• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

54-46!

YES! finally got it downloading, since credit cards didn't work I had to buy a US PSN card code and got it sent by e-mail (MaximusCards), worked great.

It took me a couple of days but damn... I'm so excited to play this game now :D

54-46!

autobzooty said:
Giantbomb's quicklook of the game has me yelling at the monitor trying to tell them that they're doing it wrong :lol
I don't want anything spoiled so.. is Brad playing? if so, then.. I understand you already :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Protip: Don't try to tranq the armored dudes in the head. "DMG 0" "!" (ALERT!) happens. :lol

Second boss gave me a little trouble.

"I SEE YOU DON'T HAVE
SUPPLY DROPS
MAYBE YOU SHOULD ABORT THE MISSION
AND GRAB THEM?
"

Me: Fuck that. I'll just
tranq all the enemies and the boss

(Cue two hour of frustration trying to make sure they don't get alerted)

Finally did it, but
they ran over two of their own in the process killing them
, thankfully that doesn't count as a "kill" on yourself. So woot. :lol

Even more protip:
Shooting the commander
won't make them sleepy, you have to spam tranq darts at them to stamina kill them, I got tired and went "FUCK THIS SHIT! (RPG)"

At least I have a nice shiny vehicle that was gotten for 94% HP left to use in Outer Ops once I unlock those. :lol

Busted my Silencer in this fight as well. Too many
"! GET UP!" (SPAM SPAM SPAM! GODDAMN IT SLEEP YOU!)
going on. :lol

Just glad to have that out of the way.

*hiimdaisybigbosspointingfinger.jpg* NOW TO BACKTRACK AND--

(Codec call)

54-46! said:
I don't want anything spoiled so.. is Brad playing? if so, then.. I understand you already :lol

Yeah Brad's playing. He's only in the first hour or two of the game, so don't worry too much about spoilers.

But yeah, watching him totally botch the stealth was painful, and watching him and Vinny try and brainstorm how to beat the first boss was difficult. Still though, the game isn't super clear about what you have to do, and when Miller says "Destroy the vehicle or eliminate the infantry!" and they eliminate the infantry and nothing happens....I get where they're coming from.

TheSeks

autobzooty said:
But yeah, watching him totally botch the stealth was painful, and watching him and Vinny try and brainstorm how to beat the first boss was difficult. Still though, the game isn't super clear about what you have to do, and when Miller says "Destroy the vehicle or eliminate the infantry!" and they eliminate the infantry and nothing happens....I get where they're coming from.

Yeah, that's slightly annoying. Miller really should've said "watch out for enemy reinforcements as well!" You figure "oh, taking out those four guys will be easy!" Nopes. It's about
infantry going that route.

Salaadin

autobzooty said:
Yeah Brad's playing. He's only in the first hour or two of the game, so don't worry too much about spoilers.

I think Miller says "neutralize the enemy forces" at that part which would imply any soldiers in the area...including the tank commander who only pops his head out when you take out the 4 soliders and their backups. Its not entirely clear at first but as you play through the mission and the game tells you straight out that the commander is playing peek a boo, it becomes clear.

Salaadin said:
I think Miller says "neutralize the enemy forces" at that part which would imply any soldiers in the area...including the tank commander who only pops his head out when you take out the 4 soliders and their backups. Its not entirely clear at first but as you play through the mission and the game tells you straight out that the commander is playing peek a boo, it becomes clear.

The tank commander doesn't pop his head out until you take out all the infantry AND do a bit of damage to the tank. Brad had taken out all the reinforcements and was left with a big tank running around not realizing he had to do some damage to it for the commander to pop out.

And firing an assault rifle at an armored vehicle isn't exactly a fair logical leap to expect the player to make.

54-46!

Deadly said:
Where the hell is the freakin bird?!
15gw45i.jpg

Salaadin

autobzooty said:
The tank commander doesn't pop his head out until you take out all the infantry AND do a bit of damage to the tank. Brad had taken out all the reinforcements and was left with a big tank running around not realizing he had to do some damage to it for the commander to pop out.

And firing an assault rifle at an armored vehicle isn't exactly a fair logical leap to expect the player to make.

I dont remember firing a single shot at the tank when I did it. I might be remembering things differently though.

TheSeks

autobzooty said:

No, he'll pop out when all the infantry is gone. But it requires about a minute or two wait for that to happen. So yeah, it's annoying.

Drac

TheSeks said:
No, he'll pop out when all the infantry is gone. But it requires about a minute or two wait for that to happen. So yeah, it's annoying.

Not if you are not spotted during the process of disposing of the enemy forces. He pops his head out the second you kill/fulton the last soldier if you were 100% sneaky. If someone sees you, then you have to make some damage to make him appear. But in the extra ops with the custom version of what not vehicle, you have to do even more damage if this happens (so you're good to retry). Nothing's more frustrating than taking 10 minutes to clear 31 soldiers and when you go to fulton the last one, this f###ing vehicle spots you ! The worse are the helicopters. You're never sure of what their field of vision is and they just move around at random...

anyone else think that the soundtrack for this game is a cut above the other MGS games? I love all the soundtracks of this series, but the music in this one is really awesome.

Vamphuntr

Gah. I'm now stuck in Chapter 5. I'm not too sure what do I have to do to continue the plot...

SPOILERS ENDGAME

It seems you have to complete Zeke. How do you get the bosses to drop their head? It's the only part I'm missing. Do I have to complete the whole AI boards? It will take forever... So I have to keep clearing the new extra ops to get more of the boring Find Waldo (lol Zadornov) Missions? It is so not clear.

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
Gah. I'm now stuck in Chapter 5. I'm not too sure what do I have to do to continue the plot...

SPOILERS ENDGAME

It seems you have to complete Zeke. How do you get the bosses to drop their head? It's the only part I'm missing. Do I have to complete the whole AI boards? It will take forever... So I have to keep clearing the new extra ops to get more of the boring Find Waldo (lol Zadornov) Missions? It is so not clear.

You don't have to complete the AI boards. You just need to shoot the AI core and try not to damage the boss anywhere else too much. That generally nets you a good amount of junk. Try grinding Pupa.

Crysallis is a fucking pain. Stingers are still 60% away from completion.

Any way to adjust the aim sensitivity? LMG aiming is slow as hell

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
You don't have to complete the AI boards. You just need to shoot the AI core and try not to damage the boss anywhere else too much. That generally nets you a good amount of junk. Try grinding Pupa.

Oh, I see thanks.

autobzooty said:
anyone else think that the soundtrack for this game is a cut above the other MGS games? I love all the soundtracks of this series, but the music in this one is really awesome.
I don't know man, it's good but nothing special, I still prefer MGS2 OST.

btw, how many missions are there? (Main Ops)

Erigu

autobzooty said:
The tank commander doesn't pop his head out until you take out all the infantry AND do a bit of damage to the tank.
You only need to damage the vehicle if you have been spotted at one point. If you manage to get rid of all the infantry without ever getting spotted, the commander does show up immediately.

EDIT: Damn, I hadn't noticed Drac's post. Sorry about that.
Just so this won't be completely pointless...
Drac said:
The worse are the helicopters. You're never sure of what their field of vision is and they just move around at random...
The waterfall stage can be pretty easy though. Throw a couple of smoke grenades on the first soldiers without getting spotted -> hold up. Leave those guys there and you can now focus on the chopper. As long as those four guys don't get hurt or killed (so I suggest you don't stay in that general area for the rest of the fight), you don't have to worry about the infantry anymore.
Also, you can have the commander of the chopper show up relatively quickly by destroying the canopy.

Tiktaalik

This game is fantastic. Lots of folks I know have copies. We've played some 2 player and we're going to try some 4 player later on today.

Dismissing soldiers you've gotten is hilarious. Snake channels Trump and says "you're fired!" in his gravely voice. :lol

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
wait there is another ending? is it worth it?

kuYuri

Uniqlo is too early for me, I'm going early with a friend to Best Buy location. If anyone goes to that one, maybe I'll see you there. I can post a pic of me if you want. :lol

Will I have to grind the AI bosses Monster Hunter style in order to
build Metal Gear
? I've only fought one AI and I barely have any parts. I can't construct one single piece yet. Should I be replaying that battle?

TheSeks

Strider2K99 said:
Uniqlo is too early for me, I'm going early with a friend to Best Buy location. If anyone goes to that one, maybe I'll see you there. I can post a pic if you want. :lol

Get Kojima to hold a GAF logo print-out and say "DID YOU RIKE IT?" on tape.

DO IT!

Enjoying it a lot so far. The controls are a bit strange thanks to the lack of a second analog nub, but I can adapt. I really hope that Sony releases a PSP emulator for either the PS3 or the next iteration (with custom control mapping). I just realized I now own more digital PSP games then UMDs.

I have no idea where this story is going, I am not far in at all, but it is definitely leaving me wanted Kojima to remake the orginal MGs and MGS (perhaps using the MGS4 engine like that damn teaser lead us to believe). He keeps saying the franchise is done then releasing more. A revisit would probably be a winner.

In any case, the game is very engaging and I appreciate the effort the team put into this.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
autobzooty said:
Will I have to grind the AI bosses Monster Hunter style in order to
build Metal Gear
? I've only fought one AI and I barely have any parts. I can't construct one single piece yet. Should I be replaying that battle?

You don't have to collect anything where you are at in the story, assuming you've only fought one AI. You'll have to go back and take them on again once the MG Zeke project begins. The only thing I had to farm for was the armor off of Cocoon... everything else was very easy to get, but from what I've heard you don'T even need the armor to complete Zeke

Shadow780

Ephemeris said:
I agree lol

I'm still trying to figure out how to be at Uniqlo *and* my sister's graduation at the same time.

well there's always the later Best Buy event at 6.

I hope 6am isn't too late for an autograph, I hope he doesn't mind signing non-MGS game too (ZOE2) :lol

Deadly

nolookjones said:
ya wow what a major backtrack...hope not many other missions are like this

fighting Crysallis now - anyone have any tips?
Use the FIM, it takes out a bar each time you hit it. When you're out of rockets, just shoot the AI core with a LMG.

Ephemeris

Shadow780 said:
well there's always the later Best Buy event at 6.

I hope 6am isn't too late for an autograph, I hope he doesn't mind signing non-MGS game too (ZOE2) :lol

I want to go to both! And I actually was thinking of bringing my ZOE 1 ;)

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm currently fighting
the helicopter of chapter 2. First one if there is multiple.

I'm not trying to destroy it. I'm trying to just tranq everyone.

But this is proving insanely hard by myself. Smoke grenades + tranq tactics for 15 minutes only to be caught really, really sucks. Especially because -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- if the
helicopter
catches you the alert phase never seems to go away.

Any suggestions?

Want to do this solo.

TheSeks

How are you supposed to get through the "killhouse" extra op target practice? I can't seem to get the next round to consistently pop up. :/ Miller says "DONE! GO TO THE NEXT AREA" and there is no explanation. :/

Erigu

TenshiOni said:
and correct me if I'm wrong -- if the
helicopter
It can go away, actually. But that's admittedly kinda rare.

TheSeks said:
How are you supposed to get through the "killhouse" extra op target practice? I can't seem to get the next round to consistently pop up. :/ Miller says "DONE! GO TO THE NEXT AREA" and there is no explanation. :/
You're supposed to shoot all the targets in an area, advance a bit, shoot the next wave of targets in the new area, and so on. But some targets are a bit hard to spot. I know I got stuck myself.

Deadly

TenshiOni said:
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm currently fighting
the helicopter of chapter 2. First one if there is multiple.

I'm not trying to destroy it. I'm trying to just tranq everyone.

But this is proving insanely hard by myself. Smoke grenades + tranq tactics for 15 minutes only to be caught really, really sucks. Especially because -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- if the
helicopter

Any suggestions?

Want to do this solo.
I just kept CQC'ing the backup and when they didn't seem to come anymore (I think it's 2-3 batches) the commander came out and I tranq'ed him

mehdi_san

I wanted to do some ad-hoc partying yesterday night, but there was no one on the US servers. I loaded the Japanese application and joined a group, forgetting that they had the game for a month and a half now! I was just 3 hours into the game (still no supply drop or such). They chose one of the Monster Hunter missions, and I never felt so useless in my life. They were going for an S-rank with no kill, I think we ended up getting a C rank ^^ But still, it was really fun.

Top Bottom