• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Deadly

autobzooty said:
Yeah it's a little confusing. Basically just join or create a room by selecting a world and a lobby (you can also search for people playing the same game as you). Then you just turn on your PSP and use it as though the person you wanna play with is in the same room as you. The PS3 will handle the rest.

If you're hosting in Peace Walker, just choose the mission you wanna play and select Host. If you're joining, you'll have to move over to the coops tab in the mission menu and select Host Search. Anyone who is in the same game room as you should show up if they're hosting.
Ah thanks. Seems pretty simple then.
Crazymoogle said:
Ad-hoc party DOES have a manual...but it just loads up the web browser and runs out of memory. :lol
Yeah I got scared for a second there. Thought something was up with the console :lol

I should be fultoning everyone I see right? The stats will get better as the game goes on, and I can weed out the lower ranked guys once I fill up?

soldat7

Blu_LED said:
I should be fultoning everyone I see right? The stats will get better as the game goes on, and I can weed out the lower ranked guys once I fill up?

Yes. At least, that's what my buddy told me and that's what I've been doing.

Zen

Banned
gibration said:
Any tips on the
torture scene?
I have tried it twice, couldn't get it and now I need a break. :p

I'm not sure about all the intricacies of that mission, but

You have two ways to escape

1. If you do well enough in the cutscene before that, you will end up stealling the scientists card before the guards stop you.

- The card can only be used once to open your own cell.

2. Go in front of the mirror in your cell, and an action prompt will come up. Snake's 'scar' is a fake and contains Iron Wire that he can use to saw through the locks on the doors. This takes time and can make some noise.

This area actually has 1 or two other neat things about it, enjoy!

Now I have a question for people for the same area.

When you're in the control room in that area, there is 'increase voltage' and 'decrease voltage', is that for the electrocution implements that the scientist lady is using in the cutscenes? If so can you sneak out of your cell, alter it, and go back into your cell to still trigger a new interrogation event?

Does it alter anything?

soldat7 said:
Yes. At least, that's what my buddy told me and that's what I've been doing.

Yep that's exactly what you should do, at least until you have all of the departments full up. It's really easy to batch dismiss guys you don't want later (which will happen quite a bit if you use the wifi recruit feature a lot.) POWs (the guys tied up in yellow) are usually your top priority in any given level (I usually save a couple of fultons for 'em) as they tend to have the best stats, at least until very late game.

Adam Prime said:
For the most part I found it easiest to just sneak up behind guards and QCQ throw them on the ground for an easy take down. Did anyone else have a rough time starting before they got good?

Not in terms of mechanics, but more just fighting with the controls. I tried hard to stick to Hunter scheme but eventually gave up and went with Shooter. I'm finding shooter to be easier to handle with the Dualshock 3 / PSP Go / TV setup though.

CQC works fine for take downs...for awhile. But they tend to get pretty resistant to the first one. In areas with just one soldier, this isn't a big deal, but in denser regions you'll want to go Mk22. (I do love CQC linking though!)

Takao

Banned
I checked the Metacritic for this game, 87. The same as Portable Ops, what the fuck. Western gaming media is stupid. How this game doesn't have a rank in the 90's, I don't know.

I'm only on Chapter 3 btw, damn school keeping me busy.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This game is the best game I've played this year.

And that's saying something. Soooo addictive! I love the mech and soldier collecting elements :D

Slime

Banned
Not only is this the best game I've played all year, it might be one of the best games I've ever played. Honestly, I haven't been this addicted to a game since maybe Final Fantasy XII or Dragon Quest VIII. So hard to put down.

Also, I find it amusing that the only real reference to Portable Ops I've encountered thusfar is Kaz saying something along the lines of "thank god we can finally leave that crappy place MPO took place behind." Yes, let's. What a colossal waste of time that game turned out to be.

Zen said:
Now I have a question for people for the same area.

When you're in the control room in that area, there is 'increase voltage' and 'decrease voltage', is that for the electrocution implements that the scientist lady is using in the cutscenes? If so can you sneak out of your cell, alter it, and go back into your cell to still trigger a new interrogation event?

Does it alter anything?

The quoted mission is awesome in coop
because in my case I was replaying in coop, and when one is being tortured the other played is able to escape (stolen card if succesful QTE or using the wire) and you're able to to reach that control room and A) decrease the voltage or even switch off the power, and is awesome how affects this the cutscene of the other player, and B) if you switch off the power or decrease the voltage and the other player survives the torture, you're able to open his door cell using another button. Indeed one of the most curious levels in coop. And hell, I almost increase the voltage only for screwing my friend lol

Drame

I'm on the verge of buying the game from PSN.

I don't have the patience to wait for my order from Zavvi to arrive. I want to play MGS now!

It's 40 Euros, but I think this if anything is worth it.

Blablurn

Drame said:
I'm on the verge of buying the game from PSN.

I don't have the patience to wait for my order from Zavvi to arrive. I want to play MGS now!

It's 40 Euros, but I think this if anything is worth it.

do it for the developers!

DiddyBop said:
An 87 is a crying shame. Im only on chapter 2 and this game blows mgs4 out the water

i agree 87 is too low for this game...its one of the best games i have played this year

im having trouble with
getting to the controller tower
damn i could really use a mid mission checkpoint here...do other missions get longer than this?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It still is total garbage how fake the 'analog' movement is in this game. I want to destroy lives everytime a guard spots me because the game decided I shifted from nub state 1(quiet) to state 2(I b fukked!) when sneaking. Find this a milion times more irritating than the rockstar A-button run argument. Awful design there.

Game is neat though. Hate Chico with every ounce of my being, but neat game.

Animal

Banned
Long time metal gear fan here.

I've never gotten around to laying metal gear 4 and I'm wondering if I should bother playing it before getting this one. What you guys think?

Yen

Animal said:
I've never gotten around to laying metal gear 4 and I'm wondering if I should bother playing it before getting this one. What you guys think?

Those that have layed it, pretend it never happened.

sturmdogg

Just finished the game's main story. Took me 26 hours 24 minutes to and I loved every minute spent playing it!

Now on to the Extra ops!

soldat7

Animal said:
Long time metal gear fan here.

MGS4 gets a lot of flak but I really liked it. I had some issues with the number and length of the cutscenes (and all the installations in between) and certain story elements really, really ticked me off. However, it's a gorgeous game, it controls extremely well, and is a heck of a lot of fun. I'd definitely play it at some point but not necessarily before Peace Walker.

suikodan

Where can I find information about coop games? Like strategies or somewhere that could explain what I can do in coop.

I played some coop with a friend and we "synched" up but what's the point of "synching"?

Takao

Banned
Ashour said:
I need some help on
fighting pupa, the bitch is driving me crazy :(

Equip both rocket launcher guns, and hide in the openings in the arena in which the Pupa sometimes drives through, but make sure to stay on the furthest side of that opening to not get hit. Hiding in there will allow most of the Pupa's attacks to become ineffective depending where it's positioned. Just fire rocket launchers at the cylinder thing it has for a head, and you're good. You'll need to get more ammo, so be vigilant when you're laying down the ammo deposit thing.

Drame

Finally got the time to start the game.

I pressume the 320mb install is enough for me as I'm using the PSN version of the game to get the voiced codecs?

Edit: Also, there's no digital manual? That's a bummer.

Yeah, I got the "50% complete" award upon beating the game. Talk about lots of postgame content. :lol I must admit I've probably spent 50% of my gametime recently exclusively on using the wifi recruit feature, though.

Drame, I think the 320mb install is enough according to this thread - I did the full install on my PSPGo though. Not sure if there's any difference...

Peff

So how does the food work exactly?Does the percentage go down after every mission or that's just because I've recruited more people and the ratio is less?

Peff said:
So how does the food work exactly?Does the percentage go down after every mission or that's just because I've recruited more people and the ratio is less?

Yep. You won't lose food over time, it's just a ratio of your Mess Hall team to your total number of soldiers.

Peff

autobzooty said:
Yep. You won't lose food over time, it's just a ratio of your Mess Hall team to your total number of soldiers.

Ah, good to know :D Thanks. Really, really enjoying it so far, I don't know why it's barely getting any buzz (but I guess it's pretty easy to guess).

Brandon F said:
It still is total garbage how fake the 'analog' movement is in this game. I want to destroy lives everytime a guard spots me because the game decided I shifted from nub state 1(quiet) to state 2(I b fukked!) when sneaking. Find this a milion times more irritating than the rockstar A-button run argument. Awful design there.

This is no longer a problem once you get the sneaking suit that muffles your footsteps.

Brandon F said:

i believe there's an option that allows you to increase the threshold for being in the "running" state with the analog nub.

Analog sensitivity i think it was called? i turned it down to 1 right away and never had a problem with accidentally running.

Jigsaw

Banned
OMFG,i just did the part where you ride
the horse
which was too awesome to put into words,man i love these comic cutscenes,they fit so perfectly in this game

love the mgs1 fanservice :D

SlickVic

Probably was answered before, but does the smaller install (320MB) also give you the added audio? Would prefer to install the 880mb one but don't have the space.

Barrett2

I'm surprised with how good i find the controls to work. Compared to Portable Ops, these controls are great. I'm having so much fun, i don't want it to end!

nolookjones said:
i agree 87 is too low for this game...its one of the best games i have played this year

im having trouble with
getting to the controller tower
damn i could really use a mid mission checkpoint here...do other missions get longer than this?

Quoting this because I'm slightly stuck on the same bit. I'm sure I'll struggle through it, but any pro tips would be welcome!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lawblob said:
I'm surprised with how good i find the controls to work. Compared to Portable Ops, these controls are great. I'm having so much fun, i don't want it to end!
Yeah really surprised by this too. On "shooter" controls, i think it's as perfect as MGS controls can get, with the limitations of the PSP controls.

Top Bottom