• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I noticed that the PSP has a wide and normal color space in the system settings. I was surprised it defaulted to Wide. It looks like it overdoes the color a bit, but if developers are programming games assuming everyone has it on, then it would be "correct" and the normal color space would be washed out.

My PSP has no such option ? :( (fat 1000)
The other thing is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to change my clothes.

Mission Prep option before beginning a mission.

It says a lot when a system is worth owning for one franchise alone. I'd actually have sold my PSP a long time ago if it weren't for the staggering amount (and quality) of the Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear Solid (PSN download)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2

There's even the Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 digital graphic novels. Although I'm suprised they haven't made Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 available in some form.

I wonder how much they'd have to cut down Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 to fit them on PSP. If all they suffered was a graphical downgrade, I'd happily rebuy them.

Anyway, I live in the UK, so no Peace Walker for me yet. Really looking forward to it, though I haven't read much about it. It's basically like Portable Ops, but better, right? I hope the story finally shows the moment Big Boss turns his back on the US.

Synless

I was comparing my 3000 with the MGS 3000 PSP and discovered that not only is the volume louder, but the screen is much brighter.

thefil

Vamphuntr said:
I beat the final boss! It was easy after all if you use the supports.

Hah! You beat the game before me when I was on Chapter 5 the day the game came out. :lol Curse my busy weekday schedule :(

thechemist

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Any word on whats happening to the signing Kojima is meant to be attending in London, now that the game has been delayed?

GAME made a mistake, the release date is still next week. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder how much they'd have to cut down Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 to fit them on PSP. If all they suffered was a graphical downgrade, I'd happily rebuy them.
I definitely feel they could pull off MGS2 on the PSP. It would take a hit visually, but its gameplay is very fitting for the system (no camera control). I'd imagine they could pull off the visuals at half the framerate and without the post processing.

dark10x said:
I definitely feel they could pull off MGS2 on the PSP. It would take a hit visually, but its gameplay is very fitting for the system (no camera control). I'd imagine they could pull off the visuals at half the framerate and without the post processing.
No.

Does anyone know how to order the Uniqlo shirts from the US store? According to this, they should be available in store and online, but I don't see them on the website.

Synless said:
I'm not sure, but it is a noticeable difference.

Brighter among each of the brightness settings? I'm just happy they solved the dead pixel issues before I purchased a limited edition PSP. I returned about 3 PSP 2000's before I got one I was happy with.

Salaadin

Took down the Hind this morning using CQC on the guards and the Mosin Nagant on the captain. What a pain in the ass that was. Im still not sure how I survived a 33 minute battle against that thing but what the hell, Ill take it.

I also unlocked the Tank Box and the Stun Tank Box from doing Outer Ops. This is the best game ever. As far as Metal Gears go, its already better than MGS4 and MGS2 and quickly reaching MGS3 and MGS1 status in my mind. Its fantastic.

Synless

Class_A_Ninja said:
Brighter among each of the brightness settings? I'm just happy they solved the dead pixel issues before I purchased a limited edition PSP. I returned about 3 PSP 2000's before I got one I was happy with.
That I will have to look into when my friend comes back over. I only had them set on the highest settings unplugged. The screen was much brighter and the volume was overpowering mine when placed right next to each other. Also, both had the "wide" color option on if anyone was wondering.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finished the first mission yesterday and damn, this plays and looks so much better than MPO (and I already had fun with that one). I laughed @ a few things in the cutscenes, can't wait for more.

A friend is also playing this so we'll probably co-op some missions when we're able to meet (he doesn't live exactly near). He has a PS3 and could do the ad-hoc witchcraft but I don't so lol.

dark10x

Solid warrior said:
Of course they could. It would take a visual hit but it's good for psp. Every area is segmented by loading screens and they could downgrade assets to work on psp.

Salaadin

Wolf Akela said:
For the Hind, I honestly found Mk22 easier to use on the captain rather than Nagant, because of aim assist.

Wouldnt you have to get terribly close for that? Hiding in the back with the Nagant, most of the missles can be dodged in the trees and you can peg him from a distance without being in much danger.

I didnt try the MK22 though so Im just assuming.

adamsapple

dark10x said:
Of course they could. It would take a visual hit but it's good for psp. Every area is segmented by loading screens and they could downgrade assets to work on psp.

Yeah. MGS2 has small flat box like areas that could very easily transition to the PSP on a lower resolution. Real-time cutscenes might be a bit of work.

dark10x said:
MGS2 would play and look different if ported to the PSP. the overall Image quality, polycount, geometry, level design, sound, AI and animation, codec, and complex cinematic cut-scenes can not be done on the PSP. simply put, it won't be MGS2 you always knew.

Hey guys I just read up about this vocaloid system in the japanese version of PW. Is it present in the english version by any chance? It sounds really cool.

Vamphuntr

Two questions. I don't know if anyone is that far yet though.

SPOILERS Chapter 5 and endgame.

I read on gamefaqs that it's possible to acquire Paz's diary. Is that true? How do you get it. I have beaten all the Main Ops and Zeke and I don't have it yet. Also where can you get soldier/POW to build the Stealth Mat. It requires metamaterials technology skill which no one in my Mother Base have

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
Two questions. I don't know if anyone is that far yet though.

SPOILERS Chapter 5 and endgame.

I read on gamefaqs that it's possible to acquire Paz's diary. Is that true? How do you get it. I have beaten all the Main Ops and Zeke and I don't have it yet. Also where can you get soldier/POW to build the Stealth Mat. It requires metamaterials technology skill which no one in my Mother Base have

Okay, here's how you do it:

For the main story ops, if you replay the AI boss battles (the story ones), when you are extracting AI chips after the battle, as you move between the sections, sometimes you will see an action button prompt. Pressing it in time will result in grabbing a bonus tape of Strangelove talking about The Boss. There are 4 of these tapes.

For extra ops, after you beat chapter 5, you will gain access to Custom versions of the AI boss fights. Do the same thing as above, and this time you'll get taped diaries of Paz. There are about 10 in total.

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:

For the main story ops, if you replay the AI boss battles (the story ones), when you are extracting AI chips after the battle, as you move between the sections, sometimes you will see an action button prompt. Pressing it in time will result in grabbing a bonus tape of Strangelove talking about The Boss. There are 4 of these tapes.

For extra ops, after you beat chapter 5, you will gain access to Custom versions of the AI boss fights. Do the same thing as above, and this time you'll get taped diaries of Paz. There are about 10 in total.

You are my savior in this thread :D . Time to grind! Hope it's possible to beat them alone. Or I better find a way to make xlink kai correctly.

dark10x

Solid warrior said:
MGS2 would play and look different if ported to the PSP. the overall Image quality, polycount, geometry, level design, sound, AI and animation, codec, and complex cinematic cut-scenes can not be done on the PSP. simply put, it won't be MGS2 you always knew.
I think you underestimate what the system is capable of.

I realize it wouldn't be the same experience, but I suspect they could get a LOT closer than you seem to believe. Of course, we'll probably never know the answer.

Kojima is doing a signing in London next week? Man, I'd get a train ticket and attend (I already have a signed copy of Twin Snakes, so a signed copy of Peace Walker as well would be awesome), but I can't really afford to. :-(

definitely going to the london signing.

will i have to buy a copy of the game? i haven't got a psp, i just reeeeeally would like to say hi to one of my heroes.

thechemist

HMV site isnt very clear tbh.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Launch Event - HMV Oxford Circus plays host to the launch event of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on 18th June, 4.00pm - 6.00pm. Fans attending will be treated to a rare opportunity to meet Mr Kojima & Art Director Mr Shinkawa who will be signing hmv exclusive sleeves. Entry is free to all.

Everyone should buy this game, I cannot believe its only ~£18 to preorder at most sites.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Salaadin said:
It pains me knowing that Kojima is a mere 3 hours away and Im at work. Why?

It pains me to know that Kojima is on the East Coast US and I'm in the South East a 12+ hour drive away. :|

Also, can you capture the third vehicle
/boss/PUPA
? I took itout with RPGs, so I dunno if you can or not.

JohngPR

So I played some coop with Salaadin last night and our first try at one of the helicopter bosses didn't go so hot. I didn't setup my loadout corrrectly so I ran out of ammo. I did what any sane person would do and went all war journalist and just started taking pictures of Sal in action, LMAO:

100610220457.jpg

100610140327.jpg

100610220446.jpg

I've covered wars, you know?

adamsapple

duckroll said:

Question

can you just spam on any single boss over and over for all the tapes or do you need to do different bosses for different tapes ?

Erigu

duckroll said:
a bonus tape of Strangelove talking about The Boss. There are 4 of these tapes.
Only 3, actually. But it's funny you'd say that, because I also thought there were 4, and I was all "why do I keep getting the third one over and over again? RAGE!"

after you beat chapter 5, you will gain access to Custom versions of the AI boss fights. Do the same thing as above, and this time you'll get taped diaries of Paz. There are about 10 in total.
Exactly 10, in fact. And just to be clear, you can get them from both the "II" and "Custom" versions of the AI bosses.

chandoog said:
Question
can you just spam on any single boss over and over for all the tapes or do you need to do different bosses for different tapes ?
You can spam the same boss over and over.

Game is awesome, but aside from the bosses, the main missions seem completely devoid of anything resembling difficulty. The MK22 is a weapon without flaw, sneaking up and CQCing dudes is a breeze and you don't have to be precise with your timing since the enemy reactions are slow and they lack perception, the fulton eliminates any chance of bodies being detected/revived... the enemies still have what seems like the same tiny vision cone they had in MGS1, and given the level design and 3D camera, this makes them non-threatening. I love the mechanics and the environments but it doesn't feel like there's enough resistance. It's a very leisurely game.

Narcosis

I'm not very far into the game yet, but I was thrown off a bit by the "action" cutscenes at first. The first time I encountered such a scene and I was supposed to do something I missed it 2 times and thought the repeating of the scene over and over was just part of Kojima being weird again.

adamsapple

Erigu said:
You can spam the same boss over and over.
And can you get multiple tapes in the same fight or just one per fight ?

edit :

25iowsj.jpg

309okg2.jpg

Ridley327

TheSeks said:
It pains me to know that Kojima is on the East Coast US and I'm in the South East a 12+ hour drive away. :|

Also, can you capture the third vehicle
/boss/PUPA
? I took itout with RPGs, so I dunno if you can or not.

My understanding is that you can't secure any of the
AI drones
, but they make up for it with the stuff that they do "drop".

Synless said:
I was comparing my 3000 with the MGS 3000 PSP and discovered that not only is the volume louder, but the screen is much brighter.

When you say MGS PSP are you talking about the green one or the camo big boss one?

revolverjgw said:
Game is awesome, but aside from the bosses, the main missions seem completely devoid of anything resembling difficulty. The MK22 is a weapon without flaw, sneaking up and CQCing dudes is a breeze and you don't have to be precise with your timing since the enemy reactions are slow and they lack perception, the fulton eliminates any chance of bodies being detected/revived... the enemies still have what seems like the same tiny vision cone they had in MGS1, and given the level design and 3D camera, this makes them non-threatening. I love the mechanics and the environments but it doesn't feel like there's enough resistance. It's a very leisurely game.

It's more fun without the MK22, but yeah the guards do seem to be too spread out across the large areas, normally 3~4 guys per area +2 backup. I liked the claustraphobic feel of MGS1.

Ad Infinitum said:
definitely going to the london signing.

will i have to buy a copy of the game? i haven't got a psp, i just reeeeeally would like to say hi to one of my heroes.

If that's the only reason you're going, don't bother. I've been to a Kojima signing, and he barely even made eye contact with people when signing stuff, and never said anything. Everybody was told by staff members to keep it quick; hand you game over, he signs it, you move on. It was like being served by the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

He also arrived late, and left as soon as his time was up (again without saying anything), leaving a lot of people who were still in line with nothing to show for their trip.

I wish I could go just to get a game signed (I previously got my copy of Twin Snakes signed), but I won't lose sleep over not meeting him again.

Ridley327

For the AI bosses, do you get a chance at more boards if you disable their pieces and parts? For example, if I take out the boosters on Pupa, will I get more parts based on that category?

Top Bottom