• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

thefil

StuBurns said:
This is true, for me personally, having loved the Metal Gear series since MGS1, enough to buy a PS3 for MGS4 despite not really having the cash to do so, this will be the first one I'm skipping because of it's platform. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Obviously this isn't the right thread for it, but the PSP gets such a bad rap :(. As much as I've enjoyed my DS, I've enjoyed my PSP more. There's so many excellent games that are fun to go back to.

StuBurns said:
It's stupid to not play something you don't think plays well? Sure.
Yes. It's horribly stupid that you would go out and spend $400-$500 on a system just to play one game because you love the series so much, but are skipping out on the latest installment because you think it won't play good.

Minamu

thefil said:
Can't be said enough. In all likelihood the best Metal Gear Solid of all time, and almost zero interest.
Maybe people got burned after the last game? I know I was. I'm still just casually and cautiously optimistic.

StuBurns

Banned
thefil said:
Obviously this isn't the right thread for it, but the PSP gets such a bad rap :(. As much as I've enjoyed my DS, I've enjoyed my PSP more. There's so many excellent games that are fun to go back to.
I have a PSP, and I think it's an excellent console, I think my post wasn't as clear as it could have been.

I'm not buying PW because I don't like the way it plays on PSP. Not because it's on PSP.

Blu_LED said:
Yes. It's horribly stupid that you would go out and spend $400-$500 on a system just to play one game because you love the series so much, but are skipping out on the latest installment because you think it won't play good.
Think and know are very different. I've played it, I don't think it plays well at all. Everything else about it is very much MGS5, and where I wanted the series to go though.

StuBurns said:
I'm not buying PW because I don't like the way it plays on PSP. Not because it's on PSP.
Still seems a little stupid to me, but at least it makes more sense now. The way you made it seem was that you are skipping this because the PSP am dumb. At least you tried it.

thefil

StuBurns said:
Think and know are very different. I've played it, I don't think it plays well at all. Everything else about it is very much MGS5, and where I wanted the series to go though.

At least promise us you'll buy it when it inevitably reaches 9.99 bargain bin price at Wal-Mart? :)

*edit* oops, I guess I should have made that a less North American remark. My bad.

StuBurns

Banned
thefil said:
At least promise us you'll buy it when it inevitably reaches 9.99 bargain bin price at Wal-Mart? :)
If it's not on another platform (or announced for one) by the time it's £20 on PSN, I'll buy it.

Vamphuntr

Naked Snake said:
I almost didn't know anything about this game until yesterday (don't have a PSP)... I decided to check it out so I searched for "Peace Walker" on Youtube, and low and behold the following videos were in the top results:

DON'T WATCH if you don't want any spoilers I guess. But there really isn't anything story-related in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb236c5Mc8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkEGonfvm8

WHAT THE FUCK? :lol :lol :lol

Kojima <3

PS. I'm amazed at how good this game looks. It almost rivals MGS3, that's incredible.

M-M-M-Master Miller... How could you...cheat on me like that..... T.T
Man Kojima is crazy :lol

So much false advertisement for this. On Gamestop.com and playstation.com the info page for this game is saying there is online play :(. Boo Kojima you better patch it.

StuBurns said:
It's stupid to not play something you don't think plays well? Sure.

I'm surprised someone would feel this way. Wrestling with dogshit controls has always been a key feature in MGS games. I can't fathom an MGS fan passing on PW's creative brilliance just because of unwieldy controls.

SaitoH

dark10x said:
So, any updates on whether or not the final game will work on CFW PSPs straight from UMD? I'm buying this regardless, but I'm hoping I won't have to jump through hoops to actually play it.

I've order the collectors edition, so I'd like to know too. I assume I'll probably just have a disc and manual to stare at though.

Takao

Banned
I'm not going to lie. The fact that Rising's official thread will get more replies in one week than this thread's entire run pisses me off.

Even more so when Rising gets reviews no better than 7s.

kingslunk

Everyone knows Kojima will come out at E3 and say hes putting his full attention to mgr. I just started mgs1 time for play through before I start on peace walker.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
By 'better audio' do they mean better quality, or just more dialogue? A lot of PSP games have really crappy audio, so this is most welcome if it's the former; and just as welcome if it's the latter since I love optional extras.

It's MORE audio. You'll receive realtime radio support while you're playing. If you don't install, these sections will not be voiced.

kingslunk said:
Everyone knows Kojima will come out at E3 and say hes putting his full attention to mgr. I just started mgs1 time for play through before I start on peace walker.

Didn't we already confirm that Kojima will be touring for Peace Walker during E3?

kingslunk

autobzooty said:
Didn't we already confirm that Kojima will be touring for Peace Walker during E3?

E3 is June 14-15 his first date is June 18th. Plenty of time especially if he shows up at Microsofts press conference and leaves after that.

jayb

Is there anyone here who did not like Portable Ops, but is actually enjoying Peace Walker?

I love the MGS series, but couldn't stand PO (controls and recruiting sucked IMO) and I traded in PO after playing through half the game. In the PW demo, the controls did seem a little better, but I'm still undecided.

StuBurns

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I'm surprised someone would feel this way. Wrestling with dogshit controls has always been a key feature in MGS games. I can't fathom an MGS fan passing on PW's creative brilliance just because of unwieldy controls.
This is certainly a fair comment, I guess my tastes change, and I didn't really know the MGS controls were so bad last generation, it was the game I played the most with the possible exception of the GTA series which of course controlled even worse. I just get the feel that if it was a console game, it'd be far more playable instantly. That's not to say you can't play it at a high level on PSP, I'm sure it's possible, but in the same way you could before despite it controlling like ass.

Zen said:
It's not like you can't play it with a PS3 controller, dur. :lol
How?

StuBurns said:
So I should buy a PSP Go to play this game? I still don't get to use the second analog stick, I'm not sure it's worth it.
I honestly don't see whats so bad about the controls to begin with, but if you don't like them on the PSP, I doubt you're gonna like them on the DS3.

As a PSPgo owner, I don't think it feels better to play it with a dualshock. And yes, I've tried. It's a little easier to stealth/creep, but that's a small benefit to gain from having to lay your PSP on your lap or play with video out on your TV (which is highly prone to video lag). Plus you're still using the face buttons to change the camera and you just have a perfect little analog stick just sitting there uselessly.

Dualshock 3 probably feels better than using a regular PSP, though. I think the go is just extremely comfortable to hold, so yeah.

Shadow780

StuBurns said:
So I should buy a PSP Go to play this game? I still don't get to use the second analog stick, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I play RPG/Puzzle/Strategy with default Go buttons, anything action-y I use the rumbless SIXAXIS controller, it works well.

Vamphuntr

StuBurns said:

You should never buy a console only to play one game (that's my opinion). With the Go there is a lot of great umd games you won't be able to play. You also miss out on clearance umd sales and trading back some of your games.

I was only answering the ''How to use a ps3 controller on psp'' . Don't hate on the messenger :lol

Sickboy007 said:
Is this actually bannable? :lol
I changed it but maybe it's even worse now...

Lots of people have been banned over the course of the many Peace Walker threads. Pretty much using "PS3" and "Peace Walker" in the same sentence is totally taboo. Tread lightly.

Or don't cos duckroll ain't here.

Does this game work on Custom firmware?
I don't want to buy it to find out I can't play it :_; (I will still get it regardless :p)

Vamphuntr

So do you think we will get extra content because we had to wait a month after the JP release? From what I gather, it seems were are getting less stuff. Most of the product placement DLC stuff (mountain dew, pepsi, doritos, axe) required products UPC to get. These promotions are not available in North America.

The shirts DLC will probably work since Uniqlo will sell them in the US. The Hori DLC will work too since they are releasing the accessory set it in the US at launch too.

I really want the mp3 player/walkman but it seems Sony thinks Canada is some mystical mystery land so it's not available for sale here even though it's going to be available all over the US, Europe and Asia :(.

Spiegel

autobzooty said:
Lots of people have been banned over the course of the many Peace Walker threads. Pretty much using "PS3" and "Peace Walker" in the same sentence is totally taboo. Tread lightly.

Or don't cos duckroll ain't here.

I think it stopped being bannable after Konami asked the journalists who played the game their opinion about a PSN(PS3) version. But I don't think this is the best thread to ask for a port.
Dabookerman said:
I don't want to buy it to find out I can't play it :_; (I will still get it regardless :p)

The japanese version does work with CF

StuBurns

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I was only answering the ''How to use a ps3 controller on psp'' . Don't hate on the messenger :lol
Didn't mean to imply I was hating, thanks, I actually didn't know. Still, unless you can use the second stick, I doubt it'd help all that much.

Yenrot said:
It'll probably be at most £22 at launch.
On PSN though? If so, sure. But I'm not buying UMDs anymore in case I buy a Go or PSP2. Chinatown wars is about £12 in stores, but it's still around £30 on PSN.

Dabookerman said:
If i am not mistaken, the japanese versione works only with the eboot patched, so if you have a cf i don't think you could play the game without ripping it on your ms an modifying it(dunno if is legal), the umd will probably ask you to update to the latest firmware.

Vamphuntr said:
So do you think we will get extra content because we had to wait a month after the JP release? From what I gather, it seems were are getting less stuff. Most of the product placement DLC stuff (mountain dew, pepsi, doritos, axe) required products UPC to get. These promotions are not available in North America.

The shirts DLC will probably work since Uniqlo will sell them in the US. The Hori DLC will work too since they are releasing the accessory set it in the US at launch too.

I really want the mp3 player/walkman but it seems Sony thinks Canada is some mystical mystery land so it's not available for sale here even though it's going to be available all over the US, Europe and Asia :(.

I'm really hoping that the English version has difficulty settings, because the Japanese version does not. Isn't it typical for Metal Gear games to have one harder difficulty in the western releases? Hopefully the same sort of thing will happen here, especially since we had to wait so long. :(

Yen

StuBurns said:
Didn't mean to imply I was hating, thanks, I actually didn't know. Still, unless you can use the second stick, I doubt it'd help all that much.

On PSN though? If so, sure. But I'm not buying UMDs anymore in case I buy a Go or PSP2. Chinatown wars is about £12 in stores, but it's still around £30 on PSN.
A lot of major games lately are getting good prices on PSN. Mainly from debs who are close to Sony, whether Konami fits in here I don't know. The other MG games on PSN are quite cheap and I wouldn't be suprised to find it less than £20

Minamu

autobzooty said:
Thank your lucky stars that duckroll has been conspicuously absent from this thread. :lol
You already screwed him over by quoting him though.
autobzooty said:
I'm really hoping that the English version has difficulty settings, because the Japanese version does not. Isn't it typical for Metal Gear games to have one harder difficulty in the western releases? Hopefully the same sort of thing will happen here, especially since we had to wait so long. :(
Wait, there's only one difficulty setting? o_O

adriano999 said:
If i am not mistaken, the japanese versione works only with the eboot patched, so if you have a cf i don't think you could play the game without ripping it on your ms an modifying it(dunno if is legal), the umd will probably ask you to update to the latest firmware.

Hmm. Well Alright, I'll do that.. still a bit of a hassle x_x

I think I should have another PSP ;x

Vamphuntr

Minamu said:
You already screwed him over by quoting him though.

I think there is only one because of the whole RPG aspect of it. Like in the demo, every attack do a certain amount of DMG, Snake has HP and stamina, your proficency with weapons level up after every missions. So I guess in the end he didn't balance it for multiple difficulty setting. According to people on Gfaqs, some of the 5 stars ranked missions are already extremly hard to beat anyway.

NIGHT-

StuBurns said:
This is true, for me personally, having loved the Metal Gear series since MGS1, enough to buy a PS3 for MGS4 despite not really having the cash to do so, this will be the first one I'm skipping because of it's platform. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Konami was asking journalist on there thoughts of PW coming to PS3 via PSN. That's one reason I'm holding off from buying a Psp.

Vamphuntr

NIGHT- said:
Konami was asking journalist on there thoughts of PW coming to PS3 via PSN. That's one reason I'm holding off from buying a Psp.

It's incredible on how people aren't reading the very same page they post in.

Takao

Banned
ITT: "I paid $400-$500 for a PS3 for MGS4, but no way in hell will I pay $170-$250 for MGS5".

NIGHT- said:

If I was Hideo Kojima, I know I'd be incredibly happy when corporate takes a game made for my handheld playing son, and puts it on consoles ruining various aspects of the game.

It's so sad that people are skipping/ignoring this game just because of the platform, or the nonexistent PS3-port. They are truly missing out on one of the greatest games ever made.

Minamu said:

Yeah, because of multiplayer. Each individual mission has a static difficulty rating. Works pretty much the same way as monster hunter. When searching for a match in Monster Hunter, you don't be like "Looking for a group to hunt Great Jaggi on hard mode." If you want a harder difficulty, you hunt a harder monster. Pretty much the same thing will apply here.

I'm just hoping that the game offers a good challenge. It'll be pretty disappointing if it's too easy. The stealth AI was ridiculously dumb in the demo and in the trailers that were shown. What confuses me is that I remember Kojima saying he recorded those trailers on the easiest difficulty so that he wouldn't mess up while making the trailers. But if there is no difficulty settings, then wtf was he talking about? :lol

Blu_LED said:
It's so sad that people are skipping/ignoring this game just because of the platform, or the nonexistent PS3-port. They are truly missing out on one of the greatest games ever made.

Yeah, it's a little depressing. But maybe once reviews start coming out, people will take notice and realize that it's the best in the series. PSP might get its first western system seller in that way.

PSP has a good library of games, but I think that no one really notices them because there aren't any "system sellers" for the west. Monster Hunter was a system seller for Japan, so they love the system there and are enjoying the library of games. But since MH is not so popular in the west, it didn't exactly sell a lot of systems. If people buy a PSP for MGS5, I think they will find more than enough software to satisfy their needs and the "PSP has no games" argument can be put to rest.

Vamphuntr

Blu_LED said:

<3 you tell'em Blu_Led!

BigBoss

For those of you hoping for a ps3 port you should listen to the latest KP podcast,
they confirm its never going to happen.

Top Bottom