like it?

It would appear my efforts at an easy and cheeky joke have all been for naught.

Any update on an ISO conversion for the PSN version, Seks?

Top Bottom