• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I finished it, I thought
it was a lovely little story that was pretty restrained from MGS excesses, dabbling into it only occasionally (like whenever Paz talks, lol...excuse me, ANGEL OF PEACE). It is actually pretty good at not retconning anything major that I've seen from MGS3, but it does try in earnest to enhance the MGS3 story without stepping on its toes. There are definitely some oddities--why was Coldman even allowed near the computer in the helicopter? And Dr. Strangelove is just kooky in general...she's too ready to switch sides, but I guess she's just primarily interested in AI. She's just kinda wacky. Still, really liked it. Ending was cute. Nice historical twist on events, like MGS3.

I think I'd say MGS3 is better than MGS5, but MGS5 probably ranks ahead of all the other ones...and MGS3 ranks higher because I think the presentation was something really special. The segmentation of things in PW really hurts its cinematic impact I think.

Heaven's Divide was awesome.

RavenFox

Banned
brandonh83 said:
hey guys what's the best deal for a PSP and this game? the entertainment pack at Gamestop is $200, but I was just wondering if there are any better venues I should consider.
That's the price everywhere it seems. Walmart may have it for less but only Gamestop has the Big Boss version of the bundle.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I thought

heavens divide scene wasnt good, just a shooting segment, but for me was different, I spend the whole game trying not to kill anyone, just CQC or evade, even in boss fights! but when I felt overwhelmed by the situationand the song I just started to shoot like crazy, it was like the moment to break the peace? or something like that , so for some odd reason the song was perfect for me that time, but I think its just me

Drac

Y2Kev said:
I finished it, I thought
it was a lovely little story that was pretty restrained from MGS excesses, dabbling into it only occasionally (like whenever Paz talks, lol...excuse me, ANGEL OF PEACE). It is actually pretty good at not retconning anything major that I've seen from MGS3, but it does try in earnest to enhance the MGS3 story without stepping on its toes. There are definitely some oddities--why was Coldman even allowed near the computer in the helicopter? And Dr. Strangelove is just kooky in general...she's too ready to switch sides, but I guess she's just primarily interested in AI. She's just kinda wacky. Still, really liked it. Ending was cute. Nice historical twist on events, like MGS3.

Not sure you have *really* finished it yet :D You're missing the final chapter I think.

That heavens divide part was awesome. I've was going no kill until then but switched to machine gun at that part. Now when I'm redoing bosses for AI parts I play Snake Eater in background :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Drac said:
Not sure you have *really* finished it yet :D You're missing the final chapter I think.

That heavens divide part was awesome. I've was going no kill until then but switched to machine gun at that part. Now when I'm redoing bosses for AI parts I play Snake Eater in background :lol
No, I haven't super finished it. Have to super super finish it. :)

depward

Hmm, seems weird that they didn't include a scanned-in instruction manual for the digital version (i.e. go to XMB, select the game, hit triangle and go to instruction manual). I don't recall ano other digital PSP releases that didn't come with an instruction manual..

Shinjitsu

Banned
I'm terrible at this game, but really like it. I need to start using the analyzer so im not airlifting shitty dudes all the time, just noticed there's a cap to how many solders you can have at your base.

Spent way longer than I ment to playing it tonight. Forcing myself to go to bed now before I end up staying up all night playing:lol

depward said:
Hmm, seems weird that they didn't include a scanned-in instruction manual for the digital version (i.e. go to XMB, select the game, hit triangle and go to instruction manual). I don't recall ano other digital PSP releases that didn't come with an instruction manual..

Yeah I noticed that too, first game I've ever had off PSN without one.

DangerStepp

Shinjitsu said:
I'm terrible at this game, but really like it. I need to start using the analyzer so im not airlifting shitty dudes all the time, just noticed there's a cap to how many solders you can have at your base.

Spent way longer than I ment to playing it tonight. Forcing myself to go to bed now before I end up staying up all night playing:lol

Yeah I noticed that too, first game I've ever had off PSN without one.

Word, man. I stayed up until 3 or so last night playing this. I love it!

duckroll

I'm going to repost my impressions of the game from the import thread, since other people are completing the game now.

duckroll said:
I completed the game.

Overall:
MGS3 > MGS5 > MGS > MGS4 > MGS2

Replay Value:
MGS5 > MGS3 > MGS > MGS2 > MGS4

duckroll said:
Completely finished the story mode finally. Total clear time is about 27 hours. Time to post some detailed thoughts on the game.

Peace Walker is definitely a major evolution in the MGS series. It is clear that in making Peace Walker, Kojima has reflected on what each major entry in the MGS series brought to the table - including Portable Ops. It's very interesting to see what he kept and what he removed from the MGS formula for this title, but ultimately many of the decisions were clearly the right ones. The game is leaner, yet more replayable, and just as entertaining and engaging as previous titles.

I'll get one thing out of the way: story-wise 90% of the cutscenes are comic style like in MPO. But this time they have much better direction and animation. The art is also vastly improved, with obvious contributions by Shinkawa himself in either the actual artwork, or in setting the art direction tone for all the scenes. There are also many interactive elements of the cutscenes, either in the form of allowing the player to move the camera and zoom on elements, or full blown action QTEs. The presentation is top notch, and everyone who enjoyed the cutscenes in MPO will be blown away by the PW ones. Those who didn't enjoy them at all though, well, I doubt it will change your opinion.

The graphics and sound in PW rank among the very best in PSP games. The models are detailed, the environments are well planned and extremely well lit, and there are really good effects and detail in the game. The effects in particular for smoke and explosions are very impressive in the game. The scale in many of the boss encounters are really impressive even by MGS standards.

The audio complements the visuals extremely well, and it really creates a very complete experience for a portable game. The realtime codec is fully voiced if you install the game, and all the sound fx and voices a top rate as expected of a Kojima game. The music is pretty awesome too, and do a really good job of creating the mood for stealth or all out action depending on the mission. The cutscenes also have great tracks and an amazing use of sound to stir emotions and create atmosphere.

Gameplay-wise, PW fits with the pattern expected of MGS5. To me, MGS, MGS3 and PW are entries where Kojima goes back to the basics of a gameplay driven MGS while exploring new ideas and trying to bring completely new perspectives to the core gameplay. MGS2 and MGS4 were more like reactions to the MGS fanbase. For MGS2 there was a deliberate attempt to deceive and misdirect fans of the first game to keep the experience "fresh" and suspenseful. For MGS4, it was clearly an answer to fans demanding answers to the loose ends in the series and for definitive conclusions to dangling mysteries.

Being a portable game, PW takes full advantage of the nature of the system. The game structure is broken into shorter missions, yet retaining the feel of being a true MGS game. The main story missions are pretty much what one would expect from a real MGS game, without much compromise or watering down. In most missions you can sneak or run and gun, but the game rewards you much more for non-violence because of the recruitment aspect. Luckily, you can replay any mission at any time while trying out different play styles or weapons depending on your mood.

The optional missions are definitely an evolution of VR Training missions. Instead of being a simulated VR setting with no bearing on the rest of the game, the extra ops here take place in the real world. They are either training sessions or specialized missions requiring a certain play style (rescue POWs with fulton, escape from an area undetected, recover all items from an area, etc), so basically they're expanded versions of VR Missions in terms of gameplay, but being considered part of the on-going game set in the actual real world, they take on a new form because they feel like you're actually doing missions as a mercenary outfit and expanding your army, base and resources as a result.

I don't really want to go on and on about the various systems in the game and what not, because most of that can be seen in the trailers or in most online previews of the game. But I'll conclude and say that it's really amazing to see how much content they managed to pack into a PSP game. In terms of actual data size, the game isn't any larger than MPO, yet the amount of unique areas, the overall level design, the amount of missions, secrets, unlockables, etc which exists to keep the player occupied during the story and even after beating it... is pretty extensive.

thefil

Shinjitsu said:

I just fire people.

Also, I moved
Huey and Strangelove
to my combat squad and tried to go on a mission with one of them, but hey didn't show up in the list. :(

duckroll

depward said:

What? Really? I bought the JP version on PSN, and it has a full color digital manual. In fact, this is the first manual I've seen that isn't just a "scan" of the vertical PSP manuals, instead it's formatted in widescreen for PSP resolution. ^^;

Finally got the PSN version up and running on 5.50 Gen-D3 using the guide the poster with the Eve avatar posted. Sorry, I don't remember your username, but I can add in my confirmation that it works, and thank you for the link!

I'll probably start it tonight. Right now, I'm on a Super Mario Galaxy 2 roll, and it's gorgeous outside.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can you use the stun rod on enemies while grabbing them? I thought you could for some reason in action mode, but I've switched to shooter and can't figure it out.

bleahy

Neo Member
duckroll said:
What? Really? I bought the JP version on PSN, and it has a full color digital manual. In fact, this is the first manual I've seen that isn't just a "scan" of the vertical PSP manuals, instead it's formatted in widescreen for PSP resolution. ^^;

The physical manual is horizontal / widescreen.
Not sure if this is a new standard so the digital copies work or a one-off for PW, though.

Erigu

Brandon F said:
I keep reading that S-ranking many of the boss fights is damn near impossible solo due to time-constraints as well as limited ammo(you get penalized for calling in air supplies). I don't know this yet first hand, but it has been mentioned.
Not true. I'm pretty sure you don't get penalized for calling in air supplies, rank-wise (I know I used a lot of those on some missions and that didn't prevent me from getting an S rank). You just lose some "hero points" or whatever they're called in the English version.
Besides,
there's always this thing called the bandana. Using it doesn't prevent you from S ranking missions.

brandonh83 said:
hey guys what's the best deal for a PSP and this game? the entertainment pack at Gamestop is $200, but I was just wondering if there are any better venues I should consider.

Kmart is offering a free copy of MGS4 on PS3 and a 25 dollar psp gift certificate when you buy the entertainment pack. Best deal by far.

gibration

Just bought the game but can't play it because I still have the 32mb card that came with my launch PSP and I need 33mb for saved data. :(

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I'm looking for a Co Op partner. I downloaded Ad hoc party yesterday and I want to try it out. I'm at the beginning of the game. If someone wants to play let me know.

Never mind apparently PSN is undergoing maintenance.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Crazypanda_85 said:
Nope. They had no reason to since MGS:pW takes place after MGS3.
I figured but sometimes they always throw in something from any past game in the series.

Thanks for the quick response.

gibration said:
Just bought the game but can't play it because I still have the 32mb card that came with my launch PSP and I need 33mb for saved data. :(

If you can, get a memory card that has atleast 2 gb of memory because if you want to do everything in the game, you will need to install the game.

gibration

Crazypanda_85 said:
If you can, get a memory card that has atleast 2 gb of memory because if you want to do everything in the game, you will need to install the game.
I'm going to get a 4gb memory card tomorrow. I don't feel like heading back to the store today. :p

gibration said:
I'm going to get a 4gb memory card tomorrow. I don't feel like heading back to the store today. :p

Cool. Congrats again on picking up PW. I would be able to buy my Big Boss bundle from work until the end of the month :( Darn you bills!

duckroll

Okay, from now on when I do co-op missions over adhoc party, I'll always load with the camera and take photos of what my friends are doing. :lol

kmart has the entertainment pack with a coupon for $25 off another game and free copy of mgs4. I got modnation racers with the coupon for $5. That's the best deal I think.

brandonh83 said:
I got it (in Canada) and I love the dark green color of the PSP in there. 2 gb memory card is kinda small though. I've already filled it up after one day (Peace Walker install + portable ops download)

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
This game is just damn hard. The controls are just putting me off. Oh and you guys were talking about the bosses not being doable in single player and how IGN was wrong, etc. I agree with IGN. The first boss just seems at an insane difficulty. I only have grenades and I barely made a dent in it's health. Just all around frustrating.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
duckroll said:
Okay, from now on when I do co-op missions over adhoc party, I'll always load with the camera and take photos of what my friends are doing. :lol

Take pictures of their dying corpses too :D

autobzooty said:
It should be in your equipment list when you're prepping for a mission. Make sure to bring it before you head out.
Thanks for the quick answer.

btw, I've found a LAV-G tank (don't know if i'm spelling it right) and it says "Life 5%" in "Mech" section, how can i repair it?

I haven't gone far in the game yet, but I am loving it.
I just completed the mission where you have to take out the soldiers guarding the boat house, and also the mission before it where you have to balloon a soldier. The swamp area made me say wow. The things that are being accomplished on the PSP is just amazing. I love the cutscenes as well, so far they are totally engaging.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Solid warrior said:
Thanks for the quick answer.

btw, I've found a LAV-G tank (don't know if i'm spelling it right) and it says "Life 5%" in "Mech" section, how can i repair it?

Let it sit there and it will be repaired automatically over time.

Varth

Adent said:
This game is just damn hard. The controls are just putting me off. Oh and you guys were talking about the bosses not being doable in single player and how IGN was wrong, etc. I agree with IGN. The first boss just seems at an insane difficulty. I only have grenades and I barely made a dent in it's health. Just all around frustrating.

You're doing it wrong.

EDIT: just saw your tag: looks like it nails the problem to me ^^

Jokes aside: nades are worthless against mechs. Use rockets and LMG (if you aint got some, find them) or play it by stealth.

Adent said:

did you try tuning any controls? i had to change all my "inverse" controls to normal. that made it pretty much intuitive...

Varth

MGS Peace Walker AWESOME moments vol. 1

When you get the
Assassin's Creed's Straw Box
and sneak behind an enemy soldier and grab him, the "whack, stomp, slam" noise it makes is alone worth the game price to me. Reminds me of old slapstick brawl movies from childhood :lol

Top Bottom