• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

So does anyone know what's going on with the UK release date? Was June 18th and I preordered. Then got an email yesterday saying it had changed to the 9th July, so I ordered the US version. Just checked my email there now and GAME have sent another one saying the date has changed again to June 18th?! :/

Reknoc

JustAnotherOtaku said:
So does anyone know what's going on with the UK release date? Was June 18th and I preordered. Then got an email yesterday saying it had changed to the 9th July, so I ordered the US version. Just checked my email there now and GAME have sent another one saying the date has changed again to June 18th?! :/

Guess GAME pressed the wrong button or something and accidently changed the release date.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
nilbog21 said:
aha ya the only thing i have used this thing for is Portable ops. the game library on the psp is garbage :lol

it was worth it for portable ops tho :]

Sure, if you're a moron that is stuck living in 2005.

Since 2006-2007 the PSP library has been phenomenal. But if you aren't an RPG/fighting game nut you probably won't find too much.

dallow_bg said:
Ah crap, sucks I have to be on the OFW to get the network goodies from the extras menu.
Any way around that?

PSNfucker plugin, AFAIK. Or CWCheat maybe. I dunno, that'll be my project this weekend to try out. :lol

Nicktendo86

JustAnotherOtaku said:

Exactly the same emails here, they must have fucked up. Glad too, was planning to take this with me on holiday.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loaded up Syphon Filter again just for curiosity and it boggles my mind how feature rich it comes across compared to MGS(in terms of the action). Beyond the more suitable look/aim configuration, you have a full complement of combat options when glued to a wall including sidling(thanks to facebutton movement), free-aim, and even lock-on corner kills. I replayed the entire set of first missions and was handily stabbing guards and making quick precision headshots on anything and everything...

Granted, it doesn't have the camo index stuff or a prone option, and the movement isn't 'analog' for sneaking, but MGS isn't exactly conveying a rich argument for those options existing so far(Anyone wanna step up to the plate on why sneaking NEEDS half-push nub movement...cause I can't see a reason for it yet beyond pissing me off!). Peace Walker leaves me feeling like I am fumbling the ball consistently, while Syphon Filter is having me surgically performing my mission objectives like the REAL Big Boss.

this might be the 2nd game i actually finish on PSP (1st was gow)...there are other decent PSP games but nothing ive felt compelled to finish except for these two..

im still struggling with the shooter controls a bit...really wish this game was on ps3 and used the more normal dual shock controls...tried the action controls and just found those terrible...

simple question...how do i equip other weapons like rocket launcher? does my r&d team have to be at a certain level to be able to equip these newer weapons? this part of the game is kind of confusing...

TheSeks

nolookjones said:
simple question...how do i equip other weapons like rocket launcher? does my r&d team have to be at a certain level to be able to equip these newer weapons? this part of the game is kind of confusing...

R&D developed. Mission selction->Mission Prep->Empty Slot in weapon or a weapon you don't want. X->RPG-7->X->O->RPG-7 should be in a slot for the Weapon menu for the mission(s) you want to use it in.

thefil

Brandon F said:
Loaded up Syphon Filter again just for curiosity and it boggles my mind how feature rich it comes across compared to MGS(in terms of the action). Beyond the more suitable look/aim configuration, you have a full complement of combat options when glued to a wall including sidling(thanks to facebutton movement), free-aim, and even lock-on corner kills. I replayed the entire set of first missions and was handily stabbing guards and making quick precision headshots on anything and everything...

Granted, it doesn't have the camo index stuff or a prone option, and the movement isn't 'analog' for sneaking, but MGS isn't exactly conveying a rich argument for those options existing so far(Anyone wanna step up to the plate on why sneaking NEEDS half-push nub movement...cause I can't see a reason for it yet beyond pissing me off!). Peace Walker leaves me feeling like I am fumbling the ball consistently, while Syphon Filter is having me surgically performing my mission objectives like the REAL Big Boss.

This sounds like I should try Syphon filter. Is it more shooty or stealthy style game?

TheSeks said:
R&D developed. Mission selction->Mission Prep->Empty Slot in weapon or a weapon you don't want. X->RPG-7->X->O->RPG-7 should be in a slot for the Weapon menu for the mission(s) you want to use it in.

ya i figured this part out but there doesnt seem to be any new weapons available to choose in this menu

TheSeks

nolookjones said:
ya i figured this part out but there doesnt seem to be any new weapons available to choose in this menu

o_O My developed stuff was there just fine. If it isn't there your R&D isn't finished or there is something missing. Go to motherbase, hover on the RPG-7 and look at the top right to see if "Level needed" is there. If it is, maybe there is a R&D level required to equip it, but if that's the case, that's fucking stupid. :/

Question for those who have played it: hows the soundtrack on this game? Is Harry Gregson Williams the composer? Do they use the classic MGS theme? (or whatever they're actually allowed to use following that plagiarism debacle?)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Aeana said:
Tara Strong does such a great job with the accent and manner-of-speaking with Paz.
As a native speaker, I kinda laughed at her accent when she started speaking.

Maybe it gets better later though.

I want this to be the first PSP game I buy but I have a few questions. I was planning on playing this solo but they are saying that some missions almost can't even be done without co-op play? Is this game set up that I can just play with random people to beat missions?

I'm in the second mission
where i have to contact the comandante
I've reached the goal/target but I don't where to go, also I've seen
a place with a huge hole on the roof, it says if i can find something to stand on I'd be able to reach it.
. help plz?

edit: mission complete, but i still would like to know how to reach that roof.

Brandon F

Ken Masters said:
I want this to be the first PSP game I buy but I have a few questions. I was planning on playing this solo but they are saying that some missions almost can't even be done without co-op play? Is this game set up that I can just play with random people to beat missions?

No 'proper' online, and it will be a huge cocktease given how much the game shoves all the connectivity stuff down your throat. Seems like the game should be manageable all the way to the end solo though, just don't expect S-ranking everything without friends it seems, if that even matters to you.

Takao

Banned
I've been playing the game for a couple of hours, I've died a bunch of times trying to rescue
Amanda
. :lol

Load times are pretty decent with the PSN copy. I remember that the demo was brutal in terms of loading areas, oddily longer than what the actual game takes to load.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Brandon F said:

You can't hold someone up without half-push sneaking and no sneaking suit.

There's very, very limited stealth in Syphon Filter.

No 'proper' online, and it will be a huge cocktease given how much the game shoves all the connectivity stuff down your throat. Seems like the game should be manageable all the way to the end solo though, just don't expect S-ranking everything without friends it seems, if that even matters to you.

You can S-Rank all the story missions solo.

Brandon F said:

Bang on with everything, the Syphon Filter games controlled fantastically and Peace Walker is a mess in comparison. I'm perplexed why we can't toggle stuff like going prone or hugging a wall.

Brandon F

Y2Kev said:
You can't hold someone up without half-push sneaking and no sneaking suit.

There's very, very limited stealth in Syphon Filter.

You can S-Rank all the story missions solo.

I wouldn't say limited sneaking in SF at all. Every mission can be replayed and there are noted challenges for unlocks to completing missions being stealthy. It does have many scenarios mid-mission where it forces combat though, but that is all part of the sheer variety in the level design, it throws new stuff at you constantly.

Also I keep reading that S-ranking many of the boss fights is damn near impossible solo due to time-constraints as well as limited ammo(you get penalized for calling in air supplies). I don't know this yet first hand, but it has been mentioned. I don't doubt that everything can be beaten solo though.

The Wise Old Man said:
Question for those who have played it: hows the soundtrack on this game? Is Harry Gregson Williams the composer? Do they use the classic MGS theme? (or whatever they're actually allowed to use following that plagiarism debacle?)

I was wondering why they never just licensed the song that sounded similar to cover their butts and just continued making versions of the original MGS theme.

I can't imagine it would be all that cost prohibitive to license an obscure classical track.

Class_A_Ninja said:
I was wondering why they never just licensed the song that sounded similar to cover their butts and just continued making versions of the original MGS theme.

I can't imagine it would be all that cost prohibitive to license an obscure classical track.

Yeah, indeed. So what's the verdict on the OST? Is it any good?

duckroll

Oh MAN! I just did some more wifi recruiting and recruited a bunch of A rank soldiers and medical staff, and even a S rank researcher! Fuck yeah! Also, I finally found where the fucking Meta-material researcher was in one of the Perfect Stealth Extra Ops, now I can make Stealth Mats! FuCK YEAH!

thefil

duckroll said:
Oh MAN! I just did some more wifi recruiting and recruited a bunch of A rank soldiers and medical staff, and even a S rank researcher! Fuck yeah! Also, I finally found where the fucking Meta-material researcher was in one of the Perfect Stealth Extra Ops, now I can make Stealth Mats! FuCK YEAH!

I forgot about this D:. I have to bring my PSP to work.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
duckroll said:

omgomgomg tomorrow Im going Coffee shops hunting then!

why is everything about peace walker awesome :(

duckroll said:

Pardon my ignorance (I'm only about an hour in), but where is this feature? I assume it's somewhere in the options for Mother Base...? Probably unlocked later, I figured I would ask.

I need to do this, loved the feature in PO.

masterkajo

I am still not 100% convinced if I should get this game. I am fan of the MGSeries and have played all titles thus far. I could borrow a PSP from a friend to play it (did it back when Portable Ops was released) but I am just not liking the controls on PSP. They are better than Portable Ops IMO but I still always get cramps when using PSP to play games.

Wasn't there a rumour that it will come for PS3 as downloadable game with PS3 Controller support? Is there any chance this might happen? Because if so, I will gladly wait to experience it with a good controller and on big screen (even if it is pixled then).

lopes16

Neo Member
TheMissingLink said:
Pardon my ignorance (I'm only about an hour in), but where is this feature? I assume it's somewhere in the options for Mother Base...? Probably unlocked later, I figured I would ask.

I need to do this, loved the feature in PO.
Yup, you have to wait until later in the game.

MechaX

I would love to pick this up, but given how my PSP LCD screen has apparently crapped out for no reason, now I'll be set back around $60-80 dollars. Sorry MGS5, I'll have to wait a couple of months. Hopefully the WiFi scene is still pretty good around then.

Brandon F said:
What do you mean proper online ?

duckroll

What the FUCK. PSN will be down for at least another TEN hours? Why the fuck is there half a day's worth of maintenance? Wtf is this?

duckroll said:
What the FUCK. PSN will be down for at least another TEN hours? Why the fuck is there half a day's worth of maintenance? Wtf is this?
hah. I don't know but damn it was slow last night when I was trying to download Portable Ops (decided I should play that first). Took like an hour.

masterkajo said:
I am still not 100% convinced if I should get this game. I am fan of the MGSeries and have played all titles thus far. I could borrow a PSP from a friend to play it (did it back when Portable Ops was released) but I am just not liking the controls on PSP. They are better than Portable Ops IMO but I still always get cramps when using PSP to play games.

Wasn't there a rumour that it will come for PS3 as downloadable game with PS3 Controller support? Is there any chance this might happen? Because if so, I will gladly wait to experience it with a good controller and on big screen (even if it is pixled then).
oh, my brother always brings up the controller issue. he didn't like portable ops because of the controls (used to play it on psp-1000). when i gave him my psp go to try peace walker he gave me this look on his face -> :/ and then said, "this is actually worse than the previous psp". so, yeah, if you didn't like the controls of portable ops, I don't think you'll ever like this one.

suikodan

duckroll said:

I assume that the wifi recruiting opton works like PO and you get the option later in the game? I don't have that option just yet.

Wifi recruiting in PO was cool.

Solid warrior said:
oh, my brother always brings up the controller issue. he didn't like portable ops because of the controls (used to play it on psp-1000). when i gave him my psp go to try peace walker he gave me this look on his face -> :/ and then said, "this is actually worse than the previous psp". so, yeah, if you didn't like the controls of portable ops, I don't think you'll ever like this one.
To me its less about the controls and more about the psp feeling awkward to hold, to get a good grip is not natural, if you held it like you held most controllers you'd get finger prints all over the screen or be pressing buttons when you don't want to (like during cutscenes).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
TheSeks said:
Sure, if you're a moron that is stuck living in 2005.

Since 2006-2007 the PSP library has been phenomenal. But if you aren't an RPG/fighting game nut you probably won't find too much.

PSNfucker plugin, AFAIK. Or CWCheat maybe. I dunno, that'll be my project this weekend to try out. :lol
Thanks, I think I got this to work, but PSN is just down for today. Will try tonight.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
lopes16 said:
Yup, you have to wait until later in the game.

I love your avatar, I want something similar

edit: thanks!

infinityBCRT said:
To me its less about the controls and more about the psp feeling awkward to hold, to get a good grip is not natural, if you held it like you held most controllers you'd get finger prints all over the screen or be pressing buttons when you don't want to (like during cutscenes).
true. also, for the psp go i thought it could sort out these issues with the new design, but then when i tried it, the first thing that came to my mind was the wrong radio button placement IMO. I'm still adapting to the psp go!

54-46!

Finally, gonna download the game now! oh, wait..

"PlayStation Network is undergoing mainteinence."

What.. the .... fuck.

hey guys what's the best deal for a PSP and this game? the entertainment pack at Gamestop is $200, but I was just wondering if there are any better venues I should consider.

Top Bottom