• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Snookie

I sold my old PSP-1000 and pre-ordered and paid off the Big Boss Pack at gamestop. I want NOW! Now I want that accessory pack but do I really need it? Eh I dunno

Blu_LED said:
You get the special treat of having faster loading times, more battery life, no UMD cranking sound, and you're going to be able to use it on the PSP2. That sounds like a treat to me.

this is true...

but, did i miss some psp2 info?

YESSSS

I preordered the Snake action figure a while back :p

I recently heard that there is no difficulty mode in the game. Will this be different in the English version? I remember Kojima saying that he was playing the game on the easiest difficulty while he recorded those trailers a while back, so I thought there was an option. I really hope so because the AI in the demo is really dumb and I was hoping for more of a challenge.

I reserved the Big Boss bundle a few days ago. I can't wait to finally get the MGS:pW PSP ! I like MGS but I also wanted to finally rebuy a PSP for Persona3Portable and KH:BBS .

Shadow780

Remember if you live or live near NYC or LA, you can meet Kojima again for signatures since the MGS4 launch!

New York City - Friday, June 11
Uniqlo SOHO from 12pm-2pm
546 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

Best Buy Union Square from 6pm-8pm
1 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003

Los Angeles - Sunday June 13th
GameStop from 11am-1pm
1000 Universal Studios Blvd.
Universal City, CA 91608

RavenFox

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Remember if you live or live near NYC or LA, you can meet Kojima again for signatures since the MGS4 launch!

546 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

1 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003

GameStop from 11am-1pm
Universal City, CA 91608

Not to far by train from that Best Buy. See you fellow operatives at the sneak point. Raven out!

thefil

I actually went for the disk copy, though why kind of baffles me; I've always been a PSN supporter. Guess I just wanted a physical copy for one of my favourite series. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
Pretty much. You're in the same boat as Bebpo. :(

Can I use Xlink Kai or something? My friends are being lame and don't want to buy the game.

Takao

Banned
I'm buying the PSN version solely for quicker load times. MGS is a franchise I'd like to have a boxed copy of, so I may double dip for the UMD come price drop.

Ninja edit

thefil said:
I actually went for the disk copy, though why kind of baffles me; I've always been a PSN supporter. Guess I just wanted a physical copy for one of my favourite series. :lol
That's why I'm buying both

Anth0ny

Shadow780 said:

546 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

1 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003

GameStop from 11am-1pm
Universal City, CA 91608

Woah... so he's going to be here during E3?

"Rising looks awesome!"

*Kojima laughs*

DiscoJer

Blu_LED said:
You get the special treat of having faster loading times, more battery life, no UMD cranking sound, and you're going to be able to use it on the PSP2. That sounds like a treat to me.

Doesn't it have an install function? So you'd be getting all those advantages anyway.

And as to the PSP2, even if it exists, what makes you so sure it will be backward compatible? Unless it uses the same sort of hardware (like Gamecube --> Wii), which I doubt, then it probably won't (since it won't be powerful enough to emulate it, as the PS3 can barely do it).

faridmon

Blu_LED said:
1. For story reasons, yeah. But if you really can;t get through it, just watch the cut scenes on Youtube.

2. Yes, insanely better. There's a demo on PSN. Go try it.
thanks. Actually considered trying the demo, but didn't want to spoil myslef anything (even gamplay stuff), I'll try finish Portable Ops first since this is the last week of my University term.

So is this game confirmed for PSN? I tried to find out if it was available on Japanese PSN but couldn't work out how!

DiscoJer said:
Doesn't it have an install function? So you'd be getting all those advantages anyway.

I believe the install is for gameplay voice samples only, or something like that. Not a full install.

DiscoJer said:

And as to the PSP2, even if it exists, what makes you so sure it will be backward compatible? Unless it uses the same sort of hardware (like Gamecube --> Wii), which I doubt, then it probably won't (since it won't be powerful enough to emulate it, as the PS3 can barely do it).
The install function doesn't install the whole game. Only parts. Extra voice acting that couldn't fit on the UMD I believe. Most of it still runs off the UMD.

Yen

Graphics Horse said:
So is this game confirmed for PSN? I tried to find out if it was available on Japanese PSN but couldn't work out how!

I believe the install is for gameplay voice samples only, or something like that. Not a full install.
Yes it's in Japan PSN and will be in all other PSN's

Yen

Just read the trivia section for this game on the MG Wikia. There's gonna be some funny stuff in this! :lol

Jigsaw

Banned
Graphics Horse said:

the install size is 800mb,this should contain the entire game (stuff like videos or music doenst need to be installed of course)

Jigsaw said:
the install size is 800mb,this should contain the entire game (stuff like videos or music doenst need to be installed of course)

What was that stuff about the full PSN install being 2.5 gigs then? I've definitely read that it's mostly extra audio in the install, there might be more to it than that though.

Jigsaw

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
What was that stuff about the full PSN install being 2.5 gigs then? I've definitely read that it's mostly extra audio in the install, there might be more to it than that though.

the psn version is 1,7gb,you will need additional 800mb if you want to use the ingame install option (to get more audio,like you said)

Jigsaw said:
the psn version is 1,7gb,you will need additional 800mb if you want to use the ingame install option (to get more audio,like you said)

You understand the confusion then! There's also a 300mb install (or is it 30mb), I think that's mandatory, but I've never heard of a psp game with mandatory install before?

Oyashiro

Blu_LED said:
You will most likely be totally lost story-wise, but not awesomeness wise. The games take place in this order:

MGS3 > MGS: PO > MGS: PW > MG > MG2: SS > MGS >MGS2 > MGS4
Thanks for the informative answer :D I'll have access to MGS 1-3 this summer, so I think I'll wait until I play 3 to play PW. Is Portable Ops any good?

Oyashiro said:
Thanks for the informative answer :D I'll have access to MGS 1-3 this summer, so I think I'll wait until I play 3 to play PW. Is Portable Ops any good?

Portable Ops is worth your time if you're a hardcore fan, but it's very skippable if you're new to the series.

Boney

Banned
Anybody know how to fix a PSP's analog nub? For the demo I sometimes had trouble controlling snake, since sometimes a direction was being pressed with the nub on the middle, or didn't run to a direction correctly.

It's porbably dust or something, but any tips are greatly apreciated.
Sigh that's what I get from buying used.

Salaadin

Boney said:
Anybody know how to fix a PSP's analog nub? For the demo I sometimes had trouble controlling snake, since sometimes a direction was being pressed with the nub on the middle, or didn't run to a direction correctly.

I actually have that same issue sometimes. I have no idea how to fix it. Its always the same direction too. Northwest.

Anyways, great thread. Im so pumped!

Ataturk

Oyashiro said:
Yeah it is good but certainly not as essential as MGS 1-4. Took me a while to get in to it, but it ended strongly.

Epcott

WOW, I didn't realize it's going to be released so soon.

Hmmm, since I have the Go, I won't be getting an instruction manual :(

Well that womps
(Beautiful OP by the way... verrrry sexy)

Epcott said:
WOW, I didn't realize it's going to be released so soon.

Hmmm, since I have the Go, I won't be getting an instruction manual :(

Well that womps
(Beautiful OP by the way... verrrry sexy)
All PSN games come with a digital version of the instruction manual. Unless you're upset that you're not getting a physical copy....

Epcott

Blu_LED said:
All PSN games come with a digital version of the instruction manual. Unless you're upset that you're not getting a physical copy....

I wanted a physical copy to read at work and on the john... it's tradition :D

Also... you can't play this online co-op unless you have ad-hoc party up and running on your PS3? I tried to get ad-hoc party working, but it asks for a wired connection (which I can't do).

I suppose I can tear up my house and fill it with wires, but there's got to be another way :(

Epcott said:
I wanted a physical copy to read at work and on the john... it's tradition :D

Also... you can't play this online co-op unless you have ad-hoc party up and running on your PS3? I tried to get ad-hoc party working, but it asks for a wired connection (which I can't do).

I suppose I can tear up my house and fill it with wires, but there's got to be another way :(
http://reviews.cnet.com/bridges/linksys-plk200-powerline-av/4505-3304_7-32313519.html

You could get something like that. They are pretty expensive though.

kuYuri

Shadow780 said:

546 Broadway
New York, NY 10012

1 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003

GameStop from 11am-1pm
Universal City, CA 91608

Anyone from MGS4 launch going to this? We should make a thread. I finally got a friend who didn't go last time to come with me this time. Should be a much better experience overall.

I'll likely be at Union Square Best Buy, Uniqlo is taking place too early for my tastes to get a good spot in line.

Zen

Banned
I love my PSPGo, but I think I'll get both the Physical and DD versions of this. Sure it's stupid, but I have every other MGS game in physical copy, and darnit, this is Metal Gear. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zen said:
I love my PSPGo, but I think I'll get both the Physical and DD versions of this. Sure it's stupid, but I have every other MGS game in physical copy, and darnit, this is Metal Gear. :lol

I don't find it dumb. I do the same kind of shit.

Blablurn

thetrin said:
I don't find it dumb. I do the same kind of shit.

same here :lol

I hope the game is as good as they say. too bad the EU release is still 3 weeks away. god, finally a new metal gear game. the last year was terrible without one.

Boney said:

There's some videos on youtube.

I followed these videos even though he messes up a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzb45e_nhy0

It's a bit of a delicate operation, especially if your stick casing falls apart like his and mine did., There are other tutorials if that happens.
Just make sure your screwdriver is narrow enough for the case holes, mine was too wide and led to a bunch of problems when I tried to finish the job with one screw still attached.

Top Bottom