• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Daigoro

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Just fucking manup and buy it! :D

I did and I'm discovering a lot of nice cheap as hell RPG games...and I can play PS1 games on the go.

if i didnt just get my first mortgage and my wife get laid off from her job in the same month it would be bought already.

as it is, im still very tempted.

*im not doing a very good job of staying out of this thread.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
do I need the OFW to play ad hoc? I downloaded to my ps3, go to the menu in PW to find a host but nothing, do I need to like register mi psp or something?

duckroll

dgenx said:
do I need the OFW to play ad hoc? I downloaded to my ps3, go to the menu in PW to find a host but nothing, do I need to like register mi psp or something?

Who.... are you trying to play with?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
duckroll said:
Who.... are you trying to play with?

any random person like in Xbox live....

am I doing it wrong?

Foffy

Banned
dgenx said:
any random person like in Xbox live....

am I doing it wrong?

I think you can use Ad Hoc Party, a PSN application, to get connectivity worldwide.

I think the online is structured to be much more local than typical online games, which is probably the largest downfall to the game.

dgenx

wat is the adhoc party from asia and US different? dammit

duckroll

dgenx said:
wat is the adhoc party from asia and US different? dammit

I don't really understand what you're trying to do... ^^;

Edit: If you use SEARCH in Adhoc Party, and it's not finding any games, then no one is playing the game at the moment.

dgenx

duckroll said:
I don't really understand what you're trying to do... ^^;

Edit: If you use SEARCH in Adhoc Party, and it's not finding any games, then no one is playing the game at the moment.

I just wanna play videogames with other people ;_;

nilbog21

Banned
Problem: my psp memory card is only 1gb. Anything I can do? Does it take the same memory card as digital cameras or wii's or something? :|

duckroll

dgenx said:
I just wanna play videogames with other people ;_;

So arrange with other people playing the game too meet up in Adhoc Party to play? I've already played several missions with Y2Kev so far. Yesterday we took down two bosses together. It was great fun.

Adhoc Party is only a lobby system, it can't magically create players who don't exist. :p

If you know Japanese, you can jump on the Japanese Adhoc Party lobbies. There are almost always PW games going on throughout the day there. But If you don't understand any Japanese, I would recommend not doing it because you might annoy people if you don't understand what they're saying. Nothing is more annoying than getting some guy join a game who doesn't understand what "no kill" means. :(

dgenx

duckroll said:
So arrange with other people playing the game too meet up in Adhoc Party to play? I've already played several missions with Y2Kev so far. Yesterday we took down two bosses together. It was great fun.

Adhoc Party is only a lobby system, it can't magically create players who don't exist. :p

(

when are you going to be online? I saw the room on the other thread

Foffy

Banned
duckroll said:

If you know Japanese, you can jump on the Japanese Adhoc Party lobbies. There are almost always PW games going on throughout the day there. But If you don't understand any Japanese, I would recommend not doing it because you might annoy people if you don't understand what they're saying. Nothing is more annoying than getting some guy join a game who doesn't understand what "no kill" means. :(

Is the Ad Hoc region based, or is it worldwide? Like, can US players with US copies play with JP users and their copies?

duckroll

Foffy said:
Is the Ad Hoc region based, or is it worldwide? Like, can US players with US copies play with JP users and their copies?

PW itself is worldwide. I'm using a JP copy and I have no problems playing with kev who has a US copy. Adhoc Party itself, the software, is regioned. So if one player launches the US version, and someone else launching the JP version, they'll be on different lobby servers entirely and won't see each other. Since the software is free, it's not a big deal to just download the right version to play together.

Foffy

Banned
duckroll said:
PW itself is worldwide. I'm using a JP copy and I have no problems playing with kev who has a US copy. Adhoc Party itself, the software, is regioned. So if one player launches the US version, and someone else launching the JP version, they'll be on different lobby servers entirely and won't see each other. Since the software is free, it's not a big deal to just download the right version to play together.

Oh, that's easy enough. I just need to plug in my PS3 to my router, which is in another room...:lol

That sounds much better than the locking between regions with MGO, certainly.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Goddamn Kojima ... i will buy a PSP just for one single game.

quick question:

I want to play this masterpiece with a friend who lives in another country. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

nilbog21 said:
Problem: my psp memory card is only 1gb. Anything I can do? Does it take the same memory card as digital cameras or wii's or something? :|

Not a problem. The largest installation file in 800mb anyway. So you can fit that in your current memory stick, but nearly nothing else.

:/

EDIT: I'm assuming that you're going to buy a UMD, not a digital copy.

duckroll

Sn4ke_911 said:
Goddamn Kojima ... i will buy a PSP just for one single game.

quick question:

I want to play this masterpiece with a friend who lives in another country. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Depends, do you and your friend both have a non-20gig PS3 which is wired to a router/modem?

Sn4ke_911

duckroll said:
Depends, do you and your friend both have a non-20gig PS3 which is wired to a router/modem?

I have a old fat 60GB PS3, but im not sure which one my friend got. Yes we both are wired to a router. So if we can play for example Uncharted 2 together, it should work with PW too?

duckroll

Sn4ke_911 said:
I have a old fat 60GB PS3, but im not sure which one my friend got. Yes we both are wired to a router. So if we can play for example Uncharted 2 together, it should work with PW too?

Well, both PS3s need to have wireless capabilities (so no 20gig), but yet the internet connection to the PS3 has to be wired (so Adhoc Party can use the wireless to communicate with the PSP).

Sn4ke_911

duckroll said:
Well, both PS3s need to have wireless capabilities (so no 20gig), but yet the internet connection to the PS3 has to be wired (so Adhoc Party can use the wireless to communicate with the PSP).

Ok, thank you sir. *tips hat*

trk_rkd

Banned
I'm trying to start a US account so i can dl this sucker but it's rejecting my credit card details (presumably because it's not an american card). Does anybody know a way around this?

Takao

Banned
I'm not very far into the main campaign, but my gosh, I'm really loving this. Word to the wise
don't press anything but the action button when you're on that bridge.
:lol

Aurelius

Just ordered it after reading the Edge review. I'm really hyped about the game, MGS3 was my favorite MGS-game. :D

Is it possible to install the game on the memory card? I hate loading times.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Aurelius said:
Just ordered it after reading the Edge review. I'm really hyped about the game, MGS3 was my favorite MGS-game. :D

Is it possible to install the game on the memory card? I hate loading times.

Yep, u can.

duckroll

TTP said:
Yep, u can.

Unfortunately the loading times are still pretty bad for a major new PSP game. I can understand why, sorta, but with both MGS4 and MGS5, Kojima Productions' strong point clearly isn't data management and streaming. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
duckroll said:
Unfortunately the loading times are still pretty bad for a major new PSP game. I can understand why, sorta, but with both MGS4 and MGS5, Kojima Productions' strong point clearly isn't data management and streaming. :lol

I wonder if the "PSPGo version" is faster. I guess built in mem is faster than Mem stick.

Anyway, I love the supply drop gun. Use it on enemies :lol Now I get why it goes into a weapon slot rather than a gadget one.

duckroll

TTP said:
I wonder if the "PSPGo version" is faster. I guess built in mem is faster than Mem stick.

Anyway, I love the supply drop gun. Use it on enemies :lol Now I get why it goes into a weapon slot rather than a gadget one.

I really don't think the bottleneck is the actual media speed. KH BbS loads areas much faster, except for the cutscenes, but those are really high quality.

I don't usually use the supply drop throw marker or the gun. I prefer the placement one. I can see how the gun can be really fun if you're "dropping" stuff onto a bunch of enemies though. :lol

I used the Stun Tank Box with kev the other day too, on a sneaking mission. It was pretty damn fun with me moving around and him firing. Until the alert triggered and 2 guards came from behind us, and I guess he couldn't turn completely around to fire so it got all bad. Lulz. I love using the ambulance box in 4 player boss missions too. It makes saving teammates much easier, and it looks awesome too. :D

Wanace

Stayed up too late playing last night. I forgot how much I suck at MGS games :lol

Still, this is LEAGUES, LEAGUES better than Portable Ops. The fulton system alone makes this game worth it.

Action mode is my favorite control setup. Really enjoying it so far.

TTP said:

Loading on my psp go is around 10 seconds for the first mission. I don't know if that helps!

edit: finished first mission, ~2 seconds to load the
interactive cut-scene

lunlunqq said:
How does this game save?????

I can't find it anywhere in the menu. :mad:
auto-save i think? I've only played 5 minutes of the game.

edit: you can save in the
mother base
as well. Press R for system then save data.

lunlunqq

Solid warrior said:
auto-save i think? I've only played 5 minutes of the game.

edit: you can save in the
mother base
as well. Press R for system then save data.

Thanks. so you cannot save whenever you want? I was forced to quit right after I started my first mission yesterday. Wonder what will happen when I turn it on today.

Daigoro said:
if i didnt just get my first mortgage and my wife get laid off from her job in the same month it would be bought already.

as it is, im still very tempted.

*im not doing a very good job of staying out of this thread.

Sell the house.
Buy MGS 5
????
Profit!

Salaadin

lunlunqq said:
Thanks. so you cannot save whenever you want? I was forced to quit right after I started my first mission yesterday. Wonder what will happen when I turn it on today.

When you are at your home base screen, hit over to the right as far as it goes. It lets you save there.

Oni Jazar

Brandon F said:
Also why is there no 'Syphon Filter/Resistance' style control scheme?? Syphon Filter accomplishes what this game tries to do FOUR YEARS AGO across two separate games(three with Resistance), and Kojima didn't adopt it? Face buttons=movement, nub=aiming, d-pad=action/equipment/crouch toggle. The hell! This game SCREAMS like a mantis for it!

Agreed 10000%. It's a damn shame they didn't adopt this scheme. There is a control option to use the nub for aiming while holding down L&R but you can't run, aim and shoot.

Callibretto said:
analog nub is crucial for movement in peace walker because it determine movement speed for stalking behind enemy.

Crouch = stalking. Problem solved. Keyboard and mouse people get by with digital movement without any problems.

Oni Jazar said:
Agreed 10000%. It's a damn shame they didn't adopt this scheme. There is a control option to use the nub for aiming while holding down L&R but you can't run, aim and shoot.

Crouch = stalking. Problem solved. Keyboard and mouse people get by with digital movement without any problems.

you'll get spotted if you approach enemy from behind by pushing the full range of analog nub. you have to push the analog halfway to slowly stalk enemy so that he won't notice.

imo, that half pushing the analog is part of the tension stalking enemy, when I finally made it to choke or hold the enemy, it felt so satisfying. I don't think I want to trade that with simply pressing face button.

Reknoc

Oni Jazar said:

Pretty sure Splinter Cell has you use the mouse wheel to speed up or slow down when crouching so clearly not.

thefil

Callibretto said:
imo, that half pushing the analog is part of the tension stalking enemy, when I finally made it to choke or hold the enemy, it felt so satisfying. I don't think I want to trade that with simply pressing face button.

Once you get the sneaking suit, nobody can hear your footsteps. It's Godmode.

Top Bottom