• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

54-46!

Yenrot said:
It's £14 cheaper on Amazon. Why pay £14 for better loading times?
Better loading times? doesn't the UMD install?

In any case, if he's got a PSP Go, I don't really see how he can complain about prices on PSN.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I really love this game, but there are elements of it that drive me crazy.

It's so easy to be spotted but difficult to spot enemies. In the rain forest when the game intentionally makes them hard to spot, for instance. This could normally work, but they are simply cramming too much detail in 480x272. The visuals simply aren't clear enough to support that type of gameplay well.

Is there any gadget I can research that provides a more useful scanner/rader/etc kind of thing? The sound device is not useful at all.

I still feel they designed the wrong type of Metal Gear for PSP. They should have went for more MGS2 like camera angles, gameplay, and level designs. It's impressive that they crammed so much into this game, but I think it suffers due to the low resolution.

Still, despite those complaints, I really am enjoying it a lot and the CO-OP stuff is wonderful.

dark10x said:

It's so easy to be spotted but difficult to spot enemies. In the rain forest when the game intentionally makes them hard to spot, for instance. This could normally work, but they are simply cramming too much detail in 480x272. The visuals simply aren't clear enough to support that type of gameplay well.

Is there any gadget I can research that provides a more useful scanner/rader/etc kind of thing? The sound device is not useful at all.

I still feel they designed the wrong type of Metal Gear for PSP. They should have went for more MGS2 like camera angles, gameplay, and level designs. It's impressive that they crammed so much into this game, but I think it suffers due to the low resolution.

Still, despite those complaints, I really am enjoying it a lot and the CO-OP stuff is wonderful.

NVG helps to make them stand out a bit, you still have to squint though. forgot where I got it.

yes, you can research additional tools and upgrade those in your possession.

also try to be creative in your approach on enemies, it's the same as in every other MGS.

Yen

54-46! said:
Better loading times? doesn't the UMD install?

In any case, if he's got a PSP Go, I don't really see how he can complain about prices on PSN.
Even with the 800mb install, the game would run faster off the memory than off the disc.

Vamphuntr

Augemitbutter said:
so far i beat every boss without grinding on my first try. just listen to the codec before approaching bosses and use some common sense guys ;)

it's pretty hard to die in this game with so many recovery items to choose from.

There is no way in hell you beat the MH stuff and the 5 red skulls vehicles and custom AI withouth grinding.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
dark10x said:

Completely agree. I recently played through MGS1 on PSP and felt it controlled fine. No camera to move, and I didn't have to use the nub at all. I've been playing PW via remotejoylite with a DS2 with the face buttons mapped to the right analog stick. They're not perfect, but it controls way better than actually playing it via PSP.

Some of these boss battles feel impossible and im still early on. Its so easy to run out of ammo, and they now want me to hit and break certain parts? IF I DO THAT I WONT SUCCEED.

Also, carrying only two weapons in sucks. Will that improve later on? For instance, that first mini tank battle is now an extra ops mission, but i cant complete it without bringing in two sets of rpgs leaving me without something for the guards. That really sucks.

Still, its sooooo much fucking fun to capture guys and build up that outer heaven.

EekTheKat

Slight spoilers about gadgets you get later on.

Night Vision Goggles Rank 5 is "color" night vision, and not green tinted. and it has unlimited batteries. Targets are still highlighted via "thermal" imaging.

Solition Radar Rank 5 is basically unlimited Solition Radar. Between those two it's ridiculously easy to identify targets.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be available until the post game kicks in. Least I wasn't able to get it in a normal playthrough. I'd imagine it's possible with a *lot* of recruiting and luck with S ranked recruits.

dark10x said:

Gamer @ Heart said:
Some of these boss battles feel impossible and im still early on. Its so easy to run out of ammo, and they now want me to hit and break certain parts? IF I DO THAT I WONT SUCCEED.

Also, carrying only two weapons in sucks. Will that improve later on? For instance, that first mini tank battle is now an extra ops mission, but i cant complete it without bringing in two sets of rpgs leaving me without something for the guards. That really sucks.

Still, its sooooo much fucking fun to capture guys and build up that outer heaven.

Use supply markers to restock ammo. Later on in the game you get an outfit that lets you carry three weapons.

Gamer @ Heart said:

With Battle Dress you can carry three weapons. Only boss I had to use a two rocket launcher outfit to beat was
cocoon

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
With Battle Dress you can carry three weapons. Only boss I had to use a two rocket launcher outfit to beat was
cocoon

You will need to use two launchers to beat 113, 115 and 117. Probably for some vehicle missions too.

Vamphuntr said:
You will need to use two launchers to beat 113, 115 and 117. Probably for some vehicle missions too.

Yeah I meant just for the main campaign. I can't beat those ops with three launchers and a perfectly placed support strike. :lol

Hence my desperation for coops help. I don't know what to do to get any farther. I could try stealthing it, but damn that's hard.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
Yeah I meant just for the main campaign. I can't beat those ops with three launchers and a perfectly placed support strike. :lol

Hence my desperation for coops help. I don't know what to do to get any farther. I could try stealthing it, but damn that's hard.

What is your R and D level?? Also don't use Snake use one of your soldiers that have 9999 Hp and Psyche. MOst of my guys are better than Snake. With morale you can easily have A or S in every attack attributes (Reload, Shoot, Defense) and be way better than Snake. With the Proper weapons they are all doable. I'm alone and got S so it's possible. Get the Carl Gustav Rank 5. Do you have mostly C R & D guys? B? A?

EekTheKat

Gamer @ Heart said:

Strangely enough, a
heavy machine gun with armor piercing rounds
can also do quite a lot of damage to certain targets, especially if you nail them in their weak spots. In some cases it's actually the preferred weapon for certain encounters.

Vamphuntr said:
What is your R and D level?? Also don't use Snake use one of your soldiers that have 9999 Hp and Psyche. MOst of my guys are better than Snake. With morale you can easily have A or S in every attack attributes (Reload, Shoot, Defense) and be way better than Snake. With the Proper weapons they are all doable. I'm alone and got S so it's possible. Get the Carl Gustav Rank 5. Do you have mostly C R & D guys? B? A?

R&D is at level 53. I really wanna use Snake, but I guess if I must, I'll use someone else. :lol

Most of my R&D team is rank C. I'm in the middle of rooting out all the crappy staff members I have. I'm more than willing to grind for better R&D, but I don't know where to find good dudes.

Edit: Also, Snake is still my best in everything. Highest ranked member of the combat unit is B. Looks like I really need some new staff...

Deadly

Vamphuntr said:
I got a volunteer that's S in everything for soldier. I didn't even realize it until quite a while either :D

Can someone make a # list of the dam near impossible Extra Ops missions? I know that as soon as i finally play one, my opinion of this game will quickly sour as i think its totally bullshit and i want to avoid that unpleasantness.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
R&D is at level 53. I really wanna use Snake, but I guess if I must, I'll use someone else. :lol

Most of my R&D team is rank C. I'm in the middle of rooting out all the crappy staff members I have. I'm more than willing to grind for better R&D, but I don't know where to find good dudes.

Ok to level up fast go to extra ops 49 and keep farming the 3 POWS there. They also have the metamaterial technology skills and the EM weapons skills. They will be wounded but when they are full healed two of them will have A in R & D. To get 49 though, you need to beat 102 and 91.

If they are too much for you then farm in Extra Ops 17 Fulton Recovery. It takes 5 minutes to clear and there is a 100% chance you get two guys with B in R & D. In about an hour your R&D will go up to 75+. Then go to the pooyan missions. Get an S in the last two ones to get the sniper rifle and the fulton gas mines.

Even if 91 is 5 red skulls in difficulty you can beat it easily if you know the pattern. Use a violent method first. Stay in the hangar behind from where you start. Snipe everyone with the Sniper from the pooyan mission (it has piercing rounds so 1 headshot and they are dead). When the captain shouts NOW!. Dodge roll to the sides of the hangar to dodge the missiles. Once every soldiers are dead, stay in the hangar anyway and shoot rockets at the chopper. When it loses 3 lifebars, the captain will come out and blow him up. Learn the pattern and you will be fine.

thefil

Does anyone know if there's a list of missions that give you a reward for S-rank? I'd like to know what I should be redoing.

EekTheKat

Gamer @ Heart said:
Can someone make a # list of the dam near impossible Extra Ops missions? I know that as soon as i finally play one, my opinion of this game will quickly sour as i think its totally bullshit and i want to avoid that unpleasantness.

Initially, it'll probably be the
Monster Hunter
missions.
their attacks require a lot more movement to dodge than some of the other bosses

Probably any of the
5 red skull difficulty
missions will fit into that "this is bullshit" category. Though they are beatable solo
with the Battle Armor /w Helmet
and the proper selection of weapons. Without
the Battle Armor /w Helmet
you'll go through rations like candy if you eat any sort of damage.

Getting an S rank on those missions is another story in itself.

Vamphuntr said:
Ok to level up fast go to extra ops 49 and keep farming the 3 POWS there. They also have the metamaterial technology skills and the EM weapons skills. They will be wounded but when they are full healed two of them will have A in R & D. To get 49 though, you need to beat 102 and 91.

If they are too much for you then farm in Extra Ops 17 Fulton Recovery. It takes 5 minutes to clear and there is a 100% chance you get two guys with B in R & D. In about an hour your R&D will go up to 75+. Then go to the pooyan missions. Get an S in the last two ones to get the sniper rifle and the fulton gas mines.

Even if 91 is 5 red skulls in difficulty you can beat it easily if you know the pattern. Use a violent method first. Stay in the hangar behind from where you start. Snipe everyone with the Sniper from the pooyan mission (it has piercing rounds so 1 headshot and they are dead). When the captain shouts NOW!. Dodge roll to the sides of the hangar to dodge the missiles. Once every soldiers are dead, stay in the hangar anyway and shoot rockets at the chopper. When it loses 3 lifebars, the captain will come out and blow him up. Learn the pattern and you will be fine.

I haven't unlocked 49, 91, OR 102. :|

Also, what is pooyan?

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
I haven't unlocked 49, 91, OR 102. :|

Also, what is pooyan?

Mission 63, 64 and 65. It's an hommage to the nes game. If you beat the game you should have 17. Just the clear the other fulton recovery mission to unlock it. 100% there are two B R & D guys in there.

Vamphuntr said:
Mission 63, 64 and 65. It's an hommage to the nes game. If you beat the game you should have 17. Just the clear the other fulton recovery mission to unlock it. 100% there are two B R & D guys in there.

I've cleared the fulton recovery missions up to 16 but 17 isn't there. This game hates me :lol

Pooyan just unlocked though, I'll get to work on that.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
I've cleared the fulton recovery missions up to 16 but 17 isn't there. This game hates me :lol

Pooyan just unlocked though, I'll get to work on that.

You have to beat the Version II bosses to get it I think.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
oh god i'm afraid

Don't, the version II are quite easy. Just learn the pattern.

EDIT : Can you go in mission you don't have unlocked in COOP if the host has it unlocked? I can try to make Xlink kai work. Might take a while though. I think I need to get a Static IP for it to work.

EDIT 2 : It seems with my new DSL modem I can't configure a static IP for may computer. Thanks Bell.

Vamphuntr said:
Don't, the version II are quite easy. Just learn the pattern.

EDIT : Can you go in mission you don't have unlocked in COOP if the host has it unlocked? I can try to make Xlink kai work. Might take a while though. I think I need to get a Static IP for it to work.

I'm afraid of the version II guys because they eat so many rockets before they die. takes me like 3 supply drops to put a dent in them...

But yeah, I think you can enter coop missions you haven't unlocked.

Gahhhh. How many solder waves do I have to take out before the fight with the helecoptor ends? I took out the first one silently then the helecoptor started firing missles which made me think stealth was out. I really hate these boss battles.

Edit: 7th try. This game is fucking infuriating.

Vamphuntr

Gamer @ Heart said:
Gahhhh. How many solder waves do I have to take out before the fight with the helecoptor ends? I took out the first one silently then the helecoptor started firing missles which made me think stealth was out. I really hate these boss battles.

Which one are you talking about? The one in the plot or the ones in the extra ops?

Deadly

Gamer @ Heart said:

There's I think 2-3 waves. I don't think perfect stealth is possible either.

Erigu

autobzooty said:
I've cleared the fulton recovery missions up to 16 but 17 isn't there.
If you cleared the Main Ops (
all five chapters
), it should be.
If you didn't... well get to it! ^^

Vamphuntr said:
Which one are you talking about? The one in the plot or the ones in the extra ops?
In the story. I also tried being all killy about it but the combination of rockets and troops that are impossible to evade after they spot you means my 4 pitiful rations and chips make it almost impossible to live through it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just faced the second boss (
tank battle T-72U
), after a few frustrating tries of running around like a blind rat I changed my approach and found it was much more manageable (and rewarding) to make the
commander appear, tranquilize him and acquire the tank than it was to try to destroy it while constantly running out of ammo

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
8 hours in this game
just beat chrysalis
the boss fights in this game are awesome. I think i've already fought more bosses then the entirely of MGS4.:lol

Vamphuntr

Gamer @ Heart said:
In the story. I also tried being all killy about it but the combination of rockets and troops that are impossible to evade after they spot you means my 4 pitiful rations and chips make it almost impossible to live through it.

Just use smoke grenades when he drops guys and use the CQC combo on them. Fulton them. There are fulton sys lying around in the level. Every time he drops some guys use smoke bomb + CQC. When all the soldiers are dead the captain will come out of the chopper after he losts 2-3 life bars.

Erigu said:
If you cleared the Main Ops (
all five chapters
), it should be.
If you didn't... well get to it! ^^

Oh yeah, i'm working through chapter 5 right now, so that's probably my problem.

But I can't tell what actually causes the next mission to open up. If it's clearing more Extra Ops, then I don't really have many options of missions to clear, and a lot of them are just too hard with my current gear...

Top Bottom