• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

345triangle said:
i'm playing this on my TV with PSP go and a sixaxis. it's the only way!

Im jealous. Does the right stick map to the face buttons?

Also i posed a question a couple pages back. Its story related, so if anyone has the answer.
Is Huey the dad of Otacon, and is also the guy that went on to kill himself? Also, is he the guy in the photo on the desk in MGS3? I cant think of the guys name, whos desk it was on though.

Deadly

Chip N Chance said:

Also i posed a question a couple pages back. Its story related, so if anyone has the answer.
Is Huey the dad of Otacon, and is also the guy that went on to kill himself? Also, is he the guy in the photo on the desk in MGS3? I cant think of the guys name, whos desk it was on though.
Yeah it's him. Can't answer your second question though

Konosuke

Chip N Chance said:

Yeah, we was in that photo from Granin's desk

Blablurn

33jol6p.jpg

my feelings at the moment

Wax Free Vanilla said:
seriously, what's the point of chapter 5 and how long does it last?

it's a decent game but there's always something that shits up a metal gear game
There's a secret ending.

How to unlock it:

Complete Zeke and capture Zadornov six times. Do extra ops in order to make those Zardonov missions appear.

If you haven't got the true ending you're missing out on a HUGE twist.

Drame

Any tips for the second tank?

I'm having quite hard time. I got pretty close on my last try, but I ran out of ammo.

Drame said:
Any tips for the second tank?

I'm having quite hard time. I got pretty close on my last try, but I ran out of ammo.
Here's what I always do with those types of missions: first I shoot one soldier with the MK22 (Tranq gun) and then immediately shooting the tank with the same gun in order to group them together (they don't go into alert typically but they think there is an attack so they tend to all gather on one side of the tank). When the first dude I shot finally falls asleep I immediately throw a smoke grenade and then I group CQC the remaining three. Try to throw the first dude you grab AWAY from the remaining two so that you can trigger the instant take-down CQC group combo. They don't get up at least one if you just throw them into one another. Feel free to spam smoke grenades when necessary. Hopefully you have enough to deal with them all.

Remember that when all the soldiers are finally gone the leader might not come out right away. Sometimes you need to damage the tank (I believe you need to at least remove 3 bars) before the captain comes out so bring a RPG.

how exactly do I set up my psp-2000 so I can play the game on my tv and use my sixaxis? i haven't ever tried it, but am really tempted to considering I'm not really much of a portable gamer.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What. The. Hell.

The game was sold out in the three stores I went too. Most said they only got like 2 copies too.

Goddamn it. Someone up there doesn't want me to play this game :/

Drame

Thanks for the tips, TenshiOni.

I almost got it this time. I'll just have to aim my rockets more carefully this time.

Edit: Got it! I also managed to get 4 new soldiers.

Konosuke said:
Yeah, we was in that photo from Granin's desk
Deadly said:
Yeah it's him. Can't answer your second question though
Crazy stuff.
I guess we know how his future goes. I always thought that guy in the photo wasn't related to Otacon, but rather an homage to him. Much like allot of the characters in the franchise. Because lets be honest, almost every character in Peace Walker looks like someone els. :lol

54-46! said:
Nope, that kinda sucks balls.
Bummer man. It probably would have felt awkward anyway, considering the games rotation speed was built for the four way buttons. Kinda like Ocarina, and Mario 64 being mapped to the C stick on a Gamecube controller.

Takao

Banned
Superblatt said:
how exactly do I set up my psp-2000 so I can play the game on my tv and use my sixaxis? i haven't ever tried it, but am really tempted to considering I'm not really much of a portable gamer.

You can't link a PS3 controller to a PSP 2000, it's only for PSP Go's at this point (as all other PSPs lack the ability to connect to bluetooth devices). As for displaying on TVs, you'll need a TV-out cable for the PSP, just a warning with the 2000 models you can only play games with the cable with 5 or 6 outputs rather than the one with 3, and it only works on newer TVs with the 2000 (the 3000 and Go allows Game output on all TV types).

54-46!

So, without spoiling anything.. what is chapter 5? is it related to the story or is it a boss gauntlet or something?

I'm currently at PW battle 2.

54-46! said:
So, without spoiling anything.. what is chapter 5? is it related to the story or is it a boss gauntlet or something?

Story continues. The end of chapter 4 tells you what chapter 5 is about. So far, chp5 has a ton of extra ops, but there is still something going on.

Phatcorns

Anyone want to help me get some head parts for my Metal Gear? I just need to get that to get the secret ending I guess. Not really sure how to get the parts. Send me an email with my username at gmail right now or add me on aim with my username if you want to.

Wazzim said:
Finally started this, great game, like expected from Hideo.

finally finished this, & a huge + to the rest of your post - if i believed in the concept of 'must play' games, which i don't, that's what i'd describe peace walker as :) ...

Just reached a late story mission that really sucks.
"Head to the Control Tower" basically forces you to go guns blazing and kill everything in sight, when up to this point, I've probably killed a grand total of two people. I really, really hate it when we're forced to play in this style - it's what killed some parts of MGS4 for me as well, except in MGS4 the super-action sequences were usually against robots of some kind (those little black hand things come to mind) - not regular fuckin enemies that you can recruit like in this mission. Most disappointing mission thus far.
On the plus side, it seems like it's really close to the end so hopefully there aren't more missions like it.

personally i feel like the action sequences in Peace Walker, a game that focuses on non-aggression, are infinitely better executed and more emotional than your average shooter. it feels far more climactic when you're finally forced to fight people, and it makes killing them seem more wrong. i was fighting in the big open area
where Heavens Divide starts playing
and I shot and wounded a soldier while he was way out in the open. he stumbled and was unable to walk and i proceeded to finish him off, but not before thinking how terrified he must have been at stumbling and falling helpless in a wide open area with no cover. seriously, it was pretty horrifying and brutal, and it's something that just doesn't cross your mind in games where the primary gameplay involves mowing down hordes of nameless faceless soldiers/aliens.

Pimpbaa

The silliness of a singing flying robot is really breaking my immersion. But I love stealing soldiers even though it's equally as silly.

autobzooty said:
personally i feel like the action sequences in Peace Walker, a game that focuses on non-aggression, are infinitely better executed and more emotional than your average shooter. it feels far more climactic when you're finally forced to fight people, and it makes killing them seem more wrong. i was fighting in the big open area
where Heavens Divide starts playing
and I shot and wounded a soldier while he was way out in the open. he stumbled and was unable to walk and i proceeded to finish him off, but not before thinking how terrified he must have been at stumbling and falling helpless in a wide open area with no cover. seriously, it was pretty horrifying and brutal, and it's something that just doesn't cross your mind in games where the primary gameplay involves mowing down hordes of nameless faceless soldiers/aliens.

Honestly, that's the case with all MGS games for me. I like shooters but the concept of a game where you're not forced to kill everyone remains fresh even after all these years. Both Snakes are highly trained killers, but they're not the cold-hearted mindless killing machines that characters like Nathan Drake end up looking like when you have no option but to kill the thousands of enemies you come across in a game. In Peace Walker specifically, this remains a quality of the franchise despite the T-rating and bloodless violence.

Because of that MGS games have always had a lot more impact when you kill a person; the violence feels a lot more real because, should you choose to play the way we do, you never kill a soldier unless you're absolutely forced to. And whether it's for your own survival, the morality aspect or for your no-kill record, that one rare kill has a lot more impact on you than the mindless kills in other games.

Deadly

Revolutionary said:
Just reached a late story mission that really sucks.
"Head to the Control Tower" basically forces you to go guns blazing and kill everything in sight, when up to this point, I've probably killed a grand total of two people. I really, really hate it when we're forced to play in this style - it's what killed some parts of MGS4 for me as well, except in MGS4 the super-action sequences were usually against robots of some kind (those little black hand things come to mind) - not regular fuckin enemies that you can recruit like in this mission. Most disappointing mission thus far.
On the plus side, it seems like it's really close to the end so hopefully there aren't more missions like it.
You can tranquilize everyone, it'll just be much harder and longer. But it's definitely doable, I managed to do it.

Phatcorns said:
Anyone want to help me get some head parts for my Metal Gear? I just need to get that to get the secret ending I guess. Not really sure how to get the parts. Send me an email with my username at gmail right now or add me on aim with my username if you want to.
Maybe I was just lucky but after chapter 4 was done all I had to do was rematch the Pupa Boss Battle once and Zeke was complete.

Slime

Banned
Alright, I have one complaint: I'm really sick of those "vehicle surrounded by a bunch of soldiers" missions. They are not fun, especially when the game adds more backup units.

Are there a lot more of these, or is the
Hind
battle the last one? Doubt it, but it's worth asking.

leng jai

Takao said:
You can't link a PS3 controller to a PSP 2000, it's only for PSP Go's at this point (as all other PSPs lack the ability to connect to bluetooth devices). As for displaying on TVs, you'll need a TV-out cable for the PSP, just a warning with the 2000 models you can only play games with the cable with 5 or 6 outputs rather than the one with 3, and it only works on newer TVs with the 2000 (the 3000 and Go allows Game output on all TV types).

sadface

Slime said:
Alright, I have one complaint: I'm really sick of those "vehicle surrounded by a bunch of soldiers" missions. They are not fun, especially when the game adds more backup units.

Are there a lot more of these, or is the
Hind
battle the last one? Doubt it, but it's worth asking.

i'm pretty sure that's the last story-related mission of that type...

soldat7

Bowler said:
Same boat... not sure I want to dump the cash in for 1 game. and then try and justify other game purchuses for the psp.

The PSP library is quite good at this point, and most games can be had for dirt cheap. + You can play PS1 games purchased from PSN.

leng jai

soldat7 said:
The PSP library is quite good at this point, and most games can be had for dirt cheap. + You can play PS1 games purchased from PSN.

It is unbelievably good and relatively cheap too.

Just rebought the PSP GT bundle for $250AUD and the following games:

Dissidia $25
Motorstorm Arctic Edge $29
Lumines 2 $2
Fifa 09 $4
Peace Walker $58
MGS PSX $10
FF9 $16
FF8 $16

I'm only missing a head unit, I have at least 2 for the other main parts, I have tried farming the bosses but can't seem to get the head unit completed.

Even after targetting the head unit on the boss almost exclusively. Any tips?

leng jai said:
It is unbelievably good and relatively cheap too.

Just rebought the PSP GT bundle for $250AUD and the following games:

Dissidia $25
Motorstorm Arctic Edge $29
Lumines 2 $2
Fifa 09 $4
Peace Walker $58
MGS PSX $10
FF9 $16
FF8 $16

Wait isn't MGS 16 bucks too? Unless I'm missing something...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... So I thought in this game you could scan Wi-Fi Hot Spots like in Portable Ops and get new soldiers? Where do you do that in the menu, I can't seem to find it - if it exists in this game.

Adam Prime said:
... So I thought in this game you could scan Wi-Fi Hot Spots like in Portable Ops and get new soldiers? Where do you do that in the menu, I can't seem to find it - if it exists in this game.
You can. That option should open up as you play through the story IIRC.

Is it just me or is Extra Ops 004 broken?

whenever I move to the next "booth" (which i assume is a rectangle with diagonal lines on the floor) it just doesn't register, or i'll run around and and finally i'll see some targets pop up which were in the booth i supposedly already finished according to kaz. It just doesn't seem to work that well. Anyone else have issues or tips?

Deadly said:
You can tranquilize everyone, it'll just be much harder and longer. But it's definitely doable, I managed to do it.
Oh I know it's possible. I got damn far into it without killing a soul, too, but then I get to the
third map or so, where you have to run before the gate closes... I beelined it to the exit because it seemed impossible to tranq 'em all, but at the final part of the map I was taken out within seconds by a guy with a PKM and another with an RPG. I went through all my rations in a matter of seconds. Ugh.
It's unfortunate this one doesn't have a mid-mission checkpoint of some kind cuz it's a bitch to do it all over again.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Superblatt said:

only way to do it is with custom firmware. Remotejoylite allows key mapping (I have the face buttons assigned to the right stick) and video out.

Epcott

I've just beaten the
Chrysalis... well, several times now
But I can't understand why my MSF base divisions are still capped at 50.
I've had to dismiss people left and right, since I have an overflow of troops. Is there a way to raise the cap? Or is that much later?

i'm almost finished with the last chapter now. i just don't want to beat it yet for some reason, because the next metal gear is so far away. been doing S rank for every mission, lots of fun!

Sick of people saying on various blog comment sections and forums that they want to see MGS5. Its here! This game is awesome. Theres already been some super powerful moments in this game, moreso than in MGS3 even.

anyone have tips for
peace walker 2 mission (one where its going to launch the nukes) - i cant seem to do more than 1 bar of damage?

nolookjones said:
anyone have tips for
peace walker 2 mission (one where its going to launch the nukes)

Bring
rocket launchers AND a machinegun and plenty of health items
. Heck, I'll help you now if you have a PS3 and adhoc party :D

OneMoreQuestion said:
Bring
rocket launchers AND a machinegun and plenty of health items
. Heck, I'll help you now if you have a PS3 and adhoc party :D

thanks, i have been using those items with not much luck and also i dont have psn access right now cause im still on the otheros firmware...

DualShadow said:
I'm only missing a head unit, I have at least 2 for the other main parts, I have tried farming the bosses but can't seem to get the head unit completed.

Even after targetting the head unit on the boss almost exclusively. Any tips?

1) do not target the part you want. damaging it only gets you the related boards, & reduces the chance of getting the part...

2) farm pupa. took me forever, but i finally got'm...

I was so lost on the AI pod "minigame" thing. They did a horrible job of explaining it.

Was I just suppose to pull out as many of those things as I could? I'm not even sure if I did it right. After I pulled them all out, the timer ran down and the
The Pupa starting shaking and the AI pod flew away
. Was this right?

Also, a side question, are obtaining blueprints for weapons and such random? Or does that defend on your R&D team size. Because I just beat the
Pupa
and I still don't have things like the RPG.

In the AI Pod, it's like a shopping spree. Just pull as much stuff out as you can before time expires. The number of carts there is based on what parts of the enemy you attacked. If you didn't hit much beside the AI pod, there won't be many carts and you'll just be waiting for time to expire. (There's nothing else you can do in the pod.)

Blueprints are needed to start off, but then you need different team size requirements to make each edition. So, you can't use smoke grenades until you find the blueprint, but once you do, each level requires different counts of one or more team sizes (not just R&D, although they are typically the most important.) I think you can get some blueprints just from beating missions or sending out the troops, but typically you would need to go back to a specific mission to look for a blueprint.

EDIT: Question of my own...how do I go about farming armor parts? Have never, ever received a single one.

Top Bottom