• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

randomwab

So, I haven't been keeping up with this. I tried the demo and found it enjoyable enough so I preordered, despite disliking Portable Ops.

Can anyone tell me, do you still need to recruit soldiers like in Portable Ops? Or is it something that's there, but I can ignore?

DieH@rd

Banned
randomwab said:
Can anyone tell me, do you still need to recruit soldiers like in Portable Ops? Or is it something that's there, but I can ignore?

You recruit soldiers on field, but you don't have to carry them anymore. You can attach balloon to them, and your airborne team will pick them up.

Suzzopher

DieH@rd said:
You recruit soldiers on field, but you don't have to carry them anymore. You can attach balloon to them, and your airborne team will pick them up.

Yeah but do we have to do this? Or can we skip this aspect all together?

Reknoc

Dunno why you'd want to skip it, I found recruiting on the demo super addictive even though it didn't do anything.

It's probably kind of important in the full game though.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Suzzopher said:
Yeah but do we have to do this? Or can we skip this aspect all together?

You didn't really have to recruit anyone in Portable Ops. It just made the game harder since certain supplies/weapons aren't accessible. In the case of PW, I imagine it's not really necessary for the storyline content, but it'll be near impossible to tackle any optional/online content without outside support.

Suzzopher

spindoc said:
You didn't really have to recruit anyone in Portable Ops. It just made the game harder since certain supplies/weapons aren't accessible. In the case of PW, I imagine it's not really necessary for the storyline content, but it'll be near impossible to tackle any optional/online content without outside support.

Cheers.

Developing equipment is a must if you want to finish the game single handedly, there's no respawning ammo in this game, only a limited number of supply drops.

to clarify, by singlehandedly I was talking about single player, not lack of soldier collecting!

KTallguy

Banned
Capturing people is fun and painless in this game.
And if you don't do it, you'll miss out on a lot of the cool weapons.

54-46!

Any rewards for doing the co-op stuff? weapons, armor, recruits or anything?

I have a feeling I won't be playing a ton of it.

Varth

Same as the single player, as far as I can see. But don't deny yourself the experience. It's a totally different play mechanic, very fun and rewarding.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Damn you GAF. Making me buy this because of the hype you all have.

Bought the Peace Walker entertainment pack and accesory kit off Amazon. I'll sell my old PSP-1000, I'm not the kind of person who would get all custom firmwarey.

Minamu

Jigsaw said:
the psn version is 1,7gb,you will need additional 800mb if you want to use the ingame install option (to get more audio,like you said)
So I will need to have a 3GB+ memory stick to fully install the game? I don't really get where those additional 800MB come from though :lol I mean, those audio files must be located somewhere already so why can't it play them without installing them? o_O

Can anyone speak to the difficulty of the game? Particularly the stealth segments? I've heard a lot of people saying the bosses are appropriately hard, but if the game doesn't have any difficulty settings and the AI is as stupid as it is in the demo/trailers, it's gonna be a pretty big letdown for me.

Vamphuntr

Minamu said:
So I will need to have a 3GB+ memory stick to fully install the game? I don't really get where those additional 800MB come from though :lol I mean, those audio files must be located somewhere already so why can't it play them without installing them? o_O

My guess is that they are compressed on the umd. That and or accessing them on the umd during gameplay reduced performances.

Minamu

Vamphuntr said:
My guess is that they are compressed on the umd. That and or accessing them on the umd during gameplay reduced performances.
Good point. Thankfully, Cheap Ass GAF had a good memory stick deal.

Thrakier

Blu_LED said:
Oh sorry. No, you can't. I believe their is some PC program that allows you to do this, but I'm not sure how it's been.

Wow, that sucks. Why is there no infrastructure mode? :(

Vamphuntr

For those who played the JP version. Do you think the strategy guide is worth it? It's made by Prima Publishing :( but it's very cheap on Amazon.ca (12$ CDN).

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0307470288/

I know people in the import thread were having a hard time unlocking every pieces of equipment/weapons. Price is so low, it's tempting.

Awesome OP, and I definitely can't wait for the game. Here's hoping my girlfriend picks me up the Big Boss bundle for my birthday which is 3 days after MGS is out.

Thrakier said:
Wow, that sucks. Why is there no infrastructure mode? :(
I guess that figure that most people that will be playing this game either have a PS3 for MGS4, or are Japanese.

It is a little odd seeing as Portable Ops did have an infrastructure mode.

Vamphuntr

Blu_LED said:
I guess that figure that most people that will be playing this game either have a PS3 for MGS4, or are Japanese.

It is a little odd seeing as Portable Ops did have an infrastructure mode.

I sure hope they patch it eventually. This is a vital feature for a multiplayer game like that.

By 'better audio' do they mean better quality, or just more dialogue? A lot of PSP games have really crappy audio, so this is most welcome if it's the former; and just as welcome if it's the latter since I love optional extras.

Drame

Lately, I've had time only for portable games and I love Metal Gear Solid, so this is a match made in heaven. In other words; can't wait.

Has anyone found any other European retailer than German Amazon to take pre-orders on the accessory set?

Varth

Vamphuntr said:
For those who played the JP version. Do you think the strategy guide is worth it? It's made by Prima Publishing :( but it's very cheap on Amazon.ca (12$ CDN).

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0307470288/

I know people in the import thread were having a hard time unlocking every pieces of equipment/weapons. Price is so low, it's tempting.

I'd get it. Aside from the wonderful art it should come packed with, it's useful to know the requirements to unlock all the missions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, any updates on whether or not the final game will work on CFW PSPs straight from UMD? I'm buying this regardless, but I'm hoping I won't have to jump through hoops to actually play it.

MattNY

Zen said:
I love my PSPGo, but I think I'll get both the Physical and DD versions of this. Sure it's stupid, but I have every other MGS game in physical copy, and darnit, this is Metal Gear. :lol

It is stupid.

And I do it too. :(

I almost didn't know anything about this game until yesterday (don't have a PSP)... I decided to check it out so I searched for "Peace Walker" on Youtube, and low and behold the following videos were in the top results:

DON'T WATCH if you don't want any spoilers I guess. But there really isn't anything story-related in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb236c5Mc8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkEGonfvm8

WHAT THE FUCK? :lol :lol :lol

Kojima <3

PS. I'm amazed at how good this game looks. It almost rivals MGS3, that's incredible.

thefil

depward said:
Yeah, the lack of hype for this is really, really disappointing :(

Can't be said enough. In all likelihood the best Metal Gear Solid of all time, and almost zero interest.

Sorry if I missed it, but is this even going to be available as a digital download? If so, I assume I'll have to buy two copies if I want the Gamestop art book and a digital copy for my Go?

Only for you Kojima. You bastard ;)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's a PSP game thread, it works like non-Nintendo Wii games on GAF where the hype threads get more replies than the official ones. Don't expect this to grow much.

Anyway, I've been playing MPO to the end for the first time and I'm actually having fun building a mini-army and strolling through entire missions using the right kind of character with the enemies not paying attention to me. So glad they ditched the need to carry enemies in PW though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
vagabondarts said:
How does this differ from Portable Ops, I'm still struggling with getting into it
From what I can tell, the biggest improvements for me are...

1) Levels are no longer based on cubes and other simple geometry. PO relied very heavily on simple maps that almost felt randomly generated rather than expertly crafted. The demo of Peace Walker featured complex maps more akin to MGS3 with variation in terrain, foliage, and structures that felt like actual buildings. Portable Ops was severely limited by this issue and that is definitely something that somewhat spoiled it for me. It's not just the map design, rather, the capabilities of the engine as a whole that have improved. Peace Walker seems to allow for scenarios, map designs, and various other elements on par with a console Metal Gear title rather than the scaled down, simplified, random feel of PO.

2) Actual cutscenes in addition to the hand drawn sequences. I love the Ashley Wood comic bits, but relying solely upon them definitely took away some of the experience. Combining the two in Peace Walker seems like a smart idea.

Those two elements certainly give the game much more appeal, if you ask me.

Blame the PSP.

If it was on PS3 people would be all over it.
Unfortunately, I don't want to sacrifice CFW on my PSP-3000 and that has tempered my excitement. Until I know that I can get it running, I'm not sure what to think. :\

StuBurns

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Blame the PSP.

If it was on PS3 people would be all over it.
This is true, for me personally, having loved the Metal Gear series since MGS1, enough to buy a PS3 for MGS4 despite not really having the cash to do so, this will be the first one I'm skipping because of it's platform. I don't think I'm alone in that.

StuBurns said:
This is true, for me personally, having loved the Metal Gear series since MGS1, enough to buy a PS3 for MGS4 despite not really having the cash to do so, this will be the first one I'm skipping because of it's platform. I don't think I'm alone in that.
:lol

So stupid.....

Top Bottom