• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Chairhome

Deadly said:
There's I think 2-3 waves. I don't think perfect stealth is possible either.
I don't think alarms are even counted in your score during boss missions. As far as enemy troops, I fulton every soldier but one in the first squad, then keep tranquilizing him so he doesn't bother me. They won't send any more as long as there's one guy on the field.

Finally beat the chopper and troops with wonderful grenade throws. Everytime I throw one it feels like it's going to miss and I'm always suprised hen it hits everyone repelling down, even the hele.

Finally got a small chance to play this last night (only 1 hour) and although i only played for a few missions I'm really enjoying my time so far and can't wait to waste spend more time with it on the weekend.

Looking forward to trying some coop once im further into the game.

thefil

Played another couple hours and wrapped up some Perfect Stealth missions. I got all the way to the end of Extra Ops 47 (I think), and then failed because I "killed" someone CQCing them. I had thrown a smoke grenade to the battlements of the fort so I could climb up the ladder undetected, then grabbed the guy and threw him. Turned out I threw him RIGHT where the rail was low, causing him to fall to his death. :lol

soldat7

Has anyone purchased this?

2q9zbqf.jpg

I'm looking for a new PSP case and kinda want this one, but I'm not sure if it's any good:

bf3wbt.jpg

Vamphuntr

thefil said:
Played another couple hours and wrapped up some Perfect Stealth missions. I got all the way to the end of Extra Ops 47 (I think), and then failed because I "killed" someone CQCing them. I had thrown a smoke grenade to the battlements of the fort so I could climb up the ladder undetected, then grabbed the guy and threw him. Turned out I threw him RIGHT where the rail was low, causing him to fall to his death. :lol

Keep Going. You almost to the point where you unlock the good stuff.

For those who are curious. It took me about 61 hours to beat everything (all Main OPS and all extra ops alone)

Zen

Banned
They really could have stood to let you start unlocking the good stuff a little sooner in this game. I'm closer to 30 hours in (Just got
captured
) and the fact that there are snipers and the like that I saw, whom were S ranks within the first 10 missions, but STILL don't have the ability to use recover them (since they're purposefully out of reach for anything but a ranged Fulton projectile based weapon) is silly.

I mean throw me a fricking bone here, Kojima. I must be well over half way through the game at this point and it seems like the really cool gadgets are all going to be so late game that it will only matter for completion whores (of which I belong, but still).

Vamphuntr

Zen said:
They really could have stood to let you start unlocking the good stuff a little sooner in this game. I'm closer to 30 hours in (Just got
captured
) and the fact that there are snipers and the like that I saw, whom were S ranks within the first 10 missions, but STILL don't have the ability to use recover them (since they're purposefully out of reach for anything but a ranged Fulton projectile based weapon) is silly.

I mean throw me a fricking bone here, Kojima. I must be well over half way through the game at this point and it seems like the really cool gadgets are all going to be so late game that it will only matter for completion whores (of which I belong, but still).

All the cool stuff is at the end/postgame content. Like usual for the MGS game. I mean why should they give you the Fulton Launcher in the beginning? It's extremly powerful and game breaking. Should they give you the bandanna at the beginning?

The game rewards you with cool gadgets when you do difficult missions or get S Rank in some of them. To get the Carl Gustav Fulton Launcher you have to beat pretty much all of the five red skulls vehicles missions. Beating 98 will give you the schematics. It's really powerful since anything in the range of the blast will be fulton recovered. Weapons with Laser sights, infinite ammo, double functions (Rifle + shotgun 2 in 1, Rifle + Grenade Launcher 2 in 1), Sniper that tears through vehicles armors, Powerful missile launchers will all require beating difficult missions, finding the schematics in difficult missions or require a high level of R&D.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
How do you get A or S Rank on the "Head for the Control Tower" mission? I've gotten A or S on pretty much every other mission except this one -- cant get past a C no matter what I do.

Zen

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
All the cool stuff is at the end/postgame content. Like usual for the MGS game. I mean why should they give you the Fulton Launcher in the beginning? It's extremly powerful and game breaking. Should they give you the bandanna at the beginning?

The game rewards you with cool gadgets when you do difficult missions or get S Rank in some of them. To get the Carl Gustav Fulton Launcher you have to beat pretty much all of the five red skulls vehicles missions. Beating 98 will give you the schematics. It's really powerful since anything in the range of the blast will be fulton recovered. Weapons with Laser sights, infinite ammo, double functions (Rifle + shotgun 2 in 1, Rifle + Grenade Launcher 2 in 1), Sniper that tears through vehicles armors, Powerful missile launchers will all require beating difficult missions, finding the schematics in difficult missions or require a high level of R&D.

I never said that the absolute game breaking stuff should be available early on, but they could have structured the unlocked, confidential documents, etc to give out a few more neat items along the way along with high rank soldiers to recruit. In fact I would have besmirched them if they had dropped the occasional B rank that was something other than combat. They could make those a one time thing recruit/capture in the stage as to prevent early abuse and subsequent OP from farming. But the only reliable way to get B ranked R&D guys is through an extra ops mission I haven't even seen yet? I'm 30 hours in, over halfway through the game, and have plenty of S ranks to my name!

They could have done a better job at drip feeding players crunchy bits. Even with going back through an S ranking things that I've done so far, neat unlocked are very barren, as are extra ops that have a decent amount of variety. I'm not saying that they should have upended the design table or anything, but in terms of palpable rewards for my efforts, these first 30 hours have begun to feel a little thin for the last 15. It's nice that the story and levels are ramping up though.

Another point of this is how much you have to
grind the Mech bosses to get enough materials for Zeke. I've re fought Pupa 4-5 times, targeting specific areas and so forth and I'm still struggling to get enough pieces for my own Gear.

That's not to say that I can't see how rewarded the game must feel when you do break through the perceived glass ceiling that I'm looking at.

So far a lot of the Extra Ops have felt a little samey. There's only a few of them thus far that I'd play for fun beyond grinding.

All in all, it's still a very good game. I just would've liked more crunchy bits drip fed early on.

Just finished chapter 5. Not as strong of a finish as chapter 4, but I understand why it needed to exist. But after the emotional epiphany of chapter 4, chapter 5 just didn't really resonate as strongly.

My final time was 36:42:59. By far the most content rich game in the series, which is surprising given the platform. Time to go back and do Extra Ops! :D And I haven't even seen the monster hunter stuff yet. Still a lot of stuff for me to do, although now that I've gotten better at the game, the stealth is ridiculously easy. Boss battles are gonna be where the real fun and challenge lies for me.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
autobzooty said:
Just finished chapter 5. Not as strong of a finish as chapter 4, but I understand why it needed to exist. But after the emotional epiphany of chapter 4, chapter 5 just didn't really resonate as strongly.

My final time was 36:42:59. By far the most content rich game in the series, which is surprising given the platform. Time to go back and do Extra Ops! :D And I haven't even seen the monster hunter stuff yet. Still a lot of stuff for me to do, although now that I've gotten better at the game, the stealth is ridiculously easy. Boss battles are gonna be where the real fun and challenge lies for me.

If only my PSP wasn't bricked, dude... I'd play the shit of this game all day. :<

bernardobri said:
If only my PSP wasn't bricked, dude... I'd play the shit of this game all day. :<

what happened? we played the demo together just fine!

let me know if you get it fixed, i'd love to play some coop with you again.

hamchan

So I just
took out the guy with the orange jacket and got the ID to enter the lab.

How long do I have left in this game? I'm trying to clear out my backlog quickly :(

hamchan said:
So I just
took out the guy with the orange jacket and got the ID to enter the lab.

How long do I have left in this game? I'm trying to clear out my backlog quickly :(

you're about halfway through main ops.

I just spent 25 minutes whittling away at a LAV-C. I finally won, but someone please tell me that I'm doing it wrong. How can I beat these things? I shudder to think what the Cocoon battle in Extra Ops is going to be like.

nilbog21

Banned
What is the difference between the Small package and the Full package?

It told me after I bought the game that my memory card was not big enough to support the downloaded copy. So I bought a 2gb card (had to wait a week to receive it), and now it's not big enough for the Full package -_- What exactly am i missing out on? I have a 1gb card and a 2gb card... is there anything I can do? (Download the game on the 2gb card > Install the full package on the 1gb card somehow? I tried this but it didn't work)

Ugh fuck this -_-

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
someone help :( I cant take pics it says that failed to create a screenshot folder I dont know what to do, I had the japanese version and I think it worked so... Im confused ,without the camera I cant do certain extra ops ;_;

hamchan

nilbog21 said:
What is the difference between the Small package and the Full package?

It told me after I bought the game that my memory card was not big enough to support the downloaded copy. So I bought a 2gb card (had to wait a week to receive it), and now it's not big enough for the Full package -_- What exactly am i missing out on? I have a 1gb card and a 2gb card... is there anything I can do? (Download the game on the 2gb card > Install the full package on the 1gb card somehow? I tried this but it didn't work)

Ugh fuck this -_-

Small package is 300mb and is just the audio.
Large package is the same thing except with faster load times.

If you can deal with a few seconds longer loading each screen just install the small package.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm debating getting a PSP for this. The MGS pack for $200 looks nice. I also want to play Person 3 and Lunar. Grrrrrrrr, not sure! :/

Minamu

dgenx said:
someone help :( I cant take pics it says that failed to create a screenshot folder I dont know what to do, I had the japanese version and I think it worked so... Im confused ,without the camera I cant do certain extra ops ;_;
Maybe you need to create a picture folder on your memory stick manually via your pc? :S

I'm still waiting for my zavvi order to go through. "Status: Awaiting Stock Pick" is all it says, which Dead Space: Extraction did as well for a couple of weeks before getting cancelled. Doesn't bode well :(

dgenx said:

Just a guess but have you tried deleting the japanese camera folder from the xmb?

Barrett2

Just finished the
Cacoon
battle. This game is so fantastic. Im' thinking of picking up the strategy guide, I know there is probably tons of stuff I am missing in various levels.

I can't seem to find a play-time clock anywhere. I wish I knew how many hours I had sunk into the game. All games should record that.

LaneDS

Going home this weekend and going to borrow one of my younger sibling's unloved PSPs and pick up a copy of this... approximately how long does a single run through take someone?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Graphics Horse said:
Just a guess but have you tried deleting the japanese camera folder from the xmb?

where the hell is that folder?? I searched and found nothing , maybe Im lookin in the wrong place

Salaadin

LaneDS said:
Going home this weekend and going to borrow one of my younger sibling's unloved PSPs and pick up a copy of this... approximately how long does a single run through take someone?

It finished completely at 28 hours. There was some co-op in there though so its probably closer to 20.

lopes16

Neo Member
lawblob said:
Just finished the
Cacoon
battle. This game is so fantastic. Im' thinking of picking up the strategy guide, I know there is probably tons of stuff I am missing in various levels.

I can't seem to find a play-time clock anywhere. I wish I knew how many hours I had sunk into the game. All games should record that.
This game does have a play-time clock.
You can see it in the save-game file.

wow, i didn't expect peace walker 2 to eat up my ammo completely. he was down to one unit of health and i had nothing practical left but a few chaff grenades and a mine, i was pretty much done.

but wait, i got a mine? i threw a chaff grenade, walked right underneath that finely animated monster and set the mine. it was in some kind of dizzy status and stepped right on it for the win :D what a long fight. i wasted so much ammo on different parts, didn't know i would walk out empty handed.

Omikaru

A quick question about installs: I have the downloaded version from the PlayStation Store. Obviously I don't think I need to do the 800mb install to make the game run at its fastest as it's already running from my PSP Go's storage, but I do want the radio voices. Will the 320mb install suffice for that, or will I have to do the 800mb install?

Salaadin

black_vegeta said:
How many bosses are in this game?

I guess you can spoiler tag the answer.

If I remember correctly:
I think there is 6 bosses and then the final boss which has a few forms spread out across missions.

For main story... probably
around 10, counting stuff similar to the MGS3 Ocelot unit as a boss battle

There's a lot more in Extra Ops, which are just non-canon side missions.

you have to do about 50% damage to the vehicle for him to pop out. also if you have sleeping troops somewhere, get rid of them via fultron, or kill them.

Deadly

I finally got a PS3 and I downloaded Ad-Hoc Party but have no idea how it works. Was there a tutorial somewhere? I'd more than gladly play with someone if I manage to get this working :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm loving the "codec" files in this game. Optional, between missions and always accessible to listen how many times you want.

Fuu said:
I'm loving the "codec" files in this game. Optional, between missions and always accessible to listen how many times you want.

yes, and there is so many of them. easily the most voice acting in a portable game to date.

Augemitbutter said:
you have to do about 50% damage to the vehicle for him to pop out. also if you have sleeping troops somewhere, get rid of them via fultron, or kill them.
Ugh. Finally got it. Had it down to one solider, and I ran out of fultons. I had to kill him. Probably would have got an A rank if I didn't. ;_;

Deadly said:
I finally got a PS3 and I downloaded Ad-Hoc Party but have no idea how it works. Was there a tutorial somewhere? I'd more than gladly play with someone if I manage to get this working :lol

Yeah it's a little confusing. Basically just join or create a room by selecting a world and a lobby (you can also search for people playing the same game as you). Then you just turn on your PSP and use it as though the person you wanna play with is in the same room as you. The PS3 will handle the rest.

If you're hosting in Peace Walker, just choose the mission you wanna play and select Host. If you're joining, you'll have to move over to the coops tab in the mission menu and select Host Search. Anyone who is in the same game room as you should show up if they're hosting.

54-46!

Would've been cool if "Outer ops" had a Advanced Wars element to it :D hopefully they'll do that in the sequel (there has to be one!).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started the game today. LOVED the intro but I freaking died THREE times on the first mission of the game! :lol DAMN. Did that happen to everyone too? I wish there was a "quick-snap" camera button on the Shooter control scheme. That's the one that I like the most, guess I just gotta get used to it.

For the most part I found it easiest to just sneak up behind guards and QCQ throw them on the ground for an easy take down. Did anyone else have a rough time starting before they got good?

Adam Prime said:
I wish there was a "quick-snap" camera button on the Shooter control scheme. That's the one that I like the most, guess I just gotta get used to it.

You can make the aim snap to the direction Snake's facing, but I prefer the option of aiming to camera's direction. If you switch to auto-aim, I think the snap works there too.

Top Bottom